Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

spurs squad

Read 5978 times
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,224 posts | 3394 
      spurs squad
      Jul 28, 2008 07:16:22 pm
      On our signin of Robbie Keane, the Spurs squad is startin to look thin.

Robinson (Blackburn)
      Gardner (Hull)
      Tanio and Chimbonda (Sunderland)
      Keane (Liverpool)
      Berbatov, Kaboul and Malbranque all looking likely to move.

Even with the big signings of Modric and Dos Santos, I think Spurs fans may be in for another disappointin season unless of course they go out and bring in some real quality up front because Darren Bent and Terry Dixon are unlikely to score 40 goals between them. In me predictions on here I've got them fourth, can't believe I did that now.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Re: spurs squad
      Reply #1: Jul 28, 2008 09:23:25 pm
      It's an interesting thought. At the end of the day, two players leaving Spurs (Keane and Berbatov) are likely to bring in £40m between them, at least. They're looking to buy with the money brought in so they'd better get their acts together. The season's only round the corner! :D
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #2: Jul 28, 2008 09:49:14 pm
      I like a funny thread like this! ;)

Been drowned in phones and sms from a couple of mates tonight, both spurs fans. Blaming me for taking the trim on the Tottenham squad a bit far! Can help it, must admit I'm laughing a bit :laugh:
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,224 posts | 3394 
      Reply #3: Jul 28, 2008 11:23:36 pm
      haha it's all your fault Watt. If Spurs fail then blame will lie with you. :P

Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #4: Jul 29, 2008 11:42:59 am
      haha it's all your fault Watt. If Spurs fail then blame will lie with you. :P

Hehe ;)

No problem, by the way ;)
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #5: Jul 29, 2008 09:52:13 pm
      Representatives of Spurs are in Russia now and look for the replacement of Keane. They have already made a bid (10 mil euro) for 'Spartak' striker Pavluchenko. But he is not satisfied with contract terms and wants to play for a team that are in CL. So Spurs are not. Then Tottenham turned their attention to CSKA striker Vagner Love (He's good too, I saw him score hat-trick in Russian PL). Also there is information Juande Ramos is going to Petersbourg to speak about Zenit striker Arshavin personally. Instead of Pavluchenko (if he finally said 'no' to Spurs), they can make a bid  (8 mil pound) for Diego Milito from 'Saragosa'.
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #6: Jul 29, 2008 10:01:20 pm
      So now the money from selling Keane will be used to buy one of those players(if only Spurs don't find some else besides those three)...
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #7: Jul 29, 2008 10:45:18 pm
      the rate spurs are getting rid of their 1st team players they will have to enter a 7 a-side league :D
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #8: Jul 30, 2008 12:05:56 am
      Also the rs always the sunday league.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #9: Jul 30, 2008 02:15:53 am
      There are a lot of rumors now that Spurs are going after Bentley with I assume is the cash we gave them for Keane. 
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #10: Jul 30, 2008 02:18:16 am
      There are a lot of rumors now that Spurs are going after Bentley with I assume is the cash we gave them for Keane. 

bentley is having a medical there in the morning

http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,7095.280.html   <<< it has a quote off the transfer clockwatch (last post)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #11: Jul 30, 2008 03:45:35 am
      I actually think they will do decent considering losing their best 2 strikers probably.

Modric, Dos Santos, Bentley on his way are just the first steps. I think they should go for Diego Milito. Pavlyuchenko is way to inconsistent and Milito will finish it 9/10 times, has good pace and good header.

They will have money to spend and Ramos will make good decisions for them, he is a wise manager. I wouldnt write them off yet.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,224 posts | 3394 
      Reply #12: Jul 30, 2008 03:05:25 pm
      They need to sort the defence out soon as well though.

King injury prone, Dawson hit and miss, Kaboul, Gardener, Chimbonda and Rocha all look like soddin off. I think they should look at the likes of Lescott, Steven Taylor or David Wheater.
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #13: Jul 31, 2008 12:55:48 pm
      Spurs are about Arshavin move. They agreed personal contract terms with a player and according to Arshavin words move will be complete in 5 days. Zenit want too much for him. Now Arshavin is waiting for ordinary working visa.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #14: Jul 31, 2008 12:57:50 pm
      And i think they have signed Bentley as well.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #15: Jul 31, 2008 04:34:36 pm
      So their starting XI would be?

----------------------Gomes--------------------
      Hutton------Woody----King----------Bale
      ------------------Huddlestone---------------
      Bentley--------Modric--------------Dos Santos
      -------------Bent----------??????---------------

(Under the assumption Berbatov is gone)

It's a decent line-up on paper though I think it will take a bit for time for their mid-field to gel together.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,224 posts | 3394 
      Reply #16: Jul 31, 2008 04:55:58 pm
      problem is, after that startin 11, it's pretty bland. Just to top things off Jenas has signed an extended contract, Spurs fans must be thinkin can it get any worse :lmao:

They've got a good lad in the rserves called Terry Dixon, he's only young but he may have to play if they sell Berbatov and don't get another forward in. Arshavin and some other Russian fella look most likely to join, but Spurs have been linked with a host of forwards in european football, Villa, Kanoute, Fabiano, Crouch (at one point) Ashton and Benzema. So maybe it's not gonna be so bad for Spurs. Ramos has made some good signings up to now.

Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #17: Jul 31, 2008 08:58:19 pm
      And I think they have signed Bentley as well.

Yes, they have. The move is completed.

Spurs are going to spend 40 m for Arshavin (from Zenit) or as he is called in Zenit "Shava" and Pavlyuchenko (from Spartak). Due to this they lost the interest in Milito.
      Spurs want Arshavin, Ramos wants Arshavin, Arshavin wants to Tottenham and only Zenit want a lot of money.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #18: Aug 01, 2008 04:44:35 pm
      Dixon is a great young lad, abit like Berba but no attitude. He isnt quick at all but good shot and header.

I think they'll start very positively but fall away a tad.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #19: Aug 04, 2008 12:54:29 am
      I think spurs have a squad full of quality players- i would even go as far as saying that they are one of the best in the league but what i will also say is that they dont work well with one another. It is an interesting season for them ahead.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #20: Aug 04, 2008 01:49:07 am
      last season was meant to be the one were the broke into the top 4 but they failed totally on the league, now they have got rid of alot of 1st team players and possibly more will go i think they will struggle again. they have got ome quality players but like semple said they dont work well together. I also get the feeling Dos Santos and Modric are going to be flops, they have alot of pressure on there shoulders which they are'nt used to, especially dos santos who is still very young
      LFCJAK
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 212 posts |
      Reply #21: Aug 04, 2008 02:18:57 am
      haha so they are like england the hav quality players but dont play together but d.bent looks to be on fore in pre season i think they will do good this season but not top 4 finish
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #22: Aug 05, 2008 09:11:28 pm
      Good article on Spurs from soccernet

Spurs left to plug goals gap

By Norman Hubbard

The cliché is that goals - and by extension, goalscorers - win games, not their suppliers. Tottenham seem intent on putting that long-established theory to the test this season. They may lose a 46-goal strike partnership this summer but Robbie Keane, sold to Liverpool, and Dimitar Berbatov, wanted by Manchester United, could not earn them a top-half finish in the Premier League last year. Exit the goal machines, it seems, and enter the inventors.

Luka Modric, Giovani dos Santos and David Bentley have already joined. If Tottenham, who have left their iconic No. 10 shirt free since Keane's departure, get their way, Andrei Arshavin will follow. There seemed a need for a high-class creator, but Juande Ramos has acquired a surfeit of them. Recruiting Russia's talisman would complete a quartet and highlight the issue of how could they operate together.

Having been so busy in the transfer market, Spurs also appeared to have moved the problem from one department of the team to another. Keane and Berbatov represented arguably the finest strike partnership in England, and certainly the only top-flight duo to both reach the 20-goal landmark in each of the last two campaigns. The midfield, in contrast, prompted much of Ramos' imaginative tinkering.

No central midfield duo could contain Didier Zokora's energy, Tom Huddlestone's distribution and Jermaine Jenas' attacking instincts. No quartet had the requisite blend of resilience and imagination. A revamp results in casualties. Aaron Lennon appeared a source of frustration to his manager, but it may be the winger left irritated; Bentley has supplanted him in the England squad and could replace him on the right flank at White Hart Lane.

Few things remain consistent. A year ago, Spurs possessed perhaps the most envied forward-line in England. Jermain Defoe was sold in January and should Berbatov follow Keane out, the sole survivor will be its least successful member, Darren Bent. While pre-season form is a notoriously unreliable guide, the £16.5million man may be a beneficiary of the sales. The nine goals he scored in a week, albeit against inferior opposition, still exceeds the eight he managed in competitive football last season. While there is talk of Diego Milito, Diego Forlan, Luis Garcia and the outstanding Roman Pavlyuchenko being recruited as Berbatov's replacement, it may be pertinent that Bent's finest form at Charlton came as a lone striker.

The assembly of such a sizeable creative contingent suggests Ramos will struggle to field two. There is talk of the attack-minded 4-3-3. There is a theory, too, that the Spaniard will opt for a 4-4-1-1 formation away from home to reinforce the midfield. Perhaps the likeliest scenario, however, is that he prefers 4-2-3-1, a system that could enable Modric to adopt a central role without forcing the Croatian playmaker into the trenches of the midfield battle. Allow him that more advanced role and discussions as to whether the slight midfielder could adapt to the physicality of the Premier League would be rendered redundant.

It would permit Bentley and the left-footed dos Santos to operate on either side of Modric. Add Arshavin and it is complicated further, however. That could be amended to 4-1-4-1, but then the defensive midfielder risks becoming overworked and as Jenas, who enjoys his forays forward, has been appointed vice-captain, it is safe to assume he plays a prominent role in his manager's plans too. Incorporate all and Ramos risks comparisons to Ossie Ardiles, whose attempts to field five forwards were entertaining but ultimately misguided.

Whatever the system, it certainly represents an ambitious blueprint. It is to Ramos' credit that - unlike in previous summers - he has recruited proven quality. Tottenham's fondness for quantity, sometimes at inflated prices, produced a bloated squad who, belatedly, have been given a dieting regime, aided by Roy Keane's fondness for signing much of their second-string side.

Real Madrid and Barcelona's reserve teams are permitted to compete in the lower leagues in Spain; Tottenham appear to have gone one better by entering theirs in the Premier League, cunningly disguised as Sunderland. With Steed Malbranque, Teemu Tainio and Pascal Chimbonda at the Stadium of Light, Paul Robinson joining Blackburn, Anthony Gardner loaned to Hull and Younes Kaboul on the verge of a move to Portsmouth, an intolerance of mediocrity is being established.

Nonetheless, there is a risk of a shortage of personnel in two key positions, in attack - where an injury to Bent would be problematic - and at centre-back, where Ledley King and Jonathan Woodgate are prone to lengthy absences. Both departments may have been neglected with the focus on midfield, but it may prove telling that pre-season has featured the versatile pair of Zokora and Huddlestone taking their turns in defence.

Moreover, such wholesale changes run the risk of forcing Tottenham into transition. Few clubs spend more seasons in that state, despite their annual commitment to spending. Yet with perhaps half a new team, reshaped and operating a different system with, presumably, an altered ethos to cater for the creators, Spurs need to adapt rapidly if, for once, they are to resemble the finished article.

And, of course, they have to remedy a shortfall of 46 goals. Each of Ramos' flair players should contribute. Dos Santos, whose deft finishing has been a feature of pre-season, is likely to adopt a position furthest up the pitch and is the main candidate to muster most, at least if Arshavin does not arrive.

Precociously skilful as the Mexican is, swift and penetrative as Modric's passing invariably is and expert as Bentley's crosses, corners and free kicks are, a highly-accomplished team should play some excellent football. Yet one question may remain: where are all the goals coming from?
      Mr Topsy Turvey
      • Forum David Johnson

• 226 posts |
      Reply #23: Aug 05, 2008 09:13:26 pm
      Thats a decent article, but I think it would be hilarious if, after all the money spent, it didn't work out for them :laugh:
      DOOLEY
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts | -5 
      Reply #24: Aug 05, 2008 09:23:08 pm
      we should have got tainio
      i only say this beceause im half finnish
      DOOLEY
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts | -5 
      Reply #25: Aug 05, 2008 09:24:11 pm
      jari litamen could have been a true finnish great
      ah well
      i guess it will only be sami hu is liverpools finnish representative
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #26: Aug 06, 2008 08:16:18 am
      Good article. Dont see them breaking into the top 4 this season or next but they are moving in the right direction now. I think their midfield would benefit from this:

Zokora      Huddlestone

Bentley                          Dos Santos           

Modric

Not really a 4-2-3-1 like what we had but a more cenral role for Dos Santos and Bentley. Zokora and Huddlestone are great midfielders for them and hold it together, should Modric, Bentley and Dos Santos hit their straps and thrive of the support of Sokora and Huddlestone, they will come 5th and close to pushing Scum out of the top 4 :P
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #27: Aug 06, 2008 03:36:26 pm
      Well with the team they have now I can see them 7th place.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #28: Aug 06, 2008 07:36:38 pm
      Well with the team they have now I can see them 7th place.

I think they will end up around 7th too. I don't think they will have a good first few games but get better as the season progresses.
      Out of interest, does anyone still wish we had signed Dos Santos?
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      Reply #29: Aug 06, 2008 08:54:25 pm
      Out of interest, does anyone still wish we had signed Dos Santos?

I don't think he will be nearly as good as people say he will be in the Premiership (I think he is better off in Spain or Italy) but I think you look at the price Spurs paid it was a low risk chance to take and if Liverpool would of taken it I wouldn't of mind.
      xchubbyx
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #30: Aug 26, 2008 05:12:16 pm
      i hate berbatov so much! and i hope that man utd refuse to buy him forcing him to stay at spurs and eat his words. I think he is arrogant and so far up himself he can't see the light of day!!!! he annoys me so much!!! :f_steam:

i'm loving the Keane, torres partnership always quite liked Keane so I'm glad he has joined us. ;D
      gunho
      • Forum Youth Player

• 9 posts |
      Reply #31: Aug 26, 2008 08:51:09 pm
      It isn't looking good for them, if Dimitar Berbatov leaves they only have one striker in their entire squad, bent, who lacks consistancy. Even if Berbatov stays he's gonna have a poor season and contribute few goals. I also see a lack of scouting for strikers (even rumours), Ashavin isn't gonna happen, he's basically a midfielder anyway.

Its crazy to think that last January, they had probably the best strike force in the country... Dimitar Berbatov, Keane, Defoe, Bent and Mido, yet they havnt got any replacements. There defence isnt great either, spending the bulk of their transfer money on midfielders...crazy.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #32: Aug 26, 2008 09:49:53 pm
      Spurs break the top 4 :lmao:
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,224 posts | 3394 
      Reply #33: Sep 22, 2008 12:15:16 am
      Poor old Spurs, still without a League win, by all accounts Ramos' job rests on the outcome of tomorrow's game against Newcastle. Chris Hughton against his old club, Gus Poyet against the side who want him as manager and Ramos fighting for his job, should be a hell of a game.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #34: Sep 22, 2008 01:52:04 pm
      They spend the money but still only have 2 points :D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,224 posts | 3394 
      Reply #35: Sep 28, 2008 06:24:04 pm
      Going down, going down, going down.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #36: Sep 28, 2008 07:14:26 pm
      Giving Spanish managers a bad name Juande!
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,224 posts | 3394 
      Reply #37: Oct 21, 2008 11:19:48 pm
      got to feel for them haven't you? I mean a side with not too many fit defenders anyway going and get two defenders suspended (bale and dawson) and just to top it off they've gone and concussed one of their own defenders (corluka). Really have to feel for Spurs don't you? Nah not in a million years, F***ing hate them and I'm loving every minute of them sitting bottom. One of those clubs I just can't stand.

Really looks like they could go down unless they bring back Martin Jol who did a great job with them before this director of football fella told him who to buy when he didn't want them. The likes of Bent and Boateng, Jol didn't want them but got told he had them. So when they had a slow start with players the manager didn't want, it was the manager who got sacked. Now Ramos was the new Bill Nicholson when he won the Carling Cup, well done Juande you've taken the club to their worst start EVER.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #38: Oct 22, 2008 12:09:14 am
      Aren't Bale and Dawson suspended for our game!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #39: Oct 22, 2008 12:52:49 am
      You just watch.

We haven't got a great record at White Hart Lane.

Expect them to beat us 2-0.

Well, in the first half anyway, until we run out 3-2 winners.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #40: Oct 22, 2008 01:51:32 am
      You just watch.

We haven't got a great record at White Hart Lane.

Expect them to beat us 2-0.

Well, in the first half anyway, until we run out 3-2 winners.

I've got a sneaking suspicion that they'll beat us you know! Just because their league form is so sh*t, they're bound to fluke a result against a decent team, fielding their kids and reserves in the cup!

Not that I'd be bothered about the league cup. Be gutted for our kids but it's one less distraction.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #41: Oct 22, 2008 03:10:18 am
      As long as we beat them in the league im happy. We need to have good goal differences
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #42: Oct 22, 2008 03:10:43 am
      I'm expecting us to give them a hiding in the league.

A few years ago I'd agree and say they would of beaten us, not now.

Fully expect us to beat them in the League Cup too!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #43: Oct 23, 2008 06:41:37 pm
      I'll lob this one in here seeing as it's about spurs.

Saw it on another website with an arsenal fan mocking a spurs fan

To the tune of American Pie

A long,Long time ago,
      I can still remember,
      How the Carling Cup win made them smile,
      And they knew this could be their chance,
      To finally make that big advance,
      And maybe, break the top 4 for a while.

But transfer windows made them shiver,
      As Robbie Keane went off to Liver.....
      Pool, and Berbs to Man U,
      You can't believe it can you?