Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Beat Man Utd then drew to Stoke. Gloss taken away?

Read 4465 times
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Beat Man Utd then drew to Stoke. Gloss taken away?
      Sep 26, 2008 10:10:08 am
      That match we had against Manchester United was brilliant. How we went behind and came back to win the game 2 - 1 was just brilliant. But then a week later we go and draw to Stoke City in our own back yard, possibly the worst team in the Premiership. When we beat teams like Manchester United you'd expect us to be nearly anyone, especially the sh*te teams.

Do these kind of results not take the gloss of our wins against teams like Man Utd, Chelsea etc?

I'm not moaning, I'm just seeing what you might think about these kind of situations as to me they can be quite dissapointing. We really need to win the trophy this season and beating Man Utd was a sign we could do it but then drawing to stoke tells me it could be the same old story again.

We've got the team to win the Premiership, we've proved that in certain games. Now we have to convince everyone by winning the title itself.
      haydzrox
      • Forum David Johnson

• 244 posts |
      • Justice for the 96
      Re: Beat Man Utd then drew to Stoke. Gloss taken away?
      Reply #1: Sep 26, 2008 10:25:37 am
      You have a great point there Ra Ra, i hope that this doesn't continue throughout the season.
      The main matches have to be won aswell as the 'easy' matches but we cant underestimate the easy matches.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #2: Sep 26, 2008 10:27:14 am
      In my opinion any win against the top 4 or five clubs are good ones ,against the scum BEST EVER !
      Yes we drew against Stoke in our own back yard but Fulham beat the gunners in their's and the Geordies held the scum remember !
      thats two top teams dropping points, we've only had one poor result so far in the league ( against Stoke ) we got two great victories against Sunderland and Boro, we were letting points drop againts the lesser teams last year and also losing to the likes of scumchester, this season we're grinding out the results against the likes of Boro and Sunderland and also taking the points away from the top teams !
      F.F.S. we're still unbeaten ! joint second in the league and we've already spent longer at the top of the table this season than the whole of last ! (i think )
      come on you reds !
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #3: Sep 26, 2008 10:33:10 am
      Unfortunately, sometimes you've just got to say 'Sh*t happens'.

We were pretty poor for the first 20 minutes against Manure but then outplayed them for the rest of the game - deservedly winning.
      Stoke was a game of what-ifs.  What if Gerrards goal had been given?  What if Torres and Gerrard hadn't been previously injured and were totally match fit?  What if Keane had scored before this game?

We should have beaten them, no two ways about it.  But, Arsenal should have beaten Fulham, Manure should have beat the Barcodes (currently the worst team in the league), Chelsea should have beat the Yids (the bottom club).  It did take the gloss off our win over Manure but we still got 4 points from those two games and Manure only got 1 point in the same timespan.

We are still undefeated even though we have been playing well below par this season - 70 minutes against Manure apart.

We have got a few tricky games coming up starting tomorrow (it is Neverton's Cup Final) and if we are still in the top 2 or 3 after the Arsenal game, 20th December, I'll say we have a good chance to go on and win the league.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #4: Sep 26, 2008 10:38:02 am
      If it were the other way around, we would be much worse off in the league. The fact is, we stopped United getting points while we gained them and Stoke aren't going to be anywhere near us come May.

Taking the positives from this situation is what the team should be, and probably is doing so why can't we follow suit eh?
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #5: Sep 26, 2008 10:43:17 am
      Thats the spirit lads, I never look at the negative aspects of things there's enough of the doom and gloom brigade about for my liking ! 18 years of greif we've had, look on the bright side for once !
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #6: Sep 26, 2008 11:02:22 am
      Yeah great they dropped points but why do we have to? Why cant we have a buffer over these teams for once and concentrate on getting the 3 points rather than comparing ourselves to other teams on the table everytime and basing our performances on that of other teams.

Unbeaten, big woop! We drew against Stoke and thats not tolerated. Yes its early but thats 2 points we'll be praying for later in the season.

Negativity isnt always bad, excessive amounts of it is but there is nothing positive in drawing against Stoke. We could have been clear out on top but no, we drop to 3rd.

If we are to win the title then these points are vital. We always have a dip in form remember so these points after big matches can shape our season. Remember last season, we score atleast 4 goals in 3 matches in a row plus winning a few more before it near Christmas time going up against Reading and then Scum the week later. Took our foot off the pedal against Reading and there was our blimp in form. What i'm trying to get at is not putting these teams to the sword or atleast grabbing 3 points, especially at home, will come back to haunt us. That loss V Reading led to a loss V Scum and then all that sh*t off the pitch with our club.

We went to the next level against Scum, then come back down to Earth with a miserable result. We didnt take advantage and as Ra Ra asks, yes it does take the gloss off.
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #7: Sep 26, 2008 11:18:20 am
      I'm sorry but we've had ONE poor result so far this season a home draw against the newbies of Stoke I remember losing at home to Barnsley in the league !
      The only time a buffer is required is after the last match of the season we came from behind in order to beat the current league champions, coming from behind to win the league would be equally as satisfying
      Who's shoes would you prefer to be in ours, or the scum ?
      As County_Rd_Kopite say's Stoke will be out of site come the season end, knowing we've take at least 3pts from the scum can only stand us in good stead come the seasons end !
      Nothing will take the Gloss of a win against the scum, even better we came from behind !
      « Last Edit: Sep 26, 2008 11:23:21 am by frizzby5 »
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #8: Sep 26, 2008 11:34:44 am
      I'm sorry but we've had ONE poor result so far this season a home draw against the newbies of Stoke I remember losing at home to Barnsley in the league !
      The only time a buffer is required is after the last match of the season we came from behind in order to beat the current league champions, coming from behind to win the league would be equally as satisfying
      Who's shoes would you prefer to be in ours, or the scum ?
      As County_Rd_Kopite say's Stoke will be out of site come the season end, knowing we've take at least 3pts from the scum can only stand us in good stead come the seasons end !
      Nothing will take the Gloss of a win against the scum, even better we came from behind !

How do you get that buffer mate? Beating sides. Of course Stoke will be out of site, i'm not worried about them one bit but when it comes seasons end and we're 2 points behind the leaders heading into the final round who will be looking back and saying 'If only...'?

Our past 18 seasons have been 'What if?', "If only?', 'Why didnt we do this?', 'We should have won against them!' and personally, while i haven't been around since that last league title i can gather from my time as a fan and stories of other fans that its time we brought that title back and the only way we can is by beating the sides we expect to beat and getting atleast a few results against those who we are competing with.

We got the result against a side we compete with, but we failed TWICE against sides we should beat if we want to hold number 19 at the end of the season, that being Villa and Stoke. 4 points lost now are 4 points rued come May. We need to take advantage of a big result and failed again.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #9: Sep 26, 2008 11:46:34 am
      How do you get that buffer mate? Beating sides. Of course Stoke will be out of site, I'm not worried about them one bit but when it comes seasons end and we're 2 points behind the leaders heading into the final round who will be looking back and saying 'If only...'?

Our past 18 seasons have been 'What if?', "If only?', 'Why didnt we do this?', 'We should have won against them!' and personally, while I haven't been around since that last league title I can gather from my time as a fan and stories of other fans that its time we brought that title back and the only way we can is by beating the sides we expect to beat and getting atleast a few results against those who we are competing with.

We got the result against a side we compete with, but we failed TWICE against sides we should beat if we want to hold number 19 at the end of the season, that being Villa and Stoke. 4 points lost now are 4 points rued come May. We need to take advantage of a big result and failed again.

We can't win every game mate.  All our other title challengers have already dropped points as well.  We're one point behind Arsenal, still unbeaten and have finally broken our hoodoo against the Mancs.  I'm pretty sure most fans would have taken that at the start of the season.

In answer to the OP, it did take the gloss off but IMO it was a freak result that won't happen again this season.  It was just our bad luck that our two best players were coming back from injury, a disallowed goal that should have stood and a striker that can't seem to hit a barn door atm.  As well as 11 men behind the ball, and I'm sure we won't be the only team held by Stoke this year.  Hopefully they can do the same to Chelsea this weekend ;)
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #10: Sep 26, 2008 11:47:21 am
      you only need that buffer after the last match. If, and I quote yourself here "we're 2pts behind going into the last round of games" there will be no looking back as you put it the title will still be within reach, which it hasn't been at that stage of the season for a long while !
      I don't think for one minute they'll be any Liverpool fans unhappy with our season if we're still in the mix on the last day of the season.
      your talking about the 4pts we've "squandered" so far this season as if they've already cost us the title we've not even got to the end of September yet !
      I'm sick and tired of all the people looking at the negative points instead of the positives !
      I'd much sooner drop a couple of points at this stage and get them back later on than lose them at the end of the season and it cost us the title.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #11: Sep 26, 2008 11:54:58 am
      you only need that buffer after the last match. If, and I quote yourself here "we're 2pts behind going into the last round of games" there will be no looking back as you put it the title will still be within reach, which it hasn't been at that stage of the season for a long while !
      I don't think for one minute they'll be any Liverpool fans unhappy with our season if we're still in the mix on the last day of the season.
      your talking about the 4pts we've "squandered" so far this season as if they've already cost us the title we've not even got to the end of September yet !
      I'm sick and tired of all the people looking at the negative points instead of the positives !
      I'd much sooner drop a couple of points at this stage and get them back later on than lose them at the end of the season and it cost us the title.

Stoke is an assured 3 points, we cant deny it. Villa we screwed up bad, we (Rafa) settled for a point when 3 were on the table to take.

I'm not saying we have to win every game but when the points are there, we have to take them.
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #12: Sep 26, 2008 11:58:56 am
      We can't win every game mate.  All our other title challengers have already dropped points as well.  We're one point behind Arsenal, still unbeaten and have finally broken our hoodoo against the Mancs.  I'm pretty sure most fans would have taken that at the start of the season.

In answer to the OP, it did take the gloss off but IMO it was a freak result that won't happen again this season.  It was just our bad luck that our two best players were coming back from injury, a disallowed goal that should have stood and a striker that can't seem to hit a barn door atm.  As well as 11 men behind the ball, and I'm sure we won't be the only team held by Stoke this year.  Hopefully they can do the same to Chelsea this weekend ;)

Quite right.  As a poster who does remember the last time we won the league as well as all of the 80s and most of the 70s I can assure Crouchino that we didn't win every week back then either.  We dropped points against teams we should have beaten easily.

By the reckoning that we should beat these teams if we want to win the title, Arsenal, Chavs and Manure won't win it either going by the results against the current bottom two and Fulham.

Just look at it for what it was - a fluke result.  A disallowed goal, top players not 100% fit and rying to break down 12 men (inc the one in black).  Hopefully, all the other title contenders will suffer a similar fate this season.
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #13: Sep 26, 2008 12:34:09 pm
      By the reckoning that we should beat these teams if we want to win the title, Arsenal, Chavs and Manure won't win it either going by the results against the current bottom two and Fulham..

Kudos for your logic, sir.

If you can't win the title dropping points against crap sides, then no-one can win the title.

As it stands, I'd rather be in our position than Man United's. Granted they'll improve, but so can we.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #14: Sep 26, 2008 12:49:26 pm
      If we'd beaten Stoke we would be sitting on top of the league now and I would be cock-a-hoop.

So has drawing with Stoke taken some of the gloss off the Man U win?

Yes I'm afraid it has. 

I don't care what anyone else is doing I just want us to win. 

I can honestly say that drawing or losing to anyone is a bit of a downer for me.  Always has been always will be.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #15: Sep 26, 2008 12:52:12 pm
      Ok, when we beat Scum and are buzzing, we have to beat Stoke. Simple. When they are only defending and not attacking, yes they had 11 men behind the ball, but we have to get that goal. We had our chances and didnt take them. These are the matches we have to win if we are to say 'We have improved'.

Fulham actually attacked Arsenal and won. They didnt sit back for 90 minutes trying to defend a 0-0 draw.

Newcastle attacked Scum and got their goal.

Both these teams actually tried ot get something out of the game and did, Stoke sat their waiting to be broken and nothing.

I know for fact that people were looking back saying that games against Birmingham, Man City etc etc were key games we should have won, why? Because we had all the attacking prowess and the chances. I see no difference between those matches and Stoke because we did all the attacking and nothing. Look were we finished then because of matches we didnt take advantage of.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #16: Sep 26, 2008 01:01:52 pm
      Drawing to Stoke hasn't taken the gloss off the United win (for me anyway) because they're two different matches. Yes we probably should of beaten Stoke and most times we would, it was just one of those games. After the game I was pissed off and was fuming inside but time has moved on and we must to. We can't be sitting here moaning about dropped points, all we can do is put it right on Saturday.

That to me will be the biggest sign that we've moved on from last year. I would probably be expecting another draw this time last year after dropping points to a "lesser" team shall we say. This year it's vital we don't go on a run of four or five games without a win. We need to put it right instantly. We did after the Villa game by beating United, now we have to do the same for Stoke by beating Everton.

Still dropped points to Stoke don't dampen any spirits in relation to the United win (although the amount of coverage after that win was so minimal you wouldn't know we did win) because of how special that win was against United. It give us a bit of breathing space to allow us to afford the odd slip up, granted not many expected it to be against Stoke, but we gave ourselves that luxery. United don't have that luxery of dropping points because they're playing catch up (something we're used to doing) so for me the gloss hasn't been taken away.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,131 posts | 3377 
      Reply #17: Sep 26, 2008 01:05:24 pm
      Ok, when we beat Scum and are buzzing, we have to beat Stoke. Simple. When they are only defending and not attacking, yes they had 11 men behind the ball, but we have to get that goal. We had our chances and didnt take them. These are the matches we have to win if we are to say 'We have improved'.

Fulham actually attacked Arsenal and won. They didnt sit back for 90 minutes trying to defend a 0-0 draw.

Both these teams actually tried ot get something out of the game and did, Stoke sat their waiting to be broken and nothing.

I know for fact that people were looking back saying that games against Birmingham, Man City etc etc were key games we should have won, why? Because we had all the attacking prowess and the chances. I see no difference between those matches and Stoke because we did all the attacking and nothing. Look were we finished then because of matches we didnt take advantage of.

Crouchy I understand what you're saying and yes we should be beating these teams but football isn't that simple. Some times you just have off days. To show signs of improvement we must move on quickly from that draw and not turn it into three, four or even five draws. It was disappointing we didn't take our chances, but that's the beauty of football that smaller sides can come to places like Anfield and pick up results. That's why so many people love this game because so often it's unpridictable.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #18: Sep 26, 2008 01:05:44 pm
      The problem is which some people don't understand is, even though arsenal and chelsea and united are dropping points, doesnt mean we can accept to drop points at the same time either.

On paper chelsea and united have stronger teams, so while they are dropping the points isn't it vital that we make the most out of situation by winning as many games as possible? That way we could have given ourselfs the headstart and a good mental belief around the team that the title would be possible.

Villa and Stoke should have been an easy extra 4 points, especially with the way they performed on the days. We can't accept loss of points just because our contenders have done the same. I'm not trying to bring gloom and doom to these forums I'm just trying to make a clear point that we are not doing good enough to be title contenders right now. When we start losing vital points later on in the season you'll be thinking, if only we beat the teams like stoke and villa...

I hope just that if we beat Everton in a potentially fantastic game tommorow, we don't go and take the gloss of that win by dropping points the weekend after.
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #19: Sep 26, 2008 01:20:09 pm

It's easier to score against teams who come out and have a go. It's much harder if they pack the area and don't move. I'd rather all teams had a go at us at Anfield so we could have some space.

I mean, Staeau Bucherast beat Barca in the 1986 European Cup Final simply by playing for a goalless draw and taking it to penalties.
      The Invisible Man
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 352 posts | 18 
      Reply #20: Sep 26, 2008 01:22:08 pm

Kudos for your logic, sir.

If you can't win the title dropping points against crap sides, then no-one can win the title.

As it stands, I'd rather be in our position than Man United's. Granted they'll improve, but so can we.

Love how this post of mine solicited the following negative Kudos change:

"trying to create a flame war"

Presumably this is some retarded fuckwit who sees me agreeing with someone in a polite manner as inflammatory because of their own fu**ed-up agendas.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #21: Sep 26, 2008 01:24:45 pm

Presumably this is some retarded fuckwit who sees me agreeing with someone in a polite manner as inflammatory because of their own fu**ed-up agendas.

Ok calm down mate, it's only a neg - and it's clearly given for a reason you disagree with so just ignore it.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #22: Sep 26, 2008 01:31:43 pm

There's a few on here, i dont even give neg's for people who debate with me. Forum's are for debating your views.

Crouchy I understand what you're saying and yes we should be beating these teams but football isn't that simple. Some times you just have off days. To show signs of improvement we must move on quickly from that draw and not turn it into three, four or even five draws. It was disappointing we didn't take our chances, but that's the beauty of football that smaller sides can come to places like Anfield and pick up results. That's why so many people love this game because so often it's unpridictable.

Yeah mate i was on here straight after the game saying we should forget about this game and wallop the blueshite.

It's easier to score against teams who come out and have a go. It's much harder if they pack the area and don't move. I'd rather all teams had a go at us at Anfield so we could have some space.

I mean, Staeau Bucherast beat Barca in the 1986 European Cup Final simply by playing for a goalless draw and taking it to penalties.

I know that, what i'm saying is that we had chances but we just dint take them ala Man city and Birmingham last season.
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #23: Sep 26, 2008 01:44:43 pm
      What is with all the negativity?  Okay we drew 0-0 with Villa, not a bad result considering Gerrard was missing, Torres went off early after which Rafa was happy with a point.  We drew 0-0 with Stoke in a game we should have won, and would have won if Gerrard's goal was allowed.  It was just an off day for us finishing wise, and with a packed defence we didn't really create that much even with the 30 odd shots on goal.  Fluke result for Stoke, disappointing yes, but we have to move on. 

Ohh I forgot to mention we did beat the Mancs for the first time under Rafa, coming from behind, outplaying them once again but with the correct result this time.  We also beat Sunderland and Boro in games we probably didn't deserve to win.  If you look at what could have been with the Villa and Stoke results, just look at the what could have been after the Sunderland and Boro games.  Undefeated, one point off the top and playing sh*te(apart from the United game), just wait until we hit top gear ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #24: Sep 26, 2008 01:46:32 pm
      What is with all the negativity?  Okay we drew 0-0 with Villa, not a bad result considering Gerrard was missing, Torres went off early after which Rafa was happy with a point.  We drew 0-0 with Stoke in a game we should have won, and would have won if Gerrard's goal was allowed.  It was just an off day for us finishing wise, and with a packed defence we didn't really create that much even with the 30 odd shots on goal.  Fluke result for Stoke, disappointing yes, but we have to move on. 

Ohh I forgot to mention we did beat the Mancs for the first time under Rafa, coming from behind, outplaying them once again but with the correct result this time.  We also beat Sunderland and Boro in games we probably didn't deserve to win.  If you look at what could have been with the Villa and Stoke results, just look at the what could have been after the Sunderland and Boro games.  Undefeated, one point off the top and playing sh*te(apart from the United game), just wait until we hit top gear ;)

Thats the positive i'm taking out of this.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #25: Sep 27, 2008 06:34:09 pm
      Well it's good we now beat the blueshite, now lets win our next Premierleague match!
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #26: Sep 27, 2008 07:37:08 pm
      Arsenal lost for the 2nd time in 6 games today.  Kind of took the gloss off anything they did against Twenthe doesn't it?
      Apparently Manure were lucky for the penalty that gave them the first goal.

We still have to hit our straps but joint top will do for me at the moment.

Quick Reply