Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 1st of June and on this date LFC's match record is P6 W4 D2 L0

Is Steve Finnan finished?

Read 3917 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Is Steve Finnan finished?
      Aug 11, 2008 01:01:08 pm
      After seeing our great servant Steve Finnan brought on and then taken off in Villareal and then given a couple of minutes at centre half against Lazio it looks like hes out of Rafas plans to me. Arbeloa and Darby look like there ahead of him and then Degen has to comeback from injury.

I know Finnan was heavily linked as part of the Barry deal but after what Parry said it looks like that deal is off so where does it leave Finnan? Am I reading too muvch in to Rafas pre season team selections or is he finished?   
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,143 posts | 3383 
      Re: Is Steve Finnan finished?
      Reply #1: Aug 11, 2008 02:14:51 pm
      I think with the arrival of Degen, the dismissed transfer talk about Arebloa and Darby puttin in really good performances durin pre-season then Finnan may be findin 1st team football at Anfield quite difficult.

I know Fulham were interested in him earlier this summer, maybe a move to his former club. I think we can safely scrap Villa from the list as they've just signed Luke Young from Boro. Sunderland who were also "linked" is probably a no go area with their signin of Chimbonda. Finnan doesn't strike me as the type who's gonna sod off to Europe either. He's still too good for the Championship so unless a Prem team or even Celtic/Rangers who tend to sign players the wrong age of 30 come in for him Steve Finnan may well be at Liverpool for another year, just not playin as much as he'd like.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #2: Aug 11, 2008 03:30:02 pm
      I know a lot of Fulham supporters who are saying they are still in the hunt for Finnan..maybe we could get a few million quid from them and he would go to a club who yes are more than likely going to be 15-20 side in the league but will play every week.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #3: Aug 11, 2008 03:38:03 pm
      I dont want to see him go, he has been a brilliant player and hasnt put in a bad performance in his time here. Only reason to let him go would be if Darby gets a crack in the first side.

Fulham are interested, i know some Scottish teams are after him so there are good places for him to go. I want to see him do well, he doesnt deserve to sit on the bench at best all season.

Degen, hasnt looked too good so far. Hopefully he comes good though.
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #4: Aug 11, 2008 05:36:56 pm
      Finnan was immense against Ronaldinho when we played them in the CL, I'll never forget that. I've always admired Finnan. His crosses were always deadly, even deadlier than natural right wingers like Pennant! It's sad to see that he's quite forgotten now.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #5: Aug 11, 2008 05:43:49 pm
      I think he has got a lot of Premiership experience.  It seems he has told Rafa he isn't going to Villa and I applaud that.

He's not the most attacking of wing backs but he is reliable.  Letting him go now would be at least a season too early in my opinion.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #6: Aug 11, 2008 05:57:09 pm
      I think he has got a lot of Premiership experience.  It seems he has told Rafa he isn't going to Villa and I applaud that.

He's not the most attacking of wing backs but he is reliable.  Letting him go now would be at least a season too early in my opinion.

Echos my feelings exactly! Quietly confident and effective, Mr Reliable - I honestly don't see the interest in selling him for a pittance, even if he only plays the odd match or Carling Cup. His experience could still provide a valuable difference in these or any other matches he features in.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #7: Aug 12, 2008 09:13:00 am
      While Finnan has been excellent value for money I think he will struggle to play in the 1st team this season.as will Sami Hypia.Those 2 players have not caused any problems whatsoever and always give their best when called on.The question is will Steve Finnan be happy to be a fringe player and not get many games or will he look to get a 3 or 4 year contract with another club to finish his playing days.
      el nino9
      • Forum John Barnes

• 417 posts |
      Reply #8: Aug 12, 2008 09:26:08 am
      While Finnan has been excellent value for money I think he will struggle to play in the 1st team this season.as will Sami Hypia.Those 2 players have not caused any problems whatsoever and always give their best when called on.The question is will Steve Finnan be happy to be a fringe player and not get many games or will he look to get a 3 or 4 year contract with another club to finish his playing days.

I think Steve can go on for a few more years, just like ol Grandpa Sammy, Although looks like the only way Sammy is leaving is out the front door in a coffin because he won't stop. Steve might not be able to get up and down and overlap as quick as he used to in the future but he can still do the job as right back.

As long as the Gaffer and the rest of the lads are happy that the changing room will start to stink of piss all will be well.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #9: Aug 12, 2008 10:01:33 am
      Thats where the other 3 have the edge over us though. They have Sagna, Eboue, Brown, Bosingwa, Cole, Clichy, Evra, A.Cole all bombing down their flanks from defence and assisting in attack, grabbing assists and getting that odd goal they need as well as tracking back with ease.

We have Aurellio who is out half the time who we have replaced with Dossena and he is looking brilliant so far and Arby who is developing his game but isnt there yet. Finn, while he is a very handy right back, he isnt going to be able to attack down the right without that bit of pace he once had.

We have Degen but once he attacks, he has been caught out by minnow's so i cant imagine what Anderson, Cole and co. would do. Degen though needs time to adapt and i'll give it to him.

I think Darby has time for improvement with his attacking game but can pass very well  which is a positive and did support our attack everytime i saw him in pre season but managed to track back easily.

I'm not fussed if Finn goes. Brilliant defender still and in his past and handy for those games against lesser sides but i'd much rather see Darby pushing Arby and Degen because we all know he has that fire to push and has produced some brilliant performances for us in pre season.
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #10: Aug 12, 2008 10:42:18 am
      I hope he doesn't leave, he's so vastly underrated!! He does a great job at the back, so good that people don't realise just how good he is.

But the thing is that we now have Degen, although we haven't seen what he's like in a Premiership match, i believe if given enough time he will do the job as good as Finnan did or maybe even better.

If Rafa does decide to sell him, i hope it is not this season!
      REDMAN
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,314 posts |
      Reply #11: Aug 15, 2008 11:28:18 pm
      As reliable as he is,is he mobile enough to get up and down,week in,week out,and with our lack of wingers,hes going to need to do this.allegedy him and Rafa have had a bust up anyway,so his chances look remote.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #12: Aug 16, 2008 11:03:33 am
      Steve Finnan can't leave after the performance of the full backs against Standard any more games like that from Dosena and Finnan will have his spot back and 30 is not to old because one thing he brings to the team is experience and know how so don't sell him just yet Rafa he may turn out to be one you were glad you kept....
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #13: Aug 16, 2008 11:08:27 am
      Must be getting old it's Degan who's replacing Steve and as yet we do not know how the new guys will handle the Prem so once again do not sell him Rafa he may turn out to be one of the players of the season.....
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #14: Aug 16, 2008 12:32:38 pm
      He isnt finished but it looks like he is getting there. His performances have still been good it just seems Rafa is looking in replacing him. His days of being a regular first team choice are certainly over though with both Deagen and Arbeloa pushing him hard. Squad wise he is still certainly useful.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #15: Aug 18, 2008 12:12:59 am
      14 days to go till the window shuts.

I think Rafa wants rid but it appears Steve is intent on running down his contract.  I'd be disappointed if this proves to be the case.  But I haven't been impressed with Arby so far this season.
      RedArmy96
      • Forum Gary McAllister

• 96 posts | -1 
      • What we achieve in life, Echoes in eternity
      Reply #16: Aug 18, 2008 01:20:35 am
      I wouldnt be suprised to see him leave.
      But havent been overly impressed with Arbeloa and Degen an unknown quantity and Injured, we may just hold on to Finnan for the time being
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #17: Aug 18, 2008 10:21:47 pm
      Finnan lost over Liverpool future
      Monday, 18th August 2008 (22:19)

Steve Finnan, who will be on international duty this Wednesday night with the Republic of Ireland, has no idea what his happening with his Liverpool future.

One of Liverpool’s regulars in recent seasons has apparently been frozen out by Rafa Benitez.  Finnan was widely tipped to be used as a make-weight in the Gareth Barry deal, but rumours close to Anfield suggested the Irishman had refused to move away to Aston Villa.

Whether this is the the reason for the players failure to travel with the first team squad to either of the last two fixtures is not fully known. When asked by reporters ahead of the international in Oslo, Steve was asked if he was in ‘limbo’.

“Limbo sounds about right, yes.

“I haven’t got a clue, to be honest with you. I haven’t played many games recently, so I honestly can’t say.

“There is a big squad there and everyone is fighting for their place, and I just have to train well and take the chance if I get it.”

However the player then gave a clue that he had indeed rejected a move away from Anfield by wanting to see what happened after the transfer window closes. He was asked if he had thought about a move away.

“You would have to ask the club. I have been trying to get into the team.

“I haven’t played, but I will just wait and see and when the transfer window closes, we will know then.

“I will wait and see if I can get into the team; if not, then obviously I want to play, so we will just have to take it from there.”

But had he discussed it with Rafa Benitez? Steve remained coy.

“We have spoken about it, but at this time, I don’t think I will say too much more.”

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/lfc-news/2008/finnan-lost-over-liverpool-future/

Bit out of order.  Why is it all so much smoke and daggers.  Alonso, Finnan. Exactly how many players - reliable players - do we have to lose in this ongoing quest for Gareth Barry.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #18: Aug 18, 2008 10:55:17 pm
      From a fans perspective, personally I can only find the reason why Finnan would be part of a supposed deal for Barry is because he's still a good right back - but the evaluated price that was rumoured in any such deal was nothing short of ridiculous.

But the lack of chances nearing the end of last season and the obvious lack of chances since we started pre season until now, probably speaks volumes. I assume Rafa wants a more attacking feel to the right back position and he probably doesn't think Finnan fits that bill anymore.

If you think of how Crouch got the cold shoulder treatment and what resulted in that, then you'd have to say Finnan is finished.

The thing for me, is that Finnan done his right back position well. It's alright having people who can get forward but the priority should be having a good understanding with the rest of the defence and doing the defending well.

I believe Arbeloa can do a decent job there but lately he's looked rusty to me, lacking a bit of commitment. That has to improve, but in all fairness, he hasn't been the only one. And without seeing enough of Degans defensive abilities yet, I hope Rafa isn't counting too many chickens before they've hatched.

The alternative if Finnan goes and both Arbeloa and Degan being either injured or rubbish is to have Carragher out on the right or part of a three at the back. Maybe that's why it seems like Finnans days are up...
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #19: Aug 18, 2008 11:12:15 pm
      No question Arbeloa has looked rusty.  I don't like getting on the back of any player after only 180 minutes but of them all I'd say Arby has had the worst start.

Finnan does a good job, but I think with the added option of Carragher being able to play there on top of all the others, and with our abundance of centre-backs Finnan is off.

From the way he's speaking though he isn't planning on getting off soon so it will probably be three months in the reserves and he'll get off, a bit ungraciously, in January.  Shame that.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #20: Aug 19, 2008 12:27:37 am
      I still think Stevie Finnan is the best right back we have for consistency. As for attacking, he got more crosses in than Penneant when he was playing behind him, better quality as well. Be sorry to see him go but it looks like the writings on the wall.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #21: Aug 19, 2008 01:11:05 am
      I think that if he does'nt play in one of our next 2 games then he will be going, or he will see very little time on the pitch and go in january.
      I hope he stays and gets back into the 1st team like before, he is a cracking right back and has been a real asset to the club. Our un-sung hero!
      goldton
      • Forum Phil Thompson

• 490 posts | -10 
      • This is our year FOR SURE....
      Reply #22: Aug 19, 2008 01:15:25 am
      I think Finnan has to leave because he will not have a place in LFC squad.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #23: Aug 19, 2008 09:01:39 am
      I agree with JD regarding Arbeloa looking rusty,he was certainly not at his best at Sunderland. Now to Steve Finnan I am surprised at the apparent lack of interest from other clubs as he is a player who does his job and does not seek the limelight and does not sulk when things are not going right.In plain speaking a good clubman.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      Reply #24: Aug 19, 2008 01:26:30 pm
      I just think its a sad day when a player who has been as consistent as Carra is treated so shabily. Im not saying because of what hes done in the past he should be treated like he owns the place but he deerves to be treated with respect. He said himself he hasnt been injured but yet all hes got is 20 mins against Villareal and 8 minutes at centre half  :f_doh: against Lazio. Its almost like he has become a leper at the club
      MsGerrard
      Reply #25: Aug 19, 2008 01:52:13 pm
      I just think its a sad day when a player who has been as consistent as Carra is treated so shabily.

I think you mean Steve Finnan, Brian  ;)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,143 posts | 3383 
      Reply #26: Aug 19, 2008 02:19:20 pm
      I think we can safely say Finnan will not be in the Barry deal because Villa have signed Luke Young to replace Melberg at right back. I don't think Finnan would move from Liverpool's bench to Villa's bench and Villa wouldn't waste money on Luke Young to sit on the bench.

I do think however Finnan will move on in the near future because he's come out of international retirement. He's got a chance of going to the 2010 World Cup should ROI qualify, he's only gonna go by playing first team football. That's why he turned down the chance to move to Villa in my opinion. I think he knew he wasn't gonna play reguarly at Villa Park either. I think if a club who could offer him first team football came in for him he'd jump at the chance.

Loyal servant to the club, can count on one hand the number of bad games he's played in a Liverpool shirt. Wish him all the luck in the world if or when he moves on.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,367 posts | 2880 
      Reply #27: Aug 19, 2008 05:52:46 pm
      I think you mean Steve Finnan, Brian  ;)

what I meant was that Finnan's consistency has matched that of Carraghers over the years sorry for the confusion

Quick Reply