Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 4th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

John Arne Riise - Player Thread

Read 35888 times
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Re: John Arne Riise - Player Thread
      Reply #46: Sep 25, 2007 01:33:58 pm
      i'd be looking at others to dispose of before him.

Who?

Up until this summer I would say he wasn't top of my list of players to replace, but having cleared out a lot of deadwood over the last few months he would now be at the top of my list of players to replace. As Arbeloa's naturally a right back & may be needed there if something happens to Finnan I wouldn't get rid of him without getting a replacement, but I definitely think he should go & if we'd got Heinze I believe he'd be on his way already.
      Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #47: Sep 25, 2007 01:36:21 pm
      who istvan? just out of intrest like

Well, how long do you think Benitez will persist with Harry Kewell?  Great player when fit, no doubt, but never fit.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #48: Sep 25, 2007 01:40:50 pm
      Well, how long do you think Benitez will persist with Harry Kewell?  Great player when fit, no doubt, but never fit.

Sorry mate, completely forgot he played for us :D

With the exception of Kewell, is there anyone else you think should be sold ahead of Riise?
      Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #49: Sep 25, 2007 01:42:55 pm
      Sorry mate, completely forgot he played for us :D

With the exception of Kewell, is there anyone else you think should be sold ahead of Riise?

If we could get a replacement in January then i'd let Crouch go for a profit.  He does a job when asked, but i think there are better options out there.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #50: Sep 25, 2007 02:54:05 pm
      Riise is a spent force.He has either lost his confidence or his quality.Unfortunately I think its the latter.His performances are really poor lately.IMO Arbeloa and Aurelio play before him.I've seen Insua play and looking forward to seeing him play in the first team tonight then maybe he'll be his replacement.Otherwise we'll have to buy someone new.
                                 Who would people like Rafa to buy?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #51: Sep 25, 2007 03:43:02 pm
      id give aurelio a run or ndeed leave arbeloa there as hes done very well but if I was to buy a left back for me it would have to be Phillip lahm
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #52: Sep 25, 2007 05:56:11 pm
      EddieC - Have to say I disagree with your general feeling about Riise - and the way you came at Istvan for what was a simple, concise reply. Not every post has to be long-winded and saying Riise fits into the rotation policy says it all. Clearly the problem is not that he is being a "smartarse", but that you don't agree.

You want an explanation about something that, from what I see here, is a difference of opinion about how good Riise is. You say he doesn't get the "basics" right. Come off it; would he be in the team at all if that were really true? You are the one being harsh, and overbearing with it.

That brings me to nicely to Brian78's question:
      Quote from: Brian78
      your telling me that Bob Paisley/Joe Fagan picked a player sorry a captain who didn't offer there team much more then penos! come on be fair

I did say "used to" Brian. I was about 9 or maybe 10 at the time. Phil Neal is not a bad comparison to make, actually. He was good coming forward, getting in crosses, was a reliable penalty taker and of course a long-time captain. Was he actually that good as a defensive right-back? I certainly don't think he was great at it - but the team was so good, and he was clearly a leader of men. Phil Neal played, week-in, week-out because of all his attributes, not just because he was a right-back. If that was all he had, he wouldn't have played much, if it all, IMO.

I agree that Riise's future is in some question - hence the debate - but I think he'll be with us for another season on top of this one, because he is more of an attacking full-back, whereas Arbeloa, and maybe Aurelio (to be QED) are better defensively. although Aurelio should also be an attacking DL. Riise now is more of a squad player that Rafa can use as he sees fit.

Maybe Rafa is looking for a player better than Riise; maybe Riise will depart sooner rather than later, but I feel that replacing him is not as easy as you say, and that he certainly has a "present" with us, and I think some future at least. We are talking about a man with several years top-flight experience and has just turned 27. He's in his prime.

For me, for Riise to go, there would have to be a proven replacement brought in, or for Aurelio to start shining a lot more than he has done so far, partly due to injury; then maybe EddieC will have his wish about a younger player coming through as a third choice DL. I think it's very much a case of 'we shall see'.

For me, this debate is turning into an excuse to blame someone for a few dodgey team performances.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #53: Sep 25, 2007 06:57:24 pm
      The final comment ill make on this subject is that while I dont think hes good enough to play for us while he wears that jersey ill be 100% behind him and I hope as the season goes on he proves me wrong
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #54: Sep 25, 2007 11:54:18 pm
      Fair dues - he did a decent job when he came on tonight.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #55: Sep 26, 2007 12:17:58 am
      Thing is about Riise, if he was Brazilian, then we would be raving about him.
      I say that because, who did most of the forum members (at the time) want to sign as a right back last year ?
      A certain Daniel Alves ?

Look at the similarities, both better players for going forward, but better known as full backs.
      I doubt that Alves has scored better goals than Riise, but has better technical play. (but Riise is up to Prem. speed)

Yes Riise has struggled at times ( B/ham for instant - but coming back from injury ) but he reminds me so much of Alves.

Now if we had of signed Alves, how many of us would be critisising his defenses play ??
      All we see is his forward style of attacking and end result.

Trust me, if we had of had Alves on the right (and was a Norwigian), and had a steady left back.
      Riise was available (and was Brazillian) for the left, how many honestly would be asking the question - why don't we buy him ??
      I would !!!

Now I do like Riise as a player.
      Maybe not so much as a left back, more of a left wing back / midfield.
      But what you can't deny is his ability of a match winning shot / stamina to continue or produce.

Maybe if people gave him as much encorouragement as they do to put him down, then maybe we would see him back to his best !!

Jrwanderer
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 115 posts |
      • Team Spirit of Champions
      Reply #56: Sep 26, 2007 10:05:09 am
      Thing is about Riise, if he was Brazilian, then we would be raving about him.
      I say that because, who did most of the forum members (at the time) want to sign as a right back last year ?
      A certain Daniel Alves ?

Look at the similarities, both better players for going forward, but better known as full backs.
      I doubt that Alves has scored better goals than Riise, but has better technical play. (but Riise is up to Prem. speed)

Yes Riise has struggled at times ( B/ham for instant - but coming back from injury ) but he reminds me so much of Alves.

Now if we had of signed Alves, how many of us would be critisising his defenses play ??
      All we see is his forward style of attacking and end result.

Trust me, if we had of had Alves on the right (and was a Norwigian), and had a steady left back.
      Riise was available (and was Brazillian) for the left, how many honestly would be asking the question - why don't we buy him ??
      I would !!!

Now I do like Riise as a player.
      Maybe not so much as a left back, more of a left wing back / midfield.
      But what you can't deny is his ability of a match winning shot / stamina to continue or produce.

Maybe if people gave him as much encorouragement as they do to put him down, then maybe we would see him back to his best !!

Great post mate!
      I have to totally agree!

I would like to add, that Riise is also one of the players that when he pulls on the red shirt he puts heart into the game, 110%. Weither he's having a bad game or not, he isn't one to hid.

Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #57: Sep 26, 2007 01:17:48 pm
      EddieC - Have to say I disagree with your general feeling about Riise - and the way you came at Istvan for what was a simple, concise reply. Not every post has to be long-winded and saying Riise fits into the rotation policy says it all. Clearly the problem is not that he is being a "smartarse", but that you don't agree.

You want an explanation about something that, from what I see here, is a difference of opinion about how good Riise is. You say he doesn't get the "basics" right. Come off it; would he be in the team at all if that were really true? You are the one being harsh, and overbearing with it.

That brings me to nicely to Brian78's question:
      I did say "used to" Brian. I was about 9 or maybe 10 at the time. Phil Neal is not a bad comparison to make, actually. He was good coming forward, getting in crosses, was a reliable penalty taker and of course a long-time captain. Was he actually that good as a defensive right-back? I certainly don't think he was great at it - but the team was so good, and he was clearly a leader of men. Phil Neal played, week-in, week-out because of all his attributes, not just because he was a right-back. If that was all he had, he wouldn't have played much, if it all, IMO.

I agree that Riise's future is in some question - hence the debate - but I think he'll be with us for another season on top of this one, because he is more of an attacking full-back, whereas Arbeloa, and maybe Aurelio (to be QED) are better defensively. although Aurelio should also be an attacking DL. Riise now is more of a squad player that Rafa can use as he sees fit.

Maybe Rafa is looking for a player better than Riise; maybe Riise will depart sooner rather than later, but I feel that replacing him is not as easy as you say, and that he certainly has a "present" with us, and I think some future at least. We are talking about a man with several years top-flight experience and has just turned 27. He's in his prime.

For me, for Riise to go, there would have to be a proven replacement brought in, or for Aurelio to start shining a lot more than he has done so far, partly due to injury; then maybe EddieC will have his wish about a younger player coming through as a third choice DL. I think it's very much a case of 'we shall see'.

For me, this debate is turning into an excuse to blame someone for a few dodgey team performances.

Cheers Jammy.  I wasn't trying to discredit what Eddie was saying at all, but i believe he was being a little harsh in his criticism of Riise.  Benitez knows when a player is not good enough for Liverpool FC, and there may be some truth in some points Eddie made, but my opinion was that, although i wouldn't class Riise as an absolute certainty for first team selection, i do believe he should have a future at the club.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #58: Sep 26, 2007 01:35:20 pm

Absolutely right mate, just me having a bad day. Istvan Kozma, sorry if I caused any offence mate.
      Istvan Kozma
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 165 posts | 31 
      Reply #59: Sep 26, 2007 01:39:32 pm
      Absolutely right mate, just me having a bad day. Istvan Kozma, sorry if I caused any offence mate.

None taken mate.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #60: Nov 01, 2007 12:15:06 am
      A quick word on this story....

Liverpool star's payslip on web

An inquiry has been launched by Liverpool Football Club after a top player's payslip - detailing a £139,634 monthly wage - was put on the internet.

Liverpool FC are looking at how John Arne Riise's pay document, which reveals the Norwegian's net pay and home address got into the wrong hands.

It also shows his national insurance number and appearance bonuses.

A spokesman for the club, said: "We are taking the matter extremely seriously and we are investigating."

The payslip which appeared on a series of football fans' forums, shows he was paid £4,000 in appearance bonuses.

A club insider said: "It must have been stolen but the player simply doesn't know how it has happened.

"I can assure you that John Arne Riise is not in the habit of throwing payslips out, it's clearly been stolen and taken without his permission."

The Kop ace also landed a Champions League salary increase of £15,384.

His take home pay was £82,413 and his monthly tax payment £55,508, while £65 was deducted for meals.

Several Liverpool players' homes have been broken into during the last 18 months but Mr Riise's home has not been burgled.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/7071296.stm

One of the moderators received these images a few days back but we decided not to post it on the site as it did contain Riise's address and NI number.  I am sure none of you would want that kind of private information about yourself being published.

All the other information is contained in that BBC news article post above anyway.

If anyone does decide to post the image on the forum they will be banned.  To the other forums that decided to allow the images and hence Riise's address and NI to be published - shame on you.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #61: Nov 01, 2007 12:23:25 am
      That's awful and quite worrying, the lengths some people will go to.....such personal information as well.

Whoever has stolen it, I hope they can live with themselves.

Scumbags.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #62: Nov 01, 2007 12:30:12 am
      That's awful and quite worrying, the lengths some people will go to.....such personal information as well.

Whoever has stolen it, I hope they can live with themselves.

Scumbags.

I'm sure JAR would rather someone swiped his payslip than the cash he took home that month.

Actually, I've been looking for my annual P60 everywhere and haven't been able to find it. Nobody's received a picture of it in their email have they ? ;)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #63: Nov 01, 2007 12:46:07 am
      Can't believe other forums have allowed it to be posted up. Bang out of order.

And the way Riise has been playing, I'm sure we all agree he could do without the extra stress....
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,890 posts | 6822 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #64: Nov 01, 2007 01:05:20 am
      I'm sure JAR would rather someone swiped his payslip than the cash he took home that month.

Actually, I've been looking for my annual P60 everywhere and haven't been able to find it. Nobody's received a picture of it in their email have they ? ;)

I did mate but didn't post it, referred it to EddieC. Lucky I don't know how to post pictures properly or you would have banned me.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #65: Nov 01, 2007 08:39:58 am
      Can't believe other forums have allowed it to be posted up. Bang out of order.

And the way Riise has been playing, I'm sure we all agree he could do without the extra stress....

That just shows how unpopular and disloyal they actually are.  Shame on them
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #66: Nov 06, 2007 12:31:58 pm
      With due respect to JAR, he has not got any better or worse, it's just that our speed of play has gone up one gear which he finds it hard to cope with. Speed is not one of his strongest assets coupled with the fact that he is too left footed. Once he's in possession of the ball, the opposition just need to close him down fast and pin him to the touchline and he could do no harm and he'll struggle to go pass the half way line. He had contributed to the club immensely which has won us so many trophies and given us so much fond memories. However, we have moved on and JAR being JAR we can't remove his shortcomings overnight, neither could he. So, its best that we come to terms that JAR no longers fits into our style of play, its a painful to acknowledge that, but to safe him from further frustration and abuse by the fans, its best that he moves on comes January.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #67: Nov 13, 2007 11:42:22 am
      If JAR thinks he is going to get fan support behind his request for a contract extension he must be smoking his socks... for me it is quite clear that he has played his best games already in a Liverpool shirt... this press conference sounds like Agent panic stations or...big for sale sign for him up at Anfield...

"
      Riise is also hoping a return to form will secure an extended contract offer having again reiterated his desire to remain with the Reds for the rest of his career.

"There was a story about me moving to Aston Villa in January," he added.

"I was away with the national team at the time and Liverpool are quite big in Norway so a lot of people were asking me about it. But it's completely false.

"I have 18 months left on my contract here and have no intention of leaving

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drilldown/N157693071113-0835.htm
      S-A-M-U-E-L-T
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 51 posts | -13 
      • LIVERPOOL!
      Reply #68: Dec 08, 2007 11:16:58 am
      iv always liked riise. he is top class! he has a thunderous of a shot and can play left back or left wing. told class!

Quick Reply