Appealing for offside

Read 2412 times
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Appealing for offside
      Aug 03, 2008 03:18:08 pm
      Just noticed while watching the highlights of the Rangers game that Carra is still stopping and appealing to the linesman for offside in situations where the opposing team thread a ball through the defence. He did this a lot last season (in fact the whole back line were guilty of it) and he was caught out of position or left scrambling to get back when the flag wasn't raised. I thought Rafa would have cut this out unless it's a tactic he feels could be effective. I certainly don't like it and would rather we played to the whistle and left our appealing to after the incident or for someone else to worry about.

Thoughts?
      Mr Topsy Turvey
      • Forum David Johnson

• 226 posts |
      Re: Appealing for offside
      Reply #1: Aug 03, 2008 03:20:47 pm
      Surely a player like Carra should know to play to the whistle - well, you'd hope so anyway.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,732 posts | 3742 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #2: Aug 03, 2008 03:21:55 pm
      I agree with you & they need to continue playing until the refere whistle. the need to pull their hands up but continue in the same time.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,686 posts | 6981 
      Reply #3: Aug 03, 2008 06:09:35 pm
      Didn't Arsenal do quite well with the old 'offside' trap.

I have a theory that it may be some kind of psychological ploy by Benitez to try early on in a game to try and keep the opposition strikers a couple of yards further away from goal.

Either that, or Carra has maybe had just a little too many meals at his Sports Restaurant?

Definitely one to watch when for the Champions League 'competitive' game.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #4: Aug 03, 2008 06:21:08 pm
      I assume if Rafa didn't want the players appealing before the whistle then he'd certainly stamp it out. But I don't think it's the sort of thing that he encourages on a large scale.

I too, prefer the lads to play to the whistle and hate to see an appeal not being justified, with the defender in question scrambling back. But I think a lot of the time it's just a natural reaction. Especially because of the way we can keep a very good line at the back as well.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,201 posts | 3391 
      Reply #5: Aug 03, 2008 06:30:23 pm
      Me and me dad always have scraps about the offside rule.

Me dad's solution is simple, scrap the offside rule all together. It means there's no more goals bein ruled out when they were perfectly good and it means defenders have to defend. (i don't like that solution but I can see what he means)

As for our appealin, it does seem to be happenin a bit much recently. There's been a few occasions where we've been left standin wavin like a fairy. Last year we didn't move out as a unit and that's where the problem lies.
      lfcreds27
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 138 posts | -5 
      Reply #6: Aug 03, 2008 09:23:57 pm

Me dad's solution is simple, scrap the offside rule all together. It means there's no more goals bein ruled out when they were perfectly good and it means defenders have to defend. (I don't like that solution but I can see what he means)

How exciting would that be. certainly a lot more goals and no real need for technology apart from maybe goaline stuff.

On the appealing i agree that you should always play to the whistle but anyone plays football will know its not always possible, especially in the heat of the moment and if you are certain it is offside.

To some degree it also shows the opposition our confidence in our back line, it might not always work but more often than not it does.

The set piece defending does need sorting though.
      Mr Topsy Turvey
      • Forum David Johnson

• 226 posts |
      Reply #7: Aug 03, 2008 09:32:52 pm
      Me dad's solution is simple, scrap the offside rule all together. It means there's no more goals bein ruled out when they were perfectly good and it means defenders have to defend. (I don't like that solution but I can see what he means)
      Then there would be no need for such things as "The Old Trafford offside rule" I am disappointed in your dad
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,686 posts | 6981 
      Reply #8: Aug 03, 2008 10:16:13 pm
      History lesson...

In the early 1800's football initially had an offside rule similar to rugby in that all the team had to be 'behind' the ball.

And in 'Sheffield rules' there was no offside.

In official rules there were 3 players who had to be behind the ball, but this changed to the present 2 players in 1925/26.

That season the change resulted in around 40% more goals being scored than under the old '3 player' rule.

What was the question again?  ;)
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #9: Aug 04, 2008 01:18:36 am
      ::) i still like offside idea were a team has 3 appeals such as in tennis if a goal is scored and its beleived to be offside, the team appeals, if its offside they keep there appeal, if not they loose it, it takes 2 seconds to check aswell and the time would be used up by replays and celebrations anyway so it doesnt interfere with the game....

This in turn would mean carra would have no reason to appeal he can publically humiliate the linesman if the foward dare score from a clear offside postion (carra is always right when he appeals ;))
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #10: Aug 04, 2008 02:08:11 am
      No challenges. Who likes stoppages every second? Teams like Chelsea and Scum would have their matches extended by 30 minutes minimum because of them challenging.

Linesmen are their for a reason and human errors are bound to occur. The sport should just deal with it like every other sport instead of trying to perfect everything. That makes the game.
      browser
      • Forum Youth Player

• 17 posts |
      Reply #11: Aug 04, 2008 09:07:02 am
      The offside rule is all over the place
      Mr Topsy Turvey
      • Forum David Johnson

• 226 posts |
      Reply #12: Aug 04, 2008 09:08:39 am
      No challenges. Who likes stoppages every second? Teams like Chelsea and Scum would have their matches extended by 30 minutes minimum because of them challenging.
      And because if they are a goal down, then the referee has to wait for them to score, then blow the final whistle

Quick Reply