Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

German players?

Read 4932 times
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Re: German players?
      Reply #23: Jun 19, 2008 11:30:35 pm
      I havent been impressed with him. He scored a good doal tonight however. The one that I would look at , especially if Crouch leaves, is Podolski. He is an outstanding player that very rarely plays for Bayern, although I dont understand that, and I would say he would come at quite a good pric (around 15m). Imagine him and Torres up- front

Well I can understand you opinion about Schweinsteiger because at the tail end of the season his form took a dip and there were rumors that Bayern would be looking to sell him, I have always liked him and think he is a good player.
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #24: Jun 20, 2008 12:02:36 am
      Suppose that just goes to show how people rate players in such different ways. Podolski is known as a bad player in terms of goal tally in the german league with just 9 goals in 47 appearances since joining bayern munich in 2006 but seems to get goals for germany and thats what makes people rate him so highly and want him, yet its the opposite for gomez and he has only played 13 games for the national side and has still netted 6 times in those appearances but 3 euro games without a goal makes some people think he isnt such a good player.

It's not really about stats really, before Torres came to Liverpool his goal scoring stats for Atletico Madrid weren't much of a great impression but the lad was just quality for Liverpool.

I'm looking at this discussion on German players with the point of view of who would be a suitable addition into LFC's current squad and 4-2-3-1 formation.

We can forget about Lahm because Dossena looks like a done deal, although I do rate Lahm as a good fullback, both offensive and defensive.

As for Mario Gomez, was Bundesliga's top goal netter last season so he might be one of those who has this goal scoring knack. Only seen him in the Euro's first 3 matches and frankly to say, he couldn't do much but I believe it was the formation that put him down. Has a great physique, and should Crouch go, would make an ideal replacement perhaps? But definitely, not Torres material. There's no disposing Torres at the moment and at most you can do is find him a partner but that would mean reshuffling the lone striker formation.

I think now that we've got fullback settled, we should be looking to strenghten our wide attacking midfielder section, and both Schweinsteiger and Podolski fit the bill here. Schweinsteiger is intelligent and does well in beating players and also has a mean shot. Podolski too, is powerful and a good goal scorer, plus his left foot is quite handy, seeing that our lefties are beginning to disappear when we once had too many of them! Besides being an attacking midfielder he can also play as a striker, which in fact is his natural position I think? So he can double up as a backup striker as well, because again I stress that Torres is irreplaceable, unless he gets injured or suspended (touch wood he won't!) 

One thing that makes me fancy German players (the ones in the current Euro squad) is their size and strength of their physique. Quite suited for the EPL.

So if I had to pick one I'd have a Didi Hammann, 2005 cup final version. Super supersub!
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #25: Jun 20, 2008 07:15:45 pm
      One thing your guranteed with these guys is efficency.Germans rarely offer flair,but shown consistent performances.ie.Didi.How often do we we see the Germans at the business end of the competiton

Quick Reply