Trending Topics

Liverpool V Manchester United Match Thread

Read 33586 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,485 posts | 8675 
      Re: Liverpool V Manchester United Match Thread
      Reply #368: Sep 13, 2008 11:45:23 pm
      I tell you what though, I didn't know about Terry's red card, nice saturday all round really :)
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #369: Sep 13, 2008 11:53:40 pm
      I celebrated the winning goal on MOTD just as loud as i did earlier.. Think i need to calm the **** down!!
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #370: Sep 14, 2008 12:28:10 am
      I celebrated the winning goal on MOTD just as loud as I did earlier.. Think I need to calm the **** down!!

;D

as said before, we hardly got any time on MOTD
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #371: Sep 14, 2008 12:46:39 am
      I'm speechless, That was Amazing, Beautiful, I'm ecstatic, every single player out there showed character of a title winning team. EVERY player was amazing, Kuyt and Keane was a good pairing and Riera... my god I like this guy, all of a sudden our width problems are gone. But without pointing out an individual player the whole team and Rafa dominated from start to finish. I'm so chuffed ;D

got a hang over but Im so happy I dont care  :D

:aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1:
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #372: Sep 14, 2008 02:44:53 am
      Its late im drunk but oh so happy what a good day to be on the kop read theough some of the earlier  comments i too was not likeing Kuyt but when you watch the whole game i dont think ive ever sen a red put so much efort into a game man he covers some ground Rierea what a debut hope thats a tate of things to comne also the fans were sh*t hot today still cant talk  well done to all who went today sorry for the speling .
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #373: Sep 14, 2008 02:59:00 am
      That was a great performance and a great result from our lads !!!!!!!!

EVERYONE played their part in that victory today. A few days ago on here I was critical of Benayoun, Kuyt and a few others and I still stand by my opinion on them. But today they did really well, Kuyt should of scored on more than one occasion and the words 'score & Brothel' spring to mind. But Kuyts and and Keanes work rate uptop was absolute immense. Although we did look a little toothles upfront those two hassled and harry-ed and led the line well.

In the first five minutes I thought 'Oh no he we go again' United got an early goal and looked on fire, I thought we'd be in for a torrid day especially without Nando and Gerrard. Then our lads got a foothold back in the game, once we were able to get a little possesion and knock the ball around abit, it seemed to settle the lads as for the first 10 mins our defence were just punting long hopefull balls upfield. Nobody from midfield was showing for the ball until we settled, then Xabi started what was an orchastra of passing for the rest of the match.

Our goal may have been lucky through Xabi's speculative shot, but it was nothing more than we deserve from this lot. Our luck had to turn at some point against the Mancs and it was long overdue.
      From that goal you could see the confidence and belief grow amongst our boys, and thats when we started to take control of the game, up until half time.

Rieira who I'd never seen before or couldnt remember him at Man.C impressed me even in the very early stages of the game when the chips were down. He had some nice touches, played the ball well and looked willing to have a go at Wes Brown while whipping in a few crosses. He had a very impressive debut for me considering the opposition.

Second half Mascha and Alonso owned that midfield and we were winning most of the 50 /50's and second balls, there was the fire in the bellys and both Alonso and Mascha outfought and outwitted their Manc opponents. Benayoun looked willing to get forward from the right to and had a good game, with Arbeloa also supporting. The width that we've been crying out for was supplied by the left from Rieira and Aurelio, with Wes Brown having an awkward day against the debutant.

Both Mascha's and Kuyts tenaciouness paid off when it appeared the Argentine had chased a lost cause towards the byline, but managed to nick it through the Ryan Gigg's legs for Kuyt to get a hold of and lay it back accross the goal for Babel to neatly tuck it into the net. Babel played well when he was brought on, and showed some nice skill and a positive attitude which was good to see.

Apart from there goal Skertel, Carra and Reina didnt have too much to do, although Reina did make a fantastic save from Giggs. Skertel was pretty dominant in the air, which is another area we have looked vunrable in at the back of the early stages of the season IMO and was good to see him make his presence known.

The whole team pulled out a brilliant show of grit, guts and determination which was  of with some nice football at times and the win of course. Well done lads.

YNWA.

:lmao:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,888 posts | 6818 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #374: Sep 14, 2008 04:14:27 am
      WE BEAT THOSE MANC cu*ts, FINALLY

What a team performance, chasing, harassing and tackling...everyone stood up today and that's all we want for the rest of the season and if we play like that(after the first 20 mins)..we could be unstoppable. Even with Number 9 on the bench for the whole Match ;D

You F***ing beauty...so happy, it's like we got this big ass monkey of our back..go on now boys, do us proud for the rest of the season.

Riera what a debut...nice to see someone take on players down that left hand side...what a difference to our play he made. Keep up the great work mate.

Was pissed off all week with my mates daughters comments. Daddy asked her who she was playing this weekend and she said no one important.

As soon as I stopped jumping up and down after the final whistle I texted her and said:

You can tell Daddy you played LIVERPOOL FC  this weekend and you got your arses beat :lmao:

She replied by saying on the bright side we (Manc Scum) scored two wonderful goals today...F***ing smartarse....I said to thanks VDS and Wes Brown on behalf of the LFC, God knows we deserved a Jammy goal against those pricks after all the jammy ones they've scored against us on behalf of the LFC and she said I don't want to talk about it any more I'm drunk and I don't care  ;D

Sucked in bi*ch....

GO YOU REDS  :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpoolwz0: :aaliverpoolwz0: :scarf: :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6: :kop5cf8koxp6:food-smiley-005: :food-smiley-005: :cool-smiley-027: :cool-smiley-027: :cool-smiley-027:

« Last Edit: Sep 14, 2008 04:18:35 am by AussieRed »
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #375: Sep 14, 2008 05:35:59 am
      Spot on Aussie mate, I am going to be happy for a very long time now ;D This is a MASSIVE victory for us and now the rest of the league will have taken note, we are title contenders! we can beat any team when we play with such heart like that. If we play like this for the rest of the season we WILL win the league. Its like getting 20 points not 3, and the lads confidence is only going to grow and our hunger will as well. Such a positive result and without Torres and almost without Gerrard. No more excuses now, we need to play like that every week.

IN RAFA WE TRUST

YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE

:aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1: :aaliverpool2xt1:
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #376: Sep 14, 2008 06:08:16 am
      Sir Alex Ferguson admitted Liverpool deserved to win the game at Anfield because United failed to cope with their physical approach.

In a subdued post-match interview, the United boss accepted the Reds were second best and was unhappy with the way his side conceded both goals in the 2-1 defeat.

“My overall view of the match is that Liverpool were the far better team,”

“They tackled us, got about us and harassed us, forcing us to make mistakes, and we didn’t cope with that well. That was the source of our defeat.”

Carlos Tevez gave United a dream start when he converted debutant Dimitar Berbatov’s cross in the third minute, and for 20 minutes United’s recent stranglehold over the Merseysiders looked set to continue.

But Edwin van der Sar gifted Rafael Benitez's side an equaliser when he failed to deal with Xabi Alonso's deflected shot and the ball rebounded off Wes Brown into the net.

And substitute Ryan Babel delivered the killer blow in the second half after Ryan Giggs failed to deal with a ball on the by-line and was dispossessed by Dirk Kuyt.

“We started excellently with a wonderful ball from Berbatov to Tevez to put us in front, and at that point I thought we were going to establish ourselves," continued Sir Alex.

“But the two goals we lost were absolute shockers; the defending was very, very poor. People will think they are watching a Conference side when they see the highlights.

“Apart from Rio Ferdinand, we did not have one good performance on the pitch. We were out-thought.”

Nemanja Vidic was sent off late on for a second bookable offence after a physical aerial challenge on Alonso and will miss next weekend’s tough trip to Chelsea.

“I’ve seen it and he led with his elbow,” Sir Alex admitted. “But [Jamie] Carragher and [Martin] Skrtel used their elbows in every aerial challenge in the game and there were no fouls given against them.

“We had three players booked and one sent off and I don’t think that’s a reflection of United being a dirty team.”

The Reds' boss will be demanding an immediate response as United look to end Chelsea’s long unbeaten record at Stamford Bridge next weekend.

“It’s going to be difficult but they are all difficult games away from home,” he added. “And if we don’t address the physical part of the game then we’ll struggle there too.”

Drunken gitt!

who ar ya?! who ar ya?! who ar ya?! who ar ya?!
      southafrican_red
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 356 posts |
      • With hope in your heart...
      Reply #377: Sep 14, 2008 08:56:54 am
      Oh I am still chuffed! What a result for us... I hope we can go on and get a double over the scums this season!!! MASCH lad, in my eyes you made up for that mistake you made...you worked your heart out. Take a bow BABEL- what a finish! Take a bow you REDS!
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #378: Sep 14, 2008 09:18:03 am
      Still very very happy this morning  ;D

Just watched it again for the 3rd time on MOTD  :D :D
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #379: Sep 14, 2008 11:24:04 am
      I'd give 3 sub-par performances for a brilliant victory performance against Man Utd
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #380: Sep 14, 2008 11:27:34 am
      Just got up think the adrealin is still flowing either that or i am still drunk, cant say anymore except if the lads fight like that all season we wont be far away couldnt ask for more yesterday there were some faults ie,kuyt,s finishing but he more than made up with the yards he put in well done to all yesterday ,my mate phoned me and said he couldnt here us singing he must have had his telly on mute ,he is a manc.
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #381: Sep 14, 2008 11:32:22 am
      The crowd was brilliant yesterday... for a change! WELL DONE TO ALL THAT WENT AND SANG THEIR HEARTS OUT.

Same again versus Stoke now por favor... it's a massive push for the lads.

YNWA
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • Š Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #382: Sep 14, 2008 12:00:03 pm
      Just got up think the adrealin is still flowing either that or i am still drunk, cant say anymore except if the lads fight like that all season we wont be far away couldnt ask for more yesterday there were some faults ie,kuyt,s finishing but he more than made up with the yards he put in well done to all yesterday ,my mate phoned me and said he couldnt here us singing he must have had his telly on mute ,he is a manc.

Kuyt was unlucky not to score yesterday IMO. He showed improvement with his final thouch I felt, he connected correctly with the ball and got both shots on target - the saves were more luck than anything else unfortunately for him! Van Der Saar just happened to get his hands/arms in front of the ball, but his efforts were certainly better than those of Keane, who was unable to hit the ball twice! His first half effort from outside the box swerved just wide too.

I do hope for him he'll get another chance to play in his natural position - I didn't remember him being so strong in the air either! He was often above their defenders heading the ball down to our midfielders!
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #383: Sep 14, 2008 12:24:02 pm
      Loved the way the lads showed great character and spirit after going 1 0 down after 3 minutes to win the game.Last year we would have lost that game for sure,also impressed with the new boy Rieria,showed some lovley skill and technique.Anfield will become a fortress again,i am sure of it.
      RedWilly

• 9,214 posts | 1646 
      Reply #384: Sep 14, 2008 12:26:12 pm
      Yesterday was a fantastic performance, in previous seasons, we would of allowed out heads to drop after they scored so early. But our lads stuck at it and got there reward. Another improvement from previous seasons IMO is that we didn't show them the 'respect' that we usually do, we got right in their faces and never stopped all game, Masch was fantastic at that as always.

We won the majority of the 50/50 balls, and the aerial challenges, again Masch was fantastic at the 50/50 balls, and same for Kuyt in the aerial challenges, during the game I slated him pretty badly, but having seen it again, he was brilliant, so I believe I owe an apology to him! Sorry Dirk! Kuyt and Keane led the line really well, in the absence of Torres, always pressing in the mancs half, and forcing the errors.

We dominated midfield after the first 25mins, and the mancs couldn't string two passes together, Alonso didn't put a foot wrong, only overshadowed on the day by a brilliant Masch IMO. Riera had an amazing debut, took men on and stayed out wide, definitely the kind of player we have missed in recent seasons, and the way he linked up with Aurelio when going forward was great, although Aurelio looked suspect when defending.

Skrtel and Carra, were superb throughout, Skrtel even went forward in search of a goal!! You can have all the 30mill+ frontmen you want Fergie, but nothing gets past Carra and Skrtel!! After the first 25mins they did nothing of note (same as the rest of their team really)

A really fantastic performance, and all credit to Rafa with his substitutions, he smelt blood and went for it, first time in a while I've seen him go for the win rather than settle for a draw.

Masch my MOTM, made up for his mistake early on and instrumental in our win. Great crowd aswell YNWA.

GET IN!!!
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #385: Sep 14, 2008 01:32:13 pm
      The most important thing yesterday was a win...any win against the scum would have done. The fact we did that but also played very well is a massive bonus and credit must be given to Rafa aswell as the players. He made good subs at good times and we continued to press for the full 90mins.

Thought Arbeloa had his best game in a reds shirt and credit to Reira who had a very decent debut. Keane and Kuyt worked their socks off closing down and the same could be said for Xavi and Javier in the middle.

Even the gin-soaked red nosed tw*t had to concede we were by far the better team ;D ;D

YNWA
      YesEvil
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 70 posts |
      Reply #386: Sep 14, 2008 03:15:12 pm
      Great performance yesterady overall - shakey first 20 mins or so but then i reckon we outclassed them.  we didnt do anything spectacular but kept them where we wanted them.  Riera looked good and could be a strong bet for taking the permanent place on the left.  Kuyt had an absolute bliner and defo had my vote for man of the match.

F****n Vidic should have had 2 straight reds instead of 2 yellows, his second yellow was disgraceful as he just jumped in with his elbow with no intention of getting the ball at all.

Thats my 2 pence worth anyway!
      Bpatel

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #387: Sep 14, 2008 03:32:11 pm
      I'm still buzzing, can't believe we won!!  :aaliverpool2xt1:

What a great performance, and i think special credit goes to Riera and Mascherano! They had an amazing game, and Riera couldn't have had a better debut!! Babel deserves credit for being a super-sub and for scoring the winner as well!!

I hope we carry on playing like this, with the fighting spirit that we have and never giving up especially when we went 1-0 down so early on in the game!! That took a lot of determination to come back and win, and to dominate the game like that!! I mean we haven't seen that a lot especially against the Mancs.

Overall, it was a great performance by the team, the manager and the rest of the staff as well!! And we did all this without Torres and Gerrard!! I'm loving it!!

:scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6: :clap:
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,539 posts | 34 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #388: Sep 14, 2008 03:51:39 pm
      What a difference having a left-footer made!!  Riera for me played brilliantly and the whole team was balanced for the first time in a long time.  Javier was my MOTM but Albert, he was a close 2nd.
      And to think I nearly sold my ticket too!
      DOOLEY
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts | -5 
      Reply #389: Sep 14, 2008 04:16:06 pm
      What a difference having a left-footer made!!  Riera for me played brilliantly and the whole team was balanced for the first time in a long time.  Javier was my MOTM but Albert, he was a close 2nd.
      And to think I nearly sold my ticket too!

dirk and alonso were awesome as well
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #390: Sep 15, 2008 12:28:40 am
      We attacked Man U from both wings and centre at the same time; pulled them apart and tore them. All the lads were so good its hard to pick a MOTM. Kuyt, Keane & Benanyun were a constant threat and nuisance to the Mancs. Riera was amazing. Mascherano has upped his game so high its hard to improve. Babel looking more deadly yesterday.

If we continued to play like this? We will win them all. We just need to continue winning and hope Chelsea and Mancs play a draw & Arsenal lose next week.
      « Last Edit: Sep 15, 2008 12:31:43 am by solodee »

Quick Reply