Trending Topics

Next match: Villa v LFC [Premier League] Mon 13th May @ 8:00 pm
      Villa Park

Today is the 12th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W9 D6 L3

Are we title contenders?

Read 88775 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,356 posts | 8616 
      Re: Are we title contenders?
      Reply #1311: May 14, 2009 01:12:38 pm
      This is our 1992, when we just got pipped to the title.

Next season we are definitely going to win the league.

And those manc fuckers know it, I hope they enjoy FINALLY catching up with us, cos next season we start pulling away again.

SOMETIMES EQUALLED, NEVER BETTERED

LIVERPOOL FC.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #1312: May 14, 2009 01:17:50 pm
      We are still contenders but lets be honest the chances of us grabbing it at the death are slim to nil.

Like coming back from a three goal deficit in Istanbul or getting three goals against Olympiakos when we went a goal down.  Anything is possible and as long as we keep going at it until it is mathematically impossible, which I know we will,  then I will be happy.

It'll be nice not to have to qualify for the Champions League for a change.

niksluvslfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,234 posts | 23 
      Reply #1313: May 14, 2009 01:29:19 pm
      I know this  little off topic but most of you guys on this forum are older than me and more wiser ad probably better with words ..... I need a good way to tell the mancs on my school to F**k off when they tell me " it's been 20 since you guys won it and you'll never win it  and how is like being trophyless for three years " I know what I want to say to him but the words can't come can you guys tell me some ways to get back at him .I told him that we did not have Torres or Gerrard playing together for most of the season and he says I'm just making up excess . Thanks

P.S sorry for going off topic but I just want to show those manc b***ard theats it's not over and liverpool will come back srtonger next season .
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #1314: May 14, 2009 01:42:04 pm
      simple what are they going to do after fergie?

liverpool have been re-built to be the most dangerous force once again in english football,rafa has made us believer's agian,trust me when i say once we get over the hurdel  for our 19th then the ground in front will roll up fast and we will take eveything that comes in our way.
      UNITED are a spent force for the future.
      and the beauty about it FERGIE F***ing know's it.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,662 posts | 6960 
      Reply #1315: May 14, 2009 01:47:34 pm
      We are still contenders but lets be honest the chances of us grabbing it at the death are slim to nil.

Agreed.  The horrible gets will probably get one point from the last two games to add insult to injury.

Fair play to them though - the pressure was on them and they kept up with the results, even after going behind in three games.  Don't like to give them much credit but with the players they have got they should have had the league sown up a while back.  We've done well this season but we threw it away at home.
      BigRed1978
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,874 posts | 51 
      • Y.N.W.A
      Reply #1316: May 14, 2009 02:57:19 pm
      We proved for definite that we're title contenders this season without a doubt, in recent seasons it's been done and dusted by Christmas but this year we're right there at the death so i think some can be forgiven for 'blind faith/rose tinted glasses' supporting.

JD is right in what he says though about throwing it away at home and particularly against lesser teams who we should've totally steamrollered.

Even if the trophy doesn't end up at Anfield we can be rightly proud of such a professional and above all passionate performance from the players over this season and i say bring it on next year.

Also the added pleasure of beating ManUre home and away makes this 2008-2009 season all the more memorable ;D
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,356 posts | 8616 
      Reply #1317: May 14, 2009 03:09:08 pm
      I know this  little off topic but most of you guys on this forum are older than me and more wiser ad probably better with words ..... I need a good way to tell the mancs on my school to F**k off when they tell me " it's been 20 since you guys won it and you'll never win it  and how is like being trophyless for three years " I know what I want to say to him but the words can't come can you guys tell me some ways to get back at him .I told him that we did not have Torres or Gerrard playing together for most of the season and he says I'm just making up excess . Thanks

P.S sorry for going off topic but I just want to show those manc b***ard theats it's not over and liverpool will come back srtonger next season .

Remind them that it took them 26 years to win the title before they won it again in 1993 and during that 26 year period, them wankers were relegated.

Simple fact is mate, they are scared, they see that dark shadow that is Liverpool FC getting back to what we were, All Powerful and they don't like it, because they think they are getting closer to our record of 18 + 5.
      TNAwrestling
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts |
      • Cross The Line
      Reply #1318: May 14, 2009 03:18:35 pm
      agreed BigRed, we may have let the title slip away, but what an improvement this season has been, it's why supporters follow clubs, to hope year upon year, the current performance is better than last seasons, not causing arguments bout die hards who are born supporing liverpool and those who switch alligences each pending who has the better season, but we have desperatly needed this, 2001 is when it picked up, and it picked up big time, then 2005 gave us reason to believe more than we werent just 6 points for the new all conquering chelsea and still excrutiatingly strong united to pick up, this season saw 11 slip ups, but we fought to the death, and there is no reason for any single person to have their head down in disappointment.

done a double over united, over chelsea, give fergie the worst thrashing at old trafford in his career there, we crushed villa 5-0, done a double over real madrid, plus the thrashing at anfield, gave the champions league meaning again with that incredible 4-4 at stamford bridge that will be talked about for years to come, the 4-4 against arsenal that will be as memorable as the 4-3's with newcastle, the 5-1 thrashing of newcastle, Gerrard winning the writer's footballer of the year award, being the most entertaining team in the world to watch, the performances of our youth and reserve teams and how bright the clubs future looks etc

i dare anyone to say they are disappointed, coz if you are, you aint a liverpool fan, wearing a liverbird on your chest, your a glory hunting tit, this has been an incredible season, and hope we reflect on that on the last day against spurs with noise that lets the players, the staff and the fans that we are proud of what has been a successful season.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #1319: May 14, 2009 04:56:26 pm
      Liverpool for the treble next season, now that i do believe in.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,466 posts | 4591 
      Reply #1320: May 14, 2009 05:26:32 pm
      realistic target for next season in order would be;

1) the leauge.
      2) champions leauge final.
      3) f.a cup final.

that will do it for me.
      Singh_YNWA
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,071 posts |
      Reply #1321: May 14, 2009 11:30:11 pm
      This thread should have been closed time ago as we have been title contenders all season.

Will we win the league? I still believe Arsenal can pull something on Saturday. They have under achieved this season, wenger under pressure..... they have lost 3 games in the last 4...... They can produce a result....... they want revenge as well plus Ashavin should be back.... Uniteds defence were not great yesterday.... If Ashavin plays then im sure Arsenal can shock them..... and if that happens n it goes last day where Hull need a win to stay up.... anything is possible....
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #1322: May 15, 2009 04:17:09 pm
      If it can still happen, no harm in believing.

robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #1323: May 15, 2009 04:35:32 pm
      I predict Arsenal and Hull will beat man u, but will we win both of our games, if so, we WILL be champions.
      clarey33
      • Forum Youth Player

• 12 posts |
      Reply #1324: May 15, 2009 06:34:09 pm
      I agree!
       I'm praying anyway ;D
      McEvoy_LFC
      • Forum Peter Beardsley

• 176 posts |
      Reply #1325: May 15, 2009 06:58:18 pm
      who knows... but even if we don't win the league this season... what a brilliant move in the right directions for us.

Next season is gonna be great I just know it... lets hope we get that BIG name at our club that can make the difference like Gerrard and Torres
      Mario91
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts |
      Reply #1326: May 15, 2009 08:58:13 pm
      NO. I hope until the end, but when it is up to us.
      However, I am delight with this season. We beat manc twice, and the second time we beat them 4:1 at their ground, the biggest win there since 1936. We beat Real Madrid 4-0. Gerrard made his first ever Premier League hat-trick against Villa. He also won Footballer of the Year Award and it is possible to beat his record for most goals in one season. Not only, signed Rafa a new contract, but also some other key players, like Stevie and Agger.
      This season could be our winning season,but we made some mistakes,  manc had a lot of luck and in their difficult moments the referees helped them (Bolton; Blacburn-h,a; Tottenham;etc). So we will have to wait again, but it really looks like we have laid the foundations for the next season, as Skrtel said.

who knows... but even if we don't win the league this season... what a brilliant move in the right directions for us.

Next season is gonna be great I just know it... lets hope we get that BIG name at our club that can make the difference like Gerrard and Torres

You are right mate and let's hope that Gerrard and Torres will not have injury problems.

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #1327: May 16, 2009 12:13:48 am
      Guess the true answer about whether we are still contenders or not will be decided very, very soon. But regardless of the outcome, this has been what we wanted, we wanted to be contenders and usually we are for a short period of time but this season we have pushed and fought tooth and nail right until then end but United had their luck at the worst possible time from our perspective because 25 out of 27 league points, well thats great but even with 27 out of 27 we still wouldn't be top.

We have proven that we have the squad to win it because if we can amount this many points with Torres and Gerrard only starting 12 league games together, just imagine how many we would have had they been fit all season. IMO we would have won it at the beginning of May.

If United equal our total of 18 this weekend then I will obviously be very disappointed but not half as disappointed as if we came 3rd or 4th or fell out of the race a few months back. The team have done themselves proud and we couldn't have asked for much more than what they have given throughout the league campaign this season. We have seen players like Yossi only playing a bit part role at the start of the season and ending up with reports about them wanting to leave, to becoming vital to our push and becomming an integral part.

If any Liverpool fan says they are disappointed with not winning the league and we should have done a lot better then well they are not a true red because our aim at the start of the season apart from obviously winning it was to push whoever was at the top all the way and that is exactly what we have done!

Come on Arsenal and Hull, beat them Mancs!!
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #1328: May 16, 2009 04:50:58 am
      ^^^ Sums up my feelings very well mate.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #1329: May 16, 2009 06:59:14 am
      We can still believe for the next few hours and if our luck turns and the mancs end up losing, it's back on, I can't imagine going to play on the pitch at Hull will make it easy, we had a little trouble on it, so to have to go their and win or draw wont be easy. Fingers crossed for an Arsenal win today.....
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,308 posts | 2852 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #1330: May 16, 2009 10:07:11 am
      As much as  I hate utd its hard not to admit there the one side you would be sure will pick up the 1 point they need from 2 games.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,828 posts | 6776 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #1331: May 16, 2009 10:39:20 am
      As much as  I hate utd its hard not to admit there the one side you would be sure will pick up the 1 point they need from 2 games.

I pray that you are wrong for a change Brian  ;)
      When
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 130 posts | -5 
      Reply #1332: May 16, 2009 10:45:25 am
      NO. I hope until the end, but when it is up to us.
      However, I am delight with this season. We beat manc twice, and the second time we beat them 4:1 at their ground, the biggest win there since 1936. We beat Real Madrid 4-0. Gerrard made his first ever Premier League hat-trick against Villa. He also won Footballer of the Year Award and it is possible to beat his record for most goals in one season. Not only, signed Rafa a new contract, but also some other key players, like Stevie and Agger.
      This season could be our winning season,but we made some mistakes,  manc had a lot of luck and in their difficult moments the referees helped them (Bolton; Blacburn-h,a; Tottenham;etc). So we will have to wait again, but it really looks like we have laid the foundations for the next season, as Skrtel said.

You are right mate and let's hope that Gerrard and Torres will not have injury problems.

i am 100 agree with you.
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 629 posts | 60 
      Reply #1333: May 16, 2009 11:21:29 am
      Its not over until its over, Arsenal have Ashavin back,and they will be up for it,but if we do fall a little short this season,one thing is certain,the tide is turning.

Quick Reply