Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 17th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Liverpool v Wigan - Match thread

Read 27948 times
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Re: Liverpool v Wigan - Match thread
      Reply #414: Oct 19, 2008 01:34:19 pm
      well another amazing fightback by the reds gives us the three points!all very well and good and i dont want to be negative but i will.can any liverpool fan honestley believe that wigan could go to the thearte of sh*te,stammford bridge,or the emerates and not only go 1-0 up but then go 2-1 up.....no neither do i ......... lets be honest if they hadnt gone down to ten men
      liverpool wouldnt of won...but again fair play to rafa for those substitutions when they did.                                                                   
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #415: Oct 19, 2008 01:55:21 pm
      well another amazing fightback by the reds gives us the three points!all very well and good and i dont want to be negative but i will.can any liverpool fan honestley believe that wigan could go to the thearte of sh*te,stammford bridge,or the emerates and not only go 1-0 up but then go 2-1 up.....no neither do i ......... lets be honest if they hadnt gone down to ten men
      liverpool wouldnt of won...but again fair play to rafa for those substitutions when they did.                                                                   

Sorry but I don't agree. No club has a 100% record, home or away, and upsets happen every season. It's not necessarily going to Wigan who surprises us, but every side is caught napping once in a while, whether it be because they are focusing too hard on other competitions, bad refereeing, injuries or just sheer luck.

I honestly believe we would have won the game yesterday regardless of whether or not Wigan had a man sent off. The tide of the game was already turning in our favour, and the players had begun to believe that they could do it.

If you're not happy with the performance fair enough, but you can't say for sure we would have lost yesterday had it not been for a correct red card decision. Form comes and goes, and whilst we're not firing on all cylinders we're still joint top of the table! IMO the other "big" clubs that you refer to will probably be praying that when their form starts to lapse, they manage to grind out the wins in the same manner as us!
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #416: Oct 19, 2008 02:13:02 pm
      fair enough and some good points there,but i thought wigan played very well 1st half where we looked listless,and didnt think they looked to troubled till the sending off,maybe its the years of nearlys thats affecting me this morning(or kronenbourg)..anyway lets hope for another three two victory at chav central.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,382 posts | 2885 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #417: Oct 19, 2008 03:45:06 pm
      3 points in the bag end of story. We travel to Chelsea now level on points with them knowing we are never beaten until the whistle goes. Ive seen enough Liverpool sides in the past play sides off the park but finish up without 3 points. Delighted for Riera to get off the mark and well done Nabil for once again having some impact when coming off the bench. All the Kuyt haters must be eating there words at the moment and for all the pundits who say we are a 2 man team  :action-smiley-055:

Roll on next week it has to be us that ends there home record doesnt it??? With or without Nando i believe we will beat them

On a down side I really cant see a positive about Dossena am I wrong?
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #418: Oct 19, 2008 04:28:43 pm
      One thing is for sure, I think our fitness is helping with these come backs. Late on in the game we looked like we had an extra step in our stride, but of course that comes from confidence too.

We keep that confidence and belief when we go ahead then I think we'll be alright. But sooner or later we're going to have to prove to ourselves that we can play to win without giving a head start - it's treading a thin line.

It's good to know other players can chip in with some goals. But at the other end, I'd like to see it a bit more tight. Three points in the bag and now we can move on to Chelsea.

Big test. But we've got ourselves there to take the test and I'm looking forward to it. Hopefully we can put the foot down on the clutch and change into that higher gear. We can't keep chugging away in second...
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #419: Oct 19, 2008 04:30:50 pm
      A bit frustrated that Stevie G had a great midweek with the national team but was nowhere to be seen last night. I thought that the dismal performance had to do with a less inspiring Stevie, we didn't connect too well. But as always we won it by grit and determination, didn't really need a glossy performance because we'll still Kop it by hook or by crook. Good to see Riera scoring and El Zhar had a part to do with it, surely would boost his chances of playing more often and his confidence as well!

As for the sending off, well serves Valencia right, he was quite a bugger at the freekick, it took us 5 minutes to just take one bloody hell. That his 2nd yellow card sent him off, the tackle was a sure yellow so I hoped he regretted playing the fool during the freekick. Although the way his manager is behaving, he might not.

ow everyone is at us for undeserving sending offs? First it was ghost goals, Rotation policies bla bla bla, F**k off, F***ing sour grapes that's what they are. Manc Scums Utd have won the league for having a diving w**ker and the diving w**ker won the European Best Player Award, that's even worse. GTH.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,367 posts | 1638 
      Reply #420: Oct 19, 2008 11:02:05 pm
      Went to the game yesterday had a few words with some lads behind me giving it the (keano chant) fckin hate that,. just pointed out that he played for the mancs not us they got the gist of it and stopped .At least they knew other songs and joined in ,met some faces off here //AUSSIE RED ,MRS G ,CRAZY HORSE,JOEY, nice to have seen you all, put some names to faces ,wasn.t the best game iv.e seen this season but we got three points and thats what count,s just got this feeling we got something else in our locker this year bring on next week ,,ynwa.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #421: Oct 20, 2008 12:22:20 am
      Steve Bruce.......He's got a big fat head, Steve Bruce  :lmao:  Cruel but funny  >:D

Well the day got off to a lovely bright start, warm and sunny...........Went to the pub with Aussie Red, he was soaking up the atmosphere and I think he had a permanent smile on his face at this point, although he had to have a can of red bull to keep him awake, after the previous night's drinking session took its toll on our Aussie friend.

We met up with Crazy Horse, nice to see you again Jay, and CRK, and Andylfcynwa, it was good to meet you and your mate, Andy  ;D
      JD were was you? thought you were coming for a pint?  :(

Caught up with Venison on the way to the ground, glad you just made it in time, unlike the bloke next to me who got into the ground on 72 mins, having been held up in traffic  >:(...............very expensive 20 mins of footy!!

Anyway match started............very poorly and although I was pleased to see Kuyt up front, him and Keane didn't stand much of a chance with the big guys of Wigan's defence  :(

It was a shock when they went ahead, but not a total surprise, they deserved it to be fair, after we'd equalised, Aussie was absolutely over the moon, I then thought we'd go on to score again, but it was Wigan who went in at half time ahead.

It was pouring with rain, and the pitch was very slippery, they'd watered the pitch before the game as well, then it poured that very fine rain, which soaks you through  :(

I was just so glad that we went on to clinch the three points, again we did it the hard way, Aussie Red was extremely happy and was like a kid in a sweet shop, the beaming smile had returned  ;D

We certainly left it late again didn't we......... We can't keep going on like this you know, we'll get caught out sooner or later.
      Just glad we won to be honest, it was good especially towards the end....when we suddenly remembered how to play properly, and at home  :o

How bad did Dossena play  :-[ he was woeful at times and looks awkward on the ball to me and Pennant   :o although I know Pennant hasn't had much match practice, apart from a couple of really good crosses he did very little else in the game.

Felt sorry for Agger with their first goal............but bloody hell he shouldn't really be making mistakes like that should he? At least he made up for it by assisting in that goal for Kuyt.

It was also good to see Riera get his first goal for the club, nice to see others scoring ............they have to when we haven't got Nando playing.

Pleased for Kuyt, nice to see him playing up front, and those two goals will give him enormous confidence, again Robbie disappointed me, I feel like we are carrying him at the moment, and I hate to say this but, he really needs to pull his finger out, because he's not impressed me at all yet  :( hopefully he'll come good soon, but how long are we prepared to wait?  Does anyone else think he's trying to hard?  although to be fair I don't really think anyone played a blinder yesterday. 

But another 3 points in the bag is all that matters, the test next week against Chelsea will be a strict one, that will show us just how far we have come this season, the way they mauled Middlesborough yesterday was pretty awesome to be honest and with so many players out as well, it's such a shame we won't have Torres playing we missed him yesterday, and we'll certainly miss him next week.

After the match, we waited to see the players coming out........one by one they appeared, signing autographs, waving to the fans, most were pleased to sign and acknowledge the supporters..........unfo rtunately there was the odd one who wasn't so gracious.........Pennant walked out to his car, mobile phone stuck to his ear, didn't acknowledge the fans at all  >:( shame as we are the ones who pay his wages  :f_steam: he could have at least waved...........boy did he get some stick !!

All in all though a very good day, I'm sure Aussie Red will remember his first experience at Anfield forever, was especially good when we sang You'll Never Walk Alone  :)............Aussie Red goes on to Madrid tomorrow, let's hope he brings us luck over in Spain.

Have a good trip Aussie Red mate and enjoy some sunshine  ;)

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,912 posts | 6834 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #422: Oct 20, 2008 09:13:10 am
      Thanks Cas, great match report, now I dont have to do it  ;D

still havent wiped the smile off my face....went down to Carras bar last night after being there during the day...players party last night...waiting for all the players...only Carra turned up, waited another 30 mins for the rest, no one showed but..................... ......I did get a great photo with me and Carra together, shook his hand told him I was  from downunder and he was more than happy to take a photo with me  ;D...will post it when I get back to OZ...just stupid me, forgot to take me LFC beanie off.... :P
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #423: Oct 20, 2008 09:35:50 am
      Another ground out win and another three points so happy with that.
      I thought Agger had a nightmare the pass from Reina should have been dealt with better why he took the ball and pushed it so far from him self only he will know the second goal I think Agger again was too blame Dossena was shepherding the player fine he wasnt going any where then Agger decided to run over there which he should never have done once the ball got passed them and the cross went in there was no one in the center to defend and that was where Agger should have been not running out wide to help Dossena. So critical errors from Agger that could have cost us points but it didnt lucky for him.
      Other wise i thought most of the boys were very subdued we didnt look like creating much apart from Riera who played pretty well, Pennant i thought had a good game compared with the rest of the team, other than that we didnt look good.
      But points in the bag no matter how ugly is still points in the bag.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #424: Oct 20, 2008 09:54:11 am
      I don't know why Steve Bruce insist it was a bad decision, the sending off. True, Wigan played well in the first half, deserved some points but in the 2nd half, Zaki was relatively quiet and it was all Liverpool then. And the sending off, was a sending off no matter what colour card he got.

Pennant was really making his presence felt. His first 90 minutes and put lotsa crosses in and was always at the wings. That's good for me, cause when Kuyt played there, he tend to move to the centre. We lacked width, but Pennant gave us some.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,224 posts | 3395 
      Reply #425: Oct 20, 2008 05:56:17 pm
      Just finished watching the game and got to say I wasn't overly impressed in the first half.

Defensively we looked like a pub team, both goals should never of happened. What the F**k Agger was doing for the first I don't know. First game back or not, you don't F**k about like that as an international footballer. The second was a joke down the left wing. How many chances did they want to clear the ball? Still can't say I see a long term future for Dossena at Anfield. Simply looks out of his depth, he's been here since the summer, that's more than enough time to settle down. Time for Insua to be given a go.

Our goal in the first half was well taken by Kuyt. It looks like Kuyt is winning some of his critics (me included) round again by showing us he has the ability of a footballer and not just somebody who runs. Our other goal scorer has certainly won me round as well. Fantastic play by El Zhar down the left to create the chance and Riera took it so well. On his right foot as well, I didn't know he had one.

Red card - blatant. No arguements.

It's another three points, keeping us up with Chelsea and again we've come from behind to show our character. People are starting to take note of us again. Full of confidence going into the game with Chelsea and we shouldn't be going there looking for a draw. Lets go and try and win for once, lets pull away from them and end their F***ing record.

Come on Reds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      Darth Joe
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 846 posts | 31 
      Reply #426: Oct 20, 2008 06:42:09 pm
      I don't know why Steve Bruce insist it was a bad decision, the sending off.

That's because he's a Manc scum, and the smartest breed of Manc scums are idiots. I don't think he was clever enough though.
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #427: Oct 20, 2008 07:25:58 pm
      It was a nice way to start the day, having a pint in the Cabbage with some forum faces! As we walked up to the ground, Aussie was a bit concerned that the sunny day had turned into a nasty rainy winters one. I said don't worry it'll make for a more open game and the ball will zip around a lot faster! I hate these open games of football that we have every week!!!

Not the best display, I thought week looked a bit soft with out Skirtle, Masch and Torres. We allowed ourselves to get bullied on our own patch. But I thought I shouldn't be too supprised at this because this is how Fat Head has sent his teams out at Anfield for the last few years (with a bit of success too :-[). But we managed to get the right result yet again and if I'm being honest I think we need our all our stars fit all the time if we can fighting for this league at the end of the season. Wigan are a much improved side and some reports are linking us with a move for Zakki, now that wouldn't be too bad!

I'm made up we won for Aussie, that's some commitment to travel to the other side of the world to see your team! Its nice to see everyone got home safely. Now it's beers in the fridge for Wednesday night! ;)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #428: Oct 20, 2008 07:34:58 pm
      JD were was you? thought you were coming for a pint?  :(

I know I know.  I read Andy's post at 2pm that he had two spares.  Couldn't believe it.

I didn't realise you were going to be sticking round for a while after the game as well - should have fired me a text or something.  However, I'm so glad that it all turned out right for Aussie after coming from the other side of the planet.  And I'm made up that so many of you fine people made so much possible for him.

He'll know all about the 'Kop advantage' first hand now.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #429: Oct 20, 2008 07:38:08 pm
      I know I know.  I read Andy's post at 2pm that he had two spares.  Couldn't believe it.

I didn't realise you were going to be sticking round for a while after the game as well - should have fired me a text or something.  However, I'm so glad that it all turned out right for Aussie after coming from the other side of the planet.  And I'm made up that so many of you fine people made so much possible for him.

He'll know all about the 'Kop advantage' first hand now.

JD...........Andy text me to say he had two tickets spare, I haven't got your mob number otherwise I'd have let you know  :( Sorry mate
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,912 posts | 6834 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #430: Oct 22, 2008 10:39:22 am
      I´m still smiling ;D  thanks for your nice words everyone...it was a pleasure and will be done again, hopefully in the not to distant future.

Quick Reply