Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Why do you want to live in England?

Read 3234 times
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Why do you want to live in England?
      Jun 04, 2008 12:26:04 am
      It's a question I do expect to be answered and probably in good detail. Why would you want to live here?

*Prices are as expensive here as anywhere else in the world
      *The taxing system is a complete joke
      *Too many gobby chavs on the streets these days
      *The weather is as sh*t as anywhere else

If I had the money I'd be out in a flash. I don't want see my life ending in England and I'm dissapointed that I've had to have this opinion. Most people are proud of the country they live in, they support their country in all ways possible. However many English people can only critisise their own country... and I can see why!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Re: Why do you want to live in England?
      Reply #1: Jun 04, 2008 01:08:28 am
      We're arguably a more 'united' country than the likes of Spain and Italy but I bet not many of them would change places with us.

Prices are ridiculously expensive in this country.

Some people in society are financially better off if they don't work, or work part time than work full time thanks to the benefits system being wrong.

If I lost my job then I wouldn't get any money off the government until I had spent my savings, money I have spent years working to save.  How is that ever fair when I pump more tax in to the system than somebody who has never had a job?

So in answer to your question I don't understand why many people do stay in this country.  I think most people who can afford it probably choose to move abroad eventually or continually take holidays.

Obviously Liverpool FC is a big bind.  People get married, get jobs, get stuck in the routine, have their kids and before they know it they're so ground down with struggling with jobs to pay the ridiculous prices for everything that they have no chance of ever leaving.

Bit sad really.

If you're young enough, and got no ties then moving abroad may be the best thing you ever did.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #2: Jun 04, 2008 07:33:26 am
      The only reason I live/work in UK is my family are here, my mum is getting on so need to be here for her.  If I could turn the clock back a few years I would certainly go and work abroad and get the feel of living permanently in another country though.

So any young'uns out there, take the plunge and give it a go !!   ;)
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #3: Jun 04, 2008 09:28:33 am
      I think i live here because it has a good education system. i know other countries have much, much better education systems but in most countries you have to pay to go to school and can be very expensive. But i hate the weather here, yesterday it was pouring down and today it is sunny, and we never get a proper summer.

But when i am older i might have to move to America when i start working for NASA.  ;) And if that doesn't work out, i might move to Australia.
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #4: Jun 04, 2008 09:35:01 am
      Simply because of the football.

Hate Scottish football and hate seeing little colomns dedicated to english football in the papers, and when i do go down to england its always a joy to see the backpages filled about the EPL.
      RedWilly

• 9,224 posts | 1648 
      Reply #5: Jun 04, 2008 10:40:12 am
      Simply because of the football.

Hate Scottish football and hate seeing little colomns dedicated to english football in the papers, and when I do go down to england its always a joy to see the backpages filled about the EPL.
      That's another bad point about living here! Sorry to dissapoint, the press talk complete bollocks and actually just cause trouble! I'd love to move away, but 1) I'm to poor! and 2) I'm sh*t at languages I would never be able to pick it up, so if I did move away it would be to another English speaking country, like Australia!
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      Reply #6: Jun 04, 2008 10:49:07 am
      Well don't bother with Scotland, Its awful
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #7: Jun 04, 2008 10:53:03 am
      That's another bad point about living here! Sorry to dissapoint, the press talk complete bollocks and actually just cause trouble! I'd love to move away, but 1) I'm to poor! and 2) I'm sh*t at languages I would never be able to pick it up, so if I did move away it would be to another English speaking country, like Australia!

Mate be determined and you would be able to learn a new language. You learnt English so you can learn any other language. I'm like you, too fricking poor at the moment and I'm the same age as you mate but it doesn't stop me from dreaming about a move abroad.

Believe in your dreams, and you'll achive them!
      Doddzy89
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 704 posts |
      Reply #8: Jun 04, 2008 11:14:56 am
      Mate be determined and you would be able to learn a new language. You learnt English so you can learn any other language. I'm like you, too fricking poor at the moment and I'm the same age as you mate but it doesn't stop me from dreaming about a move abroad.

Believe in your dreams, and you'll achive them!

Can't live life without goals, me old man says
      Cy
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts |
      Reply #9: Jun 04, 2008 03:14:35 pm
      I moved to England 5 years ago now and I'm a bit surprised that you lads have to find reasons to stay here. You talked about finance and tax system, trust me, you wouldn't be living in France for the same reasons..

England is a land of opportunities, if you want it bad enough you can get any projects rolling. The economical situation of this country is the best in the world, the pounds is still the strongest currency in the world and there are plenty of work available. England is a country who gives you the chance to change your career if you want to, I did.

Yes, the benefits system is wrong, yes there are issues around violence and alcohol but is it really that much worse then anywhere else in Europe? Ask yourselves the question..if England is so bad why so many europeans choose to move here for a career? Talking about weather, I live in the South West and can't really complain.

Also, british people are quite unique, you guys have probably the best sense of humor in the planet, sarcasms, the English especially are the only people I know who are able to take the piss of themseves and having a laugh about it. Football! an other great reasons to stay put lads..

I think it's great to move abroad to live different experiences and learn different thing, and I will probably retired back in France but I'm very happy in England and even if the gov is pissing me off more often then I would like to, I can always go with the lads to the pub and wash it away with a few good english ales and a steack and kidney pie with a few fries!
      Koppite_1985
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 83 posts |
      Reply #10: Jun 04, 2008 03:41:59 pm
      given money and chance id emigrate to Sweden. But despite all the faults and problems in britain I'm still proud of my country and to be british. I signed up for queen n country and if im honest im not even sure id leave UK given the chance. ah well
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #11: Jun 05, 2008 07:19:46 am
      The topic is, why do you want to live in England;

1st, I'm glad you said England, and not Britian, I'm English and very proud of it.

Sorry not to go with the flow, but I think England is still a great place to live.

Having seen most of the world, the grass is not always greener, yes a lot of places have more sun than we get, but it still does not make up for them  a good place to live, because most are not.

The tax in England is one of the fairest in the world, I know we all moan about paying tax, inc. me, but we all know how much we can earn tax free, and anything after that we pay 20%, so you know where you are.
      You should see the tax in other country's its a joke.

If you fall ill, we will look after you, I know some people moan again about this, and it could be better, but what you have to remember, its there, most places don't have it, and you have to pay for it, and pay a lot.
      I for one would not like it taken away.

If you come out of work for what ever reason, we will look after you, there are some who fiddle this, but most dont, its there to look after you, and help you get back on your feet, and those who fiddle the system, or just lays gets, should get a good kick up the arse.

The education system, is still one of the best in the world.

I could go on and on, but I wont, England is a great country, yes we have a lots of faults, but it still great.

And it home of the mighty reds.  :kop5cf8koxp6:

So fly the red and white flag of England.

Have a good day.  :ernaehrung004:

Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #12: Jun 05, 2008 09:06:44 pm
      Its not England that kept me and my family here its Merseyside, my wife did fancy emigrating when the kids where younger but she wouldn't go after I filled the forms in for her and never added my own name ;D I honestly have never bought into this grass is always greener ideology that a lot of Brits have I love living on Merseyside, we aren't well off and we work bloody hard, the government may shaft you at every opportunity but do you know what that doesn't bother me so much because as I look out my bedroom window I can see across the Mersey to the Liverpool skyline, I have really good friends who I have known since primary school, when I go on a night out I have a ball and usually with people Ive never met before (yes I am that drunk who pesters you when you want to go home ;D) The city is on the up and up and on the Wirral side of the water projects are on the move and if i want fresh air the countryside is fifteen minutes from my house! so bar not having 100 degree heat.... err well never really ::) I love living here.
      RedWilly

• 9,224 posts | 1648 
      Reply #13: Jun 07, 2008 07:00:46 pm
      Well don't bother with Scotland, Its awful
      I always thought you were in Australia mate?! God knows where i got that from then!
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #14: Jun 07, 2008 07:57:28 pm
      I agree with the tax/weather/chavs thing, tis sh*t but there are the good things too like my fiancee Emma :)
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #15: Jun 08, 2008 05:45:49 pm
      Why not put this as your avatar?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,223 posts | 3394 
      Reply #16: Jun 08, 2008 10:14:19 pm
      This is my home land and I couldn't imagine living else where. As Jim Royale says "what can you do abroad that you can't do here?" Every nation has it's good and bad parts/areas/laws/people so I don't think there's much difference.
      Shoelessboy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 314 posts |
      Reply #17: Jun 09, 2008 01:57:02 pm
      Id love to live somewhere lke Sweden, taxes are rediculously high but ive been there 4 times now and love it. The culture is amazing.
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #18: Jun 09, 2008 05:35:33 pm
      good question, and im struggling to find an answer...

bacon is crap anywhere else in the world! :)

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #19: Jun 10, 2008 09:50:42 am
      Whoever is thinking Australia, i'll shoot down your plane to save you the stress. Tax system is absolutely dreadful, house prices, petrol (but where isnt it?), neccessities like food are sky high and our PM is turning into a jerk plus plenty more. The country itself has everything its just a matter of affording things and from the sounds of it, no one here has any :D
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #20: Jun 11, 2008 09:45:30 pm
      In answer to the title: I don't.

My boyf is sick of Wales (or rather, the UK) cos of all the fighting, tax, money issues, etc.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #21: Jun 11, 2008 10:15:12 pm
      The topic is, why do you want to live in England;

1st, I'm glad you said England, and not Britian, I'm English and very proud of it.

Sorry not to go with the flow, but I think England is still a great place to live.

Having seen most of the world, the grass is not always greener, yes a lot of places have more sun than we get, but it still does not make up for them a good place to live, because most are not.

The tax in England is one of the fairest in the world, I know we all moan about paying tax, inc. me, but we all know how much we can earn tax free, and anything after that we pay 20%, so you know where you are.
      You should see the tax in other country's its a joke.

If you fall ill, we will look after you, I know some people moan again about this, and it could be better, but what you have to remember, its there, most places don't have it, and you have to pay for it, and pay a lot.
      I for one would not like it taken away.

If you come out of work for what ever reason, we will look after you, there are some who fiddle this, but most dont, its there to look after you, and help you get back on your feet, and those who fiddle the system, or just lays gets, should get a good kick up the arse.

The education system, is still one of the best in the world.

I could go on and on, but I wont, England is a great country, yes we have a lots of faults, but it still great.

And it home of the mighty reds.  :kop5cf8koxp6:

So fly the red and white flag of England.

Have a good day.  :ernaehrung004:

Good post Graham, but I completely disagree about the tax part. It's not income tax it's all the hidden stealth taxes, the 17.5% VAT we pay on everything we spend our hard earned money on, the extra duty we have to pay should we choose to drink, smoke or drive, the council tax we have to pay regardless of whether we use the services it's supposed to pay for, and then even if we do the service is crap. Decide to save your money & you've got to pay tax on the interest, and God forbid you should even think about dying, not much left for your loved ones after the government have dipped their grubby hands in. This country rips the arse out of everyone, in every way possible, and not only that but then they go & spend our money frivolously. Second homes, holidays, expenses accounts for eating at fancy restaraunts, why the hell should we have to pay for all this? We are not allowed to question this though, we are expected to keep slaving away whilst giving half of everything we earn (yes half, not 20%, research has shown that when you take hidden taxes into account the average Brit gives the government 50% of their annual earnings) and just put up with it. This country absolutely rips the arse out of it's citizens, but as long as people continue to accept it they will continue to do it.
      kopkiwi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 555 posts | -6 
      Reply #22: Jun 12, 2008 01:48:21 am
      I've moving to england tale end of next year. One reason really, FOOTBALL!

I wanna be surrounded by it, see it plasted all over the news. I am sick to death of the F***ing All Blacks dominating the media over here.

"This just in, Dan Carter gets gray hair on head, NZ in melt down crisis"

Also I'm getting coaching managerment certificates too, and NZ offers no internationally recognized courses.

And just to add another reason, I like the rain and the cold, means it's footy season!

Quick Reply