Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

The Olympics 2012

Read 48387 times
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Re: The Olympics 2012
      Reply #460: Aug 09, 2012 05:36:55 pm
      Unlucky Martin, up against the reigning World and European Champion.

He now fights for a bronze medal.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #461: Aug 09, 2012 05:37:06 pm
      Shame, the Turkish world champion just had a bit too much for Martin.  Still, he gets to fight for bronze later on and that was a much closer fight than the last time the two met.

Unlucky Martin, good effort, and good luck in your bronze medal fight.
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #462: Aug 09, 2012 06:13:34 pm
      I wasn't really looking forward to the Olympics at all (being just down the road from me and all that) but I have been totally sucked in.  Some of the performances of our sportspeople have been amazing and as a few people in the media have said, it makes a nice change to see people all over the TV and media and being rewarded for doing something worthwhile rather than just being on a reality tv show.

I think last Saturday night was the highlight for me and since then have been trying to get hold of imaginary tickets for any event.  The ticket site is the worst example of how to go about purchasing something I have ever seen.  If you haven't seen it, do make an account and have a look.  First it tells you there are tickets, you select them, then you have to secondly request them, then the system checks if they are available..... and then inevitably you get a message that no tickets are available.  Gets a bit galling after the 50th attempt  ???

But best of luck to the rest of our peeps still competing.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #463: Aug 09, 2012 06:38:01 pm
      I wasn't really looking forward to the Olympics at all (being just down the road from me and all that) but I have been totally sucked in.  Some of the performances of our sportspeople have been amazing and as a few people in the media have said, it makes a nice change to see people all over the TV and media and being rewarded for doing something worthwhile rather than just being on a reality tv show.

I think last Saturday night was the highlight for me and since then have been trying to get hold of imaginary tickets for any event.  The ticket site is the worst example of how to go about purchasing something I have ever seen.  If you haven't seen it, do make an account and have a look.  First it tells you there are tickets, you select them, then you have to secondly request them, then the system checks if they are available..... and then inevitably you get a message that no tickets are available.  Gets a bit galling after the 50th attempt  ???

But best of luck to the rest of our peeps still competing.

Mate, the ticket saga has been the one shambolic element of the whole games imo.  I'm just down the road from the games too and I lost count of the number of times I tried for tickets.  Nearly ended up throwing my laptop out of the window in frustration!  Mind you, I was selective, I so wanted to be at the velodrome.  Most of my applications were for that venue, and the BMX track, mountain biking and gymnastics.

Still, I've thoroughly enjoyed everything I've watched on the telly and the laptop!

Brilliant, brilliant action from all the athletes involved!
      Bier
      Reply #464: Aug 09, 2012 07:18:26 pm
      That BMX stuff looked awesome today. Dutchies looking good, who knew!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #465: Aug 09, 2012 08:57:13 pm
      Mate, the ticket saga has been the one shambolic element of the whole games imo.  I'm just down the road from the games too and I lost count of the number of times I tried for tickets.  Nearly ended up throwing my laptop out of the window in frustration!  Mind you, I was selective, I so wanted to be at the velodrome.  Most of my applications were for that venue, and the BMX track, mountain biking and gymnastics.

Still, I've thoroughly enjoyed everything I've watched on the telly and the laptop!

The needless culture of bureaucracy in this country is probably the reason for the ticketing failures started by those bureaucracy mad cocks in New Labour. Hopefully it's something that isn't repeated in any future events. I wouldn't say it's taken anything away from an incredible games.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #466: Aug 09, 2012 09:59:24 pm
      Tonight the semi finals men's hockey, Great Britian - Netherlands! You Brits are going down! :P

Lottery numbers for tomorrow please!

That was a proper thumping for our lads, 9-2 :(  Well played Netherlands.  Didn't see the game but the Dutch must have been on fire!  Good luck to them against Germany in the final.  Hope our boys can pick themselves up against Australia in the bronze medal match.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #467: Aug 09, 2012 10:12:25 pm
      Bad luck for Martin Stamper who narrowly missed out on a bronze medal.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #468: Aug 09, 2012 10:16:58 pm
      Holding my breath here for Jade Jones!  Bet our Rushie is too, she's from his home town, Flint!
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #469: Aug 09, 2012 10:32:38 pm
      YESSSSSSS!!!!!!   GET IN JADE!!!!  North Wales beauty!!!!!

GOLD medal for GB!

:clap: :clap: :clap:
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #470: Aug 09, 2012 10:32:47 pm
      Well in, Jade Jones. Brilliant  :clap:
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #471: Aug 09, 2012 10:34:57 pm
      I think that's nailed GB for third place in the medals table.  :clap:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #472: Aug 09, 2012 10:40:38 pm
      ^ The thought of getting third ahead of the Russians seemed a very very hard task but it looks like a reality now! Beijing was incredible for our British athletes but this is out of this world. And yet we were all fretting when 5 days into these Olympics we had won 0 Olympic golds!

That was so awesome from Jade Jones! Nothing like a late gold medal to cap off another fantastic day for Great Britain!

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #473: Aug 09, 2012 11:47:15 pm
      As I thought when I caught the end of the dressage this afternoon, there WAS a horse called Damon Hill in the Germany team!

Well, not the first time Damon Hill has had his reins controlled by a German!
      Bier
      Reply #474: Aug 10, 2012 12:12:10 am
      Lottery numbers for tomorrow please!

That was a proper thumping for our lads, 9-2 :(  Well played Netherlands.  Didn't see the game but the Dutch must have been on fire!  Good luck to them against Germany in the final.  Hope our boys can pick themselves up against Australia in the bronze medal match.

Yeah, seen a recap, they were on fire! Ollie Williams from the BBC tweeted after: This is what happens when you don't give a Dutch dressage rider the gold medal. Their hockey team gets ANGRY.

:D

The GB coach said after that even if Australia aren't in the final they're still the best team in the world. Sore loser, or just lowering expectations for next game? ;)
      red_squirrel
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,131 posts | 15 
      Reply #475: Aug 10, 2012 11:10:27 am

Still no luck although I have basically given up now - similar to you I was trying for anything in the Olympic park, but then was just trying anything to see if the tickets were actually there and ...... I did have a breakthrough.  I actually got offered 2 tickets for the closing ceremony.  I declined as at £1500 each, I thought this a bit steep ;D.  Quite annoying still when I was watching some basketball yesterday afternoon and there were so many empty seats - seems its not the media hot topic anymore though. 

I've been following this feed for ticket info, if it's any use to people: https://twitter.com/2012TicketAlert

Am probably going downtown to watch some of the mens marathon on Sunday am - at least it's free and Locog can't take your sandwiches off you (yes the army were drafted in to make sure people didn't take too many sandwiches into the olympic park ;))!!  I shall enjoy the next two nights of Athletics on tv and hope especially our guys can get a 4x400 medal and Mo Farah can do something in the 5K.

FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,543 posts | 3473 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #476: Aug 10, 2012 11:15:16 am
      I'm in love with Jade Jones. Is there something wrong with me ?
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #477: Aug 10, 2012 11:43:35 am
      The Olympics have been a great spectacle to be fair...

Very inspiring..

In fact I've been so hooked by them I sold my bike yesterday and brought a bigger telly..
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #478: Aug 10, 2012 12:34:17 pm
      Silver medal for Luke Patience and Stuart Bithell in the men's 470 sailing class!  Well in lads! :clap:

Great race by Australia's Mat Belcher and Malcolm Page to win the gold.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #479: Aug 10, 2012 01:34:41 pm
      And silver for Hannah Mills and Saskia Clark in the women's 470!  :clap:

New Zealand sailed away for the gold with Netherlands winning bronze.
      whyohwhyohwhy
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,283 posts | 95 
      Reply #480: Aug 10, 2012 04:55:19 pm
      Bronze for GB's women's hockey team!  Beat New Zealand 3-1!

:clap:
      HeighwayToHeaven

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #481: Aug 10, 2012 05:42:12 pm
      Well done to today's medal winners; the sailors and hockey players.  :clap:
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,340 posts | 2838 
      • Sempre Liverpool

Quick Reply