Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 20th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W17 D7 L7

The huge Anfield problem

Read 310924 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Re: The huge Anfield problem
      Reply #23: Nov 03, 2008 12:09:41 pm
      Just wondering does anyone know what the split of ticket allocation is
      Season ticket
      PTS
      Away supporters
      online sales
      phone lines etc

Is it around 28,500 season ticket holders?

Away support about 2-3,000 ?

I'm having an educated guess that probably just under 10,000 tickets go on sale via the phone lines.

Paul Tomkins
      • Forum Alf Arrowsmith

• 60 posts | 11 
      • Mr Brightside
      Reply #24: Nov 03, 2008 12:51:41 pm
      I just don't think you can generalise that ST holders are quiet and non-ST holders will make a noise because they're excited.

Those in SOS and those trying to get the singing section working are ST holders. I know there are also quiet ST holders, as I sat near them every week in the lower centenary for a number of years. But there were also noisy regulars. There were moaning bas**rds and those who missed most of the game getting a pie or going for a piss. So there were all sorts.

Maybe ST holders can get a little blase, but I'm sure there have been dire atmospheres in lesser cup games over the years. I was at the 5-0 victory over Luton earlier in the year, and that was a cup game without much atmosphere, because the fans expected us to thrash them. If it had been United in the FA Cup, the place would have been buzzing. This was a game where I'm sure loads of non-ST holders attended.

Paul Tompkins says he's been to European nights where the atmosphere has been dire ! (thats because the result doesn't matter) when its a knock out stage game it's a different issue alltogether !

Well, I went to all the home group games in 01/02 when we'd just qualified for the first time in its new format, and there was no special atmosphere at all.

The Boavista game - the first back after 16 years' exile - had a crowd of 30,015, meaning 15,000 empty seats. Dynamo Kiev in the 2nd home game was 33,513.

To say these games didn't matter is to equate them to Stoke or Portsmouth - lesser teams in a league format. They matter, they're just all or nothing. And sometimes it needs all or nothing games to stoke the place up. The point of the league atmosphere is that it's not a knockout game against glamorous opposition every week, but that it'd be great if the crowd could treat it like one.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #25: Nov 03, 2008 01:10:20 pm
      I wasn't suggesting that it was all season ticket holders.  Most of our fantastic away support, at home and abroad, is comprised of the hardcore element of season ticket holders.

I just feel a large proportion of ST holders are blase about their Anfield attendance.

I really don't think it is too much for everyone inside the ground to at least sing You'll Never Walk Alone at the beginning of a match. I really don't.  If that's sung by everyone in the ground - you never know what might happen in terms of atmosphere in the next 90 minutes.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #26: Nov 03, 2008 01:31:55 pm
      It's an ongoing problem and has been there for a long long time.

I have to agree with JD. I've been getting tickets when I can, which this season and last has been pretty scarse. And every time I've opened my mouth to sing I've been looked at like I had two heads. This is in the Kop. The Wigan match was a glorious excepetion as I was at the back right in the mix of the singing and I felt at home there.

When we get to the stage when teams like Stoke, Charlton or Birmingham come to Anfield and start singing 'where's your famous atmosphere?', and the whole stadium fails to generate a plausible response, it's shambolic. We need to make a point of scaring the sh*t out of any team that comes to Anfield, be it Real Madrid or Reading, and make a point of letting our players know that we're there and we're right behind them.

DLS mentioned that we get more pleasure as a club on the whole from Europe. I couldn't disagree more. The title is what the club wants, what the fans want and certainly what the players want. True, there is financial gain from Europe, and we're still fighting along in the Champions League regardless, but I have to disagree that fans are turning up at Anfield on a weekend and saying 'f*ck it, it's only the Premiership'.
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,529 posts | 33 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #27: Nov 03, 2008 01:36:56 pm
      I am a PTS member and usually manage to get in the Kop, usually 304, 305 and 306 (I think) the 3 at the back most central.  For the first time I went in 202 against Pompey and I was appalled by the lack of voices.  I tried to follow the singing and chanteing from the rest of the Kop but got nowhere.  The only time it got noisy is when we scored.  I'll be honest, I slag off people who leave early but I had to because the frustration took the better of me.  1 bloke already got thrown out behind me, I didn't want to be the 2nd.  Yet against Madrid on Tuesday, you can bet the whole place will be bouncing. 
      Something drastic has to happen otherwise our envious ground will end up like Manure's.
      Shay
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,732 posts | 46 
      Reply #28: Nov 03, 2008 01:39:02 pm
      I've found some (but not all, so don't shoot me) of the blame is to be attributed to the older members of the crowd.  I've sat and sang in The Main and Centenary and been looked at funny by golden-oldies who think that sort of behaviour should only be carried out by those in the Kop.

You get the impression that they go to the games because they've always gone and expect be royally entertained like they were in the 'good old days'.  The team are there for them, not the other way round.

Like I said, I'm generalising, but that's a feeling I've had on more than one occasion.

Apolgies to any older members if I've offended you.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #29: Nov 03, 2008 03:24:26 pm
       A lot of the problem arises from people getting tickets who have either never been to Anfield before or have attended very little, they don't know the songs and they spend more time looking at the people who are singing instead of joining in themselves.

They are waiting for the team to entertain them, well it works both ways, you have to get behind the team  and they'll entertain you.

There's no excuse not to know the songs, with all the internet site's there are nowadays, you can find them if you look hard enough.

Also I think a lot of people go to impress others........."Oh yes, I go to Anfield",  they brag to their mates, but you ask them to name the scorers that first won the European Cup in 77 and they couldn't do it  :(

I am one of the lucky ones who saw Liverpool at their best, I feel very privileged to have stood on the kop for years and sang my heart out, to see us win League Championships,  to be in different countries when we lifted those European Cups in the 70's and 80's....the atmosphere was electric.

Times have changed, football has changed, in those days, players, chairmen, Managers and fans weren't motivated by money unlike nowadays.

I have been to many a match where you had to queue to get in, and on some occasions never got in at all. I've stood at Anfield hours before kick off, singing all the songs, that's when the wit and humour came out from the kop, they would pick up on any little incident going on around the ground, and immediately make up a song about it.

I have to say they were great times.  ;)

The normal everyday fan has been priced out of the game,  when I come to Anfield it costs me on average about £80, you can't afford to do that every game. I would dearly love to get to Anfield more often, I just can't afford to go to every game, but when I do manage to get a ticket, I am over the moon and like to make the best of the occasion, and after all these years of going. It still has a special grip on me.............maybe its because I am a scouser, and I'm going 'home'.

What I find most annoying is when your at a match.........the players are up against it, there crying out for a bit of support, and fans turn their back on them...........disgustin g, and it really pisses me off.

They sit there moaning about Rafa's selection and how kuyt should be doing this, that or the other.

I HATE THAT, and I have to agree with JD.............give your f***in' season ticket to someone who'll back the lads 100%

For god's sake get behind the boys, your there as a fan to support the team, so for pity's sake support will ya !!!!!

I'm looking forward to seeing all the miserable non singing bas**rds that JD is going to post up............I'll tell you something, you won't see me.

Rant Over.........for now  :f_steam:
      ricohman
      • Forum Titi Camara

• 39 posts |
      Reply #30: Nov 03, 2008 03:44:18 pm
      It would be nice to know how many season ticket holders come on here, why don't they offer their tickets on here, for a price, if they cant or don't want to go.
      I've never been to a match yet allways working Saturdays but when I do get time of I can't get a ticket. :f_steam:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #31: Nov 03, 2008 03:57:31 pm
      A lot of the problem arises from people getting tickets who have either never been to Anfield before or have attended very little, they don't know the songs and they spend more time looking at the people who are singing instead of joining in themselves.

Not when there is 28,000 season ticket holders going every week.  I'd imagine the number of people in any one Anfield crowd who are there for their first time is probably tiny.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #32: Nov 03, 2008 04:27:57 pm
      Not when there is 28,000 season ticket holders going every week.  I'd imagine the number of people in any one Anfield crowd who are there for their first time is probably tiny.

A lot of the season ticket holders are old fogey's though who can't be arsed to sing.

No offence to season tickets holders though  :f_whistle: and obviously we shouldn't tarnish them all with the same brush.  ::)
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,005 posts | 3352 
      Reply #33: Nov 03, 2008 05:11:28 pm
      DLS mentioned that we get more pleasure as a club on the whole from Europe. I couldn't disagree more. The title is what the club wants, what the fans want and certainly what the players want. True, there is financial gain from Europe, and we're still fighting along in the Champions League regardless, but I have to disagree that fans are turning up at Anfield on a weekend and saying 'f*ck it, it's only the Premiership'.

Many fans, mysef certainly included, want the Premiership but the club's officials want the Champions League. I heard somewhere that an extra 6 million people started "supporting" us after the success in Istanbul. Like I've already said Benitez' future hung on the outcome of qualifying from the group stages last year.

Now obviously the club's priorities don't determine when and where a fan can sing, so the ground should be rocking on a Premiership match day but as I've said quite often nowadays fans await the players to get them up. I think it's fair to say at least 90% of the Liverpool supporters sing YNWA at the start of the match but then it becomes the morgue. Unless Mascherano makes a flying tackle, his name isn't sung. Unless Alonso has a pop from thirty yards, his name isn't sung. In days gone by, when the atmosphere was at it's best, it was the crowd who'd get the players up for the match. Let them know who they're playing for.

I think it is massively to do with the money issue. Again in days gone by, people on the dole or even on minimum wages could attend every home match, now it's more and more snobbish money men who are there to do buisness deals and show off future investments in their buisness rather than to support the team. It's beyond the joke the prices, which means even working people are now struggling. With modern technology, people can watch the match from the comfort of their own front room which doesn't cost them an arm and leg. Genuine working class fans are now finding it harder to go and support the lads, so the seats are being taken up by upper class snobs who are affraid to make a bit of noise in case they look like a prat and daytrippers who don't know the songs.
      Mario91
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 307 posts |
      Reply #34: Nov 03, 2008 06:32:06 pm
      I think that maybe some people don't know all of the songs.
      I am not British. I am Liverpool fan since 2001. I have never been to Anfield and I can only sing YNWA.
      I don't know the text of the other songs.
      So I think that it can be useful someone to write all of the songs, which are sing during the matches, here or make a separate topic.
      I will be very grateful and I will start learning them immediately to be ready for my dream - to be in Anfield .
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,341 posts | 1620 
      Reply #35: Nov 03, 2008 07:24:57 pm
      RE  DLS dont know what part of the ground you were in for the utd game but it certainly wasnt mute where i was ,i am one of those daytrippers as you put it but i go to a lot of trouble and expense to get my tickets (no touts mind) i was in the anfield road end on my last game and yes the support was dire, now i have taken the trouble to learn as many songs and chants as possible there are still some i dont know but i am on the case ,unfortunately the same cant be said for everyone ,and yes i do see a lot of trippers with their cameras more intent on taking the odd photo than getting involved, unfortunately you cant make them, i have taken photos myself of my dad and me in the kop but not at the expense of not getting involved.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,288 posts | 2806 
      Reply #36: Nov 03, 2008 07:44:47 pm
      Some people have talked about that loads of people have seen us lift the Champions League and that we feel more prestige in that competition.

I disagree.

I have not seen the Reds lift the Premier League so thats the trophy I really want to see us win more than anything, I believe every league game is as important as every Champions League game because we haven't won the league in 19 years and because Manchester are closing in on us. We cannot always challenge for the champions league every year and some times we will fail and so to avoid not competing in any trophy we have to play well and win matches in the league. So overall I see much more prestige when we play in the League, so I do not see that as an "excuse" for the lack of a beautiful atmosphere. I am not lucky enough to have a season ticket but I hope to see the Reds play this season and I want all of us fans to stand up and support our beloved club from our hearts and sing and encourage our boys to try and win every game and hopefully in May, we can all celebrate a league title.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #37: Nov 03, 2008 07:50:34 pm
      Absolutely no excuse for some of the hopeless excuses for fans we have at our ground.  Interesting that both me and PaulRobbo experienced the same disappointment against Pompey.  Neither of us are Season Ticket holders - but I'm sure we both would love to be - but no, because some useless mute cu*ts have got them instead.

Tell you what I'd do?

Rip up everyone's season ticket at the end of the season and put them on sale from Christmas Day at 4am in the morning from the windows at the Anfield ticket office.

I'd hand over my own mother on Christmas day for a season ticket.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #38: Nov 03, 2008 08:05:36 pm
      I don't know the text of the other songs.
      So I think that it can be useful someone to write all of the songs, which are sing during the matches, here or make a separate topic.
      I will be very grateful and I will start learning them immediately to be ready for my dream - to be in Anfield .

http://www.anfield-online.co.uk/features/lfcsongs.htm
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #39: Nov 03, 2008 08:50:37 pm
      Many fans, mysef certainly included, want the Premiership but the club's officials want the Champions League. I heard somewhere that an extra 6 million people started "supporting" us after the success in Istanbul. Like I've already said Benitez' future hung on the outcome of qualifying from the group stages last year.

Now obviously the club's priorities don't determine when and where a fan can sing, so the ground should be rocking on a Premiership match day but as I've said quite often nowadays fans await the players to get them up. I think it's fair to say at least 90% of the Liverpool supporters sing YNWA at the start of the match but then it becomes the morgue. Unless Mascherano makes a flying tackle, his name isn't sung. Unless Alonso has a pop from thirty yards, his name isn't sung. In days gone by, when the atmosphere was at it's best, it was the crowd who'd get the players up for the match. Let them know who they're playing for.

I think it is massively to do with the money issue. Again in days gone by, people on the dole or even on minimum wages could attend every home match, now it's more and more snobbish money men who are there to do buisness deals and show off future investments in their buisness rather than to support the team. It's beyond the joke the prices, which means even working people are now struggling. With modern technology, people can watch the match from the comfort of their own front room which doesn't cost them an arm and leg. Genuine working class fans are now finding it harder to go and support the lads, so the seats are being taken up by upper class snobs who are affraid to make a bit of noise in case they look like a prat and daytrippers who don't know the songs.

Good post. That's exactly what we need to remedy now. We need to promote the stadium as a bouncing atmosphere, every match. We need to get it around that everyone needs to keep this great myth up, and that is exactly what it is becoming, that we have the loudest stadium going!

This would help remedy your second point, about people just staying in the comfort of their homes and watching it on the internet, on the telly, etc. I know it'll be a struggle moneywise but people would rather go to any match they can if the atmosphere was up there with what it used to be years ago. You won't get that on Sopcast! ;)
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #40: Nov 03, 2008 11:43:44 pm
      There will never be an atmosphere or noise in the kop like it was in the 60s 70s and 80s, every one knows that. There just isn't the capacity any more. I can remember being in the kop, paying at the turnstiles and standing amongst 20 thousand every other week. That won't happen ever again. We might get something near it in a new stadium if it's designed right. That can only mean one thing. Every last man woman and child need to give it all they've got vocally to make up for the lack of numbers. If people near you arn't singing, let them know in no uncertain terms, they shouldn't be in thier. The kop is an institution with an honerary membership, not a fair ground spectacle to be gloated at and photographed. If you don't feel the souls of the millions who have roared thier devotion before you,  if your hair doesn't stand up on the back of your kneck when you sing Y.N.W.A. If it doesn't choke you or bring a tear to your eye,  you're in the wrong seats.  Get the kop rocking once again.
      « Last Edit: Nov 03, 2008 11:56:42 pm by GERNS »
      Madzz Adzz
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 569 posts |
      Reply #41: Nov 03, 2008 11:47:42 pm
      i was at the Pompey game, i was in the anny road stand,  miserable weather sold out game, and i had 2 people behind me talking about there fishing trip that there planing, to rows down from me a Chinese couple who was reading a book thou the match and left round the 80Th min time, and then to the left of me a old geezer in his 80s singing his heart out to the songs. now people who crnt be botherd with the game and only want to see the famouse ground, stay at home and watch it on telly and leave it to the proper fans. i applaud the old geezer hes liverpool thou and thou and loves the game, that's wot liverpools all about not people who just want to see the one game. We Carnot let manure win the 18Th that will just be terrible. lets get behind the team and let us win the league and say F**k you manure u will never be a successfully as us.
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #42: Nov 04, 2008 08:50:54 am
      The moment they made it all seater this was bound to happen you only have to look at sport in America where they have had all seater stadia for ages and the atmosphere is dull. I think if only the authorities would listen and turn places like the Kop back to all standing and thats how it should be, the noise would come back like it was for every game in the 60's 70's and part of the 80's but of course the men in suits refused that option not long ago and so we must wait until the time comes around again for the Kop to be all standing and half the tickets go on sale the week or the day of the match so we can hear the noise again....
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,595 posts | 6928 
      Reply #43: Nov 04, 2008 09:04:56 am
      There will never be an atmosphere or noise in the kop like it was in the 60s 70s and 80s, every one knows that.

Chelsea 2005.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,290 posts | 1514 
      Reply #44: Nov 04, 2008 07:05:10 pm
      As its said " COME ON FEEL THE NOISE"
      RedScouseLaz
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 753 posts | 40 
      • du du du du du du, du du du du du du
      Reply #45: Nov 04, 2008 07:11:19 pm

....and 2007.

It can be done ....when the gobshites can be arsed.

Quick Reply