Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Did Benitez really approach Chelsea for the Manager job?

Read 3844 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Did Benitez really approach Chelsea for the Manager job?
      Jun 04, 2008 09:50:22 pm

Chelsea`s quest for a new coach took a new - and unexpected - twist with the rumours from Spain that the club is seriously considering an approach from Rafa Benitez to take over the Stamford Bridge hotseat.

Today`s papers in Spain are reporting a radio programme scoop, over the weekend, that the (current) Liverpool coach made it known to the Chelsea management, via an intermediary, to let Chelsea know that Benitez would be interested in switching clubs should Chelsea make a formal approach.

Although the details are very sketchy, it would appear that Chelsea are seriously considering this approach, and that Benitez is on a shortlist that has now been narrowed down to Benitez, Mark Hughes and Luiz Philip Scolari. Despite the latter having been recommended by Fabio Capello, Chelsea are doubtful of the Brazilian, as he doesn`t speak English. Furthermore, his commitment to the Portuguese national team means that he could only be available by the end of June, a timeframe considered too late for Chelsea`s ambitions.

Whilst Mark Hughes has a number of supporters amongst the Chelsea hierarchy, apparently Rafa Benitez is rapidly gaining favour with Roman Abramovich, who has seen that he is a coach who can deliver regular participation in the finals of the Champions League, including actually winning the trophy.

What is surprising is the news that it is Benitez himself who made his interest in the vacant Chelsea position known. From what we read, Benitez has become deeply disillusioned with the complicated politics of Liverpool`s ownership and the unresolved dislike between the club`s co-owners. The fact that Messrs Gillett and Hicks are unable to be in the same room together means that Benitez` transfer plans for the summer are to be put on hold. Benitez foresees that an inability to strengthen key areas of the squad will inevitably lead to continued domestic under-achievement at Liverpool next season, with the resulting criticism.

For this reason, Benitez is attracted to the idea of working at a club where a considerably larger transfer budget could allow the Spanish coach to fashion a team that will combine the motivation needed to win cups with the necessary stamina for a long League campaign.

But Benitez` approach to Chelsea is said to be conditional. Aware that the Liverpool fans will take the coach`s 'defection` badly, he has asked that Chelsea not insist that Benitez target Liverpool players for a switch to Stamford Bridge. Those of us who remember the running saga of Steven Gerrard`s two flirtations with Chelsea will be relieved at this. Instead, Benitez will work to identify transfers on the basis of his extensive knowledge of Spanish football coupled with cherry-picking players who shine at the European Championships. Few names are mentioned other than Spain striker David Villa.

On the Chelsea side, Roman Abramovich is one of the main defenders of Benitez. Other key members of his entourage are said to be arguing that, despite recent animosity between Chelsea and Liverpool, the excellent atmosphere in which the recent Champions League semi-final took place might placate the Chelsea fans.

Whilst we consider that these rumours could have been planted by Benitez` people to unblock Liverpool`s transfer budget, there is too much detail in the Spanish radio revelations for the whole story to be completely baseless.

This particular hack is sceptical as to whether Rafa Benitez, Chelsea manager, would deliver the attractive football that Roman apparently craves. Neither do we consider that notoriously grumpy Benitez would help improve Chelsea`s public image. Nevertheless, there is no doubt that he can deliver. We would be curious to know what other fans think of this possibility.
      ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ________

Is this for real? Did Rafa benitez approach Chelsea for the vacant manager job? Or is this some cow dung?

« Last Edit: Jun 05, 2008 10:48:04 pm by JD »
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: Did Benitez really approach Chelsea for the Manager job?
      Reply #1: Jun 04, 2008 09:53:45 pm
      I don't believe a word of it mate, complete & utter bollocks if you ask me. Rafa is a man of integrity, and whilst I do feel he could walk away from the club if pushed too far, there is no way I could see him insulting all the fans that have backed him so much by joining a rival like Chelsea. If Rafa were to leave us it would be to another country, of this much I am almost certain.
      Cy
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts |
      Reply #2: Jun 04, 2008 09:56:47 pm
      I don't believe a word of it mate, complete & utter bollocks if you ask me. Rafa is a man of integrity, and whilst I do feel he could walk away from the club if pushed too far, there is no way I could see him insulting all the fans that have backed him so much by joining a rival like Chelsea. If Rafa were to leave us it would be to another country, of this much I am almost certain.

I'll second that, integrity is the key word there. I can't even imagine RAFA doing something like that. he made it clear that he love the club and want to win trophies with Liverpool. This is an other absolute utterly bollocks story.
      solodee
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #3: Jun 04, 2008 10:01:02 pm
      To plant stuff like this in the press is sickening. This is probably someone's idea of a sick joke or worse still, some dimwit's idea of mind games!
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #4: Jun 04, 2008 10:01:21 pm
      Another shitty attempt to de-stable Liverpool football club... "yawn"...
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #5: Jun 04, 2008 10:06:27 pm
      BOLLOXS
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #6: Jun 04, 2008 10:10:48 pm
      Ill cut my b**ls off if thats true. He wouldnt go to his hometown club why would he go to them shams? This is the press at there very worst. Rafa has now on several occasions stated how happy he and his family are in Liverpool what more must he do or say? However Ill admit that while the behind the sceens stae of play at Liverpool continues we may prepare for more of this sh*te talk from the press

In the meantime think of how many times Rafa has staed his love of Liverpool and laugh off these kind of stories 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #7: Jun 04, 2008 10:11:08 pm
      Bullshit
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #8: Jun 04, 2008 10:14:47 pm
      Such a massive shame for this story to rear it's ugly head to overshadow what should be a really happy day for Rafa and his family.

Expect the papers to go absolutely crazy over this one.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #9: Jun 04, 2008 10:17:46 pm
      Nelson Mandela just found out.

::)
      Swinton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,984 posts | 42 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest...
      Reply #10: Jun 04, 2008 10:20:28 pm
      Although the details are very sketchy, it would appear that Chelsea are seriously considering this approach, and that Benitez is on a shortlist that has now been narrowed down to Benitez, Mark Hughes and Luiz Philip Scolari. Despite the latter having been recommended by Fabio Capello, Chelsea are doubtful of the Brazilian, as he doesn`t speak English. Furthermore, his commitment to the Portuguese national team means that he could only be available by the end of June, a timeframe considered too late for Chelsea`s ambitions.

Hes now the Man City boss is he not?
      and with Scolari not an option due to lateness, this would leave Rafa the lone candidate?

Bollocks Mate.
      SuperSkrtel
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      Reply #11: Jun 04, 2008 10:51:41 pm
      Nonsense just like the Torres bullshit that was doing the rounds a few weeks ago. Why would any manager in their right minds want to go to a club who sacked their previous manager for missing out on the CL on pens and the prem on goal difference.
      100% unadulderated poo poo
      MsGerrard
      Reply #12: Jun 04, 2008 11:04:45 pm

There is NO WAY that Rafa would consider taking the post at Chelsea, not a cat in hell's chance, he just wouldn't.

He's too much of a gentleman and has so much love for Liverpool to bother with them.

Bit quiet on the news front was it today.......you scummy tabloids  :f_steam:
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #13: Jun 04, 2008 11:08:10 pm
      in a word... NO In 2 words F*CK NO
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #14: Jun 04, 2008 11:49:27 pm
      The papers are taking it too far, this is ridiculous. How do you expect a man to work with all this going on its ridiculous it cant continue.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #15: Jun 04, 2008 11:52:41 pm
      What makes me laugh is that they can sit there and make up stories, and actually have the right to send it out.

Just don't listen to a word you hear and I'm sure Rafa will say something if this continues...
      red1
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts |
      Reply #16: Jun 05, 2008 12:40:10 am
      bullshit just like the Torres link to chelski - in RAFA we have the utmost trust
      LazyFingers
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 892 posts | 22 
      Reply #17: Jun 05, 2008 12:50:07 am
      It's just media making up storys, let it go in one ear and out the other. Benitez won't leave us, unless the cnuts make him. And he definitely wouldn't go to Chelsea, I can't even imagine him going to another English team when he does leave, which I'm sure if it's up to him won't be for a very long time.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #18: Jun 05, 2008 01:58:31 am
      Like most I cannot see Rafa going to an English club when he leaves us and some one is playing games....
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #19: Jun 05, 2008 01:59:33 am
      I have no doubt that this is complete and utter unadulterated bullshit.

When is this country actually going to do something about the complete and utter lies that get printed in its media.

It honestly is beyond believe the way people can just freely make things up and attempt to spread it as fact.

Rant over.
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #20: Jun 05, 2008 03:37:40 am
      This i disgraceful the media should be ashamed of themselves what should be a happy day for Rafa these idiots are making sh*t up to stir him.

tw*ts  :f_steam:
      Redhead
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 93 posts |
      Reply #21: Jun 05, 2008 09:51:18 am
      I needed a laugh this morning and reading that well lets just say me sides are done in its that hilarious and so far fetched must have been written by a bitters.

Mind you sayin that im a bit dissapointed that a thread could even be started with the headline that was there. Any self respecting reds fan wouldnt even question the integrity of the manager. But maybe thats just me being a Raffa happy clapper.

Still laughin though
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,728 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #22: Jun 05, 2008 09:54:21 am
      bullshit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: ;D
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #23: Jun 05, 2008 10:07:43 am
      Obviously a big pile of bull sh*te , but it does make you laugh though.
      kwame30
      • Forum John Barnes

• 420 posts |
      Reply #24: Jun 05, 2008 10:40:16 am
      The media is trying to get Rafa the sack and will try any and every thing to do so
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #25: Jun 05, 2008 10:43:58 am
      I think this topic should be f***in locked, its discusting trash.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #26: Jun 05, 2008 10:47:50 am
      I'd not noticed this thread until now...

It doesn't make me laugh, it just makes me tired to keep reading this junk.

Not worth wiping your arse on some of these stories IMHO. If this carries on next they'll come up with Dalgleish to be Bitters manager or LFC to share a ground with Everton.... oops! :f_tongueincheek:
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #27: Jun 05, 2008 10:58:15 am
      I have to laugh at all the bullshit written about liverpool fc Ayrton because if i didn't ide probably have nervous break down, so much of it about.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #28: Jun 05, 2008 10:58:56 am
      Journo: 'Slow day today, whip out the usual'
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #29: Jun 05, 2008 10:59:56 am

Totally agree read this yesterday and didnt even bother starting a thread because the source from which it comes it well known for bullshit..
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #30: Jun 05, 2008 11:00:28 am
      I have to laugh at all the bullshit written about liverpool fc Ayrton because if i didn't ide probably have nervous break down, so much of it about.

I know, sometimes it makes me laugh, other times it pisses me off, I guess it depends on the mood I'm in! ;)
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6821 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #31: Jun 05, 2008 12:30:34 pm
      What a crock of sh*t...the person who wrote this sh*t is undoubtedly a big F***ing  :tosser:
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #32: Jun 05, 2008 03:01:05 pm
      ABSOLUTE MASSIVE GENUINE REAL AUTHENTIC

B O L L O C K S

IDRWT
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #33: Jun 05, 2008 05:07:01 pm
      Biggest load of sh*te ever !!  Why would Rafa leave the greatest club in the land ?

Topic locked
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #34: Jun 05, 2008 10:49:08 pm
      The biggest bullshit story of the year.

Quick Reply