Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Villarreal v Liverpool 30th July 20:45

Read 11852 times
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Re: Villarreal v Liverpool 30th July 20:45
      Reply #115: Jul 30, 2008 10:44:31 pm
      Not a bad game. Feel very sorry for pacheco, so close to scoring. Did a great little stop start move to beat his man but the finish was just lacking.

I still don't have any idea what the defender for Villareal was doing, he closed him down and as soon as Pacheco stopped he started going backwards :D

As for the game I thought he was a much sharper performance from the guys as compared to the game in Berlin. This is the hardest game of the pre-season and I thought we did well. One player I like to call out for a good performance was Diego, he really starting to get better the more he plays and get use to the players he is playing with. I thought he did quite well tonight.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #116: Jul 30, 2008 10:45:29 pm
      Wonderfull commentary of course from Rob Palmer and Ray Houghton.. (sarcasm).. haha
      Rob called Torres "Fernandez" and we can't forget the overly negative Ray Houghton..;D

LFCJAK
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 212 posts |
      Reply #117: Jul 30, 2008 11:05:50 pm
      ngog was very bright imo he made a few good runs,of wot I saw, shud of burried his chance but wasnt bad performance shud of won though really
      also hus the next match against or is there no more frendlies, because i want to see torres link up with keane
      « Last Edit: Jul 30, 2008 11:10:13 pm by LFCJAK »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #118: Jul 30, 2008 11:09:47 pm
      even though ngog gave a solid performance in this game i still cant see him playing more than 15, 20 games if that because alot of the time it will probably be keane and nando
      LFCJAK
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 212 posts |
      Reply #119: Jul 30, 2008 11:12:03 pm
      even though ngog gave a solid performance in this game I still cant see him playing more than 15, 20 games if that because alot of the time it will probably be keane and nando
      yer definitly 2 way better strikers I think he will be subbed more than starts but he is 1 for the futerr atleast annd the main thing is atleast rafa has got options for stikers
      « Last Edit: Jul 30, 2008 11:15:06 pm by LFCJAK »
      maxextz
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts | -13 
      • Id like To dip my cookies in your tears.
      Reply #120: Jul 30, 2008 11:14:52 pm
      Plessis was fantastic tonight" is he momo in disguise?" well done also  darby good game great block ;D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,224 posts | 3394 
      Reply #121: Jul 30, 2008 11:25:30 pm
      ah well, we're still unbeaten, another clean sheet, new lads played relatively well, spaniards came back and did alright...overall a decent performance.

On the flip side, it's very much like last year, three consecutive draws. Not really bothered if it's pre-season or not it's always nice to get that winnin mentality into the players early. Hit the ground runnin. Goals are scarce again, 4 goals in 5 games now and three of them came in the openin two friendlies. I appriciate we're tryin new players out, new systems and all that, but it looks like we're gonna be reliant on Torres and Gerrard to grab the goals again. We need to start takin 8 out of every 10 chances we get. Nobody takes every chance, well I would but that's because I'm me an I'm perfection :P, but no mere mortal will take every chance, but 8 out of 10 has to be taken. We've gotta start burryin teams, otherwise goalless draws are gonna cost us dearly again. I'm not singlin out indiviuals who should be scorin more because football is a team game, and as a team we should be hittin the back of the net more often than not.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #122: Jul 31, 2008 01:40:37 am
      Watching today you could see how Keane is going to benefit the team. Not sure where he'll play at the moment, but wherever it is it's clear he's going to improve the team and bring us closer to that Premiership.
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #123: Jul 31, 2008 08:15:54 am
      My marks out of 10.

8,Diego Cavalieri; Had a good game
      7,Andrea Dossena; had some good runs down the wing.
      7, Sami Hyypia; did nothing wrong
      7.Martin Skrtel; same as above.
      9,Stephen Darby; Played very well.
      8,Damien Plessis; also played well.
      6,Yossi Benayoun; Did not do much.
      7,Steven Gerrard; Had a good game.
      7,Andriy Voronin; Was on the wing, but still played well.
      7,Robbie Keane; Also played well in his 1st game.
      7,David Ngog; 1st time I have seen him, did some good passes.
      7,Steve Finnan; Did nothing wrong, but not sure if he will play a lot this season.
      7,Daniel Agger; He is getting back to his old self.
      7,Fernando Torres; Nice to see him back.
      7,Xabi Alonso; Again nice to see him back.
      6,Jermaine Pennant; Did nothing much;
      6,Alvaro Arbeloa; Was OK.
      7,Dirk Kuyt; Played on the left, but good run out.
      7,Daniel Pacheco; I like this lad, but he is still only young, will be very good in a year or two.
      7,Krisztian Nemeth; Did nothing wrong, but was not on very long.
      7,Jay Spearing; very unlucky not to score.
      6,Emiliano Insua; Good at going forward.
      8,Jamie Carragher; Did everything right.
      6,Pepe Reina; only on for about 10mins, but nice to see him back.

Over all good run out for the lads, I like Diego Cavalieri, he is going to give Reina a good run.

Man Of The Match, it has to be Stephen Darby.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #124: Jul 31, 2008 10:08:07 am
      Thanks for the feedback guys. Any more detail on Ngog and Keane or was it just too dull to showcase their skill?
      Fernando_Torres
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #125: Jul 31, 2008 10:18:24 am
      but vıllereal s first half game was so exiting.also diego was very good.rafa choosed a good keeper.and young forwards stıll have alot of to do.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #126: Jul 31, 2008 11:25:04 am
      jaysus if ever a match showed how much we are lacking out wide it was this match, we had voronin and benyoun in the first half both were poor, while we had kuyt left and pennant right in th second, i feel we are going to come short again this year unless benitez addresses it, forget barry we need width rafa please just buy at least one quality wide man
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #127: Jul 31, 2008 11:34:17 am
      forgot to say anyone that thought voronin had a good game must be off there head, the man kept falling over the ball and they kept showing replays of it, i know he was out of position but he still looked poor, he is no where near good enough for liverpool, no wonder we have scored so little goals in pre season we have no wide players, if voronin is playing right midfield next season we will have serious problems
      SuperSkrtel
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      Reply #128: Jul 31, 2008 11:45:12 am
      Dont be too negative mate I think we all know Voronin is'nt going to be playing much if at all next year. It was a good run out for everyone and a nice easy return for all the Spanish lads altough one thing I would be a lilttle concerned about was left back dont think Dossena or Insua exactly covered themselves in glory but it was a friendly.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #129: Jul 31, 2008 11:58:19 am
      I feel we played some great football in this game. Loved the ball retention and the one touch passing we used for alot of the game.
      SuperSkrtel
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      Reply #130: Jul 31, 2008 12:26:16 pm
      Yeah i think we played some decent stuff too Keane showed in little flashes that he's going to add a little extra guile and craft to our play that may have been missing in the past, and the thought of Gerrard, Torres and Keane in the same team is enough to get any fans pulse racing.
      TINHEAD14
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 117 posts |
      Reply #131: Jul 31, 2008 12:54:30 pm
      The commentators made a comment about the new liverpool song for robbie keane, does anybody know the words yet? post them if so
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #132: Jul 31, 2008 01:12:01 pm
      My marks out of 10.

8,Diego Cavalieri; Had a good game
      7,Andrea Dossena; had some good runs down the wing.
      7, Sami Hyypia; did nothing wrong
      7.Martin Skrtel; same as above.
      9,Stephen Darby; Played very well.
      8,Damien Plessis; also played well.
      6,Yossi Benayoun; Did not do much.
      7,Steven Gerrard; Had a good game.
      7,Andriy Voronin; Was on the wing, but still played well.
      7,Robbie Keane; Also played well in his 1st game.
      7,David Ngog; 1st time I have seen him, did some good passes.
      7,Steve Finnan; Did nothing wrong, but not sure if he will play a lot this season.
      7,Daniel Agger; He is getting back to his old self.
      7,Fernando Torres; Nice to see him back.
      7,Xabi Alonso; Again nice to see him back.
      6,Jermaine Pennant; Did nothing much;
      6,Alvaro Arbeloa; Was OK.
      7,Dirk Kuyt; Played on the left, but good run out.
      7,Daniel Pacheco; I like this lad, but he is still only young, will be very good in a year or two.
      7,Krisztian Nemeth; Did nothing wrong, but was not on very long.
      7,Jay Spearing; very unlucky not to score.
      6,Emiliano Insua; Good at going forward.
      8,Jamie Carragher; Did everything right.
      6,Pepe Reina; only on for about 10mins, but nice to see him back.

Over all good run out for the lads, I like Diego Cavalieri, he is going to give Reina a good run.

Man Of The Match, it has to be Stephen Darby.

Not a bad analysis.. I Agree with all of your marks out of ten apart from maybe Pennant who i thought should have received a 7 and Pacheco who should have received a 6..

forgot to say anyone that thought voronin had a good game must be off there head, the man kept falling over the ball and they kept showing replays of it, I know he was out of position but he still looked poor, he is no where near good enough for liverpool, no wonder we have scored so little goals in pre season we have no wide players, if voronin is playing right midfield next season we will have serious problems

Vornin looked busy and played no worse than anyone in a grey jersey..
      Although the quartet you mentioned for the wings concern me a little too i think Jermain obviously looked the more natural with a few decent runs and crosses..
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #133: Jul 31, 2008 01:33:40 pm
      I think it was a good game yesterday and was the wind blowing in the right direction Pacheco would have scored his first Liverpool goal.  It's always difficult to tell how well a team has played when so many changes are made in a match but from what we saw they all look in good shape and that for me shows that we should have a bright start to the new season.  I really hope Alonso and Pennant both stay too as they proved to be in good form along with everyone else who played a part.  Also I must say I am really impressed with Cav in particular he had a few decent saves and reads the ball really well.  Good signing IMO and watch ya back Reina!
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #134: Jul 31, 2008 01:37:40 pm
      The commentators made a comment about the new liverpool song for robbie keane, does anybody know the words yet? post them if so
      heres the words....

hes quick,
      hes red,

he sounds like father ted

robbie keane !
      robbie keane !

8)

the pre season last night was just for fitness by the looks of it.

it wasnt much of a spectacle but good to see a few names back in a red shirt.

plessis is looking better with every game, pacheco and nemeth also something to look forward to.

BUT, we still need some width as some people have been saying.

pennant was his usual garbage last night and voronin couldnt even manage a back heel at one point !

yossi was average and babel did not play.

the full backs may provide some width but i am not so sure and i think without a classy winger we are going to struggle to break teams down again next year.

Quick Reply