Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Liverpool Must Sign More Quality Players To Take Pressure Off Gerrard And Torres

Read 1967 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Liverpool Must Sign More Quality Players To Take Pressure Off Gerrard And Torres
      Apr 19, 2010 02:25:47 pm
      Liverpool Must Sign More Quality Players To Take Pressure Off Steven Gerrard And Fernando Torres - Vladimir Smicer

Goal but it's an exclusive ;D

Former star disappointed with Reds' poor campaign...

Liverpool's poor season has been caused by an over-reliance on star duo Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres, according to former Anfield favourite Vladimir Smicer.

The Czech winger, who made more than 150 appearances for the Reds between 1999 and 2005, told talkaloadofbull.com UK exclusively that whilst Gerrard and Torres remain two of the world's best, Liverpool need more players to step up and ease the burden on the prized pair.

"The team relies too much on Steven Gerrard and Fernando Torres," he said, "And when you have so much dependence on just two players, there is always a chance that problems will occur.

"Of course Steven and Fernando are two of the best in the world, and Liverpool are lucky to have them, but they also need to add more players on whom they can depend, and take some of the pressure off those two."

In what has been a frustrating campaign for Rafael Benitez's side, Liverpool now look set to finish outside the Premier League's top-four, and miss out on qualification for the Champions League. Smicer admits it is frustrating to see his former side struggling so badly, particularly after running Manchester United so close in last season's title-race.

"Last season they were playing fantastic football," he said. "They were beating Manchester United 4-1 and playing really good stuff, and there was a big expectation for this season.

"For whatever reason, it hasn’t happened, and of course that is disappointing for the supporters and also for the players. It disappoints me of course, because I want to see Liverpool doing well.”
      Smicer left Anfield on a high after scoring in the 2005 Champions League final, and though his time at Anfield was littered with niggling injuries and accusations of inconsistency, he insists he has nothing but fond memories of his stay on Merseyside.

"Six years in football is a long time," he says, "And I spent six years at Liverpool so I will always keep a special place for the club in my heart. I enjoyed my time at the club and the supporters were fantastic with me.

"I always look out for Liverpool’s results and follow their progress of course. As I say, to spend six years at a club in football is a long time, and I like to see Liverpool doing well.

"Only Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher remain at Liverpool from when I was playing, so it is not easy to stay in touch with the club in some respects.

"But it is great to come back to Liverpool. I have been back only maybe four or five times since I left in 2005, so it is good to come back, and I am lucky as every time I come back to Liverpool I seem to pick the time when there is sunshine!"

Smicer's return to Merseyside comes in a week in which Liverpool marked the 21st anniversary of the Hillsborough disaster, and the winger says the 96 who lost their lives in 1989 must always be remembered.

"Of course it is a terrible thing, and those who lost their lives should always be remembered," he said, "It is good that Liverpool as a club and as a city can remember the 96 each year, and make sure that they are not forgotten.”

Vladimir Smicer was speaking at the launch of the 2010 European Former Players' Association (EFPA) congress. For more information visit www.efpa2010.com, or www.echoarena.com. Alternatively you can contact efpa@paversmith.com.
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Re: Liverpool Must Sign More Quality Players To Take Pressure Off Gerrard And Torres
      Reply #1: Apr 19, 2010 06:57:35 pm
      No sh*t??? Common sense.... Next thread..... Are we under-achieving?
      Ihatemancs
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 38 posts | -2 
      Re: Liverpool Must Sign More Quality Players To Take Pressure Off Gerrard And Torres
      Reply #2: Apr 19, 2010 08:38:35 pm

Really, no sh*t? Next thread? It's not like your threads have been much better Manky boy! Stop stating the obvious! Yes we are underachieving! We are Liverpool football club! The greatest team in the land! But due to those American cu*ts, we don't have the financial clout to topple the likes of City, Utd, Chelsea etc at the moment!
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #3: Apr 19, 2010 08:52:46 pm
      Really, no sh*t? Next thread? It's not like your threads have been much better Manky boy! Stop stating the obvious! Yes we are underachieving! We are Liverpool football club! The greatest team in the land! But due to those American cu*ts, we don't have the financial clout to topple the likes of City, Utd, Chelsea etc at the moment!
      Manky boy??? What is your obsession with the Mancs. Concentrate on us. We have a better future than them anyway.
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,224 posts | 1647 
      Reply #4: Apr 19, 2010 09:05:13 pm
      Pointless thread? Tell you what was a pointless thread, your one about a team consisting of the sides challenging for the top 4. We always post players views on here and they state the obvious, but we all say how it shows their love for Liverpool.

So stop talking crap, a former player talking positively about us makes a nice change!!

Well in Vladi, shows that he still cares about us...although at the rate we're going we'll be bringing him out of retirement in the summer!!
      YNWABairn
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      • Anti Modern Football
      Reply #5: Apr 19, 2010 09:34:44 pm
      Yeah, some good players would be nice. Now I wonder how we get those good players, food tokens? No, f******g money thats how! And quite frankly that's all that's holding this club back, those two american b*****s
      PGlynn91
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,601 posts | 295 
      • To win just once...
      Reply #6: Apr 20, 2010 01:07:04 am
      Apologies....Was angry earlier ... :)

Quick Reply