Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 21st of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Diego Cavalieri (Palmeiras)

Read 8212 times
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 896 
      Re: Diego Cavalieri (Palmeiras)
      Reply #23: Jul 08, 2008 09:38:18 pm
      looks like we have signed him, just read in some other website. too lazy to give u guys the link, sorry.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #24: Jul 08, 2008 09:52:59 pm
      looks like we have signed him, just read in some other website. too lazy to give u guys the link, sorry.

I very much doubt we have completed his signing or else it would have been on ssn or something. i might have believed it if you had posted the link.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #25: Jul 08, 2008 10:59:12 pm
      today I read on a brazilian site that Diego can't speak as a Liverpool player yet, but everything will be finished tomorrow (wednesday). it also said he already passed on the necessary exams and even talked to some of his future team mates. Diego was said to be impressed with Rafa Benitez, who was very receptive with him. also, Lucas and Fabio Aurelio offered him all the help he could need to adapt to a new club and country. :)
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #26: Jul 09, 2008 02:03:38 pm
      I'am not saying he should have the first team spot ahead of reina (no way jose), but what i will say is this guy is good enough to be in most premiership starting places. He is an excellent keeper. I watched a match were he took a free kick and it was a peach, into the top corner of the neat. And no i havent got him mixedup with an other goalkepper
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #27: Jul 09, 2008 03:11:15 pm
      I'am not saying he should have the first team spot ahead of reina (no way jose), but what I will say is this guy is good enough to be in most premiership starting places. He is an excellent keeper. I watched a match were he took a free kick and it was a peach, into the top corner of the neat. And no I havent got him mixedup with an other goalkepper

Is he the guy who has over 50 first team goals?
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #28: Jul 09, 2008 04:30:33 pm
      Here it is  I think its a done deal
      Liverpool are close to completing the £3million signing of Palmeiras goalkeeper Diego Cavalieri, according to the player's agent.

Reds manager Rafa Benitez is keen to secure back-up to current No.1 Jose Reina as doubts surround the long-term future of reserve shot-stopper Scott Carson at Anfield.

Carson spent last season on loan at Aston Villa and it was expected the England international would make the move permanent, but Martin O'Neill has been put off by a reported £10million valuation.

However, Liverpool appear to be making plans for Carson's exit as Cavalieri's agent, Juninho Parmigiani, has confirmed that the 26-year-old Brazilian has had a medical and has acquired a work permit.
      Impress
      "We will conclude everything soon. He (Cavalieri) has already had the necessary medical examinations, talked with some of his new team-mates and has been impressed by what Rafa Benitez had to say to him," Parmigiani told Brazilian media.
      And Palmeiras sporting director, Toninho Cecilio, has confirmed that final negotiations are taking place.
      "I have spoken and he has completed the examinations and is very happy," added Cecilio.
      "There are some clauses still being discussed but nothing that can block the deal."
      Liverpool could recoup some of the fee by selling French goalkeeper Charles Itandje to Galatasaray for £2million.( skysports)
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 404 posts | 22 
      Reply #29: Jul 09, 2008 05:03:45 pm
      too lazy to give u guys the link, sorry.

Copy-pasting is also extremely exhausting...

Anyway, in our current financial situation and with the obvious need of strengthening within the starting 11, I dont get this transfer. This guy may bet better than Itandje, I havent seen enough of either to judge on that. As I mentioned earlier, I thought Itandje did decent in the few games he had this season. If we get this guy for 3 and sell Itandje for 2, then we have used 1 million to improve on a position that is one of the least important to improve on at the moment. One million isnt much, but with the tight transfer budget this season everything counts.
      Of course we need to keep competition for Pepe, but did he look like a guy who didnt care about his performances due to lack of competition last season? Not to me.

Another question I ask myself, how long will this guy be satisfied warming the bench? He is about the same age as Pepe, as Diego LFC said, he was second choice at Palmerias, then was first choice for a season, and now second choice again. After having tried regular first team football, I wonder if he is keen on going back to be second goalie for a long time. If people in Brazil think he could make the cut at a club who needs a new goalie, like AC Milan, why would he spend the next 3-4 years warming our bench, where the chances of becoming number one are quite slim?

If Rafa really wants a new second goalie, how about this instead, send Itandje on loan at Stoke or somewhere and sign Canizares on a free from Valencia. Yeah, he is 38, but Rafa knows him very well from Valencia, he was superb in his prime, and will offer a lot of experience. If Itandje does well on loan, we could sell him next summer for twice the amount we can now, let Canizares be the second goalie a year or two until Martin or Mihajlov is ready. As far as I know Canizares was first choice at Valencia until december 07, when Ronald Koeman became manager and made some weird choices.

The suggestion is probably irrelevant since it seems this transfer goes through, but it would give more sense to me. But if this guy is a goalscoring goalie, at least thats damn cool!  :)
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #30: Jul 09, 2008 09:38:47 pm
      I think that if this goalie is as good as people say he is, then we might find that Rafa will rotate him more with Pepe than Itandje got.If he lives up to expectations then yet again this might prove to be a good bit of business done by Rafa, as his sell-on value would increase if successful at our club.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #31: Jul 09, 2008 09:47:42 pm
      Is he the guy who has over 50 first team goals?

I think you are thinking of the Sao Paulo keeper, he has a alot of goals to his name
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #32: Jul 10, 2008 02:16:50 am
      Heres a 'Highlight Reel' for anyone who hasnt seen him in action.

I know its only a 'Highlight Reel' but i must say there are some stunning saves in there and he reminds me of pepe the way he anticipates danger and comes out to clear kind of like a sweeper.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=W57bzVzRVlA
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #33: Jul 10, 2008 02:21:42 pm
      Welcome big fella! Hope he can be the guy to push Pepe to his limits. Certainly looked impressive from that vid. Cheers lil cisse.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #34: Jul 10, 2008 02:25:01 pm
      Just seen this on KOP TV:

New £3m ‘keeper to push Pepe

Diego Cavalieri is set to be announced as Pepe Reina’s new understudy after completing his medical yesterday in a £3million deal for the Brazilian sticksman.

The 25-year-old was said to be impressed with what manager Rafa Benitez had to say to him which convinced him a move to Merseyside was an easy choice to make.

The players agent, Juninho Parmigiani, insisted the move will go ahead despite a few stumbling blocks involving contract clauses but it’s “nothing that can block the deal”.

Let’s hope he can push Pepe more than Charles Itandje did!

----------------

He can't be THAT good for £3M can he?

Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 611 posts |
      Reply #35: Jul 10, 2008 02:57:17 pm
      Havent heard of him but by the way you guys talk he sounds good.Reina needs someone to keep him on his toes,hopefully this is it.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #36: Jul 10, 2008 03:37:18 pm
      Welcome big fella! Hope he can be the guy to push Pepe to his limits. Certainly looked impressive from that vid. Cheers lil cisse.

no problem mate. Does look good doesnt he, seems to be a commanding goalie who makes the box his own.

Just seen this on KOP TV:

New £3m ‘keeper to push Pepe

Diego Cavalieri is set to be announced as Pepe Reina’s new understudy after completing his medical yesterday in a £3million deal for the Brazilian sticksman.

The 25-year-old was said to be impressed with what manager Rafa Benitez had to say to him which convinced him a move to Merseyside was an easy choice to make.

The players agent, Juninho Parmigiani, insisted the move will go ahead despite a few stumbling blocks involving contract clauses but it’s “nothing that can block the deal”.

Let’s hope he can push Pepe more than Charles Itandje did!

----------------

He can't be THAT good for £3M can he?

I thought this but look at what club he is at. They would hardly demand a larger fee as he is only their second keeper and them being willing to let him go suggests they are happy with their first goalkeeper and probably have another back-up and just some money. Cant see them being a side who spend big on players plus look at pepe he only cost double this.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #37: Jul 10, 2008 04:00:05 pm
      I thought this but look at what club he is at. They would hardly demand a larger fee as he is only their second keeper and them being willing to let him go suggests they are happy with their first goalkeeper and probably have another back-up and just some money. Cant see them being a side who spend big on players plus look at pepe he only cost double this.

Then why get rid of he if he's that good?
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,333 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #38: Jul 10, 2008 04:04:34 pm
      their 1st keeper is Marcos, ask Palmeiras fans about him and some of them will say he is their greatest player of all time.

all Palmeiras fans like Diego, he is a good keeper, but since Marcos is back from injuries and playing well, and Diego also he attracted interest from several clubs, the club decided to make money with him. brazilian clubs don't have much money and I think they sell their players much worse than the argentines, for example, who always make more money with their future flops... :P but even some people here are not happy with the price, they think Diego should go for more.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #39: Jul 10, 2008 04:40:06 pm
      Then why get rid of he if he's that good?

Because the first is so good and regarded so highly i guess. Maybe its the same as the crouch situation with us, great player but they dont want to be unfair and stand in his way of him leaving for a new challenge, selling him for less than maybe they want for him just like us with crouch.
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #40: Jul 10, 2008 05:02:14 pm
      Because the first is so good and regarded so highly I guess. Maybe its the same as the crouch situation with us, great player but they dont want to be unfair and stand in his way of him leaving for a new challenge, selling him for less than maybe they want for him just like us with crouch.

True I'm just hoping he's not another flop we need decent cover and I reckon we should just recall Carson as No2 but I doubt that will happen anyway. 

PS what happened to Hansen? he was a good young talent rising through the ranks last year. 
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #41: Jul 10, 2008 07:25:11 pm
      True I'm just hoping he's not another flop we need decent cover and I reckon we should just recall Carson as No2 but I doubt that will happen anyway. 

PS what happened to Hansen? he was a good young talent rising through the ranks last year. 

I dont think he'll be a flop i reckon he will do well with us. I can understand people being concerned he could not do well but im confident he will be a good keeper.

The carson thing, i wanted that before but he's a bit too rude about the club and thinks hes better than he is so he wont settle for anything less than first team football. I just want him sold really, he's gone about things the wrong way, fair enough he wants to be a first team goalkeeper but crouch wanted to be a first team striker and you didnt see him saying i'd rather play in in the championship/league one as a first teamer than stay here.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #42: Jul 10, 2008 09:03:17 pm

Right enough, what did happen to Hansen? I personally dont think Carson is good enough- i always said "give him a chance" thinking he was very good but he just dosent really impress me. Anyway, way cant David Martin be good second choice? (not saying deigo wouldnt be)
      Babelinhio
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #43: Jul 10, 2008 09:34:56 pm
      And like I said theres about 5 keepers at the club who can sit on the bench to cover Pepe why spend decent money on another bench warmer? If you say we need an experienced keeper for cover why not trawl the lower leagus for an older keeper who'd be happy to sit on the bench for Liverpool. And how do you think the young keepers like Martin will feel if they see Rafa in the market for a keeper cant be good for there confidence can it?

We are supposed to be tight for cash so put the 3 million towards a player who will actually push us on not sit on the bench every week

Your missing the point I fear, Reina needs competition so that he does not become complacent, if you had actually watched Diego you would realise that he is actually as good a keeper as Reina and will push him all the way for a place in the team. The idea of putting inexperienced bench warmers in the team  is not productive and does not breed a winning mentality, competition for places is paramount for a title winning sustained approach.
      Babelinhio
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #44: Jul 10, 2008 09:38:43 pm

How would carson be a decent backup, he has actully regressed since going out on loan over the last few years and become a worse keeper than when he left us, you will find out that Diego is infinitely better than carson and could even give Reina a scare.
      maucaradepau
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #45: Jul 10, 2008 10:15:23 pm
      He is a steal at 3 mil.. Marcos is one o Brazil's all time best keepers if not the best..Won a Libertadores and World Cup with excellent goalkeeping and Diego filled his shoes quite well for two years that Marcos spent off the team with injuries...The team did not miss a beat.. Marcos is back to top form and Diego is too talented a keeper to sit on the bench and is ready to play that is why he is being sold.. Marcos is Palmeiras number two idol behind Ademir Da Guia so he can't sit on the becnh.. Diego is better than Doni or Rogerio Ceni..just as good as Gomes or Julio Cesar if not better..He could easily start on any team in the world that is how good and ready he is..If Pepe is injured you will not lose matches due to suspect goalkeeping trus me

Quick Reply