Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

£20 million to one Villa

Read 8074 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      £20 million to one Villa
      Jun 15, 2008 07:02:05 pm
      I know there is a David Villa transfer topic http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,1417.0.html
      and a Gareth Barry one http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,7408.0.html.

But.....

We've wasted far too long on this Gareth Barry business.  They want £20 million?  No chance.

I know where £20 million could be far better spent.

Surely it's a no brainer?

Who's more likely to help us to a title - Gareth Barry or David Villa?

If Torres gets injured what will happen to our season? Who will score our goals?

Am I missing something here?  Do we really need another midfielder more desperately than a striker?

Rafa, I implore you. 

Keep Xabi, buy Villa and ditch Barry.

« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2008 08:29:39 pm by JD »
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Re: £20 million to one Villa
      Reply #1: Jun 15, 2008 07:15:07 pm
      This is very much so, a massively debatable topic.  I can see where you are coming from JD. 

But as I've just mentioned in the Quota System Thread, Rafa could be worrying over the 5 by 6 rule that could be in place soon.

I know I would much rather go for David Villa.  But if it wasn't for this F***ing pressurising rule that isn't even in place it's casting doubt in Rafa's mind.  I'm sure.

We'll just have to wait and see over this one.  Let UEFA sort out this rule and see what they are actually going to do with it and then make a decision.  But if only it was that easy. 

We could be sitting on the fence for this one for a while actually, and I definitely hope we don't miss either boat given the chance.

lfcreds27
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 138 posts | -5 
      Reply #2: Jun 15, 2008 07:32:58 pm
      Why can't we get both?

Barry at £20m is ridiculous, good player but not worth more than £16m for me.

Villa will be around £25-35m so we need to save some money on Barry.

Agree completely Barry would improve Gerrard's game but Villa will improve his,Torres's, Gerrard's and all other assisters.

Who knows Villa could do what Torres did and score over 30 goals in his first season.

Even thinking of the possible Torres-Villa combo has me wanting next season to hurry up and arrive.

Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #3: Jun 15, 2008 07:35:28 pm
      Even thinking of the possible Torres-Villa combo has me wanting next season to hurry up and arrive.

And the Euro's to hurry up.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #4: Jun 15, 2008 07:37:23 pm
      I dont think that rule will come in, if it does we do actually have english players and we can get people like bentley for less than we are being asked for to get barry. The thing that annoys me is we seem not to have learnt that spending alot of time concentrating on one target can make you miss out on others, i hope that doesnt happen ever again.

David is the far superior signing. In all honesty, I'd be more impressed with us buying a young central prospect e.g. michael johnson from man city (for the english rule thing) then villa with some other players we need than barry for way more than he is worth.

The targets are there, i mean who wouldnt be happy with us using the £20 million they want for barry with the money from alonso's (imminent it seems :() sale to get villa then swapping crouch for kranjcar for the left wing and using the money from sales of people like carson, riise, pennant and the others that seem like they will leave for someone like bentley for the right wing (another english player incase the rule comes in).
      emsy28
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 545 posts | 12 
      Reply #5: Jun 15, 2008 07:41:49 pm
      I'm far more concerned about winning the league next season & stopping united equaling our records than worrying about a ruling that hasn't come in yet!i hope to god we ditch the average player for 20 mil & buy the match winner who allready has an understanding with our main striker!
      i can understand why some people are concerned about the uefa home players rule but surely arsenal would be in a worse position than us!
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #6: Jun 15, 2008 08:22:30 pm
      Well i for one would blow the budget on Villa the understanding he and Torres have is what we have been lacking upfront i think we are ok in midfield and if it came to choice of Barry or Villa well its a no brainer for me,we can dream
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #7: Jun 15, 2008 08:23:37 pm
      This is very much so, a massively debatable topic.  I can see where you are coming from JD. 

But as I've just mentioned in the Quota System Thread, Rafa could be worrying over the 5 by 6 rule that could be in place soon.

I know I would much rather go for David Villa.  But if it wasn't for this F***ing pressurising rule that isn't even in place it's casting doubt in Rafa's mind.  I'm sure.

We'll just have to wait and see over this one.  Let UEFA sort out this rule and see what they are actually going to do with it and then make a decision.  But if only it was that easy. 

We could be sitting on the fence for this one for a while actually, and I definitely hope we don't miss either boat given the chance.

It's not so much the FIFA 5/6-rule for 2012 season as the UEFA's 8 english players (Including subs) for the Champions League next season. I prefer Villa by a million mile, but Barry is quota-necessary!
      livercool
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 86 posts | -5 
      Reply #8: Jun 15, 2008 08:59:59 pm
      Barry will be 30/31 in 2012 , so i dont think Rafa is thinking that way. I will take it one season at a time if i was Rafa.
      It's not so much the FIFA 5/6-rule for 2012 season as the UEFA's 8 english players (Including subs) for the Champions League next season. I prefer Villa by a million mile, but Barry is quota-necessary!
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,727 posts | 3741 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #9: Jun 15, 2008 09:12:37 pm
      I know there is a David Villa transfer topic http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,1417.0.html
      and a Gareth Barry one http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,7408.0.html.

But.....

We've wasted far too long on this Gareth Barry business.  They want £20 million?  No chance.

I know where £20 million could be far better spent.

Surely it's a no brainer?

If Torres gets injured what will happen to our season? Who will score our goals?

Am I missing something here?  Do we really need another midfielder more desperately than a striker?

Rafa, I implore you. 

Keep Xabi, buy Villa and ditch Barry.

I agree with you mate.
      No thanks A.Villa, We NEED D.Villa not Barry.But if rafa brings him we need to support him through out his liverpool life.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #10: Jun 15, 2008 09:12:41 pm
      I think it's a nice dream to sign Villa but realistically I doubt the board would give up on Barry on the off chance that we could sign Villa only for him to go Barca or Real or worse the chavs! but we DO need another quality striker like you say who will get the goals if Torres is out?

With Crouch set to go to Pompey and Kuyt currently being used as a right winger we definitely need another striker for next season to give Torres a bit of support, who else is out there and how much will he cost I think is the next question we should be looking to answer.

But yeah if we sign Villa that would be immense ;)
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #11: Jun 15, 2008 09:13:12 pm
      Barry will be 30/31 in 2012 , so I dont think Rafa is thinking that way. I will take it one season at a time if I was Rafa.

There is supposed to be a new UEFA rule that mandates that 8 english players must be part of each english team playing in the Champions league. I Think........
      Torresinho
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #12: Jun 15, 2008 09:44:24 pm
      Sell Alonso, ditch Barry, buy Villa, buy Giovinco, buy Balotelli.
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #13: Jun 15, 2008 10:00:45 pm

Yes because whoever Giovinco is, he'll be able to replace Alonso in the first XI and will bring a lot more to the team obviously... Where have you even got that name from? Football Manager?
      Torresinho
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #14: Jun 15, 2008 10:07:03 pm
      Look at youtube for Giovinco :o .

We've got Masch, Gerrard, Lucas, Plessis who can do it for us.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #15: Jun 15, 2008 10:07:35 pm

Why buy Balotelli if we get Villa because we would have kuyt too and it means one of them would be on the bench alot and thats the reason balotelli wants to leave inter anyway. Plus we have Babel so if we need another striker at times then he could cover. I would much rather it be Keep Alonso, ditch barry, buy Villa and not get the other 2.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #16: Jun 15, 2008 10:08:09 pm
      There is supposed to be a new UEFA rule that mandates that 8 english players must be part of each english team playing in the Champions league. I Think........

Seems unlikely. which of the top 4 had 8 last year ? because not many have been linked to english players bar us.
      jakkeo
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts |
      Reply #17: Jun 15, 2008 10:19:02 pm

I hear they cant use this rule because the EU wont allow it or something? but i do think we have wasted to much time and i already think £12 million is too much for Barry. Barry has already stated he wants to leave Villa £10 million at the very most i think. Id love to see Villa in a Liverpool shirt.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #18: Jun 15, 2008 10:36:49 pm
      Rafa is not the sort of man to suffer fools blindly and O'Neil is taking the micky out of Rafa and I can't see Rafa bothering any more everytime Rafa has uped the offer O'Neil has moved the goalposts so now may be the time to let it go.

Raffa knew all along that O'Neil would try to keep Barry but the way O'Neil has gone about doing that has been underhanded and without a thought for the player involved so now Barry knows what O'Neil is like and what he will do until he slows a bit with age and that's not to long away now 3 - 5 yrs at most, O'Neil may find an unhappy player on his hands and I for one thinks he deserves that. Fingers crossed that Barry sticks one finger up toward's O'Neil....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #19: Jun 15, 2008 11:15:24 pm

Fine.  Still buy Villa. It's the Premiership we want.
      The French
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #20: Jun 16, 2008 01:20:02 am
      David Villa can play on the left wing in a 4-2-3-1 and as a striker.

So he can at the same time be a worthy substitute to Torres (who isn't a machine) and have enough game time due to the statute he holds.

If playing on the left isn't a handicap for him, and if we can get the money, I would like to see him joining us. He scores loads of goals and seems to be a thorough striker. I'd rather see him on the left wing than Barry, Babel, Benayoun... 2 players in 1 as he can play in both positions. And moreover a confirmed one... We need some guarantees.
      « Last Edit: Jun 16, 2008 01:22:10 am by The French »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #21: Jun 16, 2008 06:47:25 am
      Also, his goal V Sweden was made from a run down the left. A big improvement om Babel who can be shifted to the right.

What i'm worried about though is what about Ryan Babel? People seem to be disinterested in him and concentrating on Villa. I think we should revert to the 4-4-2 if we get Villa. We can accomodate for all 3 plus Gerrard and Masch down the middle and Bentley down the right *drools*.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #22: Jun 16, 2008 08:47:29 am
      Quote from: solodee on Yesterday at 09:13:12 PM

Forget Quotas no matter where they come from.  Are Arsenal running around trying to get English players on board?  They know EU legislation will not allow any restriction of EU players plying their trade anywhere in the EU.

If David Villa is available for £20m we should buy him as soon as possible.  He's already demonstarted he can play well with Nando so it's just a no brainer for me.  Are the funds available to make such a purchase?

I don't think we should offer any more for Barry than we have already offered.  If we pull out now O'Neil will have one very unhappy player on his hands.  This would be no more than he deserves given the infantile attitude he has adopted just because Barry wants a chance to play at the highest level rather than stick with the also ran team he is managing.

I'm still worried that once again we seem to be bargain basement buying and where this will leave us in the ever improving Premiership. 
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #23: Jun 16, 2008 09:00:06 am
      Quote from: solodee on Yesterday at 09:13:12 PM
      Forget Quotas no matter where they come from.  Are Arsenal running around trying to get English players on board?  They know EU legislation will not allow any restriction of EU players plying their trade anywhere in the EU.

If David Villa is available for £20m we should buy him as soon as possible.  He's already demonstarted he can play well with Nando so it's just a no brainer for me.  Are the funds available to make such a purchase?

I don't think we should offer any more for Barry than we have already offered.  If we pull out now O'Neil will have one very unhappy player on his hands.  This would be no more than he deserves given the infantile attitude he has adopted just because Barry wants a chance to play at the highest level rather than stick with the also ran team he is managing.

I'm still worried that once again we seem to be bargain basement buying and where this will leave us in the ever improving Premiership. 

Oldred I agree with you 100%, I think RAFA is wise enough not to pay any more for Barry,If Barry does not sign for us then ONeil will be the big time loser with a very disgruntled player on his staff.Regarding Villa if RAFA can squeeze the finance out of the yanks we should go for him. I did read on another sports page that Villa would love to play for us alongside Torres.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #24: Jun 16, 2008 09:37:55 am

The 6-5 rule will never be instigated for European players, for the rest of the world maybe!
      The European treaty simply doesn't allow such restriction's to be placed on EEC citizens!   (subject of a previous topic)
      Whether or not, you'd have to find a place for Villa....
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #25: Jun 16, 2008 09:50:17 am
      Have I been missing something the last few seasons... Is Barry that good???? GBP 20M????????????

Are we mad? ...how desperate do we look to pay that much for the lad... Gerrard saying he was desperate for his mate to join wasn't particularly bright? (Why on earth did Stevie come out in public and say that?? ...to pressurise Rafa... to screw-up Parry's negotiation?)

Xabi going isn't good news either...

All we hear about ...is Milner, Downing, Bentley and the star that is (not) Barry.

What happened to Villa, Quaresma, Berbatov, Silva??? PROVEN WORLD CLASS PLAYERS.

I love Rafa to bits... but things just are not adding up at the minute.

Are we that skint... is there that little money to spend in the kitty IF we don't sell Xabi...

IF SO...

Are we still dreaming of No.19 for next season??????

Coffee.

Wake.

Up.

Smell.

I.R.W.T.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #26: Jun 16, 2008 10:20:53 am
      While i agree with not spending 20m on Barry, why is it considered 'wasting money' on him while Scum can pay 18 million and 25 million for Carrick and Hargreaves respectively when i would take Barry over them anyday ???
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #27: Jun 16, 2008 12:17:53 pm
      I posted this in another thread but i think its catchy enough:

Screw Villa... We want Villa!

:D
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #28: Jun 16, 2008 01:24:43 pm
      this quota system at the earliest will not be in till the end of 2011 and even at that its already being ruled ilegal by the eu, at the stage barry will be in his 30's. a poor argument for signing barry over villa, villa is an established international superstar and has being consistenly brillant for spain over the last 5 years, barry still has it all to prove on the international scene and is actually older than villa, what suprises me most is that people on here are talking about villa now as if he has just burst onto the scene, is barry worth 20 million, no, is he worth 10 million, maybe, is villa worth 25million, yes, will he cost more, prob, villa is the type of player needed to bridge the gap for us, barry is the type of player that will keep us on the coat tails of the other 3 without ever catching them, thats the difference.
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #29: Jun 16, 2008 01:48:05 pm
      While I agree with not spending 20m on Barry, why is it considered 'wasting money' on him while Scum can pay 18 million and 25 million for Carrick and Hargreaves respectively when I would take Barry over them anyday ???
      exactly!

If we want Barry, then we have to pay the going rate.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #30: Jun 16, 2008 01:55:42 pm
      If we paid £10mil for Barry that would be more than enough hes nowhere near worth £20mil Villa are totally off the scale with that value,as for David Villa we should break the bank to get him but reading in the papers today it sounds as though he wants to stay in Spain with either Barca or Real.
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #31: Jun 16, 2008 01:58:22 pm
      villa is an established international superstar and has being consistenly brillant for spain over the last 5 years, barry still has it all to prove on the international scene and is actually older than villa, what suprises me most is that people on here are talking about villa now as if he has just burst onto the scene, is barry worth 20 million, no, is he worth 10 million, maybe, is villa worth 25million, yes, will he cost more, prob, villa is the type of player needed to bridge the gap for us, barry is the type of player that will keep us on the coat tails of the other 3 without ever catching them, thats the difference.
      I don't know why you are comparing David Villa and Gareth Barry.  One is a striker and the other a midfielder.

And what is it with buying so-called 'superstars'.  Andriy Shevchenko was a far bigger name than David Villa....and Chelsea paid 30 million for just two summers ago for the Ukranian.  I don't need to go into detail about how rubbish he has been in the Premiership.

And beyond knocking over an awful Russian defence, and struggling to beat Sweden, do we even have any evidence to suggest that Torres and Villa could play together?  Didn't Spain struggle to get to these Euro championships?  Mighty Northern Ireland humbled them in Belfast IIRC.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #32: Jun 16, 2008 02:27:47 pm
      I don't know why you are comparing David Villa and Gareth Barry.  One is a striker and the other a midfielder.

And what is it with buying so-called 'superstars'.  Andriy Shevchenko was a far bigger name than David Villa....and Chelsea paid 30 million for just two summers ago for the Ukranian.  I don't need to go into detail about how rubbish he has been in the Premiership.

And beyond knocking over an awful Russian defence, and struggling to beat Sweden, do we even have any evidence to suggest that Torres and Villa could play together?  Didn't Spain struggle to get to these Euro championships?  Mighty Northern Ireland humbled them in Belfast IIRC.

Please tell me your not comparing David Villa a striker who has prooven himself IMO and in his prime. To shevchenko who the majority of people who had a speck of footballing knowledge knew was just too slow for the premiership. Villa posses the pace power strength and the finshing to truoble any defence in the world. And the argument of the Russian defence is rather poor as its better than the majority of the premiership defence IMO, as is the sweedish defence. Besides if anyone here is like me in the slightest you just know if a player will do well theres something about Villa that tells me that he will do really well, as there was about Torres and as there was not for shevchenko. And Garath Barry and David Bently for that matter
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #33: Jun 16, 2008 03:04:20 pm
      Please tell me your not comparing David Villa a striker who has prooven himself IMO and in his prime. To shevchenko who the majority of people who had a speck of footballing knowledge knew was just too slow for the premiership. Villa posses the pace power strength and the finshing to truoble any defence in the world. And the argument of the Russian defence is rather poor as its better than the majority of the premiership defence IMO, as is the sweedish defence. Besides if anyone here is like me in the slightest you just know if a player will do well theres something about Villa that tells me that he will do really well, as there was about Torres and as there was not for shevchenko. And Garath Barry and David Bently for that matter
      rather than offering an objective assesssment, you sound more like David Villa's agent.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #34: Jun 16, 2008 03:29:51 pm
      I do find it funny that Rafa seems to be the only manager who is worrying about the potential of a law on players coming in when you have the likes of Arsenal and Chelsea don't seem to worry about it. I don't see Seth Blatters 6+5 rule coming in because of the EU laws but I believe this home grown player rule will be implemented at some point because it doesn't directly break EU law but this discussion is for another time.

As I said before I would much rather spend our funds on a attacking mid who will chip in with a fair number of goals and make goals as well. We seen Silva do that for Torres goal but people are still getting a semi on for David Villa (Can't say I blame him). As for the topic in discussion I think it is really tough to compare two players who play different roles because you know the player scoring goals will always win and this is why I much rather Villa. The side lacked a bit of cutting edge when Torres or Gerrard weren't firing so to add one more match winner to the mix would be good to see but I have a feeling unless he slows down with the scoring his price will continue to rise to silly amounts.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #35: Jun 16, 2008 03:57:51 pm
      rather than offering an objective assesssment, you sound more like David Villa's agent.

And what if i am :P

I just dont see how you can think that Villa wont do it, he's in the same team as torres and has more goals than him, and i no that its impossible to say torres didnt do well and Villa has looked just as impressive as nando in a spain shirt so i really... really dont see how you can argue that villa isnt good enough
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,260 posts | 2856 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #36: Jun 16, 2008 07:24:22 pm
      I've been away over the weekend, so I've missed a lot, but if it is a choice between D.Villa, or G.Barry for £20m my vote goes for Villa. I have only seen him a couple of times in the Euros, but people have been raving about him for some time. If Stevie wants G.Barry to play along side him so much, then maybe he can put some of his considerable fortune towards the fee, and if Barry wants to play for LFC then maybe he can put some funds towards the fee too. Controversial and maybe daft, but my vote is for Villa.
      As for the EU employment laws, it has been said it is illegal, and any change in the law should and must not be retrospective, Inter Milan , or  F.C. Internazionale Milano were founded in 1908 and was open to non-italian, Are Uefa going to deign Inter their History?
      LFC LEGENDS
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 98 posts | -1 
      • Ynwa
      Reply #37: Jun 16, 2008 10:56:30 pm
      Ok i would much prefer to see us sign David Villa for the 20mil thats bing suggested as he is the type of world class player we need to be signing to compete for the title which we have not even come near to! I would also love to see us sign Barry but not be taken to the cleaners by Villa 14mil at most!

It may be possible to sign both as If we could bargin Villa with 14 mil for from the Alonso deal and Finnan going there to replace Melberg at right back if that was possible we could get Barry.It also looks like Crouch is going to Poppy by the way harry is talking for a fee in the region of 10mil and if we were to make anyway near 5mil for Riise that hes being linked to Roma thats 15mil in that could goes toward an offer for David Villa and im sure that the yanks could dig into their pockets for 5mil or so if there anyway serious about things.Of course we have already spent 7mil on Dosenna if thats confirmed and where has that cash come from?

All of this is in a perfect world!!

But heres what i think after having a discussion with my brother he completely killed my hopes that we would sign David Villa as the fact is the last 3 prem titles have been won by Chavski and the Scum twice.When we look at the formation they played the majority of the time it was 4-5-1.Thats exactly the way Rafa ended last season as we all know its the best formation to bring results.Personally i belive its our best best formation aswell as we get the best out of our main attacking players with this formation.As if we were to sign Villa we would be playing 4-4-2 as not a chance we could leave Torres or Villa on the bench.With 4-4-2 we become weak in mid-field as Gerrard postional sense isnt good as we get the best from him in the last third of the pitch and he is wasted when he is restricted from doing this and Rafa wants a strong core.

Does anyone agree with me on this!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #38: Jun 16, 2008 11:00:33 pm

I think the proof is in the pudding.  Torres and Villa play excellent together - much better than Torres-Kuyt or Torres-Crouch or Torres-Voronin.  There isn't much risk in this 'superstar' as far as I'm concerned.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #39: Jun 16, 2008 11:00:36 pm

But heres what I think after having a discussion with my brother he completely killed my hopes that we would sign David Villa as the fact is the last 3 prem titles have been won by Chavski and the Scum twice.When we look at the formation they played the majority of the time it was 4-5-1.Thats exactly the way Rafa ended last season as we all know its the best formation to bring results.Personally I belive its our best best formation aswell as we get the best out of our main attacking players with this formation.As if we were to sign Villa we would be playing 4-4-2 as not a chance we could leave Torres or Villa on the bench.With 4-4-2 we become weak in mid-field as Gerrard postional sense isnt good as we get the best from him in the last third of the pitch and he is wasted when he is restricted from doing this and Rafa wants a strong core.

Does anyone agree with me on this!!

Yea i think i said this earlier and said we will have to choose between the best players or the best formation and i decided that Villa was the way foward
      The French
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #40: Jun 16, 2008 11:29:16 pm
      I don't know David Villa very well, but some have told me there's no problem about his ability to play on the left.

If it's true, we can keep the 4-2-3-1.

I think that Rafa's tactics are about a great defence and some players who can "explode" and score goals on their own.

If we want to win something, those players should be very efficient. We do need a guy like David Villa, able to move mountains, we can't only rely on Gerrard and Torres to score goals.

About Babel, I think Kuyt must be the right winger last year and babel the super-sub. If Babel improves enough, he would take the Kuyt position and Kuyt would become the sub. Babel is still too much irregular, and not very good when he has played since the beginning of the match.

Masch           Barry ?
      Gerrard
      Kuyt                              Villa*
      Torres

subs : ___, ___, ___, ___, Babel, Pennant/Benayoun, Voronin/Nemeth

I think Babel can play in all the 3 most forward positions, on the wing and as a forward. But if Torres gets injured and that Crouch is gone, we can rely on Villa. Nemeth, Babel and Voronin aren't guarantees to score. Villa is, I think (he has enough strength to adapt to the Premier League.)

*or other very good left winger.

As we don't attack like Arsenal, and the individuals are much more important for us, I think we have to follow the Chelsea and Manchester example. I want players like Lahm or Villa.

How I wish we had better owners...
      « Last Edit: Jun 16, 2008 11:36:04 pm by The French »
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #41: Jun 17, 2008 12:04:34 am
      I think the proof is in the pudding.  Torres and Villa play excellent together - much better than Torres-Kuyt or Torres-Crouch or Torres-Voronin.  There isn't much risk in this 'superstar' as far as I'm concerned.
      I haven't seen enough of their partnership to be totally convinced, mate.  Under Spain's tactics, Torres hasn't been scoring much in recent seasons.  Obviously the tactics seem to suit Villa best (of the two strikers). 

Now I am a massive fan of Rafa's abilities, and so he may well get the best out of a Villa/Torres strikeforce. 
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #42: Jun 17, 2008 03:00:25 pm
      I haven't seen enough of their partnership to be totally convinced, mate.  Under Spain's tactics, Torres hasn't been scoring much in recent seasons.  Obviously the tactics seem to suit Villa best (of the two strikers). 

Now I am a massive fan of Rafa's abilities, and so he may well get the best out of a Villa/Torres strikeforce. 

But torres and villa are the best strike partnership in the euros, and thats not my opinion, thats fact in terms of number of goals scored so i still think that there a prooven strike force and rafa will make them better
      LFC9
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,277 posts | 22 
      Reply #43: Jun 17, 2008 03:07:27 pm
      Ill probably get ripped to pieces for saying this but .
      2 weeks ago just before the euros started Torres said that Spain dont play his preffered style of football ,So could Villa adapt to the style that liverpool and Torres played last season and is he going to affect theTorres we saw last season getting another 30 goals next season
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #44: Jun 17, 2008 03:11:02 pm
      But torres and villa are the best strike partnership in the euros, and thats not my opinion, thats fact in terms of number of goals scored so I still think that there a prooven strike force and rafa will make them better
      how long have they played together in the euros?  Two hours? 

You're not basing your opinion on a couple of hours of football are you.

Torres hasn't exactly been scoring many goals for Spain in the last few years.  So it can't be that great a partnership.

And if we change our style at Liverpool to suit Villa, won't that impact upon Torres contribution.

paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #45: Jun 17, 2008 03:13:03 pm
      Ill probably get ripped to pieces for saying this but .
      2 weeks ago just before the euros started Torres said that Spain dont play his preffered style of football ,So could Villa adapt to the style that liverpool and Torres played last season and is he going to affect theTorres we saw last season getting another 30 goals next season

I think he mean't the reason he scored so many this season was because of the pace of the premiership. So he may not set the Euros alight. I don't think he was having a dig at Spain's style of play.

I also think he mean't the whole teams style of play, not just Villa's. I don't think Villa coming to Liverpool would slow down our pace of play though.
      TheSpecialOne
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | -1 
      Reply #46: Jun 17, 2008 03:13:35 pm
      Torres probably wouldnt get as many goal as he did last season, because the midfielders would be spoilt for choice with TORRES and VILLA, but overall it could only make him a better player.
      And us a better team
      If he signs id say that Torres and Villa would get about the 25 goal range next season each.
      They would bounce of one another.
      It would be a nightmare for any other team to deal with.
      Just like it is for the other teams in the Euro's at the minute >:D
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #47: Jun 17, 2008 03:29:59 pm
      how long have they played together in the euros?  Two hours? 

You're not basing your opinion on a couple of hours of football are you.

Torres hasn't exactly been scoring many goals for Spain in the last few years.  So it can't be that great a partnership.

And if we change our style at Liverpool to suit Villa, won't that impact upon Torres contribution.

Torres and Villa have been spains prefared choise since the world cup if only youd been paying attention ::) Even so the fact that there playing so well together when they dont play week in week out is a good point surly as the relationship can only get better the more they play together. Tell you what name me the strike partnership thats doing better in the Euros right now, untill then im not taking you that seriusly.. sorry
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #48: Jun 17, 2008 05:30:00 pm

It might if we were to change our style mate, but I couldn't see that happening. The pace and pressure of the league we play in means that we can only really slow our game down in our own half. So Torres' pace and quick thinking will always suit our style, I feel.

Where Villa could have an effect though, is in games where Torres is shut down by more than one defender and dispossessed. I feel this happened a lot in certain games last season where we ended up with a draw. It was ok Gerrard playing behind Torres and having an impact up front, but Torres was the first line of attack and inevitably attracted defenders to be on his case, which in turn, left us struggling to get that first goal or leaving players pegging it back while we lost the ball.
      The addition of Villa alongside Torres would undoubtedly free up some space or leave defenders with a lot more to think about. And I think someone of Villa's finishing ability would always beneficial to our team - which is the most important thing.

I feel it's hard to base any real opinion on their possible (hopefully) partnership for us by watching the Euros. It's a different team, with a different manager's tactics. But what they have shown so far is the natural awareness of each other on the pitch. Which is a very good sign for a partnership in my book.
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #49: Jun 17, 2008 06:16:52 pm
      It might if we were to change our style mate, but I couldn't see that happening. The pace and pressure of the league we play in means that we can only really slow our game down in our own half. So Torres' pace and quick thinking will always suit our style, I feel.

Where Villa could have an effect though, is in games where Torres is shut down by more than one defender and dispossessed. I feel this happened a lot in certain games last season where we ended up with a draw. It was ok Gerrard playing behind Torres and having an impact up front, but Torres was the first line of attack and inevitably attracted defenders to be on his case, which in turn, left us struggling to get that first goal or leaving players pegging it back while we lost the ball.
      The addition of Villa alongside Torres would undoubtedly free up some space or leave defenders with a lot more to think about. And I think someone of Villa's finishing ability would always beneficial to our team - which is the most important thing.

I feel it's hard to base any real opinion on their possible (hopefully) partnership for us by watching the Euros. It's a different team, with a different manager's tactics. But what they have shown so far is the natural awareness of each other on the pitch. Which is a very good sign for a partnership in my book.
      good post, mate.

I'd love to see Villa at Anfield. 

But I do have to suppress a giggle when I see how suddenly many folks who previously knew precious little about David Villa, are now saying he's the best thing since sliced bread and we should break the bank to get him.

I'm a fan of Spain and I like to see them doing well.  But I am not entirely convinced as yet re a Villa and Torres strikeforce.  I'd love to see it working at Anfield.  But I do know that in the euro qualifiers, Spain were not impressive.  They only headed the group in the final few rounds of games.  Prior to that, they struggled.  Even Northern Ireland beat them in Belfast.  The Spanish manager has been prone to sub Torres very early in games. 

For me, the jury is still out re a Torres/Villa partnership. 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #50: Jun 17, 2008 07:35:54 pm
      good post, mate.

But I do have to suppress a giggle when I see how suddenly many folks who previously knew precious little about David Villa, are now saying he's the best thing since sliced bread and we should break the bank to get him.

I'm a fan of Spain and I like to see them doing well.  But I am not entirely convinced as yet re a Villa and Torres strikeforce.  I'd love to see it working at Anfield.  But I do know that in the euro qualifiers, Spain were not impressive.  They only headed the group in the final few rounds of games.  Prior to that, they struggled.  Even Northern Ireland beat them in Belfast.  The Spanish manager has been prone to sub Torres very early in games. 

to be fair Torres did keep getting injured on international duty and did miss a few of the qualifiers. Also none of the so called big teams really excelled during the qualifiers but the main thing is that you get through
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #51: Jun 17, 2008 08:00:57 pm
      good post, mate.

Fair enough, maybe im just a more optimistic person than you, by no means is that an insult to you however i just like to think the best of things and maybe you like to look at the possibility of failure. My problem with you up untill that post was that you didnt seem to think that Villa would do well at all i.e. basically saying he's going to flop and i saw no evidence to back that up. But saying that the jurys still out.. ok i can accept that but im going to say that youll be converted by the time the euros are over ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #52: Jun 18, 2008 05:15:40 am
      Tactics are different between Spain and Liverpool. I think if we get David Villa, Babel will be shifted to the right or used as a super sub, Villa on the left and Nando in the middle. If not then it will atleast be tried early in the season. Villa can use both feet unlike Ryan who has to cut in to score. Villa can go down the flank or cut back in plus his delivery is pretty good.

Or one of thse 3 could happen; a 4-4-2 with Stevie and Masch in the middle, Babel on the right/left and another winger on the left/right.

Or a 4-3-3 with David on the left, Nando in the middle and Dirk on the right.

Or a 4-1-2-1-2 with Masch sitting back, Babel and another man on the wings with Stevie supporting Villa and Torres.

Villa opens up our attacking possibilities massively, no one will know whats coming unlike last season where they could study Torres (even though it didnt have much affect).

20-25 million brilliantly spent. But again i say this, what of Ryan Babel? Have we the fans given up on him? I know he will be brilliant but on the wings? He is a striker, but his chances will be limited. Hopefully for his sake 2 out and out wingers come in so he can shift up top with Nando.

Isnt this great to speculate? Roll on tranfser period!
      h31p
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #53: Jun 18, 2008 07:14:20 am
      I've heard that Liverpool are supposedly skint - what with all the trouble between the Yanks and more talk of possible takeovers from DIC etc. If we have no money, why are we wasting what we do have on players that we don't need?

I'm talking about Gareth Barry, who seems to be highly over-rated to me. Yeah, he seems ok, but is he any better than Xabi? I think Xabi had a poor season last year, but I fully expect him to pull through and do better this coming season. What can Barry offer us that Xabi can't?

Surely we should be spening that money on a new striker or a new winger?! Whether we go for Villa and Silva, or any others, this seems to be where we fall down compared to the top two in the Premier League. In terms of strikers - Voronin can't hit a barn door, neither can Kuyt but he does seem to offer us something else (I'm still not convinced though!), and Crouch seems to be on his way out (god knows why?!). That leaves us Torres up top... what happens when he gets injured or, worse still, signs for Chelsea over the summer!!

I just think it's about time that we strnghten areas of our squad that need strengthening, and with world class players, if we are to stand any chance of pushing for the title any time soon.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #54: Jun 18, 2008 01:18:16 pm
      I hear they cant use this rule because the EU wont allow it or something?

They're getting round it by saying a player must be 'Home Grown', which in their terms means they have been trained at a younger age for at least 3 years in the specific country before they can be classed as home grown.

Load of bollocks I reckon! :D

I think we'll be arguing over this for a while. A. Villa aren't going to budge on Barry. D. Villa won't be deciding anything for a little while yet (probably a week or so after the Euros) Bentley can't do anything until Blackburn have a new manager in place.

Wonder how frantic it'll get when the window actually opens?
      PWJ505
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #55: Jun 18, 2008 01:24:36 pm
      when does the tranfer window open?
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #56: Jun 18, 2008 01:28:44 pm

1st July, i think.
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #57: Jun 18, 2008 01:28:53 pm

1st July.
      Torresinho
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #58: Jun 18, 2008 01:31:02 pm

Yep..

On top though .. I rather go for David Villa... I really think we can get him.

Sell Crouch, Alonso, Pennant, Riise and then we have enough money for him (10+14+5+5=34m)
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #59: Jun 18, 2008 04:36:30 pm
      Yep..

On top though .. I rather go for David Villa... I really think we can get him.

Sell Crouch, Alonso, Pennant, Riise and then we have enough money for him (10+14+5+5=34m)

And we no that we've got at least 15mill to spend if we bid that much for Barry

Quick Reply