Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 27th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D2 L1

£20 million to one Villa

Read 8056 times
      TheSpecialOne
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | -1 
      Re: £20 million to one Villa
      Reply #46: Jun 17, 2008 03:13:35 pm
      Torres probably wouldnt get as many goal as he did last season, because the midfielders would be spoilt for choice with TORRES and VILLA, but overall it could only make him a better player.
      And us a better team
      If he signs id say that Torres and Villa would get about the 25 goal range next season each.
      They would bounce of one another.
      It would be a nightmare for any other team to deal with.
      Just like it is for the other teams in the Euro's at the minute >:D
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #47: Jun 17, 2008 03:29:59 pm
      how long have they played together in the euros?  Two hours? 

You're not basing your opinion on a couple of hours of football are you.

Torres hasn't exactly been scoring many goals for Spain in the last few years.  So it can't be that great a partnership.

And if we change our style at Liverpool to suit Villa, won't that impact upon Torres contribution.

Torres and Villa have been spains prefared choise since the world cup if only youd been paying attention ::) Even so the fact that there playing so well together when they dont play week in week out is a good point surly as the relationship can only get better the more they play together. Tell you what name me the strike partnership thats doing better in the Euros right now, untill then im not taking you that seriusly.. sorry
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #48: Jun 17, 2008 05:30:00 pm
      And if we change our style at Liverpool to suit Villa, won't that impact upon Torres contribution.

It might if we were to change our style mate, but I couldn't see that happening. The pace and pressure of the league we play in means that we can only really slow our game down in our own half. So Torres' pace and quick thinking will always suit our style, I feel.

Where Villa could have an effect though, is in games where Torres is shut down by more than one defender and dispossessed. I feel this happened a lot in certain games last season where we ended up with a draw. It was ok Gerrard playing behind Torres and having an impact up front, but Torres was the first line of attack and inevitably attracted defenders to be on his case, which in turn, left us struggling to get that first goal or leaving players pegging it back while we lost the ball.
      The addition of Villa alongside Torres would undoubtedly free up some space or leave defenders with a lot more to think about. And I think someone of Villa's finishing ability would always beneficial to our team - which is the most important thing.

I feel it's hard to base any real opinion on their possible (hopefully) partnership for us by watching the Euros. It's a different team, with a different manager's tactics. But what they have shown so far is the natural awareness of each other on the pitch. Which is a very good sign for a partnership in my book.
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #49: Jun 17, 2008 06:16:52 pm
      It might if we were to change our style mate, but I couldn't see that happening. The pace and pressure of the league we play in means that we can only really slow our game down in our own half. So Torres' pace and quick thinking will always suit our style, I feel.

Where Villa could have an effect though, is in games where Torres is shut down by more than one defender and dispossessed. I feel this happened a lot in certain games last season where we ended up with a draw. It was ok Gerrard playing behind Torres and having an impact up front, but Torres was the first line of attack and inevitably attracted defenders to be on his case, which in turn, left us struggling to get that first goal or leaving players pegging it back while we lost the ball.
      The addition of Villa alongside Torres would undoubtedly free up some space or leave defenders with a lot more to think about. And I think someone of Villa's finishing ability would always beneficial to our team - which is the most important thing.

I feel it's hard to base any real opinion on their possible (hopefully) partnership for us by watching the Euros. It's a different team, with a different manager's tactics. But what they have shown so far is the natural awareness of each other on the pitch. Which is a very good sign for a partnership in my book.
      good post, mate.

I'd love to see Villa at Anfield. 

But I do have to suppress a giggle when I see how suddenly many folks who previously knew precious little about David Villa, are now saying he's the best thing since sliced bread and we should break the bank to get him.

I'm a fan of Spain and I like to see them doing well.  But I am not entirely convinced as yet re a Villa and Torres strikeforce.  I'd love to see it working at Anfield.  But I do know that in the euro qualifiers, Spain were not impressive.  They only headed the group in the final few rounds of games.  Prior to that, they struggled.  Even Northern Ireland beat them in Belfast.  The Spanish manager has been prone to sub Torres very early in games. 

For me, the jury is still out re a Torres/Villa partnership. 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #50: Jun 17, 2008 07:35:54 pm
      good post, mate.

But I do have to suppress a giggle when I see how suddenly many folks who previously knew precious little about David Villa, are now saying he's the best thing since sliced bread and we should break the bank to get him.

I'm a fan of Spain and I like to see them doing well.  But I am not entirely convinced as yet re a Villa and Torres strikeforce.  I'd love to see it working at Anfield.  But I do know that in the euro qualifiers, Spain were not impressive.  They only headed the group in the final few rounds of games.  Prior to that, they struggled.  Even Northern Ireland beat them in Belfast.  The Spanish manager has been prone to sub Torres very early in games. 

to be fair Torres did keep getting injured on international duty and did miss a few of the qualifiers. Also none of the so called big teams really excelled during the qualifiers but the main thing is that you get through
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #51: Jun 17, 2008 08:00:57 pm
      good post, mate.

Fair enough, maybe im just a more optimistic person than you, by no means is that an insult to you however i just like to think the best of things and maybe you like to look at the possibility of failure. My problem with you up untill that post was that you didnt seem to think that Villa would do well at all i.e. basically saying he's going to flop and i saw no evidence to back that up. But saying that the jurys still out.. ok i can accept that but im going to say that youll be converted by the time the euros are over ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #52: Jun 18, 2008 05:15:40 am
      Tactics are different between Spain and Liverpool. I think if we get David Villa, Babel will be shifted to the right or used as a super sub, Villa on the left and Nando in the middle. If not then it will atleast be tried early in the season. Villa can use both feet unlike Ryan who has to cut in to score. Villa can go down the flank or cut back in plus his delivery is pretty good.

Or one of thse 3 could happen; a 4-4-2 with Stevie and Masch in the middle, Babel on the right/left and another winger on the left/right.

Or a 4-3-3 with David on the left, Nando in the middle and Dirk on the right.

Or a 4-1-2-1-2 with Masch sitting back, Babel and another man on the wings with Stevie supporting Villa and Torres.

Villa opens up our attacking possibilities massively, no one will know whats coming unlike last season where they could study Torres (even though it didnt have much affect).

20-25 million brilliantly spent. But again i say this, what of Ryan Babel? Have we the fans given up on him? I know he will be brilliant but on the wings? He is a striker, but his chances will be limited. Hopefully for his sake 2 out and out wingers come in so he can shift up top with Nando.

Isnt this great to speculate? Roll on tranfser period!
      h31p
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 26 posts |
      Reply #53: Jun 18, 2008 07:14:20 am
      I've heard that Liverpool are supposedly skint - what with all the trouble between the Yanks and more talk of possible takeovers from DIC etc. If we have no money, why are we wasting what we do have on players that we don't need?

I'm talking about Gareth Barry, who seems to be highly over-rated to me. Yeah, he seems ok, but is he any better than Xabi? I think Xabi had a poor season last year, but I fully expect him to pull through and do better this coming season. What can Barry offer us that Xabi can't?

Surely we should be spening that money on a new striker or a new winger?! Whether we go for Villa and Silva, or any others, this seems to be where we fall down compared to the top two in the Premier League. In terms of strikers - Voronin can't hit a barn door, neither can Kuyt but he does seem to offer us something else (I'm still not convinced though!), and Crouch seems to be on his way out (god knows why?!). That leaves us Torres up top... what happens when he gets injured or, worse still, signs for Chelsea over the summer!!

I just think it's about time that we strnghten areas of our squad that need strengthening, and with world class players, if we are to stand any chance of pushing for the title any time soon.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #54: Jun 18, 2008 01:18:16 pm
      I hear they cant use this rule because the EU wont allow it or something?

They're getting round it by saying a player must be 'Home Grown', which in their terms means they have been trained at a younger age for at least 3 years in the specific country before they can be classed as home grown.

Load of bollocks I reckon! :D

I think we'll be arguing over this for a while. A. Villa aren't going to budge on Barry. D. Villa won't be deciding anything for a little while yet (probably a week or so after the Euros) Bentley can't do anything until Blackburn have a new manager in place.

Wonder how frantic it'll get when the window actually opens?
      PWJ505
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #55: Jun 18, 2008 01:24:36 pm
      when does the tranfer window open?
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #56: Jun 18, 2008 01:28:44 pm

1st July, i think.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #57: Jun 18, 2008 01:28:53 pm

1st July.
      Torresinho
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #58: Jun 18, 2008 01:31:02 pm

Yep..

On top though .. I rather go for David Villa... I really think we can get him.

Sell Crouch, Alonso, Pennant, Riise and then we have enough money for him (10+14+5+5=34m)
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #59: Jun 18, 2008 04:36:30 pm
      Yep..

On top though .. I rather go for David Villa... I really think we can get him.

Sell Crouch, Alonso, Pennant, Riise and then we have enough money for him (10+14+5+5=34m)

And we no that we've got at least 15mill to spend if we bid that much for Barry

Quick Reply