Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 3rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P23 W10 D5 L8

Rafa hinting at 3-man defence?

Read 1539 times
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Rafa hinting at 3-man defence?
      Aug 23, 2008 06:06:53 pm
      Quote from: Liverpoolfc.tv
      Rafa Benitez praised the spirit of his players following their remarkable comeback against Middlesbrough – claiming Liverpool would not have taken all three points in similar circumstances last term.
      The Reds trailed 1-0 with five minutes remaining before Jamie Carragher and Steven Gerrard saved the day with unstoppable strikes at the Kop end.

Benitez said: "Carragher was amazing, because normally he isn't a great finisher. After that Gerrard showed his quality too even though he isn't 100 per cent fit – he can change games.

"The team showed its winning mentality. This is the kind of determination we want to see for the rest of the season.

"Last season we were drawing or losing these kind of games at home, so it was important that we won. It sends a positive message to the fans, who were maybe thinking about last season.

"We did it the hard way. I was pleased in the first 15 minutes because we were creating chances but after that we did not play well and they were controlling our attacks.

"They scored a good goal and were on top of us. I thought it would be difficult but we changed – we played with three defenders and that was the key."

Carragher's goal on 85 minutes took a wicked deflection off Emanuel Pogatetz, with some news agencies crediting the 'Boro man with an OG.

Benitez added: "I think Carra will claim it. Sami was joking with him, saying it was a deflection, but at the end of the day we won and that's the most important thing."

Does anyone think we'd get away with playing with 3 defenders every match? I highly doubt it, although I'm not sure if Rafa is saying it was the key for this match only, or for the future ...

What do you think?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,301 posts | 2845 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Rafa hinting at 3-man defence?
      Reply #1: Aug 23, 2008 06:13:56 pm
      It would depend on who plays the 2 wide positions in midfield. They would need to work hard at going forward and getting back and at least one of the centre halfs would need to be happy to come forward but in Agger we have this
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #2: Aug 23, 2008 06:25:56 pm
      Three defenders i dont think so.
      Mario91
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts |
      Reply #3: Aug 23, 2008 06:27:05 pm
      I think that for the situation we were ,this was a very good decision. But I don't think this formation will be good enough for every game. Rafa said that was the key - for this game not for the future.

Sry for bad english
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #4: Aug 23, 2008 06:28:37 pm
      IMO Skrtel will be a more offensive player this season, he came middle of the on going season last year, and he didn't have a good debut, which put him on the backfoot and he ended up only concentrating on his defensive role. This season I think we will be able to watch his attacking play as well. we really underrate Skrtel comparison to Agger. Don't get me wrong, Agger is a great player, but my modest opinion is that Skrtel will be a better player then Agger when he has fully settled.
      « Last Edit: Aug 23, 2008 06:59:34 pm by ayrton77 »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,658 posts | 6953 
      Reply #5: Aug 23, 2008 09:08:26 pm
      Three defenders i dont think so.

Skrtel, Carra, Agger - hmm possible.

However such a system depends on having two sh*t hot wingers.  We haven't got any.

We are the 'wingless wonders'.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #6: Aug 23, 2008 09:52:43 pm
      I doubt it, like JD said we have'nt got any sh*t hot wingers that are needed for that line up and also we have too many defenders and it would be leaving too many out and it would just make the players unhappy.
      koolkidda
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,007 posts | 41 
      Reply #7: Aug 24, 2008 12:22:11 pm
      Bit much to suggest from that quote that we are going to play with 3 defenders.

Quick Reply