Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Pick your two top LFC centre-backs? (Log in to vote)

Sami Hyypia
      (2.5%)
      Daniel Agger
      (27.5%)
      Jack Hobbs
      (0%)
      Jamie Carragher
      (41.7%)
      Martin Skrtel
      (28.3%)

The 2008/09 Centre Back debate

Read 7218 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      The 2008/09 Centre Back debate
      Jul 14, 2008 08:08:21 pm
      Skrtel.
      Agger.
      Hyypia.
      Carragher.
      Hobbs.

You are Benitez.

Which two will knock up the most appearances this season?

Who are our best two choices?

The great Alan Hansen once said 'You don't rotate your centre-backs' and I for one am a big supporter of this idea.  Tinkering with your winger here and there is fine - they need to stay sharp and be able to put in a full 90 minutes of leathering up and down the pitch.  Centre-backs, for me, are a whole different breed.

Agger's a fine centre back but with missing practically a whole season, for me, he is the man with the biggest point to prove.  Carragher, to even dream of dropping Carragher would be tantamount to heresy?

Hyypia - he's past it isn't he? I doubt it.

While I expect Skrtel and Carragher to start the season, I have a sneaking suspicion it may be Skrtel and Agger who finish it. 
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Re: The 2008/09 Centre Back debate
      Reply #1: Jul 14, 2008 08:46:47 pm
      Funnily enough I think a fit Agger has more of a concrete place than Carragher. Whether you want to say thats tantamount to heresy or not, it's what I believe. Carra, much as I think he's an absolute legend and two years ago wouldn't have traded him for any other defender in the Premiership, no one can deny he's getting on a bit now. He's lost even more pace (not that he had a lot to begin with) and his excellent anticipation is starting to become a little tested. Last year there were several matches in which he had very poor games, and was put in situations where you could see very clearly he was uncomfortable and couldn't handle it, so he ended up giving away fouls. Now, the same really applies for Hyypia, even more so in fact, as he's older. Though he did very well last year, and had some sound games, he's not comparable to Vidic, to Terry or Carvalho, Toure or even Ferdinand. I think Agger has the quality to be a Carvalho/Toure-type and Skrtel is well on the way to becoming a Vidic sort of player. These quick(ish), strong, powerful and comfortable on the ball centre backs are what we need to progress. Carra and Hyypia are both very strong, but both lack a lot of pace, and neither is that good on the ball, so if we can't involve the midfield we tend to go long with hopeful balls played by centre backs who aren't good enough to pick a pass. Agger and Skrtel have both shown they can play fantastic passes, and have good vision from the back, which would only benefit the team.

I think I agree with you though JD, Rafa will go with Skrtel and Carra to start, and finish with Squirtle and Agger. In fact, that's what I'm secretly hoping for.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #2: Jul 14, 2008 09:25:06 pm
      Jamie Carragher facing the Anfield scrap heap?

Maybe he should have stayed on with England after all.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Jul 14, 2008 09:40:45 pm
      I've gone for Agger and Carragher.

Although as much as I agree with the notion of sticking with two centre backs, I fear Carragher may well be switched about a bit or even rested now and again because of how Skrtel has proven to be a solid, no nonesense defender for us.

But as the first post suggests, if I was Rafa, I'd have Agger in because his ability to bring the ball out, pick out a good pass and create space is very valuable. And he's a very good defender with it.

Then Carragher, as much as he might be getting on a bit....? There is no doubt his leadership, no nonesense defending and reading of the game edges out Skrtel.

One thing we can be sure of though is that there's no room for sentiment with Rafa. And although I highly doubt Carragher will be subject to the bench as much as Crouch was last season, I'm quite confident that Rafa will want to test the partnership of Skrtel and Agger sometimes.

Hopefully, the competition can only inspire our centre backs rather than hinder them.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #4: Jul 14, 2008 09:45:13 pm
      If we're going for goals then you'd have to have Hyypia and Agger - both can weigh in with a handful of goals.

I fear for Jamie. I really do.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #5: Jul 14, 2008 09:50:38 pm
      I think Carra will still be 1st choice because he is the one most of the defenders look to and he keeps the defence in line, he is also a leader and a key part of the team. Him and Stevie are pretty 1st choice no matter how many other players play in their posistion IMO because they are part of the spine and foundations of the team
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #6: Jul 14, 2008 09:57:17 pm
      Carragher and Skrtel will do for me. Agger has been out too long. But we may start playing three Centre backs and two wide full backs. kinda like this below

Reina

Carragher    Skrtel    Agger

Dosenna                                          Degen
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #7: Jul 14, 2008 10:16:33 pm
      Carragher and Skrtel will do for me. Agger has been out too long. But we may start playing three Centre backs and two wide full backs. kinda like this below

Reina

Carragher    Skrtel    Agger

Dosenna                                          Degen

Good point Solodee. I know I've been a bit confused at times when we've brought on a wide defender and taken a winger off, when our backs have been against the wall. But the three at the back idea with wide defenders playing more forward has been good for us with piling the pressure on. I don't think we'll see us starting many games with that formation but we might end a few games like that.

Regarding Agger being out for too long though, don't you think it's practically like having a new signing with the inside knowledge of how his team mates play?

If we're going for goals then you'd have to have Hyypia and Agger - both can weigh in with a handful of goals.

That's also a good point but surely we have to go for the defending first and foremost?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #8: Jul 14, 2008 11:34:17 pm
      Carra and Agger simply because they compliment each other so well.

Jamie Carragher has never been blistering in terms of pace. He's still the best reader of the game we have, esepcially at the back. He organises that defence, I'm not sure Agger/Skrtel are yet ready to take the responsibilty of leader at the back. Both still bein young and that. Carra doesn't shy away from that responsibilty, he gets the defence sorted. It's on his order the defence pushes up to play the offside and when they sit back. He is a must in any Liverpool side. Young defenders will learn much quicker of playing along side Carra than any other of our defenders, including Sami. Carra also has the ability to get other players out of trouble. If the balls given away cheaply, you can put your house on Carra being there to mop up. His bravery to go into every tackle is somethin none of our other defenders have either. Skrtel is solid and certainly not afraid of puttin his body on the line, but not the way Carra does.

Agger for me has to be the other choice. We need that contrast in styles. We need to be able to play from the back as well as hoof it into row z. Agger's ability to see the play and then use that ability to put in a raking diagonal pass is excellent. He's shown that he can bounce back as well, those semi finals against Chelsea in 07. First leg Drogba ran him raggered, but back at Anfield he showed how good he is. Danny Agger for me is the best young defender in the world. If he can stay fit these season and put that injury to the back of his mind then we're on for a bloody good season.

Sayin all that, the amount of games we play during a season, there'll be more than enough chances for everyone to prove themselves. It's a good position for Rafa Benitez to be in. To be able to pick from the two greatest defenders this club has had post 2000 (carra an sami) as well as two of the best young defenders in the game (agger an skrtel) as well as a few up and comin lads who are the future of this club (hobbs an san jose) Healthy competition.
      lil cisse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,957 posts | 62 
      Reply #9: Jul 15, 2008 01:21:25 am
      I actually cant decide but what i will say is i hope our defenders dont get annoyed with being benched alot because centre backs should really be rotated much.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #10: Jul 15, 2008 01:46:19 am
      As I said in another thread I have the bad hunch that they will be rotated depending on who they are playing. Hope I am wrong but I just think Rafa just loves the tactical battle of it and with all the options we have.

If I was the manager I would really start the blooding of the Skrtel-Agger partnership. I thought Carra shown his age a little but last season and I dunno if he will continue this trend this season we will have to see.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #11: Jul 15, 2008 08:14:07 am
      I think we can all agree that we like Carra, he has nothing but loyalty towards LFC and he is a great defender and leader on the field, i think Carra with his experience will play next to skirtel and they will police the middle, i think hyypia is just about passed it he has lost some pace and gets past way to easy especially with the new quick strikers around, he is still pretty strong and good in the air but i think its time for him to move on now with agger skirtel and Carra there isn't much place for him. saying that i agree that you can not rotate the central defenders they need to build up a relationship and communication that central pairs need to function as a solid unit. with skirtel and agger being still very new to the team i cant see the gaffer dropping Carra you need experience in the center and that is what Carra offers as well as being a superb defender.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #12: Jul 15, 2008 09:00:24 am
      IMO , I think it will be Carra and Skrtel.  For starters JC has been there done that. Sure he might be getting a bit slower but how many times has he been there in the crunch times, how many goals has he saved with a last ditch tackle, a toe to knock it out just when we thought the other team were certainties to score. You just can't replace that overnight and I think Carra will be the main stay in the central defensive partnership this season.

Skrtel will be alongside him because he's just one mean mother that scares the sh*t out of opposition defences. I just don't thing Agger will start as much as Skrtel. Not for the first few months anyway. Agger's just come back from nearly a season off and as good as he is and as good and comfortable as he looked against Tranmere, with all due respect it was only Tranmere. He's going to have to get used to the pace of playing in the top flight again and I feel it will take more than just a few friendly matches for him to get up to scratch.

One thing I do know is that they are an awesome back 3 ....can't wait to see how our new RB & LB go alongside whoever RAFA decides to play in Central defense.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #13: Jul 15, 2008 09:13:21 am
       I voted for Skrtel and Agger as the centre backs for the reason I think Carragher has the experience to fit in anywhere across the back.I do like solodes idea of the 3 playing across the back with the 2 full backs out wide.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #14: Jul 15, 2008 12:17:59 pm
      Carra and Dagger. Just the perfect partnership to me. Jamie is the no nonsense, clear it, old school defender who you can rely on 100% of the time and Dagger is able to bring out the ball and link defence to midfield.

I'm surprised people are doubting Carra, he is an untouchable and part of the spine, you dont mess with the spine of the team.

We were all over the shop without Danny, he is a rock.

Just hope Martin doesnt threaten Rafa.
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #15: Jul 15, 2008 10:05:57 pm
      Daniel Agger & Martin Skrtel

I choose these because i believe these are the dream partnership you have Agger who loves to get forward create chances and allow other people to get forward but again still a great defender then you have Skrtel a monster and one of the best center backs  in England so i choose these 2

i wouldnt drop Carra though he would start right back or Agger would start Defensive Mid maybe  ???
      lfcreds27
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 138 posts | -5 
      Reply #16: Jul 15, 2008 10:32:18 pm
      This is a real tough one, went for Carragher and Agger in the end but Skrtel will surely get a decent amount of games.

I believe Skrtel and Agger if they become our centre back partnership this season will stay there but it is unlikely since Carra is at his high peak.

MsGerrard
      Reply #17: Jul 15, 2008 10:46:57 pm
      I'm going for Jamie Carragher and Dan Agger, as I think these two are the best pair, especially in important games. That's not taking anything away from Skrtel, who I think did an amazing job last season and will obviously only get better. But he has time on his side, and Jamie, as wonderful as he is, has started to slow down ever so slightly.......his experience though,  just like that of Sami's is essential in those all important European games and League games against the top sides.

Although I expect as the season wears on, to see a bit more of Skrtel replacing Jamie as I can see him tiring, unless of course Rafa rotates, and what about Sami?  I'm sure Rafa will give him a few games, I'd like to think that depending on the opposition, Rafa will play who he thinks will be best suited.

Don't want to much rotating around though  ::)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #18: Aug 16, 2008 11:06:11 pm
      Interestingly

Hyypia - Carragher take a lead with 1 joint appearance.

Surprised.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #19: Aug 16, 2008 11:13:18 pm
      Hyypia - Carragher take a lead with 1 joint appearance.

Are we not counting Wednesday then?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #20: Aug 18, 2008 12:09:53 am
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #21: Aug 18, 2008 04:43:12 pm
      I think its pretty much certain Carragher will be 1st choice centre back
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #22: Sep 14, 2008 01:30:07 am
      Daniel Agger..... remember when he used to play for us?

Interesting eh.

Quick Reply