Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. What is the best War Film you have ever watched?

Saving Private Ryan
      12 (25.5%)
      Black Hawk Down
      4 (8.5%)
      Full Metal Jacket
      2 (4.3%)
      Apocalypse Now
      8 (17%)
      The Deer Hunter
      1 (2.1%)
      Platoon
      8 (17%)
      Schindler's List
      3 (6.4%)
      The Great Escape
      4 (8.5%)
      A Bridge Too Far
      1 (2.1%)
      Other (Please mention)
      4 (8.5%)

Total Members Voted: 46

What is the best War Film you have ever watched?

Read 16291 times
      smallgee
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Re: What is the best War Film you have ever watched?
      Reply #69: Sep 22, 2009 11:04:54 am
      As Far As I'm Concerned:
      Im Westen nichts Neues
      Schindler's List
      The Dirty Dozen
      The Longest Day
      The 50 Hours of The Death (sorry , I know only in Hunagarian This Title-and translated it..)
      smallgee
      • Forum Youth Player

• 8 posts |
      Reply #70: Sep 22, 2009 12:33:53 pm
      Battele of The Bulge - This is The Title of The Movie, which was teranslated "The 50 Hours of The Death".
      Beansie
      • Forum Graeme Souness

• 370 posts |
      Reply #71: Sep 22, 2009 01:14:06 pm
      Escape to Victory for me.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #72: Sep 22, 2009 05:40:37 pm
      You've got to be a wind up mate,the film is to borrow one of your adjectives ,unadulterated quality which received more accolades from critics and Joe Public than any war movie made,veterans of the conflict even acknowledge its authenticity and honest portrayal of events.From your comments you sound like a Sylvester Stallone fan,nothing whatever wrong with that but a lot of people would describe Rocky in the same way as you depict Apocalypse Now.

I have to agree with you Stuey. Apocalypse Now is a bloody classic, and I also agree that there are very differing opinions about that film and also Rocky. I think they are both seminal movies that both pack quite a punch (pardon the pun!)

I voted for Saving Private Ryan  because the action scenes were gripping, and the jaw-dropping landing at the beginning defy words. The courage that the soldiers had to show entering that barrage can never be understated.
      I don't know if Braveheart counts, but that had a similar effect on me watching it in the cinema, where you do get lost in the battle. It's the only true form to view them and fully appreciate what went on.

Schindler's List was also extremely moving. Chilling at times. Two Spielberg gems.
      Rood
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 334 posts |
      Reply #73: Sep 22, 2009 06:37:03 pm
      Really surprised this one hasn't been mentioned yet, 'The Pianist', it has to be the best war movie I have seen. Ofcourse 'Band of Brothers' is really great too, but thankfully its a mini series so I don't have to ponder on which I like most. Also not mentioned yet, 'Hotel Rwanda', great movie.
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #74: Sep 30, 2009 06:10:51 am
      What about MASH? Not a typical war movie (a "satirical dark comedy", like wikipedia defines), but I love it. Hilarious.
      bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #75: Sep 30, 2009 06:45:22 am
      Agree, cracking film!

Read some bad reviews of it online, but I found it an excellent film. Not only based on true events, but shows the courage and brotherhood that bonds soldiers on the front line, and the heartache of the families who lose their sons and husbands on the field of battle.

I suppose some people don't think it was political enough for a film set during the Vietnam war.  ::)

That movie captured the feel and mood at the time of that battle to a tee. I read reviews slamming it to, and i was shocked at the ineptitude of some reviewers not knowing their history. They complained it didn't capture the hopelessness of the Vietnam war as in a Platoon type feel.. hello, this was the first battle of the war!! ::) At that time these soldiers went in with that fresh hopeful outlook any new soldier in those days did. They hadn't heard any bad media before, all they had seen was John Wayne films all gung ho about world war II. Brilliant film IMO, and very hard to watch in parts to. The bit where they pick up the asian lad who has been burnt by napalm gets me every time. Sad stuff.
      For me, im a big fan of Black Hawk Down. Don't ask me why, but the hard hitting of that film just really got me in. And i have done a bit of history research when in high school on the whole thing and i just really enjoy it as a film. As far as the event itself goes, a tragedy. Cannot believe how under-prepared they went in. Then after that Clinton just decided to pack up and leave. So much for the mission there ::)
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,241 posts | 920 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #76: Sep 30, 2009 08:06:35 pm
      What about All Quiet On The Western Front truly a classic
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,332 posts | 2832 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #77: Sep 30, 2009 10:59:18 pm
      Really surprised this one hasn't been mentioned yet, 'The Pianist', it has to be the best war movie I have seen.

This is a movie I always wanted to watch but for some reason I never did untill today. I like war movies, dramas, pianos and I'm a big fan of both Adrien Brody and Roman Polanski. There was no way in the world this could be bad, but it was even better than I could imagine. Really sad and brilliantly told story.

Quick Reply