Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 7th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P4 W3 D0 L1

Massive points penalty for Luton

Read 1853 times
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Jul 10, 2008 05:14:59 pm
      Troubled League Two side Luton Town will start the new season with a massive 30-point deduction, the Football League have confirmed.

The Hatters, who had 10 points deducted earlier in the summer after breaching Football Association regulations over agents fees, have had an extra 20 points taken away on Thursday by the Football League.

Luton were hit with the latest penalty after applying to come out of administration, but the League have confirmed they will have to face the deduction before the campaign kicks off.

The Hatters went into administration in November last year and were deducted 10 points as a result, and eventually finished bottom of League One last season.

The 2020 group have agreed a takeover package for the club, but they were unable to agree a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) with the club's creditors, and the Football League Board have now decided they must face the deduction.

Leeds were deducted 15 points from their League One tally last season, and the Hatters have now also been hit with a deduction.

A Football League statement today read: "Luton Town were unable to agree a CVA with their creditors and as a consequence are unable to satisfy the normal conditions of the League's insolvency policy for exiting administration.

"The board decided, however, that they were prepared to exercise their absolute discretion under their 'exceptional circumstances' provisions in order to accommodate the new entity.

"In accordance with recent precedent, the board decided to include the following principle conditions of entry as a pre-requisite to the exercise of that discretion.

"1) The new company (Luton Town 2020) should pay the unsecured creditors the amount offered at the time of the CVA hearing (16 pence in the pound).

"2) A 20-point deduction should apply in the 2008-09 season, which also takes into account the fact that this is the club's third insolvency event in the last 10 years."

The Hatters now face starting the season 30 points adrift of their League Two rivals, with their previous 10-point deduction being handed out at the start of last month.

That penalty was in relation to 15 charges of misconduct over breaches on FA regulations over payments to agents.

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ______________________

F**k me! Talk about not being able to afford a £20million winger being a problem.

Looks like Luton are going out of the Football League.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Re: Massive points penalty for Luton
      Reply #1: Jul 10, 2008 06:04:40 pm
      Troubled League Two side Luton Town will start the new season with a massive 30-point deduction, the Football League have confirmed.

The Hatters, who had 10 points deducted earlier in the summer after breaching Football Association regulations over agents fees, have had an extra 20 points taken away on Thursday by the Football League.

Luton were hit with the latest penalty after applying to come out of administration, but the League have confirmed they will have to face the deduction before the campaign kicks off.

The Hatters went into administration in November last year and were deducted 10 points as a result, and eventually finished bottom of League One last season.

The 2020 group have agreed a takeover package for the club, but they were unable to agree a Company Voluntary Arrangement (CVA) with the club's creditors, and the Football League Board have now decided they must face the deduction.

Leeds were deducted 15 points from their League One tally last season, and the Hatters have now also been hit with a deduction.

A Football League statement today read: "Luton Town were unable to agree a CVA with their creditors and as a consequence are unable to satisfy the normal conditions of the League's insolvency policy for exiting administration.

"The board decided, however, that they were prepared to exercise their absolute discretion under their 'exceptional circumstances' provisions in order to accommodate the new entity.

"In accordance with recent precedent, the board decided to include the following principle conditions of entry as a pre-requisite to the exercise of that discretion.

"1) The new company (Luton Town 2020) should pay the unsecured creditors the amount offered at the time of the CVA hearing (16 pence in the pound).

"2) A 20-point deduction should apply in the 2008-09 season, which also takes into account the fact that this is the club's third insolvency event in the last 10 years."

The Hatters now face starting the season 30 points adrift of their League Two rivals, with their previous 10-point deduction being handed out at the start of last month.

That penalty was in relation to 15 charges of misconduct over breaches on FA regulations over payments to agents.

________________________ ________________________ ________________________ ______________________

F**k me! Talk about not being able to afford a £20million winger being a problem.

Looks like Luton are going out of the Football League.

I really feel for clubs like Luton and Gretna and their fans. He we are complaining that we have no massuve named winger and these guys are almost non existant. Good luck to them but that doesnt seem enough.
      The Fallen Soldier
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,137 posts | 89 
      Reply #2: Jul 10, 2008 10:43:54 pm
      I really feel for clubs like Luton and Gretna and their fans. He we are complaining that we have no massuve named winger and these guys are almost non existant. Good luck to them but that doesnt seem enough.

I agree, the thing is the whole game is run by old farts who have no idea they really dont (sorry will carling but you were right at least your sport is heading in the right direction). From the Grass Roots up the game is screwed over by coperations or indivduals who have no little or no time unless money or publicity is involved it seems the minnows are fish that are thrown to the slaughter as long as the FA get their cut they dont give a sh*t. Good luck Luton in liquidation in trouble in sh*t and what do the FA and League do instead of helping dig the hole deeper for you to sit in. Politics and Football what a mix!!!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,166 posts | 3388 
      Reply #3: Jul 13, 2008 06:24:10 pm
      I feel sorry for Luton. 30 points deduction is just nonesense. It's not the fans or players fault that the club is in this state so they shouldn't be gettin punished. It should be the idiots runnin the club who couldn't keep the finances under control.

I think the FA have long memories and will punish Luton harshly for a while because of Mike Newell's comments about the woman linesman a while back. Any excuse to punish Luton.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #4: Jul 13, 2008 07:12:45 pm
      Agreed.  To be deducted 30 points seems to be woeful.  However some punishment must occur and a heavy fine would surely make things worse.

It's a shame but it certainly should act as a deterrent to other clubs.  First Leeds, now Luton.  Clubs should be paying attention.  Especially clubs with five letters that begin with an L.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,166 posts | 3388 
      Reply #5: Jul 13, 2008 07:25:48 pm
      JD, don't forget Rotherham, they've got into administration twice.

I still don't think the players or fans should be denined the chance of promotion because of idiots who can't run football clubs. I know Leeds reached the playoff final this year, but that was with a 15 point deduction and won their opening 9 or 10 games. I can't see Luton gettin off to that kinda start.
      Mr Topsy Turvey
      • Forum David Johnson

• 226 posts |
      Reply #6: Jul 16, 2008 08:13:47 am
      Well - look on the brightside - when, and if they get to 0 points, they will have a very high goal difference :P

But it is sad to see such a promising team a few years ago stoop so low, I don't thing I will ever forget our cup tie at Kenilworth Road, both this year and 2006 - right frights they were :) Best of luck to 'em, but that second 10 point deduction just seems unfair on them, and knowing the FA, they will discover there is too much salt content in the chips, and deduct a further 20 points.
      drawde
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts | -1 
      • Adward
      Reply #7: Jul 20, 2008 12:57:57 pm
      It's sad to see previously high up clubs going down. Big clubs may say "Oh no, F**k me! We can't afford the 20m for some crappy winger who may not even work right!" Then you have clubs who consider spending about 40k a huge deal, and less.  These clubs deserve a bit more limelight, rather than the big four sh*t that lights up the screens.

Face it, the further down the leagues you go, the more honest the clubs are. There are exceptions, but it's true for the most part.

Quick Reply