Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

The Robbie (His name ISN'T Keano) Keane thread

Read 108809 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Re: The Robbie (His name ISN'T Keano) Keane thread
      Reply #1196: Feb 02, 2009 02:48:05 pm
      Keane's problem is that throughout his career IMO he is used to being the big man at the club.

I think he was just overwhelmed by the pressure at Anfield and it stifled him.  Despite some peoples thoughts, I honestly think Benitez bent over backwards to try and accomodate him - at some stages tearing up his preferred formation to fit Keane in when Torres was available, but towards the end his performances got worse and worse in a red shirt.

In fact, towards the end he wasn't even attempting a shot on goal.  He didn't have any pace, he didn't seem to be able to go past anybody and he couldn't hold the ball up against strong defenders.

I think the performance against Everton was the final straw for Benitez and certainly whilst I was watching him during that game he looked totally out of his depth.

I'm sure if he goes to Spurs he will grab them some goals, but for Liverpool he just didn't fit.  I expect the number 7 shirt to now be left vacant until somebody 'earns it'.
      fins
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts |
      Reply #1197: Feb 02, 2009 02:50:41 pm
      I disgree, I think he has done a fantastic job when given the money to buy the players he wants (devil's advocate?). Sure a few flops but no money was lost and usually those flops sold for profit.

Shrewd marketeer is Rafa, I think whoever he chooses to buy for next season will be a hit.
      Maybe so.. but this time his next signing will be scrutinised by the board to the nth degree. some of them want him out and this may be the catalyst..
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #1198: Feb 02, 2009 02:54:46 pm
      Maybe so.. but this time his next signing will be scrutinised by the board to the nth degree. some of them want him out and this may be the catalyst..

If they gave Rafa the financial backing that Fergie, Wenger or Scolari have, there'd be no need to scrutinise. With the limited funds we have, Rafa's done a brilliant job bringing in bargain players, for example Riera.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #1199: Feb 02, 2009 02:54:51 pm
      Whether or not Benitez wanted Keane or not (I suspect he was probably on a list of names Benitez suggested to Parry) you have to give Benitez credit for deciding quickly when a player isn't going to work out or not.

He's bought players before and quickly got shut.  In many cases he has sold players on for a profit.  He's already sussed out that Dossena has some major issues, hence the reason he has fell back behind Fabio and Insua in the pecking order - and I'm sure if a decent offer had come in for him he would have been off.

Looking back at Houllier's reign one of his biggest problems was never admitting to a transfer mistake and that ended up costing him his job.  We also never got back a decent fee for players we discarded.

Every manager will make mistakes in the transfer market - it has always happened at Liverpool. Always.

The sign of a strong character is being able to admit to those mistakes and take a knock to your own pride for the sake of the football club.
      fins
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts |
      Reply #1200: Feb 02, 2009 02:55:50 pm
      Keane's problem is that throughout his career IMO he is used to being the big man at the club.

I think he was just overwhelmed by the pressure at Anfield and it stifled him.  Despite some peoples thoughts, I honestly think Benitez bent over backwards to try and accomodate him - at some stages tearing up his preferred formation to fit Keane in when Torres was available, but towards the end his performances got worse and worse in a red shirt.

In fact, towards the end he wasn't even attempting a shot on goal.  He didn't have any pace, he didn't seem to be able to go past anybody and he couldn't hold the ball up against strong defenders.

I think the performance against Everton was the final straw for Benitez and certainly whilst I was watching him during that game he looked totally out of his depth.

I'm sure if he goes to Spurs he will grab them some goals, but for Liverpool he just didn't fit.  I expect the number 7 shirt to now be left vacant until somebody 'earns it'.

He was'nt the only one against Everton. I remember saying how bad torres was that night.
      I completley disagree with you about his treatment.
      He should have been given more full games. If Rafa looks into his heart of hearts I think he would admit he could have done more. Fact is he did'nt want him.
      fins
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts |
      Reply #1201: Feb 02, 2009 02:58:23 pm
      Whether or not Benitez wanted Keane or not (I suspect he was probably on a list of names Benitez suggested to Parry) you have to give Benitez credit for deciding quickly when a player isn't going to work out or not.

He's bought players before and quickly got shut.  In many cases he has sold players on for a profit.  He's already sussed out that Dossena has some major issues, hence the reason he has fell back behind Fabio and Insua in the pecking order - and I'm sure if a decent offer had come in for him he would have been off.

Looking back at Houllier's reign one of his biggest problems was never admitting to a transfer mistake and that ended up costing him his job.  We also never got back a decent fee for players we discarded.

Every manager will make mistakes in the transfer market - it has always happened at Liverpool. Always.

The sign of a strong character is being able to admit to those mistakes and take a knock to your own pride for the sake of the football club.
      He has'nt been so quick with Babel, lucas, dossena, Ngog, and others. Thats what bugs me.. Don't get me wrong I ain't calling for the man's head or anything, just trying to be subjective
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #1202: Feb 02, 2009 02:59:55 pm
      He was'nt the only one against Everton. I remember saying how bad torres was that night.

Bearing in mind Torres had just come back from injury I distinctly remember everyone at Anfield off their seats on a couple of occassions when Torres skinned about 3 or 4 Everton players and he was unlucky not to get a goal that night.

But clearly some people think Keane didn't get enough chances.  He's 9th in terms of playing time out of the Liverpool players - having played around as much as Albert Riera and Mascherano this season.  I've seen very little in those 20 hours in terms of touch, movement or pace to suggest he is capable of playing for a team challenging for a title.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #1203: Feb 02, 2009 03:02:26 pm
      He has'nt been so quick with Babel, lucas, dossena, Ngog, and others. Thats what bugs me.. Don't get me wrong I ain't calling for the man's head or anything, just trying to be subjective

You're not being subjective.  You're being a wind-up.

N'gog is a youth player.

I'm sure if an offer had come in for Dossena he would have gone.

Babel and Lucas - maybe nobody has offered us anything for them?

Fact is Spurs have made an offer for Keane.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #1204: Feb 02, 2009 03:02:52 pm
      The thing with Babel is, last season, he showed us what he could do, he could score and had great pace and played well in almost all of his games. This season, he hasn't been as good, but Rafa knows how good he can be.
      Lucas has showed brilliance in a few games  this season, picking out the killer ball and generally playing the Xabi Role very well.
      Dossena.. I agree.
      N'Gog is still young, and has showed that he is a perfectly adept finisher in the pre-season and against PSV. One for the future, really.

I ain't calling for the man's head or anything

Makes  nice change from a few days ago, then.
      fins
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts |
      Reply #1205: Feb 02, 2009 03:05:07 pm

But clearly some people think Keane didn't get enough chances.  He's 9th in terms of playing time out of the Liverpool players - having played around as much as Albert Riera and Mascherano this season.  I've seen very little in those 20 hours in terms of touch, movement or pace to suggest he is capable of playing for a team challenging for a title.

I don;t think the time on the pitch has much to do with it really. for instance Keane was put on with 6 mins left last week, to do what? all the other creative players were gone. Surely he could'nt be expected to do anything in those circumstances.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #1206: Feb 02, 2009 03:05:49 pm
      I don;t think the time on the pitch has much to do with it really. for instance Keane was put on with 6 mins left last week, to do what? all the other creative players were gone. Surely he could'nt be expected to do anything in those circumstances.

What about the 24 times when he's had a decent amount of time to get going?
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #1207: Feb 02, 2009 03:06:04 pm
      I don;t think the time on the pitch has much to do with it really.

::)

I give up.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #1208: Feb 02, 2009 03:06:16 pm
      Where has all the love gone!!!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8685 
      Reply #1209: Feb 02, 2009 03:06:50 pm
      A bit like keane in the penalty box ;)
      fins
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts |
      Reply #1210: Feb 02, 2009 03:07:05 pm
      You're not being subjective.  You're being a wind-up.

N'gog is a youth player.

I'm sure if an offer had come in for Dossena he would have gone.

Babel and Lucas - maybe nobody has offered us anything for them?

Fact is Spurs have made an offer for Keane.
      Sorry but i'm not out to wind anyone up. just expressingmy opinion, and did'nt think i was doing it in such a way as to wind anyone up. Not intentional
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #1211: Feb 02, 2009 03:13:43 pm
      If you don't enjoy being proved wrong do not read the following

if rafa is such a ruthless c**t then why doesnt that dickhead be as ruthless with sh*te like dat dick DOSSENA!!

Keane has played more games than Dossena this season.

Yet he stifles a good proven premier league goal scorer, he basically is f**king up robbie keane and keane should leave for his own benefit!

How it's Rafa's fault Keane isn't playing well I don't know. Also like I said, Keane would be no were near as impressive on paper if you took away the penalties he scored last season. Which is whats happened this season

Rafa will be sacked in the summer so I guess he is trying to use the sale of keane to get one over on that gimp parry!

Rafa may not have wanted to buy Keane, maybe it was Parrys decision. But the sale would be due to the fact that Voronin was just as good as Keane.... not some personal vendetta

I am ashamed of the way we treated keane as much in human terms as professional terms. its another stain on our club.

I would do the same if a 20mill player plays like a 20quid player. And you are a stain on our club! Now I've never said this to anyone on this forum..... but please please please.... gtfo your not welcome... at least not in my books

EDIT: >_< you could have said you banned him JD all that for nothing ::)

Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #1212: Feb 02, 2009 03:14:03 pm

Then what does? How long he spends in the shower?

What a ridiculous statement.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #1213: Feb 02, 2009 03:17:36 pm

To say Rafa  did not give Robbie enough chances .one has to be a non Liverpool follower or is saying this just for the sake of critisizing  Rafa

I don't want to comment on keans's performances , maybe he needs more time. or maybe he does not fit well in Rafa's style
      It does not matter who wanted  and  brought him to Liverpool,, Robbie did not come a bad player overnight, since he joined the reds

IMHO If we are not replacing him in these last hours than I would keep him till the end of the season, BUT on the other hand if rafa thinks its better for Keane and Liverpool that they part than so be it ..In Rafa we Trust and all reds fans should feel that
      fins
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 396 posts |
      Reply #1214: Feb 02, 2009 03:21:34 pm
      Then what does? How long he spends in the shower?

What a ridiculous statement.

Look Keane has'nt been good enough..FACT. I know this.
      Rafa however could have dealt with the situation a whole lot better in my eyes.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1215: Feb 02, 2009 03:23:04 pm

Apparently Steven made his name for shining a mean shoe.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #1216: Feb 02, 2009 03:26:04 pm
      Apparently Steven made his name for shining a mean shoe.

And then kicking a ball from all of 30 yard into the net with it.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1217: Feb 02, 2009 03:27:07 pm
      And then kicking a ball from all of 30 yard into the net with it.

You lie. Thats not how we do it here.
      jckopking
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 539 posts | 10 
      Reply #1218: Feb 02, 2009 03:30:09 pm
      In Rafa we trust?

If we all put our hands on our hearts and were asked do you trust Rafa Benitez, there wouldn't be many saying yes we do. Come on be honest XABI !

You just don't know what you are gonna get with Rafa and our results to an extent say so.

To say Rafa  did not give Robbie enough chances .one has to be a non Liverpool follower or is saying this just for the sake of critisizing  Rafa

I don't want to comment on keans's performances , maybe he needs more time. or maybe he does not fit well in Rafa's style
      It does not matter who wanted  and  brought him to Liverpool,, Robbie did not come a bad player overnight, since he joined the reds

IMHO If we are not replacing him in these last hours than I would keep him till the end of the season, BUT on the other hand if rafa thinks its better for Keane and Liverpool that they part than so be it ..In Rafa we Trust and all reds fans should feel that

Quick Reply