Trending Topics

Dirk Kuyt (Liverpool -> Fenerbahce -> Feyenoord)

Read 261311 times
      joemack
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 377 posts | 13 
      Re: Dirk Kuyt Player Thread
      Reply #138: Apr 03, 2008 02:56:38 am
      Kuyt is definitely in Rafa's good books re: playing time I've been a bit hard on Dirk Kuyt meself recently, get's into great shooting possie's then fluffs the shot totally, either mis-hits off the knee or the shin or it blobs wide.

Absolutely made up to see him score today though, point about Ryan Babel, you can bet a pound to a pinch of shyte that Babel will be first off when it's time for subs. I'd like to see him stay on and finish a few matches.

The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #139: Apr 03, 2008 08:12:03 am
      Man of the match last night in my opion
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #140: Apr 03, 2008 08:55:40 am
      Man of the match for me and he deserved to score.

Agree mate, thought he was fantastic....had one of his best games for us, only a couple of times, his first touch let him down but overall preferred him out there to JP as I felt more secure with his defensive play.

Glad he got the goal, still haven't seen it from a clear angle but he was credited with it so well done mate. Just lucky that Ref didn't point to the spot when he clearly pulled back Hleb. Sucked in Gooners.  ;D
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #141: Apr 03, 2008 09:19:32 am
      preferred him out there to JP as I felt more secure with his defensive play.

Yeah, it's a tricky choice between the two at the moment. Kuyt does have the habit of steaming ahead on the counter-attack without letting the time for the other midfielders to come and support him. He ends up being quite easily isolated by the opposition's defence and the counter is broken down. Can't fault his work rate though! And he does offer a hell of a lot defensively; he's always in the defender's face, he doesn't let the opponent the time on the ball to build up an attack which gives our team time to reposition correctly. And as for the penalty appeal last night: he may have pulled back Hleb, but at least he was in a position to do it! Hleb had just cut our defence to pieces and who was the last man? Kuyt!

The song goes "We all dream of a team of Carraghers", but could you imagine a team of Kuyts?! I don't know how successful they'd be, but the way he runs it'd give the impression we had about 15 players to their 11!  :D
      Saffi 7
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts | 17 
      • "...that's why they paid 26 million for him..."
      Reply #142: Apr 03, 2008 12:47:41 pm
      Again, tireless, hardworking and determined play was the order of the day for Dirky, with a difference to league outings...he grabbed another vital Champions League goal. Well deserved mate, great performance.

I get tired watching him run around the pitch for the full ninety...
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #143: Apr 03, 2008 01:00:36 pm
      Yeah a team of Kuyts... GREAT, they'll run all over the pitch, and when they finally win the ball back, they'll find away to NOT pass it to any other Kuyt. Fantastic...  ::)

Seriously though, he is just not good enough. Compare him to the other right sided players the top teams have.

Kuyt or Ronaldo
      Kuyt or Joe Cole
      Kuyt or Hleb/Rosicky
      Kuyt or Arteta

There are other teams in the Prem who have better first choice wingers to him, and no way are we gonna challenge for the title if we're carrying passengers. Okay so what, Dirks scored a couple of goals, including a tap in vs Barnsley and a deflected goal v Inter... He is just no threat running at anyone, and more often than not can't control a ball for toffee. Seriously, at any point in Kuyts time on the right wing have you thought he actually had the ability to run at and beat his man? So rare and the only time it might be possible would be against someone like Derby... Whereas you put your money on someone like Ronaldo or Hleb beating their man, or Arteta to get a beautiful cross in. And this argument about defensive qualities just doesn't swing for me. Why are we trying to have one out of our four attacking players possess superb defensive qualities? If we really want why don't we stick Carra up there, he'll be sure to defend from the front....
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #144: Apr 03, 2008 04:10:22 pm
      There just isn't pleasing everybody is there  ::)  ^^

Dirk has become a different player since his switch to the outside right position.
      I'm not going to call it a 'winger's ' position, neither a right midfield position, because he doesn't play like those type of players.

What Dirk has done recently, is become a very clever outlet for the team.
      Yes he can hold the ball up well, run off into the corner and take a couple of defenders with him, and also he delivers a fine ball into the box.

He also has the strikers sixth sense, as we saw last night.

artaylor I quote you from the match thread.
      Sorry but a goal that wasn't even taken well is not going to change my opinion of Mr Kuyt.

How can you say it wasn't even taken well ??
      He saw the ball come across and got between two defenders to get his foot onto the ball.
      What do you want him to do ?

Also another fact for Dirk is that behind Stevie Gerrard (21 assists) Dirk has now supplied 10 assist for the team.
      10 assists is the second highest total in the team, 4 assists have come since his switch to the right.

So for Dirk, this may well be a long term switch, or just a switch to get his form in front of the net back, but whatever it is, I will always get behind him, support him and encourage him.

For me, Dirk has been outstanding in his last two matches.
      Against Everton at home & Arsenal away in a European 1/4 final - you know the saying :-

When the going gets tough......

Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #145: Apr 03, 2008 04:16:45 pm
      Alright alright, there is no pleasing some. Though I'm annoyed people have given me a negative for expressing my opinion. ::)

No one answered my question though, who would you rather have, Kuyt, or one of the other top Premiership teams right wingers? Easy answer f or me...
      MsGerrard
      Reply #146: Apr 03, 2008 06:46:03 pm
      Dirk ran eight miles apparently last night  :o

Deserved the goal with all his hard work.........I have been one to slag him off this season, but I also admire his work rate, and he's never let his head drop.

Well done Dirk Kuyt.........Man of the Match by far last night  ;D
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #147: Apr 03, 2008 06:50:23 pm

Deserved the goal with all his hard work.........I have been one to slag him off this season, but I also admire his work rate, and he's never let his head drop.

Must work on his arm tackling in the oppos box though... cough.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #148: Apr 03, 2008 07:09:17 pm
      Must work on his arm tackling in the oppos box though... cough.

Absolutely !! :lmao:
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #149: Apr 03, 2008 07:19:26 pm
      The papers jumped on that like they were a dog and it was a bone, stating things like 100% penalty.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #150: Apr 03, 2008 07:23:33 pm
      The papers jumped on that like they were a dog and it was a bone, stating things like 100% penalty.

Tossers. To be fair if it had been given I could have understood why, but there's no way it was a cut & dried penalty.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #151: Apr 03, 2008 07:28:22 pm
      Tossers. To be fair if it had been given I could have understood why, but there's no way it was a cut & dried penalty.

In slow mo it looked a little careless.

These are the key moments you need to go your way in the CL... and long may the luck last... god knows with injuries and power-struggles and ref decisions, we've had our share of bad luck this season... well apart from away at Everton!!
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #152: Apr 03, 2008 08:02:48 pm
      Hleb dived, end of discussion!
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #153: Apr 03, 2008 08:06:12 pm

Wow!! Eight miles!!! That is amazing.

I hope this goal has lifted his confidence and we will soon seen more golas coming from him.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #154: Apr 03, 2008 08:55:15 pm
      This tug on the shirt business - totally irrelevant was there not an offside given anyway?

Artaylor - yep I'd take Ronaldo, but the rest are you kidding, as for Arteta  :lmao:

Maybe he isn't an out and out winger, but he adds to the balance of the team and as he showed last night, would probably run through brick walls for the team.

Sorry but a goal that wasn't even taken well is not going to change my opinion of Mr Kuyt.

fine, your opinion mate, but personally think he did well in getting a connection onto the ball

I'd say it was a toss up between Kuyt and Skrtel for man of the match
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #155: Apr 03, 2008 10:19:31 pm
      I'v slagged Dirk off for not being the out and out prolific goal scorer he was made out to be when we bought him. I have always admired his work rate and amazing stamina but he just aint a top class striker. First touch not consistent enough. Efforts on goal to goals scored, very low success ratio. BUT, last night and against the bitters, great all round performances and much improved on previous weeks. Credit where it's due. Well done Dirk for coming through the lean times with your head held high, and may you continue to improve all the way to Moscow.
      And when you next miss a sitter, or fail to control the ball first touch, i'll be the first to slag you off again. :angel:
      RedWilly

• 9,224 posts | 1646 
      Reply #156: Apr 04, 2008 10:28:56 pm
      I've slagged Dirk many times this season, but never has he allowed his head to go down, never. Any other player in the squad would have just given up by now, but he keeps on going and seems to be scoring in the crucial games for us. After the death of his Dad this season has been a tough one for him.

But I would rather have a player like him who will run their socks off and never stop working over a player who has all the talent in the world but never puts in the effort and is more concerned with their image than the team.

Good on you Dirk, keep on going.
      ste_macca
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,175 posts | 22 
      Reply #157: Apr 04, 2008 11:36:11 pm
      I've slagged Dirk many times this season, but never has he allowed his head to go down, never. Any other player in the squad would have just given up by now, but he keeps on going and seems to be scoring in the crucial games for us. After the death of his Dad this season has been a tough one for him.

But I would rather have a player like him who will run their socks off and never stop working over a player who has all the talent in the world but never puts in the effort and is more concerned with their image than the team.

Good on you Dirk, keep on going.

Same here, ive slagged him off a few times, but he is doing his best in a poistion he doesnt like. i just admire his hard work he puts in every game, im sure if he was put into his striker role we would see a even better player.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #158: Apr 09, 2008 12:13:13 am
      I thought Dirk was excellent tonight and may have been overshadowed by the goalscorers. He ran non stop all night and provided cover at the back while also giving options in attack. I remember watching him put in a tackle deep in our own half then a few seconds later was in the final third putting a pass into the box. How many players show this much effort and desire in the modern game??

I have been a bit critical of Dirk for a part of this season but he has confirmed for me that he is a quality player that makes up for a small lack of ability with a desire and work rate that would put many players to shame.
      molby86
      • Forum David Johnson

• 239 posts |
      • Best left foot ever.........
      Reply #159: Apr 09, 2008 12:28:03 am
      Amazing from the Dirkster tonite. Always been a big fan of his and he could be the new Ray Houghton the way he is plaing on the wing with his workrate as well. Deservedly the Man of the Match tonite in my opinion for his sheer will to just keep running and closing down the Arsenal players.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #160: Apr 09, 2008 12:31:22 am
      Think this guy should take part in the London Marathon!!!

Well done Dirky, you surely tired them out with your closing down of the ball. Even though his technique and touch isn't great, when a player doesn't stop running it does make a massive difference!

Quick Reply