Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Peter Crouch (Striker)

Read 68876 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Peter Crouch (Striker)
      Reply #115: Apr 03, 2007 11:19:35 pm
      The Big Man strikes again - 4 goals in 2 matches and no-one likes seeing him and the boys doing well more than me (Except you lot I guess!!)  ;)

Deadly in two matches back to back RED! I'm loving it! ;) Keep it coming Crouch!!!!
      Looks like he's been practising....
      gerrard8
      • Forum Ronny Rosenthal

• 100 posts |
      Reply #116: Apr 04, 2007 09:36:01 am
      hes a great player you only say he needs to improve but he doesn't get a chance i mean look at arsenal he scored a hat trick then look at PSV he scored 1 the man cant stop scorin the Rafa doesnt play him
      Paolo
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 134 posts |
      Reply #117: Apr 04, 2007 09:41:53 am
      last night he's been the right man at the right timeon the right pitch
      ivan
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #118: Apr 04, 2007 03:54:07 pm
      Hi guys

just been roaming the web & have come across this site on Spanish Footie

http://spanishfootballsports.blogspot.com

Its great

Ivan - !Go Reds
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #119: Apr 04, 2007 07:17:04 pm
      cheers Ivan an intresting link
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #120: Apr 04, 2007 08:52:02 pm
      Quote from: RED1028 on February 20, 2007, 00:15:56
      He may not be the be all and end all when it comes to strikers but you can't fault his effort or skill.
      Crouchy does his fair share both as a support striker (ie holding the ball up for other players to run on or laying off balls to team mates). Equally he has the ability to pull rabbits out of hats with classy strikes. His ball control and footwork is excellent for someone who's all arms and legs! I beleive he will become better if he stays at Liverpool, he is already a handful for most defences so, with improved heading and finishing he will be well worth his transfer fee.

A very exacting opinion from Paul Tomkins (LFC.tv):

Peter Crouch was perhaps Benítez's most controversial signing. Before he signed I admit I'd not paid him much attention, but I was quickly won over in pre-season, with his obvious ability on the ball. Having been singing his praises for nearly two years now, it's great to see others cottoning on.

Crouch, who only turned 26 fairly recently, is one of those players who will get better with age. His game has nothing to do with pace, but skill on the ball and getting into the right positions, both to score goals, but also to use his height effectively. Experience, and good tuition, will help, as it has done in the last two years.

Since breaking his duck for Liverpool and England less than 18 months ago he's plundered a phenomenal 41 goals, and that's without being an automatic first choice for either side, and without the free-kicks and penalties that other strikers use to boost their tallies. He's scored key goals at the World Cup and in European qualifiers for his country, and has notched six Champions League goals already this season for the Reds. Plus he's now scored against Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United, as well as in a Mersey derby.

There's still more to come from Crouch. But he's improving all the time, and remains the most unique striker in the league. He gives Rafa one of his famed 'possibilities' that no other can offer, and it's why I'd be very surprised if he's not at the club for a long time to come.

There's only 1 Peter Crouch... and we are very lucky he plays in a RED shirt for LIVERPOOL FC ;)

(And the fact I'm 6' 3" and support Liverpool with a passion and am jelous has nothing to do with my opinions of Crouch - honest! ... (the irony of his name!)  :D
      « Last Edit: Apr 04, 2007 09:03:10 pm by RED1028 »
      ONTHEWING
      • Forum Erik Meijer

• 36 posts |
      Reply #121: Jul 17, 2007 11:35:18 am
      Yey, my very first posting  :)  Hello to all you fellow REDS  :-*

Now that Rafa is building a huge pot of talent what do people think will happen to Crouch? Speculation points to a season of bench warming................. ..
      Venom-C
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts |
      Reply #122: Jul 18, 2007 08:13:25 am
      ^how did you post a new topic with only 4 posts?

Anyway, Crouch has been improving ever since he came. Many people still have their doubts because of that dry spell at the beginning of his red career. I reckon he will be used primarily as a substitute and getting a fair amount of starting games due to rafa's rotation policy. He is definitely a player who I don't want to see go (he was our top scorer).
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #123: Jul 18, 2007 09:19:17 am
      ^how did you post a new topic with only 4 posts?

Moved from the newbies board mate, not quite sure why.

This is exactly the sort of post I was talking about in the rotation thread I started. Some people seem to have forgotten the fact that Rafa likes to rotate, and barring injuries every senior member of the squad will get at least 25 games. Crouch will still get a good number of games & will have a role to play in the squad as there isn't another striker about like him at the moment.
      riise' boot boy
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 585 posts | 32 
      Reply #124: Jul 18, 2007 08:47:17 pm
      but if you were crouch would you be happy with 25 games? i no i wouldn't. think he'll feature quite a bit more than that myself
      EddieC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,557 posts | 233 
      Reply #125: Jul 19, 2007 10:21:03 am
      but if you were crouch would you be happy with 25 games? I no I wouldn't. think he'll feature quite a bit more than that myself

I also think Crouch will get more games than that, I was saying that every member of the senior squad will get at least that amount of games. It will probably be players like Hyypia that will be closer to that figure, Crouch will probably get about 40 games including sub appearances, depending on how well we do in the cups.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #126: Jul 19, 2007 09:20:56 pm
      If Torres starts grabbing the goals I see the opportunities for Crouch as severely limited.  I don't think Torres and Crouch are a partnership.  For me it will be:

Torres or Crouch

with

Voronin or Kuyt.

When we signed Voronin I would have expected him to have been our 'fourth' striker. Now I know it's only early days but I don't think it will work out that way.  Crouch is a saleable asset for Liverpool.  With the return of Owen he will no doubt get edged out of the England line up and not playing enough games for the reds may add to his frustration.

I think we could see some speculation over him in the January transfer window - but I don't think the reds will consider (or need) to sell him.
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #127: Jul 19, 2007 09:58:03 pm
      Crouch stays. He worked fine with Voronin i think. Torres disappointed me. But, as JD said, its early.
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #128: Jul 20, 2007 01:20:26 am
      Speculation points to a season of bench warming................. ..
      Speculation: Formulate theory or conjecture without firm evidence

Who's speculation and why? Because Veronin, another potential bench warmer, has signed and is apparently not good enough in some people's minds! Two in two.
      Or because Babel has signed and can score goals but is predominately a left winger?
      Or because Torres has signed and his reputation suggests he will score heaps of goals although he has not yet played in and adapted to English top flight football? Crouch has.

No speculation just firm evidence...

Anyway, Crouch has been improving ever since he came.
      A positive point. And one that is worth keeping in mind.
      I reckon he will be used primarily as a substitute and getting a fair amount of starting games due to Rafa's rotation policy.  ???
      Crouchy can unlock a defense with a flick of his never ending legs and hopefully he will score more with his head this season too. I would prefer to see him start more games than he makes cameo appearances as a sub. That said, rotation is the trend these days with bigger squads and when we're pushing for the title and 3 cups it is inevitable he, along with the other strikers, will even sit out a few games.

He is definitely a player who I don't want to see go (he was our top scorer).
      We can't and simply musn't sell Crouch, I will support Total Network Soloutions if we do!  :'(

If Torres starts grabbing the goals I see the opportunities for Crouch as severely limited.

Why? Torres can bang in goals left, right and centre but who other than Peter Crouch has a decent goal tally at Liverpool of late. His form will obviously (but not definatley) take a dip if he's not playing but he has the ability to "pull rabbits out of hats" so while Torres may score plenty of goals Crouchy can nick a vital point or 3 with a moment of magic too, or vice versa. Strikers are only as good as the amount of goals they score so it's swings and roundabouts I'm afraid!

I don't think Torres and Crouch are a partnership.
      Different styles and abilities but not a tried and tested formula yet, we'll have to wait and see!

Crouch is a saleable asset for Liverpool.
      True, but who would we want to sell him to and why? If he keeps his form, as I expect he will, it would be like playing Russian Roulette - Sell one of the best and unique strikers in the country and watch him rack up some goals against you and replace him with who? I would keep Crouchy at all costs, on form he's priceless.

I think we could see some speculation over him in the January transfer window - but I don't think the reds will consider (or need) to sell him.
      You might be right but in football everybody is under scrutiny from Owners, Boardroom / Shareholders and Management through to Players and even Ticket Sales staff (re: Athens!)

Quote from: RED1028 on February 20, 2007, 00:15:56

He may not be the be all and end all when it comes to strikers but you can't fault his effort or skill.
      Crouchy does his fair share both as a support striker (ie holding the ball up for other players to run on or laying off balls to team mates). Equally he has the ability to pull rabbits out of hats with classy strikes. His ball control and footwork is excellent for someone who's all arms and legs! I believe he will become better if he stays at Liverpool, he is already a handful for most defenses so, with improved heading and finishing he will be well worth his transfer fee.

A very exacting opinion from Paul Tomkins (LFC.tv):

Peter Crouch was perhaps Benítez's most controversial signing. Before he signed I admit I'd not paid him much attention, but I was quickly won over in pre-season, with his obvious ability on the ball. Having been singing his praises for nearly two years now, it's great to see others cottoning on.

Crouch, who only turned 26 fairly recently, is one of those players who will get better with age. His game has nothing to do with pace, but skill on the ball and getting into the right positions, both to score goals, but also to use his height effectively. Experience, and good tuition, will help, as it has done in the last two years.

Since breaking his duck for Liverpool and England less than 18 months ago he's plundered a phenomenal 41 goals, and that's without being an automatic first choice for either side, and without the free-kicks and penalties that other strikers use to boost their tallies. He's scored key goals at the World Cup and in European qualifiers for his country, and has notched six Champions League goals already this season for the Reds. Plus he's now scored against Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United, as well as in a Mersey derby.

There's still more to come from Crouch. But he's improving all the time, and remains the most unique striker in the league. He gives Rafa one of his famed 'possibilities' that no other can offer, and it's why I'd be very surprised if he's not at the club for a long time to come.

There's only 1 Peter Crouch... and we are very lucky he plays in a RED shirt for LIVERPOOL FC ;)

(And the fact I'm 6' 3" and support Liverpool with a passion and am jealous has nothing to do with my opinions of Crouch - honest! ... (the irony of his name!)  :D

Plain and simple, Peter Crouch was never bought to be a 20 goal a season striker. He was bought as a player who can hold the ball up & bring others into play, which personally I feel he does better than anyone else in the premiership. This isn't the type of player we need in every match, but it is a player we need in our squad. Until we can find someone who can do that job better than him he has to stay. Being the type of player he is, he shouldn't be expected to score that many, more to be setting his team mates up. However take a look at his ratio, 0.42 goals per game. This is the best ratio at the club this season, and whilst not good enough for an out & out striker, that is f#cking prolific for a hold up man. A lot of people unfortunately will never get their head round the fact that he doesn't look like a footballer, and no matter what he does he won't convince these people. All I'll say is just keep on knocking him, cos every time you do he answers you back in style.

We will only ever have one Peter Crouch (for all his arms and legs - and vision, skill and goals) and until the day arrives that he can't hit a barn door with a banjo be grateful for what he does in a RED shirt.
      (He bangs his fist on table then storms out of room!)  ;) :D

PepeReina25
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,400 posts |
      Reply #129: Jul 21, 2007 01:04:46 pm
      I realy like crouch but he wont start many games. (if he cudnt start ovr bellers he wont start over torres) and i get the feeling he will leave nex season
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #130: Jul 21, 2007 01:42:37 pm
      I’d keep Crouch for at least another season or two…At the end of next season, I’d be looking at moving Babel permanently to striker, and starting him along with Torres. I’d sell one of Kuyt, voronin or Crouch then, if Babel and Torres both score goals consistently.
      Watt
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 884 posts | 22 
      Reply #131: Jul 22, 2007 01:50:03 pm
      How can you plan years ahead, when these guys havent played a whole match for us yet...
      None of them have impressed me.. so far. Except Voronin. The one I didnt have a single expectation for.
      But I guess now that we have wow! Torres!! and wow! Babel!! we no longer have use for our old rubbish.

I would be careful. Lets see how they adapt first. Its been bought "fantastic" players before, who never was fantastic for us..
      Euro5
      • Forum Avi Cohen

• 24 posts |
      • Come On You RED MEN
      Reply #132: Jul 23, 2007 02:36:36 pm
      respect to that tribute to crouch he truly is a massive threat and should never depart lfc if only to go to a foriegn club as i could not watch him take lfc apart if he joined a premiere team.
      Boot
      • Forum Ian St John

• 438 posts |
      Reply #133: Aug 14, 2007 10:50:53 am
      It is reported AGAIN that Peter Crouch met with Rafa to discuss why he wasn't in the squad against Aston Villa.  How many times are we going to hear this, does he not understand that Rafa rotates.

I know this is only speculation, but if he keeps asking the question I can see him getting the golden handshake if he doesn't shut up.

U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #134: Aug 14, 2007 11:24:21 am
      Well, in my ideal world....we sell Crouch, and use the funds to purchase Klaas Jan Huntelaar, my favourite striker in the world....and a true goal poacher.
      Wellzy
      • Forum John Barnes

• 422 posts |
      • Sports Journalist
      Reply #135: Aug 14, 2007 12:20:25 pm
      Borat, You don't seem to have faith in our strikers at all do you?
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #136: Aug 14, 2007 12:23:51 pm
      I have to agree that to unload Crouchie would be a big mistake. He scores goals! that's what he's paid for, that's what he does. Voronin looks o.k. he's scored when he had the chances, Kuyt looks great, very determined and runs his socks off but doesn't score too regularly and does miss a few chances. Mabey not proven in the prem yet, hope he improves but who knows ? Torres, looks good also, needs time to adapt, could be the player who links it all together for us, again, who knows ? Babel? not many defenders will want to play against him due to his pace and control but again is yet unproven in the prem. We could have the Dutch and Spanish versions of Emile Heskey in Kuyt and Torres, it remains to be seen. I sincerely hope not, I am as enthusiastic as anyone for this season after our spending spree and am confident we can rise to the next level but all things considered we can't possibly part with Crouchie under any circumstances, he brings something different to the game which most defences find hard to cope with. Even ours when he was with the Saints, Short memories everyone ?
      U-Borat
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 398 posts | -38 
      Reply #137: Aug 14, 2007 12:43:50 pm
      Borat, You don't seem to have faith in our strikers at all do you?

No I don't.
      Our biggest problem last year was our terrible finishing. We took the 2nd most shots in the league IIRC and finished mid-table in terms of goals...
      Torres isn't a goal scorer either.
      He's got a career .4 goals/game average, including penalties for his team as well. He is a fantastic holding striker, and has the flair, skill, strength and skill to bag 10-15 league goals/year.
      Despite what Rafa says, I still think we need a proven goal poacher in the Rush/Fowler mode, 20+goals in the league/year.
      Kuyt seemingly just lost all of his shooting abilities as soon as he came to liverpool....and Crouch is another holding striker.

Quick Reply