Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Rafa's transfer targets

Read 4493 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,380 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Rafa's transfer targets
      Jun 27, 2008 06:59:32 pm
      First off, mods wasnt sure if this should go here or in the transfer forum if you want to move it?

Basically the past few weeks have been rife with rumours of players coming and going. Rarely have I been as low with hearing some of the names being linked with us as well as our players being linked with moves away. This week wasnt too bad strong links to David Silva and the possibility the Alonso deal might collapse. Then apparently today the yanks said they should pull together and back Rafa in a double bid for David Villa and David Silva great!! However I then hear that our new number one target is Stewart Downing and the depression starts again.

But now Ive got to thinking Rafael Benitez is a tactically genius manager. Why should I quiz his tagets? Dont get me wrong Id be on buzz if Villa, Silva, Ashavin, Van de Vaart, Lahm and so on arrived who wouldnt? But what if as Im sure he does Rafa has certain players in mind to fit into his system What if he believes that Stewart Downing is the man who can not only get crosses in but when we lose the ball hell get back and work to get it back. Perhaps he thinks Barry would give a better balance to his system then Xabi does. We all want the best players but sometimes it doesnt work look at Real Madrid for example nearly the best player in the world in each position a couple of seasons back but won nothing!

Basically Ive decided that no matter who comes in Im going to give them the chance to show Rafa was right to buy them before I get annoyed over it. Degen didnt play for Switzerland does that mean he wont do a job for us? no it doesnt like wise Dossena 1 cap for Italy so write him off? no Maldini kept many a left back from there side in his time.

We have the top manager there is so lets have faith in his transfers l   
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Re: Rafa's transfer targets
      Reply #1: Jun 27, 2008 07:09:14 pm
      *claps* very good post brain my only problem is the price of some of the players i.e. Barry and Downing is much to large for their capabilities but whoever rafa brings in he obviously has a plan for them and they'll do well
      PWJ505
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #2: Jun 27, 2008 08:07:36 pm
      Ajax have joined Tottenham and Portsmouth in trying to sign Liverpool's Yossi Benayoun by bidding £5m for the Israel midfielder. (Daily Mail)

If Yossi is moving (which would be a shame in my opinion as he has been useful), then it would leave us with only Pennant and Kuyt as right wing options (assuming Babel will play on the left) therefore Rafa will need a quality right winger.   

Apart from Bently, Quaresma, Mancini, Milner, Riera who else could Rafa be aiming for as realistic targets? This suggests that unless there is anyone I have missed out as realistic players that we have been linked with that  Benitez will sign one of these players. Also even without the possibiltiy of Benayoun leaving I beleive it is necessary to reinforce our right wing. 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #3: Jun 27, 2008 08:31:57 pm
      All we seem to be linked with is players out.  As far as I saw we 'slimmed' down the squad plenty last summer.

How much more slimming down do we need before we have to start buying.

Is this Hicks and Gillett's plan.  Trim the wage bill.  Momo, Riise and Kewell (all big earners) have been removed.  Crouch and Benayoun get talked about on a daily basis.  What's going on?

Are we buying Ronaldo or something?
      I am The Egg Man
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      • Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me!!!
      Reply #4: Jun 27, 2008 09:29:30 pm
      I think the thing that Downing has got going for him is the fact that he is left footed and he can play on the wings.  He is going to be a direct replacement for the departing Harry Kewel, so he is deffinatly going to do a better job on the wing than HK did, he will also be alot more reliable then HK and we will also not have the 90K burdne of hk's wages around our necks any more.  So I do not really think we have anything to lose only gain by buying downing.  I actually think its an inspired move on the part of Rafa.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #5: Jun 28, 2008 06:10:36 am
      Well thought out but still, rather Silva than Downing.
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #6: Jun 28, 2008 07:34:32 am
      Transfer Targets!  Seems to me, we are in a position of 'Buying for the sake of Buying'.  If we cannot get our preferred players, I.e. Villa, Silva, Barry and Bentley...then we should just stick with the current bunch for another season.

On thing is for certain - the gap between us, the Mancs and Chavs will be massive next season if we do not sign big.  How fecking depressing will that be!
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #7: Jun 28, 2008 10:51:06 am
      we're whistling in the dark.

the villa and silva stuff is mere rumour (at best).

The one definite, is our interest in Gareth Barry.

Beyond that, it's all forum/media gossip.  That also applies to supposed transfer fees.

And to put cream on the top of this all, the club (make that Rafa) is quite happy, I imagine, to put up a smokescreen at times, in order to keep their real target under wraps.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #8: Jun 28, 2008 11:12:12 am

the villa and Silva stuff is mere rumour (at best).

Beyond that, it's all forum/media gossip.  That also applies to supposed transfer fees.

And to put cream on the top of this all, the club (make that Rafa) is quite happy, I imagine, to put up a smokescreen at times, in order to keep their real target under wraps.

Yep m8.. I agree
      Its almost like you'll get frowned upon if you dont share the same optimism as everyone else... Although its always possible that both Villa and Silva could arrive at our club, i tend to look more at how likely it is.. And I've not really seen anything apart from "Villas good friends with Pepe" that suggest he'll be wearing red..
      I am The Egg Man
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #9: Jun 28, 2008 11:15:15 am
      Well thought out but still, rather Silva than Downing.

I would rather have Silva as well but Silva plays on the right hand side of the pitch where as Downing plays on the left.  If we could get both then it would be great, they would both be able to play in the same team as each other as they play on different flanks
      I am The Egg Man
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #10: Jun 28, 2008 11:18:58 am
      Transfer Targets!  Seems to me, we are in a position of 'Buying for the sake of Buying'.  If we cannot get our preferred players, I.e. Villa, Silva, Barry and Bentley...then we should just stick with the current bunch for another season.

On thing is for certain - the gap between us, the Mancs and Chavs will be massive next season if we do not sign big.  How fecking depressing will that be!

Liverpool have made it publicly known that they are not interested in signing Bentley they said in the Echo a few weeks ago.  The reason may be that Villa said in the paper that if LFC are going after Barry then they will need someone to replace him and they want Bentley but if LFC start bidding for Bentley then it will start a bidding war and the price will go through the roof.  So in effect LFC and AVFC have entered into a gentlemans agreement with each other
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #11: Jun 28, 2008 11:30:10 am

Yep m8.. I agree
      Its almost like you'll get frowned upon if you dont share the same optimism as everyone else... Although its always possible that both Villa and Silva could arrive at our club, I tend to look more at how likely it is.. And I've not really seen anything apart from "Villas good friends with Pepe" that suggest he'll be wearing red..
      agreed, mate.

I've never believed the David Villa link - 1) we don't have the money; 2) if rafa were to want him, he'd have wrapped it up long before the euros started; 3) despite what others think, I am dubious at best that Torres and Villa can play together well.  Spain's game patently does not suit Torres style. 

And then the rumours started that we were buying BOTH Villa and Silva.  Incredible. 

Unless we win the australian pools in the next few weeks, we most definitely won't be throwing 50 million quid around.
      kenny
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,314 posts | 76 
      Reply #12: Jun 28, 2008 11:37:18 am
      i didnt like downing up to last season but i think we should sign him now. hes englands best left midfielder ( wish he was irish ) so him on the left and silva on the right. if cash is available then throw in barry and villa. happy days for next season.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #13: Jun 28, 2008 12:16:27 pm
      I would rather have Silva as well but Silva plays on the right hand side of the pitch where as Downing plays on the left.  If we could get both then it would be great, they would both be able to play in the same team as each other as they play on different flanks

He's a left sided player he's just playing on the right at the moment for spain because he can. He is more versatile than downing aswell. I dont want Downing he's not good enough atall, i hope its a smokescreen for us to get silva.
      I am The Egg Man
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      Reply #14: Jun 28, 2008 12:55:45 pm
      He's a left sided player he's just playing on the right at the moment for spain because he can. He is more versatile than downing aswell. I dont want Downing he's not good enough atall, I hope its a smokescreen for us to get silva.

Well what about getting silva to play on the right and Downing to play on the right????
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #15: Jun 28, 2008 12:58:24 pm
      Well what about getting silva to play on the right and Downing to play on the right????

I'm sure that will solve our problems down the right but what about that left flank mate?  ;)
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #16: Jun 28, 2008 02:08:19 pm
      All we seem to be linked with is players out.  As far as I saw we 'slimmed' down the squad plenty last summer.

Good thing is that our players linked out (barring Alonso of course) are deadwood players. Chelsea, United and Arsenal are falling to bits in comparison!! :D
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #17: Jun 28, 2008 02:25:24 pm
      can't have too many right wingers, eh Margaret?    ;D
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #18: Jun 28, 2008 02:34:41 pm
      I think Crouch and Xabi are going...and Villa and Silva are coming. Don't think Barry is coming.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #19: Jun 28, 2008 02:41:32 pm

the villa and silva stuff is mere rumour (at best).

completely agree with u but is nice to dream that these players would join

shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts |
      Reply #20: Jun 28, 2008 04:29:38 pm
      I'm pretty sure that Rafa is waiting for some of our fringe players to be sold before announcing any new transfers.The current Liverpool squad is built on quantity rather than pure quality.

The current state of the squad:

Goalkeeper:Pepe is obviously the No 1,but we do need a backup.Carson has said time and again that he is unwilling to sit on the bench and Itandje looks like he will leave as well.I'm 99% sure Rafa will get another GK on the cheap (maybe even on loan). 1-2m at max.

Defenders:With Degen and Dossena arriving, I dont expect any more transfers in this area.If there is a departure it's probably going to be Finnan (I doubt it though).

Central Midfield: Gerrard,Mascherano and Lucas take 3/4 spots.So we really need only 1 more for this position. Only 2 names come to mind - Barry and Alonso.I'm pretty sure that if Alonso stays,Barry wont arrive.If Alonso leaves , Barry will definitely join us.

Wingers:This is the area that we need to strengthen the most.Babel is the only one who will definitely stay with us.Pennant and Yossi are rumoured to be moving,although I'm not sure Rafa will let Yossi go cheaply.Kuyt is also an option for this position and he won't be leaving.Possible arrivals include Silva,Downing,Milner.Obviously the best option here is Silva,but he is also the most expensive.One of the reasons why I think Rafa is interested in Milner and Downing is because of the "6+5 rule".

Strikers:Only expect a new arrival if it's a big name player eg. Villa,Huntelaar (unlikely though) or Crouch is sold and we need a replacement.

I'm assuming Rafa got 15-20m for transfers this season.Out of that around 7 has been spent on Dossena.
      Which leaves him with enough to only buy 1 good player,and looking at the squad I'd say he would go for a winger.
      For any other additions,we will probably have to wait for a few departures.

ps:I'm waiting for Rafa to surprise us all and make me look stupid.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #21: Jun 28, 2008 04:37:29 pm
      I think a lot of stuff will go down about a week after the final game on Sunday and I think Rafa will pull of a move that comes from no where to surprise everyone (like he did with Babel last season since everyone assume he was going to Arsenal).

chrislfc22
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 372 posts | -6 
      Reply #22: Jun 28, 2008 05:20:44 pm
      In my own view of selection I would want David Villa, Gareth Barry, David Silva dont know about Downing though?? Crouch looks set to leave along with Kewell if he is still there now, along with Benayoun but he has come out to say he loves Liverpool on sky sports news

Quick Reply