Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Cannabis

Read 9151 times
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Cannabis
      Jun 03, 2008 03:31:25 pm
      What is everyones thoughts on smoking Cannabis ?

The government are planning to upgrade  it from a catogory C to a catogory B drug which i think is pretty stupid.

I would say i smoke it about once a week or so and find it relaxing and an alternative to drinking alcohol which in many respects is much worse for you.

The main problem is mental health issues but its generally only a problem when smoking excessive amounts everyday for a long period of time.

I think its pretty hypocritical of people who drink alcohol....which most of us do, to condem cannibis when alcohol causes so many more problems apart from health issues such as anti social behaviour and the tendency for violence.

....by the way i would never touch any other drugs.

Your thoughts ?
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Cannabis
      Reply #1: Jun 03, 2008 03:51:23 pm
      I suppose its ok in moderation just like everything else, the long term side effects are only noticed on abusers of the drugs which differ from those that use it in moderation. I am not a big smoker and may take it every month or 6 weeks which is ok, I feel no addiction to it I find it good when I am under a lot of stress. I think personally alcohol is more of a problem for me as my social life at the moment is heavily revolved around drinking.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #2: Jun 03, 2008 03:54:33 pm
      Only ever done it once. Find it rather boring. Prefer just drinking myself into oblivion than doing cannabis.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #3: Jun 03, 2008 04:17:44 pm
      Obviously intoxicating your body in any way is gonna be bad, but IMO cannabis is much better than alcohol, not just in terms of health effects but also social issues. You don't really get any of the antisocial behaviour that you do with alcohol, and you don't get the hangovers either!
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #4: Jun 03, 2008 04:48:04 pm
      Much the same as other things that harm your body but we do em anyway. If I want to, I will and I think I should reserve a right to do it should I wish. I know the risks, I know the consequences but I make my own decision.
      Cy
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts |
      Reply #5: Jun 03, 2008 06:30:17 pm
      Well, this is an interesting topic. The government want to reclassified cannabis because in the last 5 to 10 years the substance itself has changed a lot.
      Cannabis can be found in different forms: Hash, Grass or weed and finally the strongest form with sinsemilla, skunk.

The main thing been that there is more and more evidence between cannabis and mental health problems like schizophrenia, although for the pshychotic side of it is far less evident unless you have previous case in your family.

The thruth is, it's illegal and I wouldn't advice anyone to use it, especially with the kind of tricks that dealers use: for example, using hair spray to make it heavier more profitable, it will make it sticky but got little to do with quality. In fact the intensity of the smell of "skunk" for example,  appears to be no guide to the actual strength either.

I'm a project worker and work with drug addicts on a daily basis, if you do smoke it, be very careful, there are a lot of very very poor quality out there.

For good information about cannabis and other drugs there are plenty of good website out there, one of many very practical and bringing clear info is: http://www.talktofrank.com/home_html.aspx

People make their own decision, I don't touch it personally. Just for info, alcohol related disease kills around 40 000/year in the UK....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #6: Jun 03, 2008 06:46:58 pm
      IMO alcohol is a much more damaging drug in terms of physical damage, emotional damage, violence, pressures on police etc.

Alcohol's legal because it can be taxed, as is smoking.  I'd be interested to hear of the number of deaths from cannabis per year - not much I'd bet.  Students have been smoking cannabis since the 60s I'd bet and I can safely walk down the street without being harrassed by schizophrenic pensioners.

The Government would much rather you were out getting smashed off your face - filling their coffers with your overpriced tax than sitting at home chatting sh*t and smoking an untaxable substance - this has nothing to do with the 'health concerns' and if you think it is then I'm afraid you really are soft in the head.
      SuperSkrtel
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      Reply #7: Jun 03, 2008 07:25:49 pm
      IMO alcohol is a much more damaging drug in terms of physical damage, emotional damage, violence, pressures on police etc.

Alcohol's legal because it can be taxed, as is smoking.  I'd be interested to hear of the number of deaths from cannabis per year - not much I'd bet.  Students have been smoking cannabis since the 60s I'd bet and I can safely walk down the street without being harrassed by schizophrenic pensioners.

The Government would much rather you were out getting smashed off your face - filling their coffers with your overpriced tax than sitting at home chatting sh*t and smoking an untaxable substance - this has nothing to do with the 'health concerns' and if you think it is then I'm afraid you really are soft in the head.
      Excellent post mate i'm a regular smoker who enjoys the relaxing qualities of the drug,In my opinion alcohol does much more serious harm to peoples lives both from a physical and social standpoint, how many families do we all know of who's lives have been ruined by the governments drug of choice.
      Prohibition of anything does'nt work just look at Chicago in the 1920's when the Volstead act was brought to fruition all it does is drive the substance underground and makes powerful millionaires out of dangerous sociopaths
      « Last Edit: Jun 03, 2008 11:27:19 pm by JD »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #8: Jun 03, 2008 08:40:13 pm
      Only done Cannabis a few times, doubt i will do it again though, i prefer to just have alcohol
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #9: Jun 03, 2008 09:42:11 pm
      I don't really know what all the fuss is about, probably what JD has said about the Government hyping up the bad side of things because they can't make tax money out of it. If it was so bad surely we'd hear about Ajax Amsterdam having the worst supporters in the world, no? Obviously people should only smoke when they're not going to drive/work etc, the same as alcohol, but until the day comes that you have to take a breath test before starting your car you should be trusted to be in full control of your capacities whether it be cannabis or alcohol.

Anyway, I have only smoked a few times since my university days, the last time being about 6-8 months ago. I don't drink to excess either like I did back then, but I do think I should have the right to do either if I want.... After all, you can't trust what the Government says, why should it be legal to destroy your body through smoking all the toxins in cigarettes or ingesting the sh*t they allow people to spray on their crops, the list is endless. Peace and liberty for all, dude.  ;)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #10: Jun 03, 2008 11:25:45 pm
      I can safely walk down the street without being harrassed by schizophrenic pensioners.

:lmao: That would be a funny image.

I watched an interesting programme a few weeks back about this (wanna be) reporter going to Amsterdam and working in one of the infamous cafes there. She'd never smoked it before and after her first shift, she tries her first spliff. After being told to have one or two pulls and then put it out so she can take time to see how she feels, she just carried on smoking it as she wasn't feeling anything straight away. Que a big whitie! She felt sick, felt paranoid and had the shakes. I'm sure some of you's know what that feels like? Anyway, after she got over her ordeal, she carried on experimenting a day later, but in moderation!! So then you could see herself really getting to grips about why a lot of people enjoy the occasional smoke. She was very relaxed, quite giggly and in a very pleasant mood. Not to mention quite partial to something sweet to eat...

Of course, this documentary was on with the major intention to show people the bad side of things, but there was no hiding the good side of things to it either. It's all about moderation. I know a few people who can't live without it and it's practically taken over their lives. I know a lot more people who have it now and again and they are as vibrant as ever with no effect on their character.

Any drug isn't good for your health, but everyone knows that anyway. Alcohol in my opinion causes a lot more trouble and is just as bad or worse. But as it's already been mentioned, tax plays a major role. I've always thought it would be funny if the argument whether cannabis should be legalised should turn on it's head and instead have an argument that alcohol should be illegal. Wonder how that would turn out?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #11: Jun 03, 2008 11:47:00 pm
      Keeping sort of on-topic - the government takes around £8 billion from UK smokers in tax each year.  Treatment of smoking related illnesses costs the NHS around £1.6 billion.

Now do you wonder why the Government hasn't banned cigarettes?

Government Duty Receipts

Beer - £3 billion
      Wine - £3 billion
      Spirits - £2.5 billion

EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #12: Jun 04, 2008 02:06:19 am
      Keeping sort of on-topic - the government takes around £8 billion from UK smokers in tax each year.  Treatment of smoking related illnesses costs the NHS around £1.6 billion.

And yet they want to try & withdraw certain treatments for smokers. As far as I'm concerned us smokers have paid enough to be at the front of the queue when we need medical attention ;D
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #13: Jun 04, 2008 03:22:29 am
      In Canada there is always the debate about trying to make it legal to have small amounts of it and it is pretty much done everywhere and there isn't much enforcement done on it because the police are after more of the hard stuff like Coke, Meth and over the counter pills.

I my-self smoke a bit of the green, once every weekend is good enough for me because when I was in uni I did a lot more and it made me really lazy. If I am bored and not out (which seems the case now a days) I will get the hot knifes going then play video games to the wee hours of the morning and no harm done. Out drinking I can be a bit of a wreck like anyone who has a few too many causing physical harm to my-self and potentially to other if something or someone rubs me the wrong way.

Like someone said above moderation is the best way to things but like anything else not everyone can do it and their in lies the problems which occur.

Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #14: Jun 04, 2008 03:47:15 am
      wooo love it!
      problem about it in Brazil is that buying drugs make you give money for whats one of the biggest problems in my country: violence. organized crime lives from selling drugs (not only canabis but a lot of others too, since they are all illegal) and nowadays they are a huge social problem, so buying it from them may get you thinking about where is your money going to. im lucky cause i have friends who are planting it on their houses, so i only have to buy from them when i want it :p but i dont smoke it that much actually, last time was in march, if im not mistaken, i only do it on special occasions with some good mates
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,912 posts | 6834 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #15: Jun 04, 2008 06:40:32 am
      One of my favourite topics.

I've been a regular smoker for some 20 years now. I used to be a lot heavier in my earlier days...when I say heavier, I mean I smoked a lot more than I do know. Never touched any other drugs as they never interested me.

I still smoke regularly but only 1 paper joints...does the trick but not on work nights, mainly on the weekends but it's at the end of the night after I've tucked the kids in bed for the night and it's my wind down relaxation time....having a spliff then lying on the couch watching the box.

I love it....I know I'll never give it up and it has always been my LFC matchday ritual to have one just before game time. It soothes the nerves just a little bit before the boys run out onto the ground. So when I get over there I'm hoping one of you wonderful people can hook me up ;)
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #16: Jun 04, 2008 02:48:30 pm
      Haha knew you were getting in there Aussie mate!

Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #17: Jun 04, 2008 02:54:19 pm
      You're all a bunch of bad stoners.

Especially you Aussie.  ;)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,912 posts | 6834 
      Reply #18: Jun 05, 2008 07:32:53 am
      Haha knew you were getting in there Aussie mate!

good habits are hard to break especially when you're not willing too ;)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,912 posts | 6834 
      Reply #19: Jun 05, 2008 07:35:38 am
      You're all a bunch of bad stoners.

Especially you Aussie.  ;)

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Why thankyou Court :D
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #20: Jun 07, 2008 11:30:28 am
      good habits are hard to break especially when you're not willing too ;)

never a truer word spoken. :D
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #21: Jun 08, 2008 11:46:04 am
      The stuff will addle your brains....
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #22: Jun 08, 2008 11:53:30 am
      The stuff will addle your brains....

Disagree, I like to think I post some good stuff on here, and some of my best posts have come whilst I'm stoned out my nut. It may make me ramble a bit sometimes but it certainly gets the old creative juices going.

Quick Reply