Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Wolves [Premier League] Sun 19th May @ 4:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 18th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P7 W3 D1 L3

Snooker

Read 177734 times
      __Tickle__
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,922 posts | 441 
      Re: Snooker
      Reply #2024: May 05, 2024 11:16:59 pm
      His attempt to swerve to hit the yellow was a shocker.

Wilson is just a bit too strong for him but neither player can control the cue ball properly.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,123 posts | 3370 
      Reply #2025: May 06, 2024 11:52:20 am
      So close to winning that frame. Would have been huge to win it...did he need to take the risk? Was jumping between this and the f1!

The shot was on so I think he was right to take it on. He got a decent enough cue ball and the red could have gone safe so I reckon it was worth the risk.

Waiting for a better chance that may never come would have hurt more in my opinion because then he'd be left with wondering "what if I took that double on."
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,123 posts | 3370 
      Reply #2026: May 06, 2024 01:29:20 pm
      First frame of the afternoon goes to Jak Jones, who gets back to within four Wilson. Great long red to open the frame before missing a straight blue, left Kyren his first chance of the day but a couple of poor shots culminating in a poor safety gave Jones a second chance and he took it very well, with the odd exception of loose cue ball control.

Jones looks to have settled the better, can he keep this level of control to continue the comeback?

Wilson 11-7.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,123 posts | 3370 
      Reply #2027: May 06, 2024 01:46:54 pm
      Both players missed reds into the same middle pocket early on in the frame before a safety battle followed with reds moving up the other end of the table. Kyren eventually decides to play the aggressive safety and open the reds up but leaves Jones a very difficult red into the middle pocket that has troubled both already.

Red goes in, blue goes in, great position on the next red and for the first time since he was 3-0 down, Jak Jones is within three of Kyren Wilson.

11-8 Wilson.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,123 posts | 3370 
      Reply #2028: May 06, 2024 02:08:03 pm
      Needed a couple of chances and got a very good chance after Jones made a mess of a pot and split the reds everywhere but Wilson finally has a frame on the board today and is back to four in front.

Just keeps keeping Jones at arms length.

Wilson 12-8.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,123 posts | 3370 
      Reply #2029: May 06, 2024 02:18:36 pm
      Back to five frames ahead going into the mid-session interval and it's safe to say that Kyren Wilson is looking calm again out there. He's being helped by Jones playing quite a few loose shots, including the break in this frame which gifted Wilson the chance he needed.

13-8 Wilson.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,433 posts | 808 
      Reply #2030: May 06, 2024 02:27:43 pm
      Back to five frames ahead going into the mid-session interval and it's safe to say that Kyren Wilson is looking calm again out there. He's being helped by Jones playing quite a few loose shots, including the break in this frame which gifted Wilson the chance he needed.

13-8 Wilson.
      This is Jones Achilles Heal he just lacks the discipline to play safe when needed and he's gifting Wilson an easy opening. He doesn't have the luxury of many frames left to be so aggressive. Anyway too far back now I think.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,053 posts | 206 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #2031: May 06, 2024 02:38:26 pm
      4 more frames this afternoon?

So this could finish 17-8? What would be the point in that when you could potentially finish it off without another session?
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,053 posts | 206 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #2032: May 06, 2024 02:38:56 pm
      Saved himself there did Jones, luckily.

Nasty rebound to pot the pink there.

Far too wide from Jones to squeeze that pink in.
      « Last Edit: May 06, 2024 02:47:30 pm by The-AllMightyReds »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,123 posts | 3370 
      Reply #2033: May 06, 2024 02:54:11 pm
      Both players missed great opportunities with the reds spread everywhere but Jones took on a pink that probably wasn't on and even if it was he hit it far too hard, while Wilson missed a black that was never on and undercut it by a mile.

That miss on the black left Jones in amongst them to clinch the frame. And he's back to four behind. (common trend in this final that difference in frames)

13-9 Wilson.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,123 posts | 3370 
      Reply #2034: May 06, 2024 03:11:32 pm
      Jones got in first, missed a straight forward blue into the top pocket. That left Wilson a great chance who went into the pack and didn't land on the nicest red and missed it into the middle. And after a good red to get in with, Jones took his second chance and is once again three behind Wilson, having won the first two frames of a mini-session.

13-10 Wilson.

Done really well to hold himself together after his play was interupted with a member of the audience being taken ill. Was only a short stoppage in play but still a distruption to his momentum.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,460 posts | 2853 
      Reply #2035: May 06, 2024 03:16:29 pm
      Not the highest quality, but enthralling stuff nonetheless.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,053 posts | 206 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #2036: May 06, 2024 03:22:55 pm
      Right move by Wilson to go for the snooker, the pot was never on.

Wow. Incredible stroke of luck indeed. Albeit nothing really there to follow up with.

Wow a 5 point foul for potting a red despite hitting the blue first? Never knew that!! I'm learning.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,123 posts | 3370 
      Reply #2037: May 06, 2024 03:32:07 pm
      A frame that started with errors by both players but it was one mistake too many from Jones with the reds spread everywhere that allowed Wilson to once again move four ahead.

14-10 Wilson.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,053 posts | 206 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #2038: May 06, 2024 03:35:04 pm
      He gets another century+

DLS I have a question right, you know in frames where there is more points between the 2 than remaining on the table....what is the cut off point between the frame being played on to not?
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,053 posts | 206 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #2039: May 06, 2024 03:41:39 pm
      Jones just cannot pot long distance.

Ah come on Jones, that was horrible.
      « Last Edit: May 06, 2024 03:48:12 pm by The-AllMightyReds »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,123 posts | 3370 
      Reply #2040: May 06, 2024 03:54:02 pm
      Another frame where Wilson was gifted a chance because a poor long effort from Jones. Kyren broke down at 32 but after Jones potted a lovely long red he then missed a black off it's spot, which is unforgivable at this level as Stephen Hendry would (and did) say. That allowed Kyren a second chance to finish the session five ahead going into tonight's final session but he made a mess of the second chance. He eventually got over the line in his third chance though after Jones missed an easy yellow into the middle.

And this evening will start with Kyren Wilson leading by five frames.

15-10 Wilson.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,123 posts | 3370 
      Reply #2041: May 06, 2024 04:04:31 pm
      DLS I have a question right, you know in frames where there is more points between the 2 than remaining on the table....what is the cut off point between the frame being played on to not?

It's up to the players.

If the player behind wants to carry on and play for snookers then he's well within his right to. Sometimes, usually early on matches, a player will be well behind but will play on just to try and get his arm going as well as getting used to the table if he's been kept off it for most of the game up to that point.

But there's no actual cut off point as to when a frame is over other than if there's only the black left pottable. That's why players who've won the frame can just walk off without even needing to play the black.

There has been talk, started by Shaun Murphy, of calling a frame over if a player needs more than three snookers but I don't like that idea because a frame can still be won from that far behind. I understand it's not great to watch when it doesn't happen and you sometimes just get 20 minutes of almost dead, pointless snooker but a player has the right to play on so let them. It's up to the other player to make sure his opponent doesn't get a chance to come back to the table and play for snookers in the first place.

On the other side, a player is now fined if they concede a frame with still enough points on the table that they can win. So for instance if you're 35 points behind with just one red left on the table you can tie the frame but only by doing so you have to pot a black after the red followed by all the other colours but the black is impossible to pot for whatever reason (maybe tied up with other balls or the pocket is blocked by another ball) you can't concede the frame anyore without being fined by the WST authorities.
      Longy-Shops
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,433 posts | 808 
      Reply #2042: May 06, 2024 04:08:25 pm
      Well it's at least going to the final session and I wouldn't have put money on that this time yesterday....Too many unforced errors from Jones has made it easy for Wilson. The tournament hasn't really delivered this year, not enough drama and not enough quality play....Hence an obviously talented, but ultimately dull winner.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,091 posts | 2123 
      Reply #2043: May 06, 2024 06:16:24 pm
      Well it's at least going to the final session and I wouldn't have put money on that this time yesterday....Too many unforced errors from Jones has made it easy for Wilson. The tournament hasn't really delivered this year, not enough drama and not enough quality play....Hence an obviously talented, but ultimately dull winner.

Pretty sure Allen v Higgins will be remembered for a long time, especially Higgins' clearance in that final frame.

But I somewhat agree. No offence, but Jones is not the sort of player I want to see in the final. I think his matches were slugfests and there are some opponents that he beat, especially Trump, who need to have a good long look at themselves for getting down into the gutter with Jones in their snooker.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,123 posts | 3370 
      Reply #2044: May 06, 2024 07:05:03 pm
      Stephen Hendry is one arrogant f**ker but has every right to be and is comical with it.

He's also very modest at times, he usually plays his ability down. But that line to Murphy "I'm normally in Kyren's position of five frames ahead" got me laughing.
      The-AllMightyReds
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,053 posts | 206 
      • In Klopp I trust
      Reply #2045: May 06, 2024 07:28:53 pm
      Jones really needs this frame, which very much hangs in the balance.

Lovely snooker by him just now on the last red.

Another long pot attempt, another miss by Jones.....

Good call by Wilson to make him re-attempt the snooker, made it easy to pot the final red.
      « Last Edit: May 06, 2024 07:34:59 pm by The-AllMightyReds »
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 21,123 posts | 3370 
      Reply #2046: May 06, 2024 07:36:00 pm
      First frame of the evening session and Jones had three good chances to take it but kept missing easy balls, Wilson, himself, wasn't clinical enough to get the frame won in one visit but he did win the frame in the end and is now just two away from being World champion.

16-10 Wilson.

Quick Reply