Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 4th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P18 W10 D4 L4

Liverpool v Wigan - Match thread

Read 27719 times
      Hans
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 169 posts | -1 
      Re: Liverpool v Wigan - Match thread
      Reply #391: Oct 18, 2008 07:41:45 pm
      never seen any player who works his bollocks of as much as kuyt,incredible.just hope he starts banging in a few more.

hopefully next sunday  against chelsea...........Kuyt was very popular in rotterdam(still is)just of his high working rate
      Nabil el Zhar
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 132 posts | -1 
      Reply #392: Oct 18, 2008 07:54:22 pm
       we will miss El zhar in championsleague :( he s out of the list.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,703 posts | 894 
      Reply #393: Oct 18, 2008 09:03:08 pm
      I am enjoying Kuyt's glory, He deserves every second of it. He is humble, always praising his fellow team mates. Just happy to see him in the spotlight for a change. well done dirk
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #394: Oct 18, 2008 09:10:10 pm
      Been reading through the posts on RedCafe (forgive me). We were "lucky" to beat Wigan. "The Red Card was a Yellow" ... umm what else ... oh yeah "We'll never be title contenders, Gerrard is nothing compared to Rooney" and our "Bust will be large this year leaving us all feeling worse than last year".

Ahem. Mancs.
      jimbob
      • Forum David Johnson

• 225 posts |
      Reply #395: Oct 18, 2008 09:14:47 pm
      kuyt has been used mainly on the wing this season until today. he has already scored goals for us from the wing which you wouldnt perhaps EXPECT from a winger and today was moved up front and bags his reward for a huge amount of work so far this season. good on ya dirky boy, keep rattling them in. we may have looked a little dis-jointed today but we have shown that even so we still have goals within us. we are proving week after week that we are better and stronger this season. i know we have some great football to play in the remainder of the season, just glad we are doing what champions do and are picking up points whilst playing poorly
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #396: Oct 18, 2008 11:22:43 pm
      What a result! ....... first on MOTD tonight! ;D

We have to stop these results, since I have been a Liverpool supporter I have no nails (well ok so I have never really had any)
      This game could have been a whole lot easier to swallow and I think we seriously need to look at why we are conceding so many goals in the first half.  But I guess once again we have got through it by relying on late goals including the winner from the man of the hour Dirk Kuyt, god this guy is top drawer and for my first time EVER after watching a footy game I am going to have 2 Men of the Match Kuyt and Pennant.  This may sound a bit odd but let me explain, Kuyt was without a doubt our most prolific man up front with 2 classy goals and at least another 2 well saved one of which Kirkland struggled to tip on the bar from 20 yards, whereas you can't deny the fact that Pennant once again was given a chance and proved he still has a game and a half in him with his inch perfect crosses and pace on the right to keep play running as smooth as a baby's bum.

Like a Spielberg movie, it was in the script that Pennant would inevitably set up Kuyt for the winner, proving furthermore how this team can work with a proper winger and Kuyt playing his game where he does best.  The only casualty in this scenario however would have to be Keane who has not found the net in the league yet and cost us twice as much as Kuyt did.  It's a system even the best and most fussy manager has to consider if we want to keep getting the chances we had today and especially if we continue to concede goals in the first half with little or no reply.

As for the rest of the game I think we have to salute the whole team, who once again sent out a message that we will not be beaten and you will have to come up with something special if you want to beat us this season (being ahead at half time just won't cut it) :D I would like to question what the hell Reina was playing at though for Wigan's first, Agger was far too close to accept the pass and didn't even seem to know it was coming, their second however would not have been saved with 5 keepers! Zaki is proving to be quite a match winner prolific striker for Wigan so far and will only get better as his understanding of the English game improves.  Who will start the bidding at £12 M?  ::)

Good result, keep it up Liverpool but FFS stop giving us a first half scare!  :'(

PS Well done Reira for on your first goal!
      « Last Edit: Oct 18, 2008 11:27:02 pm by AJ »
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #397: Oct 19, 2008 12:06:40 am
      It was a frustrating performance at times but we came good at the end thanks to Rafa's midas touch with his substitutions and some grit and determination from all the lads. We have now conceded four goals in two consecutive matches and sem to be drifitng mentally in to this mindset that we need to be concedeing goals early and fighting back from a goal or two down.

I feel for Agger when he made that blunder but I cant help to place some blame on Reina surely he could have cleared that ball himself or flicked it down the touch line to Arbeloa. It was brillant to see also Agger's attacking prowess he sterted tha run outside our 18 yard box and followed it up through the pitch. I though we created a bag full of good chances but needed to be far more critical in our finishing. Gerrard as usual after an impressive international game does not back it up for club he was very dissapointing as were Keane and Dossena.

IMO my MOM would go to Kuyt, then Xabi and then Riera, I am chuffed about our fighting spirit there is something very different about us this year. The atmosphere was great considering the opposition and ffs who is that commentator David "didnt catch his second name" he was a F***ing disgrace and has been anti-Liverpool every time he commentates for us. An absolute disgrace and made Zaki sound like a God walking this earth.
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #398: Oct 19, 2008 12:07:58 am
      have not seen the game yet. as my digivideo was full when i asked it to tape
      but i was made up that pennant played, he really needed a game
      pauLFC4life
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 68 posts | -2 
      • The LFC Love Flows Forever
      Reply #399: Oct 19, 2008 12:16:26 am
      Get in lads, great three points again and yes, we didnt play well but we had chances and we won like champions with another comeback :D

But it has to improve. We nearly f*cked up like we did against Stoke and these games should be easy wins :-\
      « Last Edit: Oct 19, 2008 12:18:53 am by CRK, Reason: Shocking shocking grammar. Feel like an English teacher! »
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #400: Oct 19, 2008 12:30:32 am
      ffs who is that commentator David "didnt catch his second name" he was a F***ing disgrace and has been anti-Liverpool every time he commentates for us. An absolute disgrace and made Zaki sound like a God walking this earth.

Were you watching Setanta? If that was the case it was our own super sub David Fairclough
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #401: Oct 19, 2008 03:36:34 am
      http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/match_of_the_day/7678090.stm

F***ing love it ;D Steve Bruce, bless him, is a bitter tw*t. :D

Dirky deserves all the praise, i love seeing him come out the hero because he works his arse off for this team.

I dont care if people say this was lucky and we can't do it against Chelsea because we have shown we can do it against Scum who are hardly bludgers themselves, we did it against Boro who played out of their skin, we did it against Everton which no matter what the form is of both sides, everyone lifts, we've done it against City who have been brought back from the dead and now Wigan when again we have been 2nd best but got the result. To me, doing it once or twice in a season is luck, doing it 4 or 5 times within 2 months just shows class and thats what we have right now along with belief in the camp and that is what we need to continue this assault on the title.

Bloody Keane though, where was he? I dont want to start a massive campaign against him but he was sh*t. I'll let him slide this time round because it was his first game being the out and out striker for us and had Dirk doing the work he usually does. Head up Robert.

I also hope now that JP has answered back those slating him, i will back him untill the day he leaves but he is our best textbook right winger and does a great job for us. He had an arsey spell but who didnt today besides Dirk? He came back oh so well and did what i know he can do.

Alby Riera won me 500 smackers with his first. I just felt he would score before the match and glad me gut led me to the pot o' gold! :D

A fantastic win, a few shot nerves but ecstatic with the result. On to Chelski where the going gets tough but the 3 points come to Anfield!

YNWA
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #402: Oct 19, 2008 03:45:21 am
      As much as I enjoyed our victory Crouchinho, I think Wigan deserve a lot of credit for coming to Anfield and playing their hearts out. They played incredibly well, and I'm certain that they'll be in contention for that UEFA Cup spot.

Bruce may be right about that first yellow card, but I'd say the second one was a straight red anyway. There's no disputing that.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #403: Oct 19, 2008 03:51:38 am
      As much as I enjoyed our victory Crouchinho, I think Wigan deserve a lot of credit for coming to Anfield and playing their hearts out. They played incredibly well, and I'm certain that they'll be in contention for that UEFA Cup spot.

Bruce may be right about that first yellow card, but I'd say the second one was a straight red anyway. There's no disputing that.

They played out of their skin and to be honest i never expected 5 goals and still dont know how it happened. They have that defence where you have no time on the ball and it has served them so well so far which i said in the pre-match thread and one of the reasons i didnt see 5 goals to be scored.

We were 2nd best and i stated that but to come back and win after being dominated was something i enjoyed to the enth degree, something Fergie would do where he comes out and praises him team which in turn gets the media stating how good they are.

We look like champions and to be honest i'd rather keep winning like this then keep racking up 4-0, 3-0 wins and so because last season we had a run of these wins and it proved to be our turning point when we lost one match and then the run conitnued. The boys are on their toes and are fighting for everything. When we go down, i have the belief and it looks like the players do too that we can come back and win no matter who it is because our best football is to be played.

I'd be foolish to say that it wouldnt be nice to have a comfortable win and i'd like to see one over these kinds of teams but winning 'dirty' and so on like these results serve its purpose.
      Rafa La Bamba
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,895 posts | -157 
      • In Rafa We Trust
      Reply #404: Oct 19, 2008 04:34:34 am
      This sounded like a very impressive comeback!

The comeback kings?
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #405: Oct 19, 2008 07:38:08 am
      I was disappointed with our performance in the first half,we allowed Wigan to play football and they were controlling the game.The main thing is we came good in the 2nd half and got the 3 points and that is what matters.Kuyt played a blinder and deserved his 2 goals and with a little bit of luck he could of had 4.Danny Agger did well after his fu*k up and will only improve with playing in the 1st team.I think Alonso deserves mentioning as I think he had a good game. If we continue picking up 3 points when we play like that it must surely mean we can nail number19.
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3718 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #406: Oct 19, 2008 08:50:17 am
      R.I.P Dr. Karl Chircop You'll Never Walk Alone.
      Are you maltese? 'cos i'm too & he was a big fan of us.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,803 posts | 6747 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #407: Oct 19, 2008 09:20:15 am
      I know the performance wasnt the best but at least I can go home saying that I went to Anfield and I saw Liverpool win in remarkable circumstances. ;D..I had the day of my life yesterday....cant wipe the smile off my face......and I'm not the jinx I thought I was...on to Madrid for me for another 3 points...go you REDS.
      mkj1972
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 764 posts |
      Reply #408: Oct 19, 2008 09:39:45 am
      Watched the game in the pub,credit to Wigan for playing such a open game,thought they would come looking for the draw.Dirk Kuyt has had his critics over his goalscoring record,me included glad he proved me wrong!
      Well done Dirk and Liverpool on yet another heartstopping comeback.
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #409: Oct 19, 2008 09:48:53 am
      First half we stood right off them and largely allowed them to dominate.
      When we did start to run them down we bye n' large showed them up for what they are, but nevertheless they played very well.

The first goal was a total F**k up by Dan but  considering you could count on one hand the amount of first team football he has had over the last twelve months, its aloud!  Then the way he made amends by charging up the pitch and set up the equaliser was truly the single minded action of a world class player, you'd never have had him down as a defender at that point in the game.

The pharaoh (Zaki) really is some talent his goal just before h/time was absolutely sublime, I don't now about resigning Heskey we'd do better smashing our collective piggy banks and signing him!

Second half it was all us, and I never doubted for one second that we would win, full stop. But we did make it hard for ourselves in the first half.

Pennant, El Zir and Reira are all worthy of mention but MOTM my man Dirk Kuyt (and he earned me £120 for the first goal.)
      « Last Edit: Oct 19, 2008 09:56:42 am by neilh2105 »
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #410: Oct 19, 2008 10:18:48 am
      A great win! It's never over until the final whistle.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #411: Oct 19, 2008 10:37:40 am
      Wigan did not give us space in the fiirst half. We were caught on the counter attack when we send men up to stretch their defence. In the 2nd half, they kinda tire out and we had more space to play.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #412: Oct 19, 2008 10:41:42 am
      Been reading through the posts on RedCafe (forgive me). We were "lucky" to beat Wigan. "The Red Card was a Yellow" ... umm what else ... oh yeah "We'll never be title contenders, Gerrard is nothing compared to Rooney" and our "Bust will be large this year leaving us all feeling worse than last year".

Ahem. Mancs.
         didn't the sc*m who said that valencia's challenge  was a yellow ,noticed that yes it was a yellow ,BUT he had a previous yellow  one too
        the sh*te does not know that yellow+ yellow is a RED
        typically a Manc
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #413: Oct 19, 2008 11:55:12 am
      ;D yeah, i mean, that challenge by Valencia has to be a card. Whatever colour he gets he'd still be sent off.

Quick Reply