Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 9th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D1 L0

Lessons learnt from watching Liverpool

Read 3485 times
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Lessons learnt from watching Liverpool
      Jul 14, 2008 02:25:19 pm
      Just wondering, have any of use ever learnt an important life lesson from watching the reds over the years? I would have to say that i have learnt to keep going in life, no matter how bad things are going- i learnt that from the final in istanbul
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Lessons learnt from watching Liverpool
      Reply #1: Jul 14, 2008 02:28:33 pm
      Just wondering, have any of use ever learnt an important life lesson from watching the reds over the years? I would have to say that I have learnt to keep going in life, no matter how bad things are going- I learnt that from the final in istanbul

When times are rough, laugh at Everton.
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #2: Jul 14, 2008 03:13:54 pm
      Always watch matches especially finals, with someone, in case you pass out. They can then wake you up and make sure you don't miss the celebrations.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Jul 14, 2008 03:20:35 pm
      Always watch matches especially finals, with someone, in case you pass out. They can then wake you up and make sure you don't miss the celebrations.

:D :D :D Good one Bpatel.

I personally feel from watching Liverpool in the early 90's I had to learn how to take the good with the bad. It was something I wasn't used to when I was growing up. Because it was mostly all good.
      RedWilly

• 9,218 posts | 1646 
      Reply #4: Jul 14, 2008 03:53:24 pm
      I was just chocked on my food. Cheers for that!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #5: Jul 14, 2008 03:57:13 pm
      I was just chocked on my food. Cheers for that!!

More like you lost your ability to speak English mate :D

No worries btw ;)
      « Last Edit: Jul 14, 2008 04:13:29 pm by crouchinho »
      paulrobbo

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #6: Jul 14, 2008 04:11:27 pm
      Drink 10 pints before we play AC Milan.
      RedWilly

• 9,218 posts | 1646 
      Reply #7: Jul 14, 2008 04:27:25 pm
      More like you lost your ability to speak English mate :D

No worries btw ;)
      So I have haha! I'll change that later, see what you done, made me perform incorrect spelling AND choke!!! You're trying to kill me admit it!
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #8: Jul 14, 2008 05:40:10 pm
      :D :D :D Good one Bpatel.

I personally feel from watching Liverpool in the early 90's I had to learn how to take the good with the bad. It was something I wasn't used to when I was growing up. Because it was mostly all good.
      You are absolutely correct......supporting LFC through the seventies and eighties has spoilt us, that's without a doubt!
      Because back then we were the best in the world by a chasm, nobody could touch us, and that is what has set the bar so very high for me.
      What have I learnt from all our trials and tribulations? 
      Its,s a cliche I know but it's all built from the ground up over many years, and that started with the best manager in the world!
      We had that, and he built our clubs foundations, from the sixties onward until he left us, he was the greatest ever manager, and man that has ever, and will ever be associated with fooball.
      He showed us how to believe in ourselves, and never ever except second best!  I often think what would Skanks do now, that's the impression the man has left on me.
      The top and tail of it is that we've been spoilt rotten, we will always be striving to measure up to the great man, and we'll always fall short!
      « Last Edit: Jul 15, 2008 07:17:23 am by neilh2105 »
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #9: Jul 14, 2008 06:57:33 pm

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #10: Jul 14, 2008 07:13:01 pm
      Expect to lose 2 years of your life when Liverpool are playing in some form of Cup Final
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,369 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #11: Jul 14, 2008 07:19:39 pm
      I learned that I can make some great choices in life after all I chose Liverpool as my team  ;D  On a more serious note tho I think I learned a lot about dignity I mean I watched the reds steamroll everyone year in year out and never brag about it or boast and then in the 90s when I hit my teens the bad times hit so I learned about faith and loyalty. The 90s I think in a strange way helped me to love the club probably more then I would if we had have kept winning everything I hope that doesnt sound weird to ye. I think it helped me get behind them even more and in school defend the name of Liverpool despite losses to Bristol city and the like
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #12: Jul 14, 2008 07:24:08 pm
      Expect to lose 2 years of your life when Liverpool are playing in some form of Cup Final

And 2 inches off your nails.  I'm sure I was down to the knuckle over Istanbul.
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #13: Jul 14, 2008 09:03:14 pm
      Never to sit in the Centenary stand if you are over 6 foot tall?  :f_tongueincheek:
      RedRoy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,483 posts | 88 
      Reply #14: Jul 14, 2008 09:34:07 pm
      You are absolutely correct......supporting LFC through the seventies and eighties has spoilt us, that's without a doubt!
      Because back then we were the best in the world by a chasm, nobody could touch us, and that is what has set the bar so very high for me.
      What have I learnt from all our trials and tribulations? 
      Its,s a cliche I know but it's all built from the ground up over many years, and that start with the best manager in the world!
      We had that, and he built our clubs foundations, from the sixties onward until he left us, the greatest ever manager and man that has ever, and will ever be associated with fooball.
      He showed us how to believe in ourselves, and never ever except second best!  I often think what would Skanks do now, that's the impression the man has left on me.
      The top and tail of it is that we've been spoilt rotten, we will always be striving to measure up to the great man, and we'll always fall short!
      Top post neilh, my sentiments exactly.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #15: Jul 15, 2008 12:41:34 pm
      So I have haha! I'll change that later, see what you done, made me perform incorrect spelling AND choke!!! You're trying to kill me admit it!

Kill you? I am not......or am i?  >:D
      sabrina
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 95 posts |
      Reply #16: Jul 16, 2008 05:15:02 pm
      never lose hope :D -in istanbul at half time my dad turnred to me and said "what happened there then?" i shrugged my shoulders and said "if liverpool win, we are gonna saty and watch them lift the cup arent we?"
      RedWilly

• 9,218 posts | 1646 
      Reply #17: Jul 16, 2008 05:41:42 pm
      Kill you? I am not......or am I?  >:D
      Wouldn't put it past you  ;) naa I'm joking mate (obviously!)
      Lessons learnt from the Reds? Appreciate the good times, having grown up in the 90's and not able to really able remember our last title win, means that I had a precious little to celebrate in the 90's, but since the turn of the century we have been on a steady rise, with a lot more success! So yeah would have to be appreciate the good times, and don't walk away during the bad times!
      kwame30
      • Forum John Barnes

• 420 posts |
      Reply #18: Jul 16, 2008 08:07:06 pm
      Beware of Americans bearing gifts.  >:(
      Evilone
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 159 posts | -1 
      Reply #19: Jul 18, 2008 01:16:25 am
      Never give up!
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #20: Jul 18, 2008 01:28:09 am
      Beware of Americans bearing gifts.  >:(

what gifts ?
      kwame30
      • Forum John Barnes

• 420 posts |
      Reply #21: Jul 18, 2008 01:57:50 pm
      Sorry i forgot the key word it should have been beware of Americans bearing false gifts
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #22: Jul 18, 2008 06:16:36 pm
      Seems like everyone have learnt the same lessons as me...

1. Drink enough beer (For calming down your breakdancing nerves)
      2. When you think youve had enough, get some more... it normally takes longer than 90 mins!
      3. And then some more... to survive the penalty shoot outs and the celebration after! ;D

After a few games not having this ^  in, i now feel confident i could take any nerve blasting game easy peasy, any day! ::)
      « Last Edit: Jul 18, 2008 06:30:51 pm by Watt »
      fanatic dee
      • Forum Paul Walsh

• 114 posts |
      Reply #23: Jul 18, 2008 11:32:01 pm
      Having watched my first Cup Final in '87 when the Arse beat us in the League Cup Final 2-1 (thanks to 'Champagne Charlie') I have watched many great matches and grew up on success.
      Through the dark 90's fulled with mediocre players in average teams, when we were a laughing stock in comparison to the glory days, it only strengthened my resolve about how much I love this club and how it hurts when it doesn't go well.
      I remember when I cried and was inconsolable at the last kick of the 88-89  season and even when the poor relations  across the way brought an end to our unbeaten run record in the old First Division the year before.

I WOULDN'T HAVE SWOPPED IT FOR ANYTHING   :kop5cf8koxp6:
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #24: Jul 19, 2008 01:17:50 am
      Having watched my first Cup Final in '87 when the Arse beat us in the League Cup Final 2-1 (thanks to 'Champagne Charlie') I have watched many great matches and grew up on success.
      Through the dark 90's fulled with mediocre players in average teams, when we were a laughing stock in comparison to the glory days, it only strengthened my resolve about how much I love this club and how it hurts when it doesn't go well.
      I remember when I cried and was inconsolable at the last kick of the 88-89  season and even when the poor relations  across the way brought an end to our unbeaten run record in the old First Division the year before.

I WOULDN'T HAVE SWOPPED IT FOR ANYTHING   :kop5cf8koxp6:
      Good point i go back a lot further than that ,the good news is that that you suport liverpool fc  the best loved club side in the world.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #25: Jul 19, 2008 07:29:43 am
      The biggest lesson for me is to Expect the Unexpected
      Sinno-91
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      Reply #26: Jul 22, 2008 02:13:40 pm
      You very rarely get what you deserve.