Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Merson and his pathetic comments

Read 4849 times
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: Merson and his pathetic comments
      Reply #23: Sep 19, 2008 02:11:45 am
      To be honest I think he is entitled to his opinion as is everyone after all his job is a pundit, it would be quite boring if everone just had the same opinion. I dont take what he says seriously it makes it sweet when he gets it wrong. To be fair he does make me laugh a bit he is quite comical, I even read his book  on holiday and he is the first to call himself all of the names that have been thrown about on this topic. I respect the way he has admitted his problems and tackled them head on to make something of the rest of his life. Look at what could have happened (Gazza) so Well done to him. Top and bottom of it is I dont hate him or anyone on Sky Sports they are just pundits and to be honest the biggest Anti Liverpool member of the Sky team is Matt Le Tissier.

He's done well to avoid the ex footballer heap of drunken druggies. But that doesn't excuse his opinions.

He's employed by Sky to give a non biased opinion but he's obviously not exercising that when he talks about Liverpool in my experience of hearing him talk about us.

I think he talks a load of sh*te most of the time, myself.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #24: Sep 19, 2008 02:16:57 am
      Nice one Redkenny, i am of to bed good night to all.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #25: Sep 19, 2008 11:04:24 pm
      He's done well to avoid the ex footballer heap of drunken druggies. But that doesn't excuse his opinions.

He's employed by Sky to give a non biased opinion but he's obviously not exercising that when he talks about Liverpool in my experience of hearing him talk about us.

That is actually a very good and interesting point.

Seeing as the public are able to e-mail in and quite a lot of e-mails are read on a saturday then if people were to e-mail in and say that 'He's employed by Sky to give a non biased opinion but he's obviously not exercising that when he talks about Liverpool' (obviously expanding) then maye he would be told to button it or at least know that he is talking a load of sh*t.

If we are top a Christmas and he is still sayng the usual sh*t about us only going out fo draws then i think Phil Thompson is likely to tw*t him :laugh:
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,224 posts | 3394 
      Reply #26: Sep 19, 2008 11:23:03 pm
      Merson makes me laugh with some of his comments. He's just another one of the "modern day" pundits who thought he was the bees knees but Liverpool never wanted him so he dislikes us. Le Tissier is the same, when he was at his prime United and Arsenal were linked with him, we wasn't. Merson is a Chelsea fan who spent most of his career at Arsenal so it's obvious he's going to have affection for those clubs, I wouldn't expect him to be overly affectionate towards Liverpool just like I don't expect Tommo to come out and say how Chelsea are going to walk away with the league.

Yes he puts us down but so does Guillit, Wilkins, Le Tissier, Lawrenson, Paul Walsh, John Solako, Andy Townsend, Sam Allerdyce the list is practically endless. The truth is Liverpool Football Club is the envy of so many they can't stand any praise towards us. Lawrenson and Walsh are the worst because they F***ing played for the club. So many of these live in the south and the truth is the southern press is only for the south, which is why Gerrard was hardly given a sniff of being England's captain where as Terry was everyone's number one choice. As for Sky they've existed since the Premiership started, in which time United have been the best side in the land by a country mile, so the praise falls on them. Sky don't like to remind people that football existed before them. Plus Sky is run by a United fan, so he's bound to say praise my side or find a new job.

Doesn't bother me really, except when it's ex reds slagging the club off. That's when it hurts. A bit like Collymore's recent comments.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #27: Sep 19, 2008 11:45:45 pm
      Merson is an interesting tosser who is like a ticking time bomb, I bet sky keep their fingers crossed every time he opens his mouth. I look at him and think he would be better off with a party hat on his head and kazoo in his mouth while doing hiccup impressions, (they're not impressions) oops my fault.....
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #28: Sep 19, 2008 11:52:29 pm
      Such a handsome brute...
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #29: Sep 21, 2008 07:39:16 am
      I don't think im the 1st person to notice this but every weekend on sky sports or in the papers Merson seems to have played down any chance of us winning any of our matches in the league so far this season. He clearly has his favourite teams but this guy is a joke he is sooo biased.

I really don't get what is going on in his head but he seems to be the poorest standard of a pundit I have seen in years.

Anybody else think the same or you think it is a pointless topic? I dont mind ;D.
      Why doesn't he go down to the bookies and put his money were his mouth is, and parade the betting slip on Sky?
      and while he's at it go the offy and get himself a bottle of vodka! f***in waster!
      Cheap shot I know, but I couldn't resist it!
      « Last Edit: Sep 21, 2008 07:43:35 am by neilh2105 »
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #30: Sep 21, 2008 07:41:26 am
      Is there something you would like to share with us?
      Timi
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 608 posts |
      Reply #31: Sep 21, 2008 08:57:17 am
      I thankfully (well I believe that is the case from the comments I've read) do not get Merson on the box here, simply 'cos my provider only patches us through to Sky for the games and then bits and pieces of Sky Sports News. However would like to say we also have our own rather annoying Merson types over here, and one really has to wonder what it is about 'Pool that gives grown men the belief that they have the god-given right to childishly mock us at whim!!!
      Never have and never will understand the reason why the guy on any sports presenting panel that supports Liverpool or has an affinity for us, ends up spending much of his time ganged up on and defending us with every inch of his being.
      Its pathetic! Why should Liverpool need to be defended at every turn?
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #32: Sep 21, 2008 09:48:04 am
      Another thing that confuses me and stresses me out even though it shouldnt bother me . . . When Chelsea and Manure get a scruffy 1-0 they get praised and everybody says thats a sign of champions but when Liverpool have been doing it recently we have been slated left, right and centre about it. Plus, whenever Chelsea and Manure draw or lose to a less ability team ( west brom, stoke, birmingham) nobody bothers about it but when we do it, it gets made into a massive, big deal. P*sses me off! Even though I shouldnt listen ;D

Wouldnt hurt to give us praise once in a while is it. Thompson(sky sports news) and Shearer(match of the day) are the only people that praise us for them 2 things
      Shoelessboy
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 314 posts |
      Reply #33: Sep 22, 2008 04:45:16 pm
      Talk about jobs for the boys hey? As soon as he had money problems, in jumped skysports to offer him a job.
      paddywack
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #34: Oct 01, 2008 06:43:44 pm
      Remember him crying at that press conference, that was a laugh...Merson you Muppet.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #35: Oct 01, 2008 06:52:22 pm
      Don't know why we worry so much about what these commentators say
        yes it gets you inside ,but what the f*ck  ,let them say what they want

it gets you  more when a pundit used to play for our gloriuos club and makes   similar comments   ,forgetting what this club gave him

YNWA
      Ally-LFC
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,625 posts | 113 
      • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart
      Reply #36: Oct 01, 2008 10:39:09 pm
      To be honest he does fit the job requirements to be a football pundit:
      Never puts himself out there completely - always sits on the fence so not to look stupid
      Is biased towards Man utd and Chelsea in every game they have
      Thinks he knows everything about football and criticises any manager whose side doesn't win that week

The only pundit i like is Jamie Redknapp. He's not arsed about putting other pundits in their place if he disagrees, he doesn't just nod along with the others :D

Quick Reply