Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 2nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W7 D5 L11

Standard Liege v Liverpool

Read 34776 times
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Standard Liege v Liverpool
      Reply #322: Aug 13, 2008 11:14:09 pm
      Norwegian refs once again being a disgrace in europe.

pretty much all refs are a disgrace in europe
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,657 posts | 6951 
      Reply #323: Aug 13, 2008 11:14:29 pm
      No question Pepe was man of the match.

I posted his post match interview in the match report
      http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/match-reports/champions-league/2008/standard-liege-0-0-liverpool-reds-held/

Our biggest problem tonight, and I hate harping on about it, but the lack of width is worrying.  Kuyt is no right winger and we missed Babel.  Even Riise or Kewell could have done a job on that left wing.

Keane looked lively but he just didn't see enough of the ball.

Fingers crossed it was our traditional slow start and we will be back to speed by the weekend.

(Also hope Holland, Brazil and Argentina all get knocked out soon in the Olympics).
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #324: Aug 13, 2008 11:20:37 pm

It's good to hear a player come out and say the performance wasn't good enough. Sometimes it's easy to blame pre season, tiredness etc. It's good to know that the players feel they didn't do enough and know they need to improve for the next leg.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,297 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #325: Aug 13, 2008 11:33:39 pm
      No it wasnt a good enough performance but the year we won It we snook home over Sturm Graz and last year weren't too convicing against haifa and I would by name alone rate Liege over both of them. As my brother said after the game its like our typical slow start. We all know we need natrual width so I was delighted that Rafa threw on El Zahr at least he realised he needed width.

Funny, tonight was fairly sh*te but I believe that we are in for a good season. Nando only warming up, Keane finding his feet, Stevie working his way to fitness and Masch to comeback and maybe a sneaky signing before August 31st. I wont lose much sleep tonight  ;) 
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,280 posts | 4938 
      Reply #326: Aug 13, 2008 11:38:01 pm
      No it wasnt a good enough performance but the year we won I we snook home over Sturm Graz

I was thinking about that while watching the game Brian. I am really disappointed after tonight but I know we will not play as bad again for a long time. It's better to play like this against Liege than against the likes of United or Chelsea who are coming up in the not too distant future.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #327: Aug 13, 2008 11:40:32 pm
      Norwegian refs once again being a disgrace in europe.

He didn't have the best game, poor penalty call and the linesman calling Yossi offside when he was clearly onside but he reacted with the defender threw his hand up in the air. But can't make the ref the scapegoat in this.

It was also good to hear Rafa say we played poor and highlighted the many things we were talking about. Sometimes he is a bit too positive when it comes to these types of games but I hope he gets the boys into shape for Saturday when the real games happen.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,297 posts | 2841 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #328: Aug 13, 2008 11:42:09 pm
      As well as that if we won 6 nil tonight all the clowns be out saying were going to win everything this year which we dont need being said about us!!
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #329: Aug 13, 2008 11:43:55 pm
      As well as that if we won 6 nil tonight all the clowns be out saying were going to win everything this year which we dont need being said about us!!

Or people would be saying "it is only some crap club from Belgium". Really these UCL qualifiers are a no win situation for the bigger clubs but everything to lose. You just have to get on with it and move to the group stage.
      JebLfc
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #330: Aug 13, 2008 11:55:35 pm
      The performance was poor, but as you say we have struggled in the Qualifying stage in previous seasons. I think after we have got a couple of games under our belt in the League we will find it a lot easier to perform in front of the Anfield crowd and we will find it a lot easier  in a couple of weeks time.
      maxextz
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts | -13 
      • Id like To dip my cookies in your tears.
      Reply #331: Aug 14, 2008 12:41:10 am
      think back to how crap we were against Marsllie at anfield last season all doom and gloom we went to there place and played them off the park with one of the best displays of the season, we can do this lot aswell, we can be terrible and fantastic and still get the right result.
      im really impressed with this plessies lad only 19 i thought he was great to night for such a young lad bright future ahead for sure.
      after a few games we will be back to normal service you can be sure ;D.   
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #332: Aug 14, 2008 01:00:43 am
      No width but most worrying was the lack of quality in the middle we seemed to have two gaping holes one between midfield and forwards and another in defense to the midfield and the Belgium's took full advantage thank god for Benny & Xabi although the latter I think still needs to regain full fitness. Dorena must do better and lets hope it's a blip otherwise we need Finnan to be brought back. We were lucky tonight against a good team but let's not give them the time at anfeild and we shall see how they cope and maybe there will be some payback for their players who kept going over the top and leaving there mark with the arm and foot....
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #333: Aug 14, 2008 01:02:11 am
      how come there were no champions league badges on the sleeves?
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,039 posts | 3352 
      Reply #334: Aug 14, 2008 01:09:29 am
      this was me mates take on it (if you're arsed)

Liverpool’s quest for a sixth success in the European Cup started with a tricky away tie to Belgian champions Standard Liege. The first leg was played in Belgium at Le Rouges’ home ground Maurice Dufrasne tonight. It was our first competitive game of the season and we handed out debuts to our two biggest signings of the summer, eight million pound left back Andrea Dossena and our twenty million pound superstar Robbie Keane. We were without Lucas, Babel and Mascherano who are all at the Olympics and our skipper Steven Gerrard was the most noticeable absentee from the starting XI due to a thigh strain he’d picked up in pre-season, our number 8 was amongst the substitutes though.

The game started at a quick pace with the Standard Liege fans being very noisy from the word go. The home side didn’t let us settle into any sort of rhythm. We were pressured all over the pitch and within the first ten minutes we were in trouble. Alvaro Arbeloa gave away a needless free kick on the right wing, the resulting free kick showed up again the problems of our zonal marking. Thankfully the Standard Liege player missed the ball completely with his head and it bounced off his shoulder onto the post but just before it crossed the line Pepe Reina was able to claw it back. The danger hadn’t been removed but a wasted cross led to Xabi Alonso clearing the ball to Kuyt.

The early pressure continued and only a matter of minutes later the Norwegian official had given a very generous penalty for handball by Dossena. Replays later proved that Dossena was a good foot outside the box but a penalty was the decision. Justice was done as Reina made his second crucial save of the night. The first fifteen minutes was Standard attacking, Liverpool defending and heavily relying on our Spanish keeper Reina to keep us in the match.

Although the rest of the half wasn’t filled with many more clear cut chances, Standard didn’t drop their intensity and kept pressurising Liverpool in every department of the game. They forced us to keep going long to Keane and Torres without much joy and they were running us raggered in the middle of the park resulting in Xabi Alonso picking up a booking just before the half hour mark.

The second half started much the same way, Liverpool’s defence throwing aimless balls up towards Torres and Keane who were starved of any real quality all night. They were chasing lost causes with no support from the rest of the side. Keane was substituted just after the hour for our skipper Steven Gerrard. Although the doctors said it’d be better if Gerrard didn’t play, Rafa had little choice but using his trump card because of how badly we were playing at the time.

Gerrard was be thrown the armband from the stand in skipper Jamie Carragher, but his first real involvement was a corner from the left which he put long trying to find Kuyt. The corner resulted to nothing but another corner from the right. Gerrard started to try and pull the strings from just behind Torres and had a couple of close shaves with free kicks but there was still no penetrating attacking play from Liverpool.

The home side had another chance themselves when a long ball cut our open our defence again but again Reina kept us in the game with another good save.

The match frizzled out to a goalless draw although it wasn’t all bad as Nabil El Zhar was given his Champions League debut towards the latter stages of the match when he replaced Dirk Kuyt who was really poor throughout the match. French central midfielder Damien Plessis was also handed his Champions League debut tonight when he was chosen to start in place of the unfit Steven Gerrard. Pepe Reina was the best player in a Liverpool shirt by far. Without him we’d be going into the second leg at Anfield a couple of goals down.

Overall it was a massively disappointing performance and the result flattered Liverpool. The defence was caught out far too easily on a number of occasions. The wide players offered nothing all night. The top two were starved of any real quality in terms of service and were missing for large periods because of this. However a goalless draw away from home in Europe is usually considered a good result and I think this one is to. We’ve kept a clean sheet and now know any sort of win at Anfield in a fortnight will see us progress to the group stages of this year’s Champions League.

By the time the second leg comes around we’ll be a couple of weeks fitter, the players will know each other that much better, some of our Olympians may have returned and Steven Gerrard should be 100% fit. So although the performance leaves plenty to be desired the result isn’t as bad it could have been.

Pepe Reina was definitely man of the match and has hopefully done all he has to do in terms of this tie. Come the 27th Reina won’t be needed half as much as he was tonight.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #335: Aug 14, 2008 01:21:51 am
      And a big thanks to Pepe as I didn't give him a mention earlier and without him we might be have been dead and buried with the second leg still to come..
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,785 posts | 6743 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #336: Aug 14, 2008 07:15:08 am
      Dammit. At my mates and he has Setanta. The one day I can watch its not on :(

Crouchinho, I watched it live @ 5 am on Setanta on TV in Melbourne, did they not show it on TV up in Sydney?

Key word Australian. Which one of them tits was it?

I didn't think the commentator was Australian, his name was Gary preston, never heard of him but he was a right t*wat, kept calling Xabi, Arbeloa and when El Zhar was warming up, he goes and here comes Jermaine Pennant as the next substituition  ???

I got up at 4.45 am to watch this match. Couldn't believe the result at the end. Very disappointed, the boys had a shocker, the defense was all at sea apart from Pepe who kept us in it and the midfield was just off their game, no supply to Torres and Keane but for me the 2 things that stand out the most were the lack of width, I don't remember one cross coming in from our wings and just our dodgieness at defending set pieces. It's just like last year, I sh*t myself every time the oppo has a free kick in a close position or they have a corner. I really hope Rafa gets this sorted soon otherwise I might have to buy a whole seasons worth of toilet rolls before Saturday.

Let's just hope this was a one off and we can get the real season started properly on Saturday with a smashing of Sunderland.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #337: Aug 14, 2008 07:35:52 am
      it was a awful match for us. Now we need to think about sunderland. we must beat them to improve our confidence. I thought carra. had one of the bad matches of his life.
      Walk-wright-on
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 806 posts | 13 
      • FSG - The future is bright!!
      Reply #338: Aug 14, 2008 07:51:05 am
      Like most people on here I have to agree that we were poor but I think a bit of credit has to go to Liege. They played like it was the last game they were ever going to play!! You can only play as well as the opposition allow you to. It reminded me a bit of a 3rd round FA Cup tie away to lower league opposition.

Am sure we will turn it round in a fortnight when we have had a couple more weeks working together. Liege wont be able to perform like that again................ will they??
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #339: Aug 14, 2008 08:36:28 am
      That was a shocking performance it seemed like no body knew what to do when they got the ball they either got caught in possession or hit and hoped for the best, no structure at all till Stevie G came on and gave them a good Shouting at. I can see why Rafa is looking at Barry and not a Winger he knows that if Gerrard gets injured there is no one there is be a general in the midfield and structure the midfield and the attacks which is what Gerrard and Barry do so well.

Dossena i thought should have been doing more of the help with the wingers going forward but that was difficult when Liege was getting the ball so easily off us. all we could do was Passed it around the back a bit then hoof the ball and hope some one gets on it, that is not structured footy that we know we can play.   

I hope we play better than this against Sunderland!!!

dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #340: Aug 14, 2008 09:05:15 am
      Standard Liege   Team Statistics    Liverpool
      0                           Goals                  0
      0                       1st Half Goals              0
      2                    Shots on Target    1
      3                   Shots off Target    4
      2                    Blocked Shots                  3
      2                       Corners                  4
      20                         Fouls                  11
      4                       Offsides                  1
      2                    Yellow Cards                  1
      0                      Red Cards                  0
      69.3                  Passing Success                  82.5
      21                       Tackles                  26
      76.2                 Tackles Success                  80.8
      32.4                      Possession                  67.6
      56.7                Territorial Advantage        43.3
       
      « Last Edit: Aug 14, 2008 11:27:41 am by dizzy141 »
      Richobaz
      • Only posts when we're losing...
      • Banned

• 869 posts | -98 
      Reply #341: Aug 14, 2008 09:16:11 am
      I'm glad for one thing...that I won't ever have to attend a LFC match worrying that I might have to rub shoulders with certain so called supporters here, mentioning no names...oh OK then Richobaz...because he'll be too busy 'watching' the game on his 42" TV.

Does that boy ever post anything worth reading ???

Back on-topic - knew it would be a tough game but didn't expect such a poor performance from the whole team. Sure maybe the team wasn't set up right for the occasion & players are missing but still without Reina it would have been far worse & at least 2-0.

Very Funny DM.  Look he calls me a boy and he's a fan of WARHAMMER !!!  Don't want to point out the obvious on this....
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #342: Aug 14, 2008 09:26:27 am
      I've had a pretty sh*te day so i'm not gonna bother with your crap Richo.

We were sh*t. Everyone knows we were sh*t, i just cant wait till we maul Sunderland nd Rafa fires a rocket up everyone's arse when we play the second leg.

I know not one of them is a bad player but we have to rid a holding midfielder. We have one man who is an attacking mid in Gerrard, one natural central mid and 3 holding mids in Lucas, Plessis and Masch.

Happily sacrifice Lucas for 10 million or so if it means a winger coming in. We had no width. Benny and Dirk were meant to be playing out wide but Benny played most of the game more central than Plessis and Dirk was utter sh*te.

We need more spark, we were lost without Stevie. Dont care if Silva says he is staying, we need him. If not then Cole. We cant sh*t around and leave our weakness untouched.

We bought Keane for 18 mill (waste in my opinion) and are chasing Barry who just congests the centre even more.

If we need Stevie every bloody game to save our arses then kiss no.19 goodbye for the next 5 seasons.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #343: Aug 14, 2008 09:43:33 am
      Thats why we need Barry we cant rely on Gerrard every time and the midfield was congested as the wingers were coming into midfield looking for the ball as there was little service going out wide even Nando and Keane were out wide a lot operating as wingers as the wingers were in the central mid. When Gerrard come on all of a sudden the wings went out wide and the spaces opened up such as the Yossi chance which was no way off sides but that's how it goes. The wingers we have at the moment are adequate its the service to them that is lacking.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #344: Aug 14, 2008 10:01:23 am
      I knew this game was not going to be easy I do not know why for the life of me people were screaming out 4 or 5 nil scorelines prior to the match. Rafa is yet to find his best 11 which could result in a poor start to the season yet again. IMO we have a massive squad and there were 3 or 4 players out there last night that are not worthy enough of the red jersey and no Kuyt is not one of them. The game reminded me of the January slump we had last season where our play was unstructured and was dictated by hoofing the ball upfield from defence no play or short passing game through the middle what so ever. I do not  see how a certain Barry could have changed the game or made a difference for us last night.

It is also pissing me off on this forum that a lot of people are giving Keane so much sympaty and praise by no stretch of the imagination am I going to say he is a bad player or not worth the money but I think before we embrace him so much let him prove to us that he is worthy of that number 7 jersey. I still remain upbeat about this Saturday we could not have played much worse than last night so any game we bring with us will be an improvement, as for the return leg with the Kop behind us we are a goal or two stronger.

Take also note that all the favourites of the CL qualifiers Barca, Arsenal, Fiorentina Juventus even Shaktar have done enough to qualify allready. I hope this is just a slow start for us and nothing more.

Quick Reply