Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 10th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

Chelsea/Liverpool start of season comparison.

Read 2896 times
      u1m81
      • Forum Barry Venison
      • Started Topic

• 164 posts | -1 
      Chelsea/Liverpool start of season comparison.
      Oct 08, 2008 02:43:31 am
      Ok, there is plenty of talk of Liverpool playing fantastic and that this is our year.! I hope it is.

But are we overlooking the fact that chelsea have played the same number of matches, got the same amount of points, are ahead of us in the league table and have done without a second thought? I just wonder whether liverpool are playing at the top of thier game while chelsea may still having something yet to come.

What does everyone think?
      Bahrosa-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,549 posts |
      • It's Not A Badge... It's A Family Crest
      Re: Chelsea/Liverpool start of season comparison.
      Reply #1: Oct 08, 2008 03:20:02 am
      Well, i don't think Liverpool are playing at the TOP of their game. I think they can improve still. On the other hand, Chelsea have got a lot of injury concerns, in saying that their subs and the fill-ins are worth more than most players anyway, so I don't think they can use the injuries as an excuse.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #2: Oct 08, 2008 09:47:31 am
      We can still improve. It would be awesome if other people like Xabi, Mascherano, Riera and all get on the scoresheet as well.
      Sometimes i feel that the team are scared of attacking heheh but it's really nice to see them play better compared to previous seasons
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #3: Oct 08, 2008 09:59:10 am
      Well we've only one serious injury, and knowing Skrtel, the mad b***ard, he's probably trying to chisel his cast off now so he can play! ;) Touch wod he remains our only absentee.

Chelsea have impressed in certain matches much more than we have, yet we've overcome bigger challenges in our first 7 games. We've beat United, come back from 2-0 down against City at their place and won games we didn't seem to have the edge in. Chelsea don't seem to be struggling, yet inconsistencies with their team due to those injuries may wreak a bit of much needed havoc and put them off their game. Fingers crossed this is sooner rather than later as a bit of a lead at the top would do us the world of good!

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #4: Oct 08, 2008 10:47:42 am
      Chelsea first seven

4-0 v Portsmouth
      1-0 v Wigan
      1-1 v Tottenham
      3-1 v Man City
      1-1 v Man United
      2-0 v Stoke
      2-0 v Aston Villa
      ---------Liverpool first seven

1-0 v Sunderland
      2-1 v Middlesbrough
      0-0 v Aston Villa
      2-1 v Man United
      0-0 v Stoke
      2-0 v Everton
      3-2 v Man City

1-1 Tottenham at home for them must go down as about as shitty a result as our Stoke one.

We beat United at home, which they didn't.  We both beat City away.  We've won our local derby away from home. We drew with Villa away but I think Chelsea might have bother there.

Fairly similar starts, but I'd say we have just shaded it on the level of difficulty of those games.

17 points a piece.

Crunch time when we play them.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #5: Oct 08, 2008 11:47:42 am
      Chelsea have been playing some really good stuff and this season they are looking a top two side. They are hard to beat at their place but not invincible and if any team can win their it's us with our emphasis on the counter attack if we get it right on the day we can beat them.We haven't got going yet and if past seasons under Rafa are anything to go by we will get harder to beat as the weeks go by and from Christmas onward is about the time we hit top gear and if we are still in a strong position I believe we will have a real chance.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #6: Oct 08, 2008 01:18:16 pm
      We've played more away games.
      LauraMc
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 109 posts |
      Reply #7: Oct 08, 2008 01:36:39 pm
      We need to win matches by scoring more goals...then we might stay in the actual first spot for more than 2 hours.
      If the league finished tomorrow then Chelsea would have it won because of goal difference.
      The Kopite91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,654 posts | 246 
      Reply #8: Oct 08, 2008 01:38:52 pm
      Chelski are the team to beat this season. we showed against United they are nothing without Ronaldo. Arsenal kids have struggled against Fulham, Hull and Sunderland, there is no way they can keep up a constant challenge. I'm looking forward to the match at Stamford Bridge because last season we finnally scored 2 goals there (not enough on the night though). Chelski have impessed but you have to question their heart!!! In both of their draws they have really struggled to fight back and thats after conceding just the 1 goal. We showed our unity and heart against Middlesborough and Man City. They're yet to face a real challenge and i hope we can be the one's to give it to them!!!!! If we draw first blood we can beat them then people will have to sit up and take notice.

J.F.T 96

:kop5cf8koxp6:
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #9: Oct 08, 2008 01:43:01 pm
      They'll be shitting themselves at the thought of the imminent arrival of the Reds.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,201 posts | 3391 
      Reply #10: Oct 08, 2008 01:49:58 pm
      We've both had four clean sheets, won 5 games and drawn twice, we've both had a draw with a side in the bottom three when we've both been at home. I'd say it's pretty even and considering we haven't hit top form yet I'd say it's a pretty good position we're in.

Chelsea haven't been playing as well as they can (except the opening game against Portsmouth) but like us are still picking up results. We're playing well now, but what's even better is we can still improve.

We've both lost key players during the season (Gerrard, Torres, Skrtel to injury Masch and Babel to the Olympics) and we're still picking up results. The depth of both squads has been tested already this year. Fair enough they've been able to bring in Ballack for Deco rather than Plessis for Alonso, but still both squads have been tested.

I don't for one minute think that Chelsea are streets ahead of us anymore, I think we've closed the gap now to the point we're we can challenge. The team to beat this season is Liverpool Football Club.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #11: Oct 08, 2008 02:15:39 pm
      Well, the big test comes in like 3 weeks time when we play Chelsea at Stamford Bridge, of course we should try to win and end their 4 years unbeaten run but I wouldn't mind a draw.

To win the premier league? we have to match the results of the top teams and beat them at home! and of course score more! I really see us and Chelsea as a good game :)
      u1m81
      • Forum Barry Venison
      • Started Topic

• 164 posts | -1 
      Reply #12: Oct 08, 2008 11:04:47 pm
      yea, chelsea game will be immense and even after my original post i would go there confident that we can beat them, but even then the league is more than one game and liverpools last seasons have been let down by stupid draws. I understand that we have overcome a bigger challenge with Man U, but overcomign a 2-0 defecit to Man City, we shouldnt have let it get that far anyway.!

I think we have shown that we are contenders this season.. SO Far. but i think chelsea are showing that without the surprise.!
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #13: Oct 08, 2008 11:59:40 pm
      We can still step our game up. I think we need to still be go for the jugular when we kill off these other teams. It might go down to goal differences.
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #14: Oct 09, 2008 10:51:12 am
      We are better than Chelsea and that's it.;)

Quick Reply