Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 3rd of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W3 D0 L0

Ten years time for LFC

Read 2818 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Ten years time for LFC
      Aug 21, 2008 01:27:26 am
      Ten years ago we were on the dawn of a new era and a change from the boot room ethic. What followed was some decent success in playing staff, new ideas and a few trophies, it has to be said.

Although for the large majority of this time, things didn't seem as unsteady upstairs as they do lately.

I'm thankful that we've remained there or there abouts on the pitch because things could have been a whole lot different if it hadn't been for a few really good talents in our team along with some solid defending.

There's no doubt that football has evolved both on the pitch and off it in the last ten years and every year from now on, you know the bar will be raised.

So compared to the last ten years, how do we see the next ten years?

It's all too easy to blame everything on the owners we have now and I know it makes things a lot more distorted to try look forward. But we still have the same manager who's been here for a few seasons and things have improved at all levels.

What's our destiny?

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Re: Ten years time for LFC
      Reply #1: Aug 21, 2008 02:17:22 am
      IMO its too hard to predict our destiny and thats the same with most other teams too, the way its going Chelsea, United, Barca and Real Madrid could well end up ruining the beautiful game because of the amount of money they are splashing out.

Some of my Key things that could well happen:

- I think over the next 10 years we will see Pacheco become a great player and the youngsters come out of their shell and start to dominate, they have proven what they are capable of.

- I think we will still have relatively low funds because I think that there will be huge financial problems soon if the Yanks dont leave soon and are still here in a few years.

- Gerrard and Carragher get their coaching qualifications and become Manager and Assistant (depending on whether Rafa is still there)

- Also I get the feeling we still wont have our stadium built by then :D

On the trophy front I think we could well have won a few league titles over that period of time along with 2 or 3 more Chmapions leagues, few more F.A Cups etc and we will still be part of the big 4 except I think it will become big 3 with Arsenal dropping out.

(kenny why did you do a thread with a question like this at this sort of time in the morning? its so much harder to think about that sort of stuff properly :D :D)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #2: Aug 21, 2008 08:39:47 am
      Firstly the days of one team dominating the Premiership year on year for any team I think are over.  The opening up of the Champions League to four sides for instance has split the prestige four ways.

The money in the game means that fantastic players no longer feel obliged to sign for the fantastic teams and can be swerved by the pound signs.

Our future?  I see it without Rafa regrettably, and I pray that it is without the three idiots running our little village shop.  A new stadium is desperately needed to satisfy our huge fanbase.  We really can't have the Newcastles and Sunderlands of this world having larger stadiums than us.

On the field - our crop of youngsters gives me great hope.  Pacheco and Nemeth both look promising - Torres is only 23 as is Mascherano. We will always be a top four side in my book, and I believe that with a little addition of class here and there we are more than capable of landing the Premiership title.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,150 posts | 3385 
      Reply #3: Aug 21, 2008 12:46:32 pm
      I think the next ten years for Liverpool Football Club hold nothing but success because of the youngsters we've got to come through as well as our current side still being young and yet to reach their prime. It'd be a much smoother without the troubles off the field, but Liverpool being Liverpool we don't do anything easy and this seems to be our latest example of doing things with difficulty.
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #4: Aug 21, 2008 07:07:57 pm
      I can see:

*Nando breaking the scoring record of Fowler
      *Nemeth or Pacheco getting a first team run, becoming stars. Also i have a feeling about Bruna
      *I can see us winning more CL's than Premierships unfortuantly
      *Alot of the kids will break through due to a very succesful Carling cup run using them
      *The new stadium will not be built within the next 6 years minimum
      *The Yanks will remain if there is a sniff of success
      *Agree with KK, Gerrard and Carra will join the staff, what roles im not sure
      *Fowler will also join as a coach i think
      *Pepe Reina will be bought by Barca (i had a dream about that for some reason ::))
      *Rafa will be sacked, only to be reinstated due to fan pressure (also a dream :P)
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #5: Aug 21, 2008 09:16:56 pm
      Cracking topic!

- Also I get the feeling we still wont have our stadium built by then :D

Whatever makes you think that? :D

Ten years?

I feel that we will have broke our Premiership duck. We need to do it sharpish, as the Mancs are closing in on titles. I think it'd be a long long shot for them to catch up in Europe, but another European Cup wouldn't hurt! ;)

As we know though, it's not all about the Mancs. Personally, I reckon we're going to win the league and then retain it with the squad that we're currently building. Torres will be the greatest striker in the world, deliveriing 30+ goals a season!

As JD said, I think Benitez will have moved on, sadly. I haven't a clue which manager will be in place but I don't care as long as those disruptive gobshites upstairs have moved house! :D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: Aug 21, 2008 10:31:12 pm
      After hearing that hour long interview with Rafa and his wife Montse earlier, I reckon it would have to be something of enormous catastrophic proportions to make Rafa leave by his own wish in the near future. It seems like the Benitez family really have been gripped by the Liverpool spirit in their heart now and it's more than just a club to them. Which is fantastic. But the truth is, to carry on being the Liverpool manager, Rafa will know himself that he has to bring some sort of sustained success to our club.

If he could land the title for us - which I believe he is capable of doing if he's backed - then in ten years time I feel seeing him in the dugout isn't out of the question. But I admit it's not looking very likely the way things are these days. Whether it be more treachery from the clowns above, or depriving Rafa of the tools to build the team he wants with one ridiculous transfer saga too many.

As for a new stadium, I'm very sceptical about us having one in the next five years unless there is change in ownership. As things stand, in ten years time maybe, yes. But I dread to think how much more debt we'll be in if that's the case. It's clear we have to have a new stadium to keep up with the ever improving standards of others around us.

Thank goodness that we have some very good young players in the current first team set up and players in the ranks, because that makes the next ten years seem very encouraging where pitch matters are concerned. And a lot of this is down to Rafa.

Obviously I'd love to see us lift the title once again soon. We're not that far away from it. As it's already been mentioned, a bit of added class here and there will bring it home. I'm sure there will be a few cups along the way too.

Things would seem a lot clearer if off pitch matters weren't so pathetically muddled up. But I'm optimistic.

I hope George Sephton is still playing his tunes and making announcements in ten years time too.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #7: Aug 21, 2008 10:33:03 pm
      In ten years time,

Rafa  gets the go ahead to buy 38yr old Gareth Barry on a pay as you play contract.

Voronin will just be coming to the end of a ridiculously long contract.

Goodison  will be Liverpools overflow car park.

Sperm will be eligible to join the season ticket waiting list.

George Sephton will be discovered bricked in his DJ booth at old Anfield  still playing cack music.

Jester hats and LFC shop bags are made compulsory at the new stadium after ‘clear the air talks’ are held with the California branch of the supporters club.

And finally,
      Everton settle in their new ground on the Falkland Islands after the locals reluctantly agree to take them on, the mayor excused himself with “it was them or Gary Glitter”.

Im being serious Kenny honest ;)
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #8: Aug 21, 2008 10:47:47 pm
      After hearing that hour long interview with Rafa and his wife Montse earlier, I reckon it would have to be something of enormous catastrophic proportions to make Rafa leave by his own wish in the near future. It seems like the Benitez family really have been gripped by the Liverpool spirit in their heart now and it's more than just a club to them. Which is fantastic. But the truth is, to carry on being the Liverpool manager, Rafa will know himself that he has to bring some sort of sustained success to our club.

If he could land the title for us - which I believe he is capable of doing if he's backed - then in ten years time I feel seeing him in the dugout isn't out of the question. But I admit it's not looking very likely the way things are these days. Whether it be more treachery from the clowns above, or depriving Rafa of the tools to build the team he wants with one ridiculous transfer saga too many.

As for a new stadium, I'm very sceptical about us having one in the next five years unless there is change in ownership. As things stand, in ten years time maybe, yes. But I dread to think how much more debt we'll be in if that's the case. It's clear we have to have a new stadium to keep up with the ever improving standards of others around us.

Thank goodness that we have some very good young players in the current first team set up and players in the ranks, because that makes the next ten years seem very encouraging where pitch matters are concerned. And a lot of this is down to Rafa.

Obviously I'd love to see us lift the title once again soon. We're not that far away from it. As it's already been mentioned, a bit of added class here and there will bring it home. I'm sure there will be a few cups along the way too.

Things would seem a lot clearer if off pitch matters weren't so pathetically muddled up. But I'm optimistic.

I hope George Sephton is still playing his tunes and making announcements in ten years time too.

Excellent post!

I'd love Rafa to still be with us in 10 years time, and I do hold the hope that some success will make this a much easier to imagine prospect! If these owners are shifted soon, then we can look forward to that!

First of all we need some new trophies for the cabinet. It's what we, the club and a manager who clearly connects with the club deserves.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #9: Aug 22, 2008 12:30:28 am
      Ten years!

Gerrard probably a manager of a club
      Torres a Liverpool legend with No 26 under his belt.
      Pacheco the most dangerous striker in the EPL

Me? Still buying the latest LFC Jersey with Plessis on the back.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #10: Aug 22, 2008 09:24:35 am
      Providing we maintain the system that RAFA has set up with the reserves and youth teams then I believe we have no fear of the next 10 years,Except for a shortage of a good left winger I believe we are the strongest position player wise that we have been for 20 years.People complain about lack of League titles and they have every right but we have not done too bad for tropheys the last 8years.The futures good the futures RED (RAFA).
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #11: Aug 22, 2008 11:55:24 am
      In ten years time:

. We will have the biggest fanbase in the world, outgrowing the Mancs and Real Madrid
      . We will beat Real Madrids Champions League Record
      . We will have our stadium ready and be known with the greatest atmosphere for every home game!
      . Share Liverpool will own the club

I think I might be dreaming here ;D! lool
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #12: Aug 22, 2008 12:18:53 pm
      The reason i was slightly flippant (only slightly) regarding this topic is because the pessimist in me thought how things can go the other way, in 1984 we became European champions for the forth time, we won the league title, we won the League cup.

Ten years later January 1994 we had just binned Graeme Souness as manager after some of the darkest days i have had following this great club to move on to Evans, Houllier and the rest I'm sure you remember, so without trying to p*ss on anyones chips here maybe the topic should be "Where do you dream we will be at in ten years".

Believe me I'm not knocking the topic but if I'm honest i dont even know what we will be doing in two years time such is the instability at board level at the moment, and our current financial situation under Starsky and Hutch's tenure is alarming to say the least.

As i said just trying to put a different angle on all the fluffy nice positive predictions ;D
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #13: Aug 22, 2008 12:22:31 pm
      Yea good point, in reality... nobody knows
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #14: Aug 22, 2008 06:02:13 pm
      Jester hats and LFC shop bags are made compulsory at the new stadium after ‘clear the air talks’ are held with the California branch of the supporters club.

You mean to say it isn't already!  :o

Anfield fascists.
      shikhark
      • Forum John Barnes

• 414 posts |
      Reply #15: Aug 22, 2008 09:41:58 pm
      Me? Still buying the latest LFC Jersey with Plessis on the back.

Pacheco for me :)

Quick Reply