Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 22nd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P10 W7 D0 L3

Anyone with hobbies outside of football?

Read 8764 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Re: Anyone with hobbies outside of football?
      Reply #92: Sep 28, 2011 11:47:07 pm
      Krav Maga is very, very effective for self-defence, however, it is all martial, no art ;D I would recommend it for defending yourself from attack, if that is all you want (definitely good for women).  It teaches you to immobilise an attacker - and the aggression needed to do this.

However, for a deeper more meaningful and rounded martial art, karate is brilliant, teaches you discipline, character, respect, composure, balance, strength.

I got to lose a bit more weight first, but been looking at taking up an MA for a while, hopefully I've lost enough so it can be my new year resolution. 
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #93: Sep 29, 2011 12:02:52 pm
      I'm looking for some martial arts mate, something decent that I would be able to defend myself you know, Karate looks good but I have a mate who is doing Krav Maga and he told me its awesome
      I looked at that but there's nowhere even close to me where I could learn it.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,972 posts | 5031 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #94: Sep 29, 2011 01:09:14 pm
      Thank you very much :)

I am shattered, ran 4.5km to the hall, then Sensei ran us into the ground, 130 push ups, 100 squat thrusts, 100 sit ups.  Then he graded our karate.  ;D Passed though :) First kyu.  Black-belt next year, which will be a formality apparently!
      Congrats mate, does that mean your gonna change your name to the....Karate Tkid ?
      TKIDLLTK
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #95: Sep 29, 2011 01:11:57 pm
      :lmao: + ;D
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,240 posts | 848 
      Reply #96: Sep 29, 2011 08:39:58 pm
      Krav Maga is very, very effective for self-defence, however, it is all martial, no art ;D I would recommend it for defending yourself from attack, if that is all you want (definitely good for women).  It teaches you to immobilise an attacker - and the aggression needed to do this.

However, for a deeper more meaningful and rounded martial art, karate is brilliant, teaches you discipline, character, respect, composure, balance, strength.

Cheers! I will look into it
      TKIDLLTK

• 8,362 posts | 158 
      Reply #97: Sep 29, 2011 11:37:19 pm
      Karate is certainly not about fighting.

Karate is:

To strive for perfection of character
      To defend the paths of truth
      To foster a spirit of effort
      To honour the principles of etiquette
      To guard against impetuous courage.

These five statements (dojo kun) are recited at the end of each session to remind us to strive for perfection, be honest, always try your hardest, to be polite and respectful and to restrain from fighting.  That is karate.

There are 20 other precepts, but these are not all recited.  Key among them - There is no first attack in karate (it is for defence only).
      « Last Edit: Sep 29, 2011 11:42:25 pm by TKIDLLTK »
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #98: Sep 30, 2011 12:02:42 pm
      If you're looking for another good defensive martial art focused on disarming and immobilising an opponent in the quickest and easiest way possible, look into Wing Chun. I have several friends who do it, and indeed one of my mates dads is actually one of the most well respected teachers in the UK. The Simon Lau centre, if you're interested.
      simolfc
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,165 posts | 22 
      • Thank you Dirk YNWA
      Reply #99: Sep 30, 2011 02:23:30 pm

;D It is not quite that expensive down here ;)

I'm feeling it a bit this morning :) but not as bad as I thought I would :)
      ;D usually around £3.10 where I live, I figured I'd cover it

I was serious though, I'm nice like that

Quick Reply