Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Useless Information - But Interesting and Educational

Read 4597 times
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Useless Information - But Interesting and Educational
      Aug 16, 2008 08:12:03 pm
      The next time you are washing your hands and complain because the water temperature isn't just how you like it, think about how things used to be.

Here are some facts about the1500's:

These are interesting...

Most people got married in June because they took their yearly bath in May, and still smelled pretty good by June. However, they were starting to smell, so brides carried a bouquet of flowers to hide the body odor. Hence the custom today of carrying a bouquet when getting married.

Baths consisted of a big tub filled with hot water. The man of the house had the privilege of the nice clean water, then all the other sons and men, then the women and finally the children. Last of all the babies. By then the water was so dirty you could actually lose someone in it. Hence the saying, Don't throw the baby out with the Bath water..

Houses had thatched roofs-thick straw-piled high, with no wood underneath. It was the only place for animals to get warm, so all the cats and other small animals (mice, bugs) lived in the roof. When it rained it became slippery and sometimes the animals would slip and fall off the roof. Hence the saying . It's raining cats and dogs.

There was nothing to stop things from falling into the house.. This posed a real problem in the bedroom where bugs and other droppings could mess up your nice clean bed. Hence, a bed with big posts and a sheet hung over the top afforded some protection. That's how canopy beds came into existence.

The floor was dirt. Only the wealthy had something other than dirt. Hence the saying, Dirt poor. The wealthy had slate floors that would get slippery in the winter when wet, so they spread thresh (straw) on floor to help keep their footing. As the winter wore on, they added more thresh until, when you opened the door, it would all start slipping outside. A piece of wood was placed in the entrance way. Hence the saying a thresh hold.

(Getting quite an education, aren't you?)

In those old days, they cooked in the kitchen with a big kettle that always hung over the fire. Every day they lit the fire and added things to the pot. They ate mostly vegetables and did not get much meat. They would eat the stew for dinner, leaving leftovers in the pot to get cold overnight and then start over the next day. Sometimes stew had food in it that had been there for quite a while.  Hence the rhyme, Peas porridge hot, peas porridge cold, peas porridge in the pot nine days old..

Sometimes they could obtain pork, which made them feel quite special. When visitors came over, they would hang up their bacon to show off. It was a sign of wealth that a man could 'bring home the bacon'.  They would cut off a little to share with guests and would all sit around and chew the fat..

Those with money had plates made of pewter. Food with high acid content caused some of the lead to leach onto the food, causing lead poisoning death. This happened most often with tomatoes, so for the next 400 years or so, tomatoes were considered poisonous.

Bread was divided according to status. Workers got the burnt bottom of the loaf, the family got the middle, and guests got the top, or the 'upper crust'.

Lead cups were used to drink ale or whiskey. The combination would sometimes knock the imbibers out for a couple of days. Someone walking along the road would
      Take them for dead and prepare them for burial. They were laid out on the kitchen table for a couple of days and the family would gather around and eat and drink and wait and see if they would wake up. Hence the custom of holding a wake.

England is old and small and the local folks started running out of  places to bury people. So they would dig up coffins and would take the bones to a bone-house, and re-use the grave. When re-opening these coffins, 1 out of 25 coffins were found to have scratch marks on the inside and they realized they had been burying people alive. So they  would tie a string on the wrist of the corpse, thread it through the coffin and up through the ground and tie it to a bell. Someone would have to sit out in the graveyard all night (the graveyard shift.) to listen for the bell; thus, someone could be saved by the bell or was considered a dead ringer.

And that's the truth...Now, whoever said History was boring ! ! !     ;D

Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Re: Useless Information - But Interesting and Educational
      Reply #1: Aug 16, 2008 08:24:27 pm
      nice one Smiggs very useful useless information :gt-happyup:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #2: Aug 16, 2008 08:37:18 pm
      nice one Smiggs very useful useless information :gt-happyup:

Agree.  I will be passing the information on to my work colleagues to appear like a fountain of knowledge and mystery.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #3: Aug 16, 2008 08:37:48 pm
      I liked the last one the best, tying a string with a bell on it to the corpse in case he wasn't dead !!  :D :D
      Venison 86
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,157 posts | 205 
      Reply #4: Aug 16, 2008 08:43:08 pm
      All ways wonder where the saying its raining cats and dogs came from
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #5: Aug 16, 2008 08:46:03 pm
      All ways wonder where the saying its raining cats and dogs came from

Well now you know, you can amaze your mates with all your new found knowledge  :D :D

Handy if your in a pub quiz team  ;)
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #6: Aug 16, 2008 08:48:32 pm
      Thresh hold . thats where it comes from , you learn somthing every day.
      LFC Viking
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,112 posts | 38 
      • LFC: Europe's finest 5 star establishment
      Reply #7: Aug 16, 2008 08:54:45 pm
      Some great useless facts there!
      I'm always telling my family and friends useless facts and I was running out, so thanks for those Smiggs! ;)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #8: Aug 16, 2008 10:10:28 pm
      Thanks Smiggs........I really enjoyed reading those  :D

Makes a lot of sense now and you see why these things are said.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #9: Aug 17, 2008 04:53:18 am
      Boss useless info thread Smiggs!  :D Loved reading that.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #10: Aug 17, 2008 09:35:10 am
      Wow, that was really useless information Smiggs, thanks for that  ;) I'll be the wisest person at work now.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #11: Aug 17, 2008 11:45:25 am
      I'm just blown away by that :D, i like the cats and dogs one :P
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #12: Aug 17, 2008 12:22:23 pm
      I've just relayed half of them to the Missus! :D Felt like a genius! ;D

Very useless information Smiggs, thanks very much! :D
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #13: Aug 17, 2008 02:50:22 pm
      Smiggs I enjoyed them soo much I added them to my bebo page :D

I also have some useful information about chuck norris... but theres too much so here's my top few :)

In no particular order:

When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris

Chuck Norris did not "lose" his virginity, he stalked it and then destroyed it with extreme prejudice

One time, at band camp, Chuck Norris ate a percussionist

Chuck Norris crossed the road. No one has ever dared question his motives.

There is no such thing as a lesbian, just a woman who has never met Chuck Norris.

When Arnold says the line "I'll be back" in the first Terminator movie it is implied that is he going to ask Chuck Norris for help.

A man once asked Chuck Norris if his real name is "Charles". Chuck Norris did not respond, he simply stared at him until he exploded

Chuck Norris can win a game of Trivial Pursuit with one roll of the dice, and without answering a single question... just a nod of the head, and a stroke of the beard

Chuck Norris knows everything there is to know - Except for the definition of mercy.

Chuck Norris' first job was as a paperboy. There were no survivors

Chuck Norris once went skydiving, but promised never to do it again. One Grand Canyon is enough

Chuck Norris doesn't read books. He stares them down until he gets the information he wants

And now.... my personal favourite top 5:

5. Chuck Norris is the reason why Waldo is hiding
      4. Chuck Norris destroyed the periodic table, because Chuck Norris only recognizes the element of surprise.
      3. Chuck Norris' calender goes from 31st of March straight to April 2nd... no one fools Chuck Norris
      2. For some, the left testicle is larger than the right one. For Chuck Norris, each testicle is larger than the other one.
      1. When Chuck Norris falls in water, Chuck Norris doesn't get wet. Water gets Chuck Norris

:lmao: my sides hurt now

« Last Edit: Aug 17, 2008 03:12:49 pm by Magillionare »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,909 posts | 6833 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #14: Aug 18, 2008 06:46:42 am

3. Chuck Norris' calender goes from 31st of March straight to April 2nd... no one fools Chuck Norris

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

that's friggin hilarious

Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #15: Aug 18, 2008 08:26:37 am
      Is it sad that I knew most of Smiggs post already?  :-\ I need to get out more!
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #16: Aug 18, 2008 10:23:01 am
      The favorite color of mosquitoes is blue........THX Margie
            The most common last name in the world is Wong .
           An oyster can change its sex once every seven days.
            The longest kebab was 324.9m.
            A polar bear's kidneys are poisonous.
            Pure carbon can exist in only three forms
            The modern horse has evolved over 60 million years from a creature no bigger than a domestic cat.
            The highest ever amount paid out in a life insurance claim was $18,000,000 to Linda Mullendore.
            The first nightclub was "Le Bak des Anglais", it opened in 1843.
            Adolf Hitler was addicted to speed.
            The dioxin 2,3,7,8-tetrachlorodibenzo-p-dioxin is 150,000 times deadlier than cyanide.
            It is said that when Black Beard the Pirate was beheaded his headless body danced around for eight minutes.
            The Western Deep Mine, Carlentonville, RSA, is the deepest gold mine in the world.
            The largest discovered prime number in equal to 2 to the power of 859433 minus 1.
            The world's largest restaurant chain is McDonald's.
            A camel does not sweat until its body is at 40 degrees C.
            An ounce of wild ginseng root has been sold for as high a price as $23,000.
            The most common name for a pub in England is 'The Red Lion'.
            Jesus lived only 66 generations ago.
            If a tennis ball was bounced against a wall once a second and each time it hit its atomic structure changed randomly, once every five suns' lifetimes it would pass through the wall.
            The tallest structure in the world is the KTHI-TV Mast, Fargo, Dakota, USA, at 629m.
            The quickest boxing match in history was 10.5 seconds, this included the 10 second count.
            The longest banana split was 7.32km.
            If you randomly select 23 people the chance of two people sharing a birthday is 0.5.
      Magillionare
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      Reply #17: Aug 18, 2008 11:13:14 am

If a tennis ball was bounced against a wall once a second and each time it hit its atomic structure changed randomly, once every five suns' lifetimes it would pass through the wall.

Lets get cracking then :D
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #18: Aug 18, 2008 11:36:29 am
      - The word "queue" is the only word in the English language that is still pronounced the same way when the last four letters are removed.
      - Beetles taste like apples, wasps like pine nuts, and worms  like fried bacon.
      - Human thigh bones are stronger than concrete.
      - You can't kill yourself by holding your breath
      - There is a city called Rome on every continent.
      - It's against the law to have a pet dog in Iceland!
      - Adolf Hitler was a vegetarian, and had only ONE testicle.
      - Women blink nearly twice as much as men.
      - If you are right-handed, you will tend to chew your food on the right side of the mouth. If you are left-handed, you will tend to chew your food on the left.
      - An ostrich egg can make eleven-and-a-half omelets.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #19: Aug 18, 2008 11:53:36 am
      On the new hundred dollar bill the time on the clock tower of Independence Hall is 4:10.
            The vignette on the reverse of the five-dollar bill depicts the Lincoln Memorial. You may be aware that, engraved on that Memorial are the names of the 48 states in 1922, which was the year the Memorial was dedicated. There are engravings of 26 State names on front of the building, which appears on the note vignette. As a result, only 26 of the States appear on the note.
         Corrected: Thanks to Mike Cappella
            If you have three quarters, four dimes, and four pennies, you have $1.19. You also have the largest amount of money in coins without being able to make change for a dollar.
            If you toss a penny 10000 times, it will not be heads 5000 times, but more like 4950. The heads picture weighs more, so it ends up on the bottom.
            A quarter has 119 grooves around the edge.
            A dime has 118 ridges around the edge.
            On an American one-dollar bill, there is an owl in the upper left-hand corner of the "1" encased in the "shield" and a spider hidden in the front upper right-hand corner.
            There are four cars and eleven lightposts on the back of a ten-dollar bill. Corrected Thanks To: Brad Spencer
            The numbers '172' can be found on the back of the U.S. $5 dollar bill in the bushes at the base of the Lincoln Memorial.
            Pocahontas appeared on the back of the $20 bill in 1875.
            The face of a penny can hold about thirty drops of water.
            Money isn't made out of paper, it's made out of linen.
            97% of all paper money in the US contains traces of cocaine. Every day in the United States, people steal $20,000 from coin-operated machines.
            In 75% of American households, women manage the money and pay the bills.
            The first coin minted in the United States was a silver dollar. It was issued on October 15, 1794. The ridges on the sides of coins are called reeding or milling.

Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #20: Aug 18, 2008 02:10:42 pm

- If you are right-handed, you will tend to chew your food on the right side of the mouth. If you are left-handed, you will tend to chew your food on the left.

Bpatel, I think it's wrong. Being a left-handed person, I never paid attention to that till today. But I tend to chew on both sides of mouth!
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #21: Aug 18, 2008 02:14:16 pm
      Bpatel, I think it's wrong. Being a left-handed person, I never paid attention to that till today. But I tend to chew on both sides of mouth!

But i don't think this applies to ALL left-handed or right-handed people, that's why the word 'tend' is used!
      Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #22: Aug 18, 2008 02:30:03 pm
      But I don't think this applies to ALL left-handed or right-handed people, that's why the word 'tend' is used!

Sorry, I got another meaning of that statement that every left or right-handed person can chew on both sides but the most of time prefer chewing on left or right side respectively.
      However it's difficult to check cause not many people think about on what side of mouth they chew!

Quick Reply