Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Jay Spearing

Read 100416 times
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Re: Jay Spearing Player Thread
      Reply #874: Nov 16, 2012 12:42:23 pm
      @robboma3: Jay spearings #movemember effort watching from the stands!  http://t.co/BeZbzWIi

:lmao:
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #875: Nov 29, 2012 06:11:10 pm
      Can we bring Jay back in the Jan window? could do with the ald right now.

Another poor move for letting him go.
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #876: Nov 29, 2012 06:19:02 pm
      :D really ?

shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #877: Nov 29, 2012 06:20:12 pm

Cant do worse than the £15 Million Welsh Xavi or Sahin can he?
      George Lucas
      • Banned

• 6,615 posts | 57 
      • JFT96
      Reply #878: Nov 29, 2012 06:22:03 pm

:D

Seriously ?

He is a decent lad but nowhere near good enough

Allen is having a dip in form and Sahin hasn't settled fully yet but both are ten times the player Spearing is !?!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #879: Nov 29, 2012 06:22:59 pm

Yes, actually he could. Though I do agree in retrospect it was a mistake to loan Spearing, but at the time I don't think it really was. No one expected Lucas to be injured again, but he was decent cover for him. Not spectacular or great, but decent.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #880: Nov 29, 2012 06:34:35 pm
      Yes, actually he could. Though I do agree in retrospect it was a mistake to loan Spearing, but at the time I don't think it really was. No one expected Lucas to be injured again, but he was decent cover for him. Not spectacular or great, but decent.

Never thought Jay would ever make it for us because of quality, but one thing he did always have was heart and at the moment he'd embarrass a few of the lads that played yesterday, our captain being one of them.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,334 posts | 2834 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #881: Nov 29, 2012 06:42:28 pm

Yes, he can do much, much worse, in fact.
      Dannylfc
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #882: Nov 29, 2012 06:48:33 pm
      If theres an area were our squad actually doesn't need more re-enforcements, its central midfield IMO.

Gerrard, Allen, Lucas, Shelvey, Sahin, Henderson, (Throw Suso & Cole in there if you're generous) all effectively fighting for 2/3 spots a match.

He wouldn't get a sniff if he came back in January. Heard hes doing pretty well at Bolton though.
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,177 posts | 265 
      Reply #883: Nov 30, 2012 03:37:29 pm
      If theres an area were our squad actually doesn't need more re-enforcements, its central midfield IMO.

Gerrard, Allen, Lucas, Shelvey, Sahin, Henderson, (Throw Suso & Cole in there if you're generous) all effectively fighting for 2/3 spots a match.

He wouldn't get a sniff if he came back in January. Heard hes doing pretty well at Bolton though.
      I don't think so mate. Realize how much on this forum crying for Lucas comeback tell us how important the combative defensive midfielder to our team. BR's football seemed like to rely on only 2 CBs at the back and that again emphasis the need of a good DM. So imo a quality backup combative CDM is a 2nd priority after a goalscorer for BR. I don't know how progress of our youngster Baio (I think he's a DM but sorry if it's wrong) but I has a little hope Allen can develop in this position. Admitted so I not rate Spearing much but love him and feel a bit sad he seem cannot success here.

PS you mentioned central midfield but I understood you mean defensive midfield so sorry if it's not exactly the same point.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #884: Dec 28, 2012 04:13:40 pm
      Bump.

Would like to see him back in Jan and add a bit of bite in the middle.

Not everyone's cup of tea but he would put in a better fight & shift than our current lot.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #885: Dec 28, 2012 04:15:41 pm
      Bump.

Would like to see him back in Jan and add a bit of bite in the middle.

Not everyone's cup of tea but he would put in a better fight & shift than our current lot.

Agree mate.

Under rated by many as a passer of the ball as well.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,479 posts | 4595 
      Reply #886: Dec 28, 2012 04:21:09 pm
      Agree mate.

Si, called back in novemeber to be honest but was laughed at by some.

F**k splashing the cash when you have a lad who knows nothing but to give a honest performance for his hometown club,like to see him given a chance.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,150 posts | 3385 
      Reply #887: Dec 28, 2012 04:25:31 pm
      Agree mate.

He falls into the Ronnie Whelan category.

Not noticed until he's not there.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #888: Dec 28, 2012 04:28:40 pm
      He falls into the Ronnie Whelan category.

Not noticed until he's not there.

I like Jay but think he didn't play at his best at times last season.

But he has everything needed to play in a midfield three and with him alongside Gerrard and Allen while Lucas was out might have made a difference.

Don't expect to see him back though as Brendan doesnt appear to rate him.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,150 posts | 3385 
      Reply #889: Dec 28, 2012 04:34:07 pm
      I like Jay but think he didn't play at his best at times last season.

But he has everything needed to play in a midfield three and with him alongside Gerrard and Allen while Lucas was out might have made a difference.

Don't expect to see him back though as Brendan doesnt appear to rate him.

He wasn't at his best at times because he was often asked to play the "holding" role which isn't Jay's position. Jay is a natural in the middle of the park doing what a central midfielder should do. Kenny asked him to replace Lucas, which held Jay's ability back a bit.

He's more than just a ball winner, he's a forward thinking player who wants to get involved all over the pitch like a central midfielder should. When he was paired alongside Lucas, he was constantly in and around the box when we were attacking. And because of his ability to play in both halves, it allowed Lucas to venture forward on occasions.

I'd rather a midfield of Jay, Lucas, Stevie above anything we've got at the minute.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #890: Dec 28, 2012 04:37:07 pm
      He wasn't at his best at times because he was often asked to play the "holding" role which isn't Jay's position. Jay is a natural in the middle of the park doing what a central midfielder should do. Kenny asked him to replace Lucas, which held Jay's ability back a bit.

He's more than just a ball winner, he's a forward thinking player who wants to get involved all over the pitch like a central midfielder should. When he was paired alongside Lucas, he was constantly in and around the box when we were attacking. And because of his ability to play in both halves, it allowed Lucas to venture forward on occasions.

I'd rather a midfield of Jay, Lucas, Stevie above anything we've got at the minute.

Agree with all of this Billy mate.

As you know I rate Jay as well and think he is a more rounded midfielder than most of the others on our books.

In Brendans system playing just ahead of Lucas with Gerrard further forward would be very good but then where would the boss have played his big signing of the summer.

It seems Jay was moved out to make room for Allen.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #891: Dec 28, 2012 04:54:51 pm
      I hope this isn't the case of "player not in the side, he's the missing link" that always seems to happen when someone's not playing. Happened with Carroll, Pacheco, Aquilani, etc. where we build them up beyond what they actually are.

I think Jay's alright. Love his attitude and ability to give 100% every single game, but let's be realistic here. He's a squad player, not a starter, and if he were to play his natural CM role as opposed to DM, I doubt he'd perform better than any of Allen, Sahin and even Henderson. I think he's a very good squad option to be fair.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,150 posts | 3385 
      Reply #892: Dec 28, 2012 04:58:32 pm
      Agree with all of this Billy mate.

As you know I rate Jay as well and think he is a more rounded midfielder than most of the others on our books.

In Brendans system playing just ahead of Lucas with Gerrard further forward would be very good but then where would the boss have played his big signing of the summer.

It seems Jay was moved out to make room for Allen.

I know you rate Jay mate.

If we'd kept Jay, then I think we could of played the diamond midfield with Lucas sitting, Allen and Spearing in the middle and Stevie just off the front two. Sterling and Suarez up top with Stevie moving out towards the right and Sterling out to the left to mix things up a bit. Would of fitted into Brendan's style of using the full backs to provide the greatest width as well.

Unfortunately though I think you're right mate, Jay was moved to make room for Allen. Bad decision all round that in my opinion.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,348 posts | 4968 
      Reply #893: Dec 28, 2012 05:00:57 pm
      and if he were to play his natural CM role as opposed to DM, I doubt he'd perform better than any of Allen, Sahin and even Henderson. I think he's a very good squad option to be fair.

Although if he performed just as well as Allen the £15M could have went towards a goalscorer perhaps?

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #894: Dec 28, 2012 05:08:58 pm
      Although if he performed just as well as Allen the £15 could have went towards a goalscorer perhaps?

Don't think he would have performed better than Allen. Allen has won possession back more times than anyone else in the league (check his player thread), and he was being played out of position.
      indlfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,099 posts |
      Reply #895: Dec 28, 2012 05:14:53 pm
      Don't think he would have performed better than Allen. Allen has won possession back more times than anyone else in the league (check his player thread), and he was being played out of position.
      I don't think he was played out of position. It was that he didn't had another DM sitting with him. He playing the same position even now to me.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      Reply #896: Dec 28, 2012 05:17:48 pm
      I don't think he was played out of position. It was that he didn't had another DM sitting with him. He playing the same position even now to me.

Yes he was. Allen is a link CM. He was moved to DM once Lucas was injured, with Gerrard moving into Allen's spot. and Sahin/Shelvey moving into the AM role.

Quick Reply