Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

The huge Anfield problem

Read 311205 times
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Re: The huge Anfield problem
      Reply #2024: Sep 23, 2014 11:40:32 pm
      OK here goes, I'm looking for honest answers. I'm not interested in what you would do if you could get to a game, I'm reaching out to those that go, be it week in week out, several times a year or the one's that possibly only managed an odd cold, Tuesday night in the weakest competition we're competing in currently.

My question is what makes you (and imo you're in the majority sadly), not what to sing along with your fellow fan? What is it that makes you feel it's OK to let endless fans from all over Europe mock and completely out sing us?

Is it embarrassment? Do you not feel comfortable being there, if so why not watch it on the TV?
      Do you not know the songs? If so what lengths do you go to learn the old and new songs?
      I'd love to know the answers from fans who go, where are these voices who were so quick to sing 'we're gunna win the league' back in April/May, has the cat got your tongue.

I'll start myself by answering from my perspective. I go several times a year, I'm by no means a regular, work sees to that, but when I go I come out horse from singing. If I don't know a new song I'll try singing along and if I've not got it by the end of the match, I make sure I know it the next time I'm at a game. What the f**k has happened to our fans Jesus!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #2025: Sep 24, 2014 12:05:13 am
      What a fooking sh*te atmosphere. And don't anyone dare blame daytrippers or ooters. Its a Tuesday night league cup tie there wont be that many there. Plenty of locals keeping it quiet tonight

To be fair Brian, I remember League Cup games in the 80s having a poor atmosphere.  Nothing new mate.  If you think Anfield was ever bouncing when playing lower league opposition then on this point you are mistaken.

In fact I'd imagine tonight's attendance was one of our highest ever for a League Cup 3rd Round.

You're right - there possibly is 'slightly' more locals there tonight, but not a huge difference at all.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #2026: Sep 24, 2014 02:08:16 pm
      OK here goes, I'm looking for honest answers. I'm not interested in what you would do if you could get to a game, I'm reaching out to those that go, be it week in week out, several times a year or the one's that possibly only managed an odd cold, Tuesday night in the weakest competition we're competing in currently.

My question is what makes you (and imo you're in the majority sadly), not what to sing along with your fellow fan? What is it that makes you feel it's OK to let endless fans from all over Europe mock and completely out sing us?

Is it embarrassment? Do you not feel comfortable being there, if so why not watch it on the TV?
      Do you not know the songs? If so what lengths do you go to learn the old and new songs?
      I'd love to know the answers from fans who go, where are these voices who were so quick to sing 'we're gunna win the league' back in April/May, has the cat got your tongue.

I'll start myself by answering from my perspective. I go several times a year, I'm by no means a regular, work sees to that, but when I go I come out horse from singing. If I don't know a new song I'll try singing along and if I've not got it by the end of the match, I make sure I know it the next time I'm at a game. What the f**k has happened to our fans Jesus!

Do you remember the 80s. Our most prosperous times as reds.

Quiet as F***ing mice we were at home!!

Maybe, just maybe some fans get sick of trying to keep up with the dickhead happyclappers who want to clap to every song or try F***ing singing every song at 100 mph!

Some fans just go to watch the footie. It takes allsorts.

nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #2027: Sep 24, 2014 02:20:51 pm
      Was in 226 Upper Annie with my lad.  Adult and child bit.

But have been all Annie matches this season and the atmos has been crap bar the CL game.

I think Anfield gets put on a pedestal because on BIG nights, the sound is BIG.

Whereas 80% of the time, it's just 'alright'

HamannsTheMan
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,031 posts | 1978 
      Reply #2028: Sep 24, 2014 02:23:08 pm

At away games I see more people from outside of Liverpool than scousers in our section - its myth that only 'the hardcore scouse ' go the aways.

But what I do notice is, songs such as 'Every other Saturdays my half day off' are sung by scousers only. The feller next to me from London or wherever won't know the lyrics.

It makes me wonder whether those supporters from outside of Liverpool who go to Anfield don't know the lyrics to other songs and maybe one of the reasons why our atmosphere is tragic.

I'm not placing blame on them by the way, there are thousands of scousers with season tickets who turn up, have a brew, watch the match and then get off. My dad being one!

The club should make some sort of rule - Your only allowed in the Kop once you've had 6 pints. The atmosphere will soon pick up.

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #2029: Sep 24, 2014 02:33:54 pm
      At away games I see more people from outside of Liverpool than scousers in our section - its myth that only 'the hardcore scouse ' go the aways.

But what I do notice is, songs such as 'Every other Saturdays my half day off' are sung by scousers only. The feller next to me from London or wherever won't know the lyrics.

It makes me wonder whether those supporters from outside of Liverpool who go to Anfield don't know the lyrics to other songs and maybe one of the reasons why our atmosphere is tragic.

I'm not placing blame on them by the way, there are thousands of scousers with season tickets who turn up, have a brew, watch the match and then get off. My dad being one!

The club should make some sort of rule - Your only allowed in the Kop once you've had 6 pints. The atmosphere will soon pick up.

Good point that! My dad's the same, doesn't really sing now when he goes. Whereas me and my brother are more like your last line haha!

The other problem I hadn't thought of is that unlike in days past, when those that got older and couldn't be arsed standing and singing they migrated to the side stands. Now the Kop is the cheapest part of the ground and also the part most want to get tickets for.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2030: Sep 24, 2014 03:38:04 pm
      Saw the good,  the bad and the great last night.  The two elder scouse to my right were brilliant and we had some good banter going.  The Spanish lads and stunning lasses had crib sheets for the songs and we're brilliant as well.  The scouse season ticket holder to my left spent most his time on his phone, didn't sing once, only opened his gob to moan, plus he arrived 5 minutes late, left his seat 10 minutes before half time and turned back up 5 minutes into the second half then disappeared 5 minutes before the end of the 90, which pleased me no end because one of the fit Spanish lasses came and sat by me.  Their were moments last night in which their was  a wall of sound created by The Kop and I was hoarse by half-time.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #2031: Sep 24, 2014 04:12:32 pm
      "Will the owner of a Citroen, reg number xxxxxx parked on Walton Breck Road please remove it as it is about to be towed"

2 people get up.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaay!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2032: Sep 24, 2014 04:14:36 pm
      "Will the owner of a Citroen, reg number xxxxxx parked on Walton Breck Road please remove it as it is about to be towed"

2 people get up.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaaaay!

At least the citroen was a red. :)
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #2033: Sep 24, 2014 05:28:57 pm
      Do you remember the 80s. Our most prosperous times as reds.

Quiet as f**king mice we were at home!!

Maybe, just maybe some fans get sick of trying to keep up with the dickhead happyclappers who want to clap to every song or try f**king singing every song at 100 mph!

Some fans just go to watch the footie. It takes allsorts.

I do remember the 80s mate yes, it was when I started going. I totally agree with you on singing the song at 100 mph, what's that all about. Noticed it more so than ever at the Ludogorets game several times I found myself lagging behind because it had been speeded up.

I know some people just go to watch and aren't interested in joining in the songs, but the split seems to becoming greater and greater with each passing year to me.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #2034: Sep 24, 2014 05:35:24 pm
      The other problem I hadn't thought of is that unlike in days past, when those that got older and couldn't be arsed standing and singing they migrated to the side stands. Now the Kop is the cheapest part of the ground and also the part most want to get tickets for.
      Very good point mate in terms of the cheap prices and people not moving to the sides because of it. In relation though aren't the prices the same as back when the Kop was still standing say? Can remember last season of the Kop only paying £5 to stand, although that might have been because I was still classed as a junior (can just about remember what it was like ;D)! What sort of prices were the rest of the ground round those days?

Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #2035: Sep 24, 2014 05:39:22 pm
      Saw the good,  the bad and the great last night.  The two elder scouse to my right were brilliant and we had some good banter going.  The Spanish lads and stunning lasses had crib sheets for the songs and we're brilliant as well.  The scouse season ticket holder to my left spent most his time on his phone, didn't sing once, only opened his gob to moan, plus he arrived 5 minutes late, left his seat 10 minutes before half time and turned back up 5 minutes into the second half then disappeared 5 minutes before the end of the 90, which pleased me no end because one of the fit Spanish lasses came and sat by me.  Their were moments last night in which their was  a wall of sound created by The Kop and I was hoarse by half-time.

Nice insight into your night mate ;D.

I know the moaners too well mate, it's worse when they're there as a moaning couple! Had it last week constant moaning about a player or that decision, think they just about raised to a song for YNWA at start of the match!

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #2036: Sep 24, 2014 08:01:14 pm
      Id imagine it will be a waste of time but Im going to write to the club and suggest or ask why cant tickets be sold ( say 8000 a fifth of the capacity available to home fans) be sold at the ground. Every Wednesday the tickets go on sale at set times. NO ONLINE SALE you must turn up at the ground to the stalls.

None or vey few could then be picked up by non Liverpudlians. If you have ID saying your under 18 you get them at x price. Proof your unemployed you get them at price Y. That way your giving 1 in every 5 tickets to locals only. Add that to the already good crowd of locals (season tickets, fan card holders, those with regular access to tickets) and you have a good hardcore of local support back in. The genuine die hard of non souse fans will find ways to get there tickets. That then should lesson the prospect of genuine tw*t fans getting in
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #2037: Sep 25, 2014 09:19:23 pm
      Or just introduced stands where you actually stand and not sit. That should scare away 90% of the spectators who feel the need to conserve their energy throughout the game.

Don't German and Turkish clubs have similar sort of stands? It certainly creates a better atmosphere.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #2038: Sep 26, 2014 06:20:21 pm
      Or just introduced stands where you actually stand and not sit.

Never really going to happen at Anfield though, is it, no matter how many of us would want it.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #2039: Sep 26, 2014 06:50:27 pm
      Id imagine it will be a waste of time but Im going to write to the club and suggest or ask why cant tickets be sold ( say 8000 a fifth of the capacity available to home fans) be sold at the ground. Every Wednesday the tickets go on sale at set times. NO ONLINE SALE you must turn up at the ground to the stalls.

A few reasons why that idea will never work or will never be given the chance to work:

1) Execs, owners, board members are money minded so money comes 1st, atmosphere somewhere further down the list
      2) The more 'tourist' fans that come the better = more money spent on memorabilia in the club shop
      3) What if those 'x' amount of tickets don't get purchased at the ground? The club will risk losing out on money week in, week out and fans will become pissed off at the fact that they requested a ticket earlier than this stadium sale. 
      4) Financially it doesn't make sense for the club.
      5) Fans pay 'x' amount for memberships etc. so that they can apply for tickets before many other people, if tickets are to be sold at the ground then certain individuals could turn up and be at the front of the queue every week. This would 1) guarantee themselves a ticket consistently and 2) piss off those that pay for a membership as they're guaranteeing themselves a ticket for no additional fee.

billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,945 posts | 5005 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #2040: Sep 26, 2014 07:42:56 pm
      Never really going to happen at Anfield though, is it, no matter how many of us would want it.

I'm thinking tho HR that this is a major part of the problem, it is of course a contentious issue, however,  if by some miracle the FA and the H&S Gestapo were to give the go ahead for a all standing section, where better than Anfield to give it a go, initially for a trial period, 
      I can't forsee it causing any problems so long as it was policed properly,

We only have to look at the Bundesleague to see and hear the atmosphere created at their games, and after all are we not all partners in Europe now,  if our brethren in Germany can do it, then why can't we, sort of keeping up with the Schmiths,  Yavol!

YNWA
      MsGerrard
      Reply #2041: Sep 27, 2014 11:14:56 pm

Read your post with interest Fowler23, I was at the Middlesborough League cup game last Tuesday night, in the Kop, block 104, quite near the front, it was, as you will know quite exciting towards the end with goals, extra time and of course a massive penalty shoot out,  there was me, singing, shouting, clapping, supporting our team, there were 3 people in front of me, they never moved a muscle, hardly clapped, never sang ANY of the songs, and I'm saying to the lad next to me, it should be a criminal to come on the Kop and not sing any songs....not even YNWA, I'm suspecting they were foreign, but as I heard none of them speak, I'm not sure, it frustrates the hell out of me  >:( why the hell do they bother to go, when they're not even prepared to try ???
      I wanted to bloody shake the lot of them.....now today, I've been back on the Kop, this time in block 304, and for those of you who know Anfield will know its right at the back of the kop, it was absolutely buzzing as you'd expect on Derby Day, yet there were still some people not singing some of the songs....why? Embarrased? don't know the words?
        Should be a cert to sing on the Kop, its part of being on the Kop....would be a tradegy if we ever fully lost that special Anfield atmosphere, cos when it's on full song, its the best feeling in the world......experience it yes.....but for god's sake, join in will you.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2042: Sep 27, 2014 11:31:05 pm
      Read your post with interest Fowler23, I was at the Middlesborough League cup game last Tuesday night, in the Kop, block 104, quite near the front, it was, as you will know quite exciting towards the end with goals, extra time and of course a massive penalty shoot out,  there was me, singing, shouting, clapping, supporting our team, there were 3 people in front of me, they never moved a muscle, hardly clapped, never sang ANY of the songs, and I'm saying to the lad next to me, it should be a criminal to come on the Kop and not sing any songs....not even YNWA, I'm suspecting they were foreign, but as I heard none of them speak, I'm not sure, it frustrates the hell out of me  >:( why the hell do they bother to go, when they're not even prepared to try ???
      I wanted to bloody shake the lot of them.....now today, I've been back on the Kop, this time in block 304, and for those of you who know Anfield will know its right at the back of the kop, it was absolutely buzzing as you'd expect on Derby Day, yet there were still some people not singing some of the songs....why? Embarrased? don't know the words?
        Should be a cert to sing on the Kop, its part of being on the Kop....would be a tradegy if we ever fully lost that special Anfield atmosphere, cos when it's on full song, its the best feeling in the world......experience it yes.....but for god's sake, join in will you.

Just out of interest were you wearing spectacles/sunglasses Cas, because thought I spotted you behind the goal.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #2043: Sep 27, 2014 11:34:18 pm
      Just out of interest were you wearing spectacles/sunglasses Cas, because thought I spotted you behind the goal.

I would have been Rodders, I can't bloody see without me specs, you should have let me know you were going hun, I would have had a bevvy with you...
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #2044: Sep 27, 2014 11:41:23 pm
      I would have been Rodders, I can't bloody see without me specs, you should have let me know you were going hun, I would have had a bevvy with you...

Was the plan to contact you and see who was about but nightmare journey up, only got to Anfield 15 minutes before kick off because of it and straight back to the hotel afterwards then up for 0530 in the morning.  Would say I'd see you at the Swansea game, but Billy1's lad will be having that ticket.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #2045: Sep 28, 2014 08:43:03 am
      I wanted to bloody shake the lot of them

It's how I feel more or less every game now Cas.

Frustrates me as after going on the Kop for years I've had to make do with tickets this season (in is in I know but still). Not being funny here but there are more and more foreign supporters getting tickets these days who appear not to even speak English so how the hell are they going to learn songs?

The problem is summed up by pre match I usually go into the Park pub for a few ales and a sing song. What you get now is the regular lads by the stage who lead the songs but the majority there have to interest in learning the words, they just stand there filming and taking pictures of the lads singing! If that is in the pub before, God help us in the game!

I know you cant just lay the blame at foreign fans, I was in the Main Stand yesterday and surrounded by STH who only opened their mouths to moan and groan if we lost possession!

Have to be honest, the Everton fans generally generated much more noise than the Kop yesterday (I was in line with the dugouts) but when Anfield DOES take off, it's still the loudest crowd I've ever witnessed but that is becoming too few and far between.

In fairness, The Annie Road upper seemed to be making efforts yesterday.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #2046: Sep 28, 2014 12:51:29 pm
      Was the plan to contact you and see who was about but nightmare journey up, only got to Anfield 15 minutes before kick off because of it and straight back to the hotel afterwards then up for 0530 in the morning.  Would say I'd see you at the Swansea game, but Billy1's lad will be having that ticket.

Ah well....maybe the next time hun xx

It's how I feel more or less every game now Cas.

Frustrates me as after going on the Kop for years I've had to make do with tickets this season (in is in I know but still). Not being funny here but there are more and more foreign supporters getting tickets these days who appear not to even speak English so how the hell are they going to learn songs?

The problem is summed up by pre match I usually go into the Park pub for a few ales and a sing song. What you get now is the regular lads by the stage who lead the songs but the majority there have to interest in learning the words, they just stand there filming and taking pictures of the lads singing! If that is in the pub before, God help us in the game!

I know you cant just lay the blame at foreign fans, I was in the Main Stand yesterday and surrounded by STH who only opened their mouths to moan and groan if we lost possession!

Have to be honest, the Everton fans generally generated much more noise than the Kop yesterday (I was in line with the dugouts) but when Anfield DOES take off, it's still the loudest crowd I've ever witnessed but that is becoming too few and far between.

In fairness, The Annie Road upper seemed to be making efforts yesterday.

Sad to see the demise isnt it Kelv... :(

Quick Reply