Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Liverpool vs Pompey Match Thread

Read 17618 times
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Re: Liverpool vs Pompey Match Thread
      Reply #276: Oct 30, 2008 12:12:24 pm
      Another 3 points in the bag, but I was disappointed coming away from last nights game. Changes might of been enforced due to a few players carrying knocks, but when fringe players come in you expect to see them fight for their place and take the chance presented to them. So Pennant, never looked to take anyone on and always seemed to go backwards with the ball. Lucas never got into the game for me and without Masch I thought we let Pompey dictate the centre of the park to the extent I thought Diarra was the best player in there. So what a mangerial master stroke by Tony Adams to take the lad off!! James played well pulling off some good saves. I would like to have seen Babel pushed up front, Kuyt played well but we had no pace there to stretch Pompey and I thought the two of them up top would of been a better option with Gerrard in the middle (and Lucas collecting glasses in the Albert!).

Pompey only had one real chance and Popa Bubba Diuop (or what ever his name) is should of scored with a free header. Then the same player gives us a penalty (I don't actually know weather it was given for common assault on Big Sami or hand ball!) Job done!

We need our big guns back on Saturday, it will be alot tougher but we all know that so lets just keep winning ;)
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,459 posts | 4585 
      Reply #277: Oct 30, 2008 01:16:47 pm
      against teams like popey we have to start with our baest eleven at home simple.
      to win the league we have to start making teams fear us and thats before they come to anfield,where they no they are in for a hiding,we sent a great message out when we beat the mancs,only to draw with stoke,played the chavs beat them convicingly only to almost stutter with pompey.
      we got to attack from the start if we are to defend our 18 titles form the mancs.
      we are liverpool let the opponents know it.
      king-nando
      • Forum Steve Staunton

• 148 posts |
      Reply #278: Oct 30, 2008 01:25:41 pm
      didn't get to see the game as i didn't have a ticket or a link that worked so cant really judge on performances from ssn highlights but i'm just glad we got the victory to keep the rest looking up at us. The next two game is huge, lets burst the spurs bubble, our first away game as league leaders against a team filled with confidence could be tricky, however we have the desire and belief to win anywhere and a few players will hopefully back to full fitness. keane should be desperate to score and i predict a victory, 1-2
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #279: Oct 30, 2008 01:36:13 pm
      well my prediction wasnt far wrong- i said 1-0 with a tap-in for keane. Seriously tho, i dont want to be getting to carried away but one thing i can take from are matches sos far is that we havent even reached 5th gear and we are winning
      christov84
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 43 posts |
      Reply #280: Oct 30, 2008 02:29:07 pm
      I thought we played ok last night, moved the ball about well but just didn't have enough conviction in front of goal.  Pennant was diabolical again very rusty, and I didn't think much of Lucas but a win is a win and was always going to be a tough game after Chelsea.  Lets just hope Nando and Keane are back for Spurs on saturday, hattrick for keane? maybe a point to prove and hopefully spurs will tire towards the end after their 4-4 with the arse last night.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #281: Oct 30, 2008 03:24:32 pm
      Another 3 points in the bag, but I was disappointed coming away from last nights game. Changes might of been enforced due to a few players carrying knocks, but when fringe players come in you expect to see them fight for their place and take the chance presented to them. So Pennant, never looked to take anyone on and always seemed to go backwards with the ball. Lucas never got into the game for me and without Masch I thought we let Pompey dictate the centre of the park to the extent I thought Diarra was the best player in there. So what a mangerial master stroke by Tony Adams to take the lad off!! James played well pulling off some good saves. I would like to have seen Babel pushed up front, Kuyt played well but we had no pace there to stretch Pompey and I thought the two of them up top would of been a better option with Gerrard in the middle (and Lucas collecting glasses in the Albert!).

Pompey only had one real chance and Popa Bubba Diuop (or what ever his name) is should of scored with a free header. Then the same player gives us a penalty (I don't actually know weather it was given for common assault on Big Sami or hand ball!) Job done!

We need our big guns back on Saturday, it will be alot tougher but we all know that so lets just keep winning ;)

Well said mate.

Like the bit about Lucas collecting glasses.  :D
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #282: Oct 30, 2008 03:33:06 pm
      We had last seasons team out effectively for most of last nights game, still dont think Pennant & Lucas are good enough to be honest. Lucas gives awaya  lot of balls of feeds balls through to no one. We played very good in parts and in others we just seemed to not have a cutting edge. I felt Babel did very well especially in the first half, if he didnt try and walk it in so much it would be better but he seemed to drift off but seeing as it wasnt our strongest team and they were set up for a draw. Glad of the win, Diop didnt need to give the penalty away but im glad he did :)
      ricohman
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 39 posts |
      Reply #283: Oct 30, 2008 06:20:07 pm
      Do you think we would have scored if we never have got that pen, I don't think we would have IMHO  :o
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #284: Oct 30, 2008 06:46:31 pm
      Do you think we would have scored if we never have got that pen, I don't think we would have IMHO  :o

I think we would have. Not with the players on the Park at the start of the game but I always fancy us when we can bring on Rierra, Keane and Yossi. I was screaming for Raffa to change it after 55 minutes but the Spaniad likes to make us sweat!
      AJ
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,445 posts | 124 
      • Boom!
      Reply #285: Oct 31, 2008 01:18:33 pm
      Watched the highlights from this game last night and I'm sorry to say that if we can't threaten Pompey @ Anfield we have problems! I mean we had the chances don't get me wrong, but it's the same old story we can't capitalise on them.  It seems that we only up our game for the likes of Manu, Chelsea and champions league and then against Man City and Wigan where we were forced to come back, where as what we need to do is be more ruthless and get the goals in the bag to finish the game off.  If it had not been for the penalty we would have only got a point out of that game as it looked like another mid week chore that we wanted to get out the way quickly but the hard way.

I hope that we can play Spurs with the same team mentality and spirit that we did against the chavs on Saturday as they are full of confidence atm and would love to end the week with a draw against the gunners and the same or better from us (if we play like we did in this game)

Still we have a 100% record in London this season, let's build on it! 2-0 Torres and of course Keane  :lmao:
      Scott Barton
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,552 posts |
      Reply #286: Oct 31, 2008 01:44:08 pm

No i dont, we didnt have the cutting edge for large parts and we gave the ball away at times unncessaryily but we are always going to have games like this, is important we got from the game 3 points if you ask me and well im sure we will have a stronger team on for spurs

Quick Reply