Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 10th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

For those reds going to Madrid

Read 14045 times
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Re: For those reds going to Madrid
      Reply #69: Oct 16, 2008 11:00:21 am
      ::)

things just keep going from bad to worse for us LFC Supporters and especially me....I must be some sort of jinx :-\ sorry everyone.

Hopefully the appeal gets upheld and we can meet all you Athletico fans for some nice friendly bevvies next week.

Hopefully. It's a damn shame putting the ban now.

Did UEFA not think that putting it to begin on a European fixture is going to f*ck up so many people's already booked travel plans? F*cking thick aren't they?
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #70: Oct 16, 2008 01:29:05 pm
      Hopefully. It's a damn shame putting the ban now.

Did UEFA not think that putting it to begin on a European fixture is going to f*ck up so many people's already booked travel plans? F*cking thick aren't they?

With the amount of money that is geting ploughed into football these days I'm surprised that we still accept to be treated in such an way by the so called governing body of the beautiful game.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #71: Oct 16, 2008 02:48:50 pm
      I think UEFA are taking the right steps in punishing Athletico Madrid for their actions but it is a shame they really never thought it through which result in trouble for Liverpool.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #72: Oct 16, 2008 02:56:17 pm
      Uefa to back down over Liverpool's match at Atletico Madrid
      Liverpool's Champions League clash with Atletico Madrid next Wednesday is set to go ahead at the Spanish club's Estadio Vicente Calderon with Uefa officials preparing to bow to pressure from Anfield and the Football Association to defer Atletico's two-game stadium ban until after next week's Group D fixture.

By Mark Ogden
      Last Updated: 7:56AM BST 16 Oct 2008

Atletico-bound: it appears that Uefa will back down after pressure from Liverpool and the FA over the moving of the Champions League match at Atletico Madrid. Uefa are understood to have contacted high-ranking officials at Atletico to confirm that the two-game sanction, imposed as a result of alleged racist chanting and over-zealous policing during the Oct 1 encounter with Marseilles, will begin, subject to appeal, following the visit of Rafael Benitez's team on Oct 22. An official announcement is expected from Uefa on Thursday.

Uefa's initial decision on Tuesday that Atletico must stage their next two European fixtures at least 300 km away from the Vicente Calderon had left in excess of 3,000 travelling Liverpool supporters facing the prospect of being marooned in Madrid next Wednesday.

Although Uefa remain steadfast in their determination to punish Atletico, both Liverpool and the FA had made representations for the two-game stadium ban to be deferred until after next week's fixture to avoid thousands of supporters being left out of pocket by any change of venue.

An FA spokesman said: "We have been working with Liverpool to help them with the situation. We have made it clear to Uefa that the Football Association shares the club's concerns of the impact that moving this game will have on the travelling supporters. We will do whatever we can to help Liverpool with this matter."

Liverpool manager Benitez has warned Uefa that moving the game from Madrid at such late notice will cause 'massive problems' for the club's supporters, but the likelihood of the game being staged elsewhere diminished with the Spanish government throwing their backing behind Atletico's planned appeal against the two-game penalty and £120,000 fine.

Uefa president Michel Platini has contacted Spain's prime minister, Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, by letter to explain the sanctions imposed on Atletico and the sanctions will remain in place following the Liverpool game.

However, there remains anger within Spain at the severity of Atletico's punishment and the country's Minister of Interior Affairs, Alfredo Perez Rubalcaba has insisted that Atletico, and the actions of the Spanish police, will be supported by the government.

Rubalcaba said: "I will defend the actions of the Spanish police and we will hand all the necessary material that we have available to Atletico Madrid so that they can present an appeal against this unusual decision."

Atletico attempted to defend themselves on Wednesday night against Uefa's charges of racist chanting by issuing the following statement on the club's official website.

The statement said: "The chants may possibly correspond to the chants that the supporters of Atletico Madrid sing in order to cheer on their team and their player Kun Aguero, repeating over-and-o ver again the sound 'Kun, Kun, Kun,' a circumstance that may have caused the Marseilles players to confuse said sound with that made by monkeys."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/leagues/premierleague/liverpool/3205016/Uefa-to-back-down-over-Liverpools-match-at-Atletico-Madrid-Football.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doesn't seem to be just speculation. There's a number of similar stories in a few papers.

Ironic there was so much speculation of one man coming over from Madrid a few summers ago. Now there's loads of speculation whether we're going to Madrid! :D
      MsGerrard
      Reply #73: Oct 16, 2008 03:27:51 pm
      Good news all round this, for the travelling Reds  :scarf:
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #74: Oct 16, 2008 05:24:31 pm
      I should bloody well think so !!!   ;)
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,515 posts | 8684 
      Reply #75: Oct 16, 2008 05:58:39 pm
      From Liverpool.tv

Rick Parry has spoken of his delight after UEFA gave the go-ahead for Liverpool's Champions League clash with Atletico to be played in Madrid. 
      The organisation had ordered Atletico to find a venue 300 kilometres away following crowd incidents during their match against Marseille.

This caused outrage among Kopites whose travel plans were thrown into chaos.

However, after lobbying from Parry and the FA, UEFA have suspended all sanctions against the Spanish club until a full hearing of the Atletico appeal takes place on October 31.

This means the game will be played at Vicente Calderon next Wednesday.

The Reds Chief Executive said: "We're delighted at the decision because it means our fans can travel to the game as previously planned without additional expense or inconvenience.

"Liverpool are grateful for the help the FA have provided and pleased UEFA have listened to and acted on the arguments we put forward this week."

A UEFA statement reads: "Following the decision of UEFA's Control and Disciplinary Body to sanction Club Atletico de Madrid for a series of incidents at the UEFA Champions League Group D match against Olympique de Marseille on October 1, the club has lodged an appeal against the decision and requested suspension of the sanctions to allow their match against Liverpool FC to be played in Madrid as originally scheduled.

"After immediate consideration of the request for suspension, and having considered in particular the organisational and logistical difficulties related to relocating the Club Atletico de Madrid vs Liverpool FC match to another venue at short notice, the Chairman of the Appeals Body has decided to grant the request for suspension of the sanctions.

"Consequently, UEFA can confirm that the UEFA Champions League match between Club Atletico de Madrid and Liverpool FC will take place as scheduled on October 22 at the Vicente Calderon Stadium in Madrid.

"It should be emphasised that suspension of the sanctions does not mean that the decision of the Control and Disciplinary Body has been set aside. The decision remains in force pending a full hearing of the appeal which will now take place on Friday, October 31, 2008 at the UEFA Headquarters in Nyon, Switzerland.

"UEFA is however keen to stress that safety and security matters, including efficient cooperation with the police, are of the utmost priority and that there is a zero tolerance policy for incidents concerning racism in football. The match between Club Atletico de Madrid and Liverpool FC will be under particular scrutiny and UEFA is ready to take immediate and further action if there are any reported incidents at this match."

Big up for Rick on this one!
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #76: Oct 16, 2008 06:05:33 pm
      He actually done something right for the club and fans , glad I'm sitting down. So glad for the fans though.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #77: Oct 16, 2008 06:08:15 pm
      Thank goodness common sense prevails.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #78: Oct 17, 2008 01:15:18 am
      Wonders will never cease. Was glad to hear it though.

All we need now is for Torres to be mysteriously healed and score a hat trick there...
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #79: Oct 17, 2008 01:21:09 am
      Brilliant news!

The timing of the ban was absolutely horrendous, and considering they are meant to have some wits about them, UEFA f*cked up big style. Nice to see them swallow their pride and admit they were wrong though.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,903 posts | 6829 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #80: Oct 17, 2008 08:44:58 am
      Wonders will never cease. Was glad to hear it though.

All we need now is for Torres to be mysteriously healed and score a hat trick there...

thanks for all your concerns every one regarding me ....I'm just wrapped this is sorted and I dont have to stress now..so cheers.

Kenny as always you say it brilliantly...lets hope the Torres injury is miracoulsy cured and he plays in all three games I'm here for
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #81: Oct 17, 2008 12:05:05 pm
      Good news all round this, for the travelling Reds  :scarf:

Indeed.  Unless we receive some beatings off the police of course.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #82: Oct 17, 2008 02:17:22 pm
      I can't see that happening now after all the attention of the press lately. Surely not?

AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #83: Oct 17, 2008 10:51:30 pm
      Nah everyone hates the French! ;D

Seriously though I'd like to think it was a serious problem that they will look to stamp out immediately.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,264 posts | 2859 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #84: Oct 18, 2008 01:48:20 pm
      Do not know if this has been asked, but if the game was moved, do we know where it would have been played?
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #85: Oct 19, 2008 11:21:05 am
      Police/press predicting between 5k-7k Reds in town this week - very proud!

You are all welcome to come along to Triskel tavern (metro Tribunal, official home of the LFC Madrid Branch) for a beer and a sing song - party will start on Tuesday night.

You'll Never Eat/Drink/Sing/Walk Alone in Madrid.

See you soon,
      DonRafael
      aberdeen/lfc
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Reply #86: Oct 19, 2008 01:03:41 pm
      Look out for attractive female pick-pockets trying to cuddle you. I got done last year when I was over there with Aberdeen.
      « Last Edit: Oct 19, 2008 05:17:25 pm by redkenny, Reason: All caps removed helpful tip »
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,903 posts | 6829 
      Reply #87: Oct 19, 2008 01:43:48 pm

thanks for the tip...I'll make sure there's no wallet in my pocket....mental note...get scissors, cut large hole in jeans pocket so my old fella can get in there.  ;)
      donrafael
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,645 posts | 48 
      Reply #88: Oct 19, 2008 02:08:14 pm

thanks for the tip...I'll make sure there's no wallet in my pocket....mental note...get scissors, cut large hole in jeans pocket so my old fella can get in there.  ;)

Don't joke I know a fella that had his jeans slit and had his wallet and blackberry stolen... he was a bit pissed mind... but won't we all on Tues AND Weds here...!!

BE(ER) CAREFULL HOW YOU GO LADS.

kunaguero
      • Forum Youth Player

• 5 posts |
      Reply #89: Oct 19, 2008 03:23:48 pm
      hello. I,m don´t speak very well english, sorry. I´m Atletico de Madrid amateur and the wednesday 22 october every football pitch will give back to champions anthem because the UEFA is very unjust with we. The atletico de Madrid amateurs need yours help to do justice as we don´t do nothing, the Marselle amateurs started to launch chair a spanish police because the police wanted  snatch his forbidden banner. Pleased help we to do justice give back to the champions anthem. We don´t are racist very foreign live in spain and they can prove it. Thanks You very much for you attention.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,903 posts | 6829 
      Reply #90: Oct 20, 2008 09:16:05 am
      Don't joke I know a fella that had his jeans slit and had his wallet and blackberry stolen... he was a bit pissed mind... but won't we all on Tues AND Weds here...!!

BE(ER) CAREFULL HOW YOU GO LADS.

Sounds like a wonderful civilised country, I and many, many fellow REDS are travelling too, Don    >:(
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #91: Oct 20, 2008 09:46:50 am
      Come on now.  Somebody somewhere must have a spare and not be going.  Let me know.

Quick Reply