Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Scouser - definition?

Read 8180 times
      TotheMax
      • Forum Ronnie Moran
      • Started Topic

• 404 posts | 22 
      Scouser - definition?
      Oct 28, 2008 07:43:08 pm

A question from a not Liverpool/Britain based fan:

What defines a scouser, place of birth, where he lives or dialect?

On wikipedia I find that "Inhabitants of Liverpool are called Liverpudlians, but are more often described by the colloquialism Scousers."

Also on wiki's article on scouse dialect, Michael Owen is on the list of scouse-speaking personalities. Also I found that Owen is born in Chester, which is around 20 miles from Liverpool. Is that outside scouse-area?

Just out of curiosity, why is Owen not a scouser?

robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Re: Scouser - definition?
      Reply #1: Oct 29, 2008 12:18:01 pm
      think owen is half a scouser, if you listen to his accent it owes a lot to a posh form of scouse that derives from the wirral

what is a scouser, now there is a question.....most likley where you where born....tom baker is a scouser and a reletive of mine in sorts, but he doesnt really sound like one but you can notice a slight hint.

i define a scouse as somebody not only born within 25 miles of the city but, somebody who associates themselves with the city , somebody who is proud to be scouse....even cilla even though she abandoned us...she still associates
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #2: Oct 29, 2008 01:14:34 pm
      Guess i ain't a scouser :(
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,461 posts | 4589 
      Reply #3: Oct 29, 2008 02:27:39 pm
      just because you are born in a stable dosent make you a horse! ;D
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #4: Oct 29, 2008 03:51:07 pm
      just because you are born in a stable dosent make you a horse! ;D

:lmao:

I wonder how many scousers have been born in a stable?

Personally I wouldn't say if you are from Chester, that you're a scouser. I wouldn't call Owen a scouser and I don't think he sounds scouse. Suppose it depends who wrote the info on Wiki.

I've heard a few people over the years saying 'if you come from a place that has signposts directing you to Liverpool, then you're not a scouser'. Bit unfair I reckon because I've got family who live in Prenton which is across the Mersey River and they're just as much scouse as i am and I've lived in Liverpool all my life.

But if you ask me, you're a scouser if you come from Liverpool or the close surrounding areas. Other people will probably have different views on it.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,017 posts | 3352 
      Reply #5: Oct 29, 2008 04:12:19 pm
      You're a scouser if you're from Liverpool and are proud to be that. Not like the ones who leave the city and then bad mouth at it every chance *cough* ringo *cough* cilla *cough* o'grady *cough* mcmanaman *cough* sorry, I'm not quite over the flu yet.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #6: Oct 29, 2008 04:14:03 pm
      Not like the ones who leave the city and then bad mouth at it every chance *cough* ringo *cough* cilla *cough* o'grady *cough* mcmanaman *cough* sorry, I'm not quite over the flu yet.

Damn right!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #7: Oct 29, 2008 05:34:01 pm
      But if you ask me, you're a scouser if you come from Liverpool or the close surrounding areas. Other people will probably have different views on it.

Born and bred in Bootle.

That makes me Scouse through and through  ;D

Aren't people who are born outside the surrounding area's of Liverpool called Woolybacks  :lmao:
      graham135uk
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 797 posts | 27 
      • “Liverpool are magic. Everton are tragic.”
      Reply #8: Oct 29, 2008 06:00:46 pm
      scouser;
       People from Liverpool who aren't that different from anyone else, except we don't slag off other cities as much as everyone else slags us off.

The myth of scousers as criminals is usually reinforced by right wing toffs and the gutter press, who've never visited Liverpool.

Liverpool, is one of the safest metropolitan areas in the UK according to Home Office statistics. A decline in the number of crimes reported per 100,000 of the population, has made Liverpool the third safest metropolitan area behind Northumbria and South Yorkshire - burglary rates are at their lowest levels for more than twenty years. Which probably explains why Ive heard so many students saying they feel safer in Liverpool than they do back home.

Don't believe the crap written about us.

Scousers are usually easy going, up for a laugh, and welcoming to outsiders, and usually posess a strong wit similar to that of the Irish.

The nice ones are really nice(think Im in there somewhere ha ha) ie very friendly & chatty, like to take the mickey out of all and sundry and as honest and trustworthy as the day is long.

Bad ones are quite possible the most irritating people ever met, with large chips on their shoulder who whinge a lot and can't be trusted as far as they can be thrown.

Visitors from other countries (and also from the UK) can generally not always understand scousers with strong accents.
      eg.
      Good - Ken Dodd (except for the whole tax evasion thing)

Bad - Wayne Rooney (despite the obvious talent on the field)

And to top it all off, a true scouser, has to come from Liverpool.

If your not from Liverpool then your a honorary scouser.

smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #9: Oct 29, 2008 06:03:31 pm
      think owen is half a scouser, if you listen to his accent it owes a lot to a posh form of scouse that derives from the wirral

what is a scouser, now there is a question.....most likley where you where born....tom baker is a scouser and a reletive of mine in sorts, but he doesnt really sound like one but you can notice a slight hint.

I define a scouse as somebody not only born within 25 miles of the city but, somebody who associates themselves with the city , somebody who is proud to be scouse....even cilla even though she abandoned us...she still associates

Tom Baker is a 'relative' of mine as well, looks like we might be related there robbyr !!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #10: Oct 29, 2008 06:05:31 pm
      Whiston is where i'm from, although i live on the Isle of Wight so i have'nt stopped being a scouser! :D
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #11: Oct 29, 2008 06:07:46 pm
      Whiston is where I'm from, although I live on the Isle of Wight so I have'nt stopped being a scouser! :D

I used to live in Whiston a few years ago, on the estate by the railway station, just off Dragon Lane.  Was born and bred in Norris Green and now live on Croxteth Park.  ;D

Scouse and proud  ;D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #12: Oct 29, 2008 10:14:35 pm
      Can I be an honorary scouser please  ;)
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #13: Oct 29, 2008 10:26:03 pm
      Can I be an honorary scouser please  ;)

Course you can Brian  ;D
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #14: Oct 30, 2008 08:06:56 pm
      Scouse (pronounced /ˈskaʊs/) is the accent and dialect of English found in the city of Liverpool, and in some adjoining urban areas of Merseyside, mainly The Wirral but also in the new town areas of Runcorn and Skelmersdale. The Scouse accent is highly distinctive and sounds wholly different from the accents used in the neighbouring regions of Cheshire and rural Lancashire. Inhabitants of Liverpool are called Liverpudlians, but are more often described by the colloquialism Scousers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scouser

Too wooden that though! ;)

Scouser's (excluding the share of gobshites that all cities are allocated! ;)) are generally friendly, welcoming and very talkative. Our sense of humour is very very similar to that of the Irish, and we generally just rip the piss out of everything.

Of course I'm only repeating what others have already said, but the one thing I can add is that we feel (and I say this as an opinion, not actual fact of all scousers) a sort of siege mentality when it comes to the rest of the country, as we've took the brunt of most accusations which still carries on today. Even that wikipedia page states a point where the rest of the country has not accepted us....

"It is only recently that Scouse has been treated as a cohesive accent/dialect; for many years, Liverpool was simply seen as a melting pot of different accents with no one to call its own.[citation needed] The Survey of English Dialects ignored Liverpool completely, and the dialect researcher Ellis said that Liverpool [and Birkenhead] had "no dialect proper".

This is in no means a statement that we hate the rest of the country, but there's a feeling that we're only accepted when deemed necessary (i.e. when our players are of a higher standard and England wants to choose them as heroes! ;)) We're always welcoming of people from around the country however. Just a shame some parts of England can't take on the same mentality when it comes to us eh?
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #15: Nov 03, 2008 01:48:48 pm
      Well I'm Wirral born, hailing in Upton.  Me Dad was born and bred in Toxteth and lived there for the majority of his life until he met me Mum and that.

Most of me Family's from Liverpool and still are there now.  I like to think I've got a Scouse personality like, but I can't stand the vast majority of Wirralians that live in the posh areas (West Kirby and the rest!)

I'm just proud of me roots, proud of the team I support and I love the City. 
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #16: Nov 03, 2008 02:41:36 pm
      Make me a honorary Scouser then! We definitely don't have scousers in Malaysia ;D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,017 posts | 3352 
      Reply #17: Nov 03, 2008 05:29:27 pm
      Me Dad was born and bred in Toxteth and lived there for the majority of his life until he met me Mum and that.

Who'd wanna move outside of Paradise? Toxteth is the nicest place on Earth and this isn't a biased view honestly  :f_whistle:

Quick Reply