Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Language and culture barriers = No Prem title for us????

Read 1059 times
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Language and culture barriers = No Prem title for us????
      Aug 31, 2008 08:32:42 pm
      Just a thought-want to see what everyone else thinks.

It is clear that our squad is very multicultural with few British players and only a handful with good english (I cant make out what xabi says in post match interviews). There are many who struggle to get to grips with the language and so.

My point is, that in recent years when teams have won the league (arsenal, united and chelsea) they have done so with teams with a good group of English speaking players amongst the squad either at the time of winning the leagues or prior to.

For example, Arsenal won the league with a very multicultural team in the early 2000s, however this team had been raised by the likes of Seaman, Campbell, Keown, Adams and others (the likes of bergkamp, viera, henry) who passed on knowledge and experience to the arsenal team of the early 2000s.

For Man Utd, the had the likes of pallister, bruce, mclair, irwin who helped foreign counterparts like cantona find their feet and then this team continued to thrive thanks to a strong english speaking contingent (scholes, beckham, giggs, cole, keane, the nevilles) and then after taking a year or two to regather his squad they went back to winning ways with a strong english-speaking contingent still ( scholes, giggs, carrick, hargreaves, rooney, ferdinand, g neville, fletcher, o'shea).

Chelsea, won the league with heavy investment but still with a strong group of english speakers (terry, duff, lampard, wright-phillips, bridge, A.Cole (eventually) J.Cole, Parker) which in turn helped strengthen the squad.

What have we had?

early 2000s: owen, murphy, Gerrard come through but to no real strong english-speaking contingent.

Now: Gerrard, Carra, Keane (;D). No real strength in english speaking players apart from gerrard and carra.

My view is that this is the reason that us and arsenal are falling short of chelski and utd. Arsenal have no real english-speaking players in there squad and neither do we apart from the aforementioned whereas the spine of chelsea and united do - chelsea have much less this season which I think could be a bad thing (still have, terry, lampard, both coles in first team). United still have that stength (Ferdinand, carrick, hargreaves, G.neville, rooney, giggs, scholes). I know some players arent featuring as much (ie. scholes and giggs) but they are still important elements of the first team squad.

Of course it still takes a great manager to organise his players, but an even better one to manage such a multinational AND multicultural squad (ie scolari at Chelsea - time will tell) arsene wenger managed it and he crafted the invincibles of 2003-2004 which perhaps saw the best football in premier league history.

**** We have, spanish speaking players, english speakers, danes, portugese, french, italian, slovaks, czechs, scouse! ;D.****

It is clearly a problem especially when we continue to bring in more and more diverse players every year.

Hope you can understand where I am coming from its just a point of view I hope you all appreciate.

Thanks

Al

maxextz
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts | -13 
      • Id like To dip my cookies in your tears.
      Re: Language and culture barriers = No Prem title for us????
      Reply #1: Aug 31, 2008 09:01:13 pm
      "No real strength in english speaking players apart from gerrard and carra."
      nobody understands what carras on about its scouse not english :lmao:
       its like someone said that they got" more sense out of a baby" when king kenny was giving an interview.
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #2: Sep 01, 2008 06:19:10 pm
      yeah thats true.

but i'm thinking more broadly ;D :)
      DOOLEY
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts | -5 
      Reply #3: Sep 01, 2008 06:20:31 pm
      "No real strength in english speaking players apart from gerrard and carra."
      nobody understands what carras on about its scouse not english :lmao:
       its like someone said that they got" more sense out of a baby" when king kenny was giving an interview.

carra needs a translator down south
      thats not even a joke
      Alastair
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,414 posts |
      • Biggidy Biggidy Boom!
      Reply #4: Sep 01, 2008 06:29:23 pm
      haha, i understand xabi better than carra
      maxextz
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts | -13 
      • Id like To dip my cookies in your tears.
      Reply #5: Sep 01, 2008 07:42:27 pm
      sorry Alastair lad im not trying to rubbish your post but that line about about english speakers stood out, ;D I had to mention carra.
      ps if uefa have their way a lot of teams will be in trouble with their minimum of is it 6 homegrown players?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #6: Sep 01, 2008 07:45:22 pm
      Sorry but no, i dont think this has much effect all the players can speak perfect english nearly (bar carra :D) so i dont think it has a really detromental effect, on the first team anyways
      Pepe Reina
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,480 posts | 14 
      Reply #7: Sep 01, 2008 08:02:09 pm
      Also Pennant can speak English :P

Quick Reply