Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Setanta V terrestrial TV

Read 2277 times
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes
      • Started Topic

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Setanta V terrestrial TV
      Sep 12, 2008 07:27:32 am
      Gordon Brown has entered the row over the England football team's TV rights expressing disappointment millions were unable to see Wednesday's game.

The Prime Minister said supporters wanted to know why many were unable to see the match live, after Setanta bought up the rights for the Croatia tie in Zagreb.

His comments come after days of controversy over how major terrestrial broadcasters were shut out from even showing highlights of the game.
      As a result, the uplifting win was watched by millions less than normal, as many people were unable to see any coverage of the of the game

Support: Gordon Brown wants to know why many fans were unable to see the match live
      Setanta had earlier in the evening shown full live coverage of England's impressive 4-1 win over Croatia.

This is all down to the FA, who sold the rights to the England games.

222,000 watched the game, if it was on terrestrial TV, it would have been in the millions.

Come on Gordon, whip some rear ends. :whip:

king-nando
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 148 posts |
      Re: Setanta V terrestrial TV
      Reply #1: Sep 12, 2008 08:11:39 am
      tbh england aren't really high on my priority list - nice if they win but don't really care either way, just hope our players do well and avoid injury. but the fact i've been unable to see any of the game is disgraceful, at least when sky had the games the bbc still showed them
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #2: Sep 12, 2008 08:38:18 am
      Morning mate

Im sorry but football sold its soul in 1992 when a league was created by a satellite company, Sky waved money in front of club chairman’s faces and they snapped their hands off.

I realise the National game is seen as more important but in today’s cash driven football environment should I have to pay for Sky and Setanta just to watch my club side And then pay £650 quid for a season ticket when quite a few of those games are then televised?
      England are obviously a different matter as the nation is supposed to unite together to support them and so they have a much more superior fan base (only just though ;D ) who cant all get to a game, so with that in mind why couldn’t the terrestrial stations have come up with a deal or grouped together and sorted something out?
      If the BBC for instance had bid for the rights then it would have been license payers money they would have used to secure a highlights package so in essence you would be paying for the right to watch just as you would with  ‘Sinatra sports’ (assuming everybody has a license that is, watch out the vans about! ::)  )
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,218 posts | 3393 
      Reply #3: Sep 12, 2008 02:48:00 pm
      We don't have sentanta in ours and I think it's a crying shame that terrestial telly doesn't have any right to show highlights of the match. It's the same with sentanta's live games where Sky aren't allowed the highlights for football first. Personally I don't feel enough people are buying sentanta and that's why they're putting the rights up so high so people will have to buy sentanta.
      edu_rbb
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 499 posts | 14 
      • En Sevilla
      Reply #4: Sep 13, 2008 01:24:42 am
      I could watch england's match in spain for free.

Things of TV...
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #5: Sep 13, 2008 08:32:38 am
      The best idea is to go with Virgin Media, I've got my Broadband, my Phone (landline), and all the telly inlcuding the sports channels Sky Sports 1, 2, 3.  Setanta Sports 1 & 2 and the LFC Channel and I only pay £50.00 a month for the lot.
      Glenbuck
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,893 posts | 205 
      Reply #6: Sep 13, 2008 08:36:48 am
      The best idea is to go with Virgin Media, I've got my Broadband, my Phone (landline), and all the telly inlcuding the sports channels Sky Sports 1, 2, 3.  Setanta Sports 1 & 2 and the LFC Channel and I only pay £50.00 a month for the lot.

Have I seen you trying to flog Virgin Media on a stand at Great'y market Smiggs?
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #7: Sep 13, 2008 08:38:21 am
      Have I seen you trying to flog Virgin Media on a stand at Great'y market Smiggs?

Tell you what Glenbuck, I could do that no problem !!  And no, thats not my new job  :lmao:
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #8: Sep 13, 2008 12:34:22 pm
      Im not bothered what channel England are on to be honest because I probably would'nt watch it anyway but if I do watch then its only to support Stevie G.

If people are that bothered about watching England then they will jut get Setenta because it is'nt actually that expensive in comparison with some other channels they probably have.

I would much rather see Liverpool win the league on the bbc  than England win the world cup

I'm following my Maltese origins this world cup but they are'nt on any channel!
      DOOLEY
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts | -5 
      Reply #9: Sep 14, 2008 05:42:57 pm
      cant afford setanta
      its a disgrace how BBC dont have the england games
      DOOLEY
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 209 posts | -5 
      Reply #10: Sep 14, 2008 05:44:00 pm
      i wanna watch the finland games as well but never has it been on apart from when they play england
      spacecowboy-red
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #11: Sep 15, 2008 06:31:19 pm
      Am i wrong in thinking that sky are a shareholder in Setanta, and its a quick way to extrect a tenner a month extra out of us sports fans?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #12: Sep 15, 2008 10:40:31 pm
      Am I wrong in thinking that sky are a shareholder in Setanta, and its a quick way to extrect a tenner a month extra out of us sports fans?

It would'nt surprise me
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #13: Sep 16, 2008 04:01:42 pm
      ive got setanta for free from virgin.

apparently you can get some sort of cheat box for virgin, fitted n everything for £110     then you get everything for nothing,  although you may need to run a firmware update now and again
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,270 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #14: Sep 16, 2008 05:38:04 pm
      This fuss is only because we won!!! If we'ed lost, then Setanta would have been praised for doing us a service.
      Eem
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #15: Sep 16, 2008 10:27:29 pm
      Having got Setanta, I could see the match, but it's dreadful for those who don't have it. Not everyone can afford digital TV and to put national matches on digi TV is alienating a large portion of the market.

So, absolutely, all England matches should be on terrestrial TV.
      IrishP
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #16: Sep 17, 2008 01:04:30 pm
      Competitive internationals should all be on terrestrial tv. In Ireland the government actually intervened after, as far as I know, the FAI did a similar deal with Sky
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #17: Sep 17, 2008 03:52:33 pm
      Similar with England, but that is only for Home International fixtures, these are shown on ITV, whereas the away fixtures, were on Sky but are now on Setanta!!

Good luck to Celtic as well IrishP

Quick Reply