Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Rafa Tactics & Comments: Boot Camp or Morale Killer

Read 962 times
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Rafa Tactics & Comments: Boot Camp or Morale Killer
      Nov 18, 2008 05:37:49 pm
      http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/8808...Keane---Benitez

No problem with Keane - Benitez
      by RivalsDM

Updated: November 18, 2008, 6:58 AM EST

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez insists he had no problem with striker Robbie Keane showing his disappointment at being substituted at Bolton.

Keane had missed a two-yard sitter and was eventually replaced by Fernando Torres with half an hour remaining, with the Irishman clearly frustrated.

Benitez said: "A player has to be disappointed at coming off, that is what I want to see. The response always has to be that you work even harder for the next game.

"It has to be like that in a winning team, you have to compete for the positions and that is a positive thing. Robbie knows the team will always be the important thing so I don't need to speak to him about it (being substituted)."
      ________________________ ________________________ ____________

Does Rafa Benitez take subliminal piss on his players?.

Is he unnecessarily hard on some players and turns a blind eye when it concerns others?

The Jermaine Pennant situation is one of the cases in point; Was Pennant's situation managed properly? I.e concerning his work ethics, lifestyle and his game?

Does the interview above do Keane's morale any good? When Gerrard or Torres gets taken off, its because they need some medical attention or some protection and preservation.

Last week he told Torres that he is not guaranteed a spot in the team, that he has to also fight for his place. All well and good, but the lad had been sidelined with injury twice this season alone. Torres had hit cool form against Everton (I Think) and Man City (I Think).

My question is this, Could Rafa Benitez handle the players in such a manner that they are not demoralized as a result of the sharp comments that sound more like put-downs?

albertared
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 330 posts | 11 
      Re: Rafa Tactics & Comments: Boot Camp or Morale Killer
      Reply #1: Dec 04, 2008 12:46:27 am
      interesting question and one i have wondered about off and on almost ever since rafa arrived. if he has an obvious weakness then i would think handling the players' egos is probably it. the tough ones like gerrard and torres thrive but i think the weaker or less confident ones get destroyed over time.

and i think rafa looks for players that can stand up to it but that does mean we may not be able to buy certain players because of it. plus, in any case, he can't be certain how a player will react until he is put to the test.

i think robbie keane is getting very close to make-or-break time....either he gets it together or he cracks...in which case we may have to sell-on yet another failed striker...which would be a horrible thing to contemplate...how many more times can he go to that particular well?

Quick Reply