Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Top clubs face Euro ban !

Read 2439 times
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Top clubs face Euro ban !
      Jun 27, 2008 08:14:25 am
      TOP CLUBS FACE EURO BAN    :f_steam:      :f_steam:

Manchester United, Chelsea and Liverpool could be banned from the Champions League unless they clear off their massive debts.

UEFA president Michel Platini wants all sides who are in the red to be prevented from entering Europe’s top competition. Platini is fed up that big clubs who are already millions in debt continue to splash out huge transfer fees signing new players.

The two-time World Player of the Year claimed that UEFA will come down hard on clubs that owed hefty sums – a move that could have seen winners United and runners-up Chelsea  banned from last  season’s Champions League.

He said: “UEFA is going to fight to regulate access to its competitions for clubs who are in debt.

“I am not just talking about United and Chelsea, who got to last season’s Champions League final with a big debt, I am speaking in general.

“We are also going to control the money received from TV rights and publicity through competing in European competitions.”

UEFA is going to fight to regulate access to its competitions for clubs who are in debt.

Michel Platini
      Platini was answering questions about Real Madrid’s big money interest in Cristiano Ronaldo.

He added: “If a club has that kind of money at its disposal and wants to invest it in a player it has every right to do so.

“I am more worried about a club that is in debt spending 10 million on a player. We are going to try to regulate this.”

United have debts of £650m, plus £42m in interest payments every year as part of the Glazer takeover deal.

Liverpool’s buy-out by Americans George Gillett and Tom Hicks resulted in a £350m refinancing package.

Roman Abramovich’s big spending at Chelsea has been in the shape of loans to the club totalling £600m.

And Arsenal are reported to have big loans after spending £360m on their new Emirates Stadium.

This could be good 'cos we need DIC now. Rafa won't tolerate the owner without playing in cha. league.
      http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/42148/Top-clubs-face-Euro-ban/
      « Last Edit: Jun 27, 2008 01:13:44 pm by clint_call01, Reason: Links »
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Re: Top clubs face Euro ban !
      Reply #1: Jun 27, 2008 08:34:28 am
      This could be good 'cos we need DIC now. Rafa won't tolerate the owner without playing in cha. league.

I don't know how likely this is to come about, but if we weren't receiving our Champion's League money every year, I don't see how the Americans could continue to run the club. We're already operating at a loss when we go to the semi-finals, so maybe it could force them to sell?
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #2: Jun 27, 2008 09:27:29 am
      How the F**k do Uefa expect loans of £350-£650m be paid of within a year? if we had the money in the first place we would not take out the loan ffs! and it's not as if it's just the English clubs in debt!

Valencia for one are in a financial crisis (which may help us in our persuit for Villa)
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #3: Jun 27, 2008 09:38:56 am
      When the money is borrowed to finance a new stadium, it isn't surprising the amounts cannot be paid back straight away... What should be cracked down on is the kind of crazy spending clubs like Chelsea, Utd and Real Madrid put into buying players. It's here that the biggest divide is made between clubs. Liverpool is a massive club, but we could end up being left behind as we are unable to spend the same amounts as them. Worse, in the effort to keep up, we end up being forced into the same kind of debt they are in.  :f_steam:
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,270 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #4: Jun 27, 2008 10:45:26 am
      Platini is a tosser of the 1st order, I won't go as far as to say he is a racist, but at every turn he puts obstacles it the way for the progression of ENGLISH football, and Liverpool in particular. Real Madrid have been in debt for years and years but has he said anything about them NON, The Italian Clubs rent their grounds so they do not have the overheads that we do, and yet their stadiums are in a dreadful state, and with the fighting and killings recently publicised, has he done anything, NON, We (England) have gone a long way to make safe, high end stadiums which cost money, thus Debt is encured, it will not surprise me when the little fat frog pops up on his Lilly leaf and spouts that any team that converses in English is banned.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #5: Jun 27, 2008 02:05:11 pm
      Im going to look at this as a possitive for now. The CL offers a HUGE ammount of money to the yanks, the option of no CL football may forse them to sell, thats the way im going to look at it for now at least. Utd are more screwed than us anyway if this comes in. What are they, 800mill in debt!
      PWJ505
      • Forum Youth Player

• 18 posts |
      Reply #6: Jun 28, 2008 01:02:59 pm
       I don't understand the logic of banning English clubs from the Champions League because surely it will result in even more debt. Also 3 of the last 4 teams in the competition were English and there has been English clubs in the final for the last 4 years so the English clubs are among the best in Europe.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #7: Jun 28, 2008 01:06:17 pm
      I don't understand the logic of banning English clubs from the Champions League because surely it will result in even more debt. Also 3 of the last 4 teams in the competition were English and there has been English clubs in the final for the last 4 years so the English clubs are among the best in Europe.

The latter of your post is the problem, platini doesnt like the english clubs being soo good because he's... well a pr**k thats the word im looking for in general
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #8: Jun 28, 2008 01:09:50 pm
      Platini is jealous for the big four and he is a sucker.
      I am The Egg Man
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 29 posts |
      • Don't you wish your girlfriend was hot like me!!!
      Reply #9: Jun 28, 2008 01:12:19 pm
      I think it's little more than a lot of hot air coming from UEFA and in reality I do not see how he can force a change in the rules.  If he does force a change in the rules on the grounds that these team have an unfair advantage then all he will do is create another problem by giving another set of teams an unfair advantage.  I think the teams that he would punish are too powerfull for UEFA to be able to really get at in that way.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #10: Jun 28, 2008 09:43:35 pm
      Well, A deficit is not good for any club. Platini is an anti-premierhhip crusader; but the tools he seeks to use to fight the Big 4 were presented to him on a silver platter. True lub with such huge deficit like Man U & Chelsea need to focus on clearing their dept.

The Champions League is weak without the Premiership teams, so Platini's threats are empty.
      « Last Edit: Jun 28, 2008 09:54:38 pm by solodee »
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #11: Jun 29, 2008 08:58:44 am
      This man Platini again, lets get this right, he is a French pr**k.

He got his job in UEFA, by saying to the smaller clubs, he would break the rule about 4 teams from one county down to 3 in the CL.
      He lost that one, because all the telly company's told him to go away (and there the ones who pay the money) where would the CL be with out some of the top teams in it.
      Then he said the crap about how many home players should play in a team, he lost that one because he would break EEC rules.
      Now he is trying to say how to run a football club, lets say he says to Man U. you cant play in the CL because your in 600mill in debt, I'm very sure Man U. or any other club, would take UEFA to every court in the land, and UEFA would lose.

This man just likes to grab the headlines, and talks via his arse, he is just a total French pr**k.
      But he is a smart man,he knows how to get the votes of the smaller clubs in UEFA.

the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #12: Jun 29, 2008 11:44:23 am
      well done UEFA and Michel Platini.

It's long since time that big spenders like Chelsea, Man Utd and Madrid were made to compete on a level playing field, with the rest of us.

We need to see more competitive competitions in England and Europe.  In any other industry, regulators and monopoly legislation/bodies would have stepped in long ago. 

There has to be much more competition; plus there has to be a much fairer distribution of the prize money (re European competition - champions league and uefa cup).  It is not right for example, to see a last 16 club in the uefa cup get only 400,000 pounds, while the champions league winners get nearly 34 million (heck, the semi-finalists all picked up 21 million plus). 
      Ross
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,916 posts | 165 
      Reply #13: Jun 29, 2008 03:13:03 pm
      This man Platini again, lets get this right, he is a French pr**k.

He got his job in UEFA, by saying to the smaller clubs, he would break the rule about 4 teams from one county down to 3 in the CL.
      He lost that one, because all the telly company's told him to go away (and there the ones who pay the money) where would the CL be with out some of the top teams in it.
      Then he said the crap about how many home players should play in a team, he lost that one because he would break EEC rules.
      Now he is trying to say how to run a football club, lets say he says to Man U. you cant play in the CL because your in 600mill in debt, I'm very sure Man U. or any other club, would take UEFA to every court in the land, and UEFA would lose.

This man just likes to grab the headlines, and talks via his arse, he is just a total French pr**k.
      But he is a smart man,he knows how to get the votes of the smaller clubs in UEFA.

bloody good post. he is a tosser
      the dude abides
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 301 posts | -17 
      • Eagles free zone
      Reply #14: Jun 29, 2008 03:22:32 pm
      bloody good post. he is a tosser
      on the contrary, it is a rubbish post.

it's filled with racism, and is factually inaccurate.

graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #15: Jun 29, 2008 04:19:33 pm
      on the contrary, it is a rubbish post.

it's filled with racism, and is factually inaccurate.

I think I'm factually right, he did get his votes of the smaller clubs to get into EUFA, saying he would break the rule on the 4 clubs.
      He did bring out, saying how many home players should be in the side.
      Now he is saying how teams should run there football club.

Racism, yes will go along with that, he is a French pr**k, and he does not like English clubs doing well, when French clubs are getting nowhere.

As far as the CL and the UEFA cup, where do you think most of the money come from for the CL.
      It come from telly rights and adverts, because every one from the EEC wants to watch the CL, and not many want to watch the UEFA cup, that's why smaller clubs like Everton play in this cup.

I'm glad to say Liverpool have had there fair share of the money over the years from the CL.
      And long may it last.

Quick Reply