Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

MediaGuardian Today

Read 1070 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      MediaGuardian Today
      Nov 03, 2008 10:37:30 pm
      Oh the Irony

A piece by Emily Bell in the Guardian today:

"It is a rare day when Kelvin MacKenzie is the man to teach the BBC a thing or two about editorial procedure and standards. But MacKenzie, a long time BBC-baiter, had some top-line advice. He pointed out that editorial organisations make mistakes, sometimes catastrophic mistakes. You apologise quickly and then decide, internally, which backsides to kick and how hard."

anyone wanting to point out her mistake can e-mail her on  emily.bell@guardian.co.uk
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Re: MediaGuardian Today
      Reply #1: Nov 03, 2008 10:42:14 pm
      Is it free drug day today or something?

What's going on some of these articles!

Good stuff putting her email in Huyton Red. Everybody get on her case!!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Reply #2: Nov 04, 2008 12:24:42 am
      I take it this is in reference to him appearing on BBC Breakfast as a guest to discuss Jonathan Ross' faux pas last week.

I wish the BBC would knock it on the head having that cock-end hanging around.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #3: Nov 04, 2008 12:30:32 am
      You watch. He'll be on I'm a celeb get me out of here, next.

I hope an oversized rat rapes him.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 40,522 posts | 8686 
      Reply #4: Nov 10, 2008 06:21:28 am
      TONY BARRETT: The sheer irony of MacKenzie outburst
      Nov 8 2008 by Tony Barrett, Liverpool Echo

ONE of the most despicable elements of the overblown Jonathan Ross/Russell Brand affair was the sheer number of times Kelvin MacKenzie was sought out by media commentators to tell the BBC where it was going wrong.

Had he been introduced as a kind of Gerald Ratner figure who cocked up so badly his experience now serves as a lesson to others, it might almost have been justifiable.

But the fact that MacKenzie is feted as some sort of media doyen whose every word we should hang on is sickening and perverse in the extreme.

Clearly having forgotten about his infamous "The Truth" headline in the aftermath of Hillsborough, Emily Bell, of the Media Guardian, pointed out that the Beeb should take heed of Mackenzie's words of "wisdom".

"MacKenzie, a long time BBC-baiter, had some top line advice," she reckoned.

"He pointed out that editorial organisations make mistakes, sometimes catastrophic mistakes.

"You apologise quickly and then decide, internally, which backsides to kick and how hard."

Apart from the unwitting irony, surely the free thinking Guardian should be asking if the people of Britain and a public service broadcaster really be placing any store on the moral judgement of a man whose own morality has been in question since April 1989.

Quick Reply