Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 15th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

Skrtel or Agger-Which player is better

Read 3971 times
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 611 posts |
      Skrtel or Agger-Which player is better
      Jul 11, 2008 09:29:11 am
      Its been on my mind for a while now.I dont think Rafa will put Carra on the bench so who will he play next to him(Skrtel or Agger)
      I prefer Skrtel.What do you think? ???
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Re: Skrtel or Agger-Which player is better
      Reply #1: Jul 11, 2008 09:36:52 am
      Does it really matter?

But, in my opinion they are both very good players, both still very young and still have a lot of time to improve their game.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #2: Jul 11, 2008 09:41:40 am
      skrtel looked the better of the two, very solid at the back with a bit more experience i think he will be a force in defense
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 611 posts |
      Reply #3: Jul 11, 2008 09:53:56 am
      Does it really matter?

But, in my opinion they are both very good players, both still very young and still have a lot of time to improve their game.
      Does any of the threads matter,its just conversation and peoples different opinions
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #4: Jul 11, 2008 10:00:34 am
      It's that long since I've seen Dan I've forgoten just how good he is!
      It'll be good to see them playing side by side, then I think we will be more able to make an accurate assessment of each of their attributes?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,378 posts | 2884 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #5: Jul 11, 2008 11:02:04 am
      Dont know about whos better but it will be one super defensive partnership thats for sure
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 611 posts |
      Reply #6: Jul 11, 2008 11:10:54 am
      Yeah our defense is great and up to standard just have to concentrate on the left and right wing.Then the team should be up their with the mancs and chelsea.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #7: Jul 11, 2008 11:30:18 am
      Rafa Benitez said one of the key problems we had with our title race was the absence of Agger! That spoke volumes.
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #8: Jul 11, 2008 11:35:31 am
      Agger is the better footballer. For me, he will be the best defender in England for years to come.

Superb passing, scores goals, reads the game well - top class. But Skrtel is a beast of a defender, and not shabby on the ball either.

I expect Agger, Carragher and Skrtel to play around 40 games each if all are fit and we have 60 matches next season.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #9: Jul 11, 2008 11:41:09 am
      It's a difficult one to sum up. They're both excellent defenders. As mentioned above, Skrtel is a beast of a player. Some of the tackles last season had Anfield on it's feet in the same manner as Torres' one on ones! :D

But Agger scores goals, and his passing was sorely missed last season. Because of this I'd go for Agger. His absence was apparent last season and it'll add another dimension this season.

The two of them playing together this season will be a spectacle! :D It'll take a bit of the burden off Carragher and will make sure we've got our top defenders on the pitch because of the competition between the three of them. It's nothing but good for the squad! :)
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #10: Jul 11, 2008 12:01:09 pm
      This is a difficult one,both have different attributes,Agger probably quicker,Skrtel much more physical and better at the nitty gritty stuff.Tough choice-just goes to show the quality we have in this area.What a choice for Rafa.Guess it will be horses for courses..
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 611 posts |
      Reply #11: Jul 11, 2008 12:18:32 pm
      Hyypia,Carra,Skrtel and Agger.Top class mid defense.Looks like Reina will get the golden glove again this season.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3392 
      Reply #12: Jul 11, 2008 12:22:48 pm
      neither is better because there two different players. Agger is much more comfortable on the ball and easier on the eye, Skrtel is much more kick you into row z. Two different players who in future years will compiment each other so well.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #13: Jul 11, 2008 12:41:11 pm
      It is hard to seperate them but in my opinion Agger is the better player due to his ability to link up the play from the defence and spot those all important passes that lead to chances and goals. His goal tally is pretty good to and if you look back at our defensive record before and after he got injured it speaks for itself.

Thats not to say Skrtel isnt a phenominal player though, thats just how good Agger is. Skrtel impressed me so much when we got him, even before we got him hearing rafa say he is similar to carragher and him being described as a no nonsense defender game me confidence he would succeed. Even after his first game i was backing him up when people said 'ah we've signed a crap defender. I beleve that game made him better, if you have a bad first game it gives you that insight into how bad things can be for you and gives you the determination you need never to let it happen again. I love his no nonsense attitude and he seems to like playing well against chavski which is always a bonus.

No disrespect to the legend that is sami hyypia but if you look at that semi final vs chavski. Skrtel coming off was a big turning point in that game, he was a huge loss as was Aurelio in the 2 legs of the semi final tie. Aurelio having been injured then his replacement scores the own goal at anfield which gave them the edge going into the second leg. Skrtels injury forcing him out of the game then Sami gave away a penalty which they scored. Credit to him as he did the right thing and got into the opposition box and should have been awarded a penalty too after being brought down in the box, you see what i mean though.

They will be a helll of a partnership, I cant wait to see them pair up, it will take alot to get past them once they have formed a good rapport with one another in those centre back positions.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #14: Jul 11, 2008 02:07:11 pm
      neither is better because there two different players. Agger is much more comfortable on the ball and easier on the eye, Skrtel is much more kick you into row z. Two different players who in future years will compiment each other so well.
      I agree with every word. I can see them play for lfc in many years to come and they will be the best partner in england! But I think that Skrtel is better than agger but he can't pass the ball like agger.
      EddieC

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #15: Jul 11, 2008 02:25:32 pm

Bloody hell! It might have taken 243 posts but you've finally said something I agree wholeheartedly with!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #16: Jul 11, 2008 02:42:24 pm
      D.Agger in terms of whats better for the team. He brings it out of defence so easily and effectively. Was a big loss when he got injured, could have seen us with more points on the ladder if he didnt have Sami and Carra playing that many games in a row.
      The Mash
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #17: Jul 11, 2008 02:49:39 pm
      Its been on my mind for a while now.I dont think Rafa will put Carra on the bench so who will he play next to him(Skrtel or Agger)
      I prefer Skrtel.What do you think? ???
      Dan agger is a better player at bringing the ball out of defense but as far as defensive duties go they have proved to be as good as each other...........
      AJ

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #18: Jul 11, 2008 02:54:27 pm
      Agger he is a class all rounder whereas I noticed that although Skrtel is good in the air and getting back, he aint very good pushing forward where Agger is and thats what we need multi tasking at the back as well as keeping in tight.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #19: Jul 11, 2008 03:53:28 pm
      If I had to pick one I would go with Agger because it is hard to find a defender who is much cultured in his play rather than a hard nose, no non-sense defender.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #20: Jul 11, 2008 04:41:42 pm
      they are 2 completely different centre halves and will make a brilliant centre half partnership for liverpool for the forseeable future, remember both of them are very young, we really missed agger last season his ability to come out of the defence with the ball was sadly missed, he is a player in the hansen mould really classy on the ball and a good reader of the game, i lwould ike to see how scum would have coped without ferdinand for the season, skertel on the other hand is a no nonsense defender to be honest a bit like vidic, he has really impressed since he came in january bar the utd game at old trafford he has being superb, i dont think with have any worries in this department for the forseeable future
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #21: Jul 11, 2008 04:55:24 pm
      I dont think they can be compared as they are totally different players yet they play in the same position, i cant wait to see them them be at the back together though.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #22: Jul 12, 2008 10:46:56 pm
      This is a tough one  ???

I go with Agger he dosent defend better than Skrtel but he just has something special which beats Skrtel. I think Agger gets forward more aswell and plays amazing balls

But if I had the choice of taking on Agger or Skrtel, Martin Skrtel will win everytime he looks scary  :o

Its been on my mind for a while now.I dont think Rafa will put Carra on the bench

Cant agree sorry i think Carra will play Right Back
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #23: Jul 12, 2008 11:33:07 pm
      Agger gets my vote. Both are great defenders, they are both quick and both are tough as nails. Its Aggers passing and link up play which will see him started before Skrtel. Carragher is stiill the best central defender in the Premier League but i have a feeling that he will be rested alot next season which will leave us with Agger and Skrtel in an amazing partnership.
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 611 posts |
      Reply #24: Jul 14, 2008 07:34:51 am
      Carra in right back,cant see that happening,His got central defending down to the tee.He is definitely the best central defender in the PL.I dont think Rafa would wanna change him.
      RouGaBoy
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts | -1 
      Reply #25: Jul 14, 2008 10:36:35 am
      agger and martin are very good palyer
      Radovan Basic
      • Forum Youth Player

• 6 posts |
      Reply #26: Jul 14, 2008 10:45:58 am
       :f_sorry: for my bed English

Agger and Škrtel can play in pair when Carra play on DR,but for me Carra is better on Dc than on DR.

We have best defenders in the world. :scarf:
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #27: Jul 14, 2008 01:23:22 pm
      I think that by the end of the season Skrtel and Agger will be playing alongside eachother more than Carra and either of them. But if i had to pick one, i'd go for Agger
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #28: Jul 14, 2008 01:27:49 pm
      We have best defenders in the world. :scarf:

Bad english? Most intelligent thing anyone could say mate!
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #29: Jul 14, 2008 02:08:54 pm
      i cant pick- just have carra on the right and both skrtel and dane agger in the centre and dossena on the left
      Shandaman
      • Forum Billy Liddell
      • Started Topic

• 611 posts |
      Reply #30: Jul 15, 2008 07:11:36 am
      I cant pick- just have carra on the right and both skrtel and dane agger in the centre and dossena on the left
      What about Degen,I heard he had a cracker against Transmere.

Quick Reply