Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

Liverpool v Atletico Madrid -- match thread

Read 13737 times
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Re: Liverpool v A .Madrid -- match thread
      Reply #161: Nov 04, 2008 11:38:17 pm
      This game has further highlighted some of the problems that have plaqued us of late. Let me start from our defence our right and left backs are poor, in fact I dont recall Arbeloa playing a descent game since the Man Utd match. Personally I am getting sick and tired of him constantly getting caught out of position, he is always backtracking and always that yard short. I think it has been a blessing for him having a player like Kuyt in front of him who does a lot of tracking for him. The goals we conceded against At Madrid both came down the left firstly because our left back gets caught out Agger comes in to cover for him and Carra comes across for Agger and as we saw in both instances Carragher reacts poorly and they score.

Our full backs are probably the weakest aspect of our side Arbeloa and Dossena both lack the pace and look slow. I can not wait for this Degen lad to get fit and be given a chance that will at least give Arbeloa the drive to F***ing work hard to keep his place. Aurelio and Dossena have both been poor I am willing to give Dossena a tiny bit of time to adapt Aurelio has had plenty and has never convinced me really. Maybe we should look into giving Insua a run I mean we can not be worse off at left back then what we are allready.

Our central midfield was strong Masch was superb at the holding role and Alonso had a great game arguably MoM for me his vision and long passing was the catalyst for all our chances. I was dissapointed with Gerrard, Kuyt and Babel when he came in for the pure reason that their touch was absolutely sh*t and this brings me to debate again what and the amount of ball work we do at training. Ngog also ffs I mean the lad struggled to control the first 4 balls that came to him and he looked like an amateaur pulled from the stands thrown on to the pitch.

My biggest problem again was our lack of creativity in the final third, surely Nando gives us this dimension when he plays but we just lack the creativity when we have Keane, Kuyt and Babel up there. We knock the ball about, we win balls in great possesion but we dont have that player that has any idea in to converting it into a goalscoring chance. We had something like 20 shots and only 5 were on target our build up play around the box hardly penetrated Madrid's defense and when it did we had player miscontrolling the ball or missfiring badly.

I really feel for Athletico they took the lead were well composed in defense and looked like they were going to come away with the win. As for the penalty we got IMO it should never have stood I have argued this in another thread, however in saying that we did have a clear handball penalty denied but to be fair so did Athletico with handballs to Carra and Masch. To add to that I really think Carra is due for a rest he needs mental rejuvenation I am scared he might have another brain explosion that could prove costly.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #162: Nov 05, 2008 12:21:15 am
      Rafa reflects on the game

Rafa Benitez believes Liverpool are in a good position to qualify for the knockout stages of the Champions League after drawing 1-1 with Atletico Madrid at Anfield. 
      The Reds went 1-0 down when Maxi Rodriguez found the net in the 37th minute, but Steven Gerrard converted from the penalty spot to earn a point at the death.

The result leaves them level on points with the Spanish outfit at the top of Group D and Benitez admitted it was important his Liverpool charges didn't lose.

"We are disappointed because we needed the penalty at the end, but I think we deserved to score before that," said Benitez.

"I thought we should have had a penalty earlier in the second half. It was clear they handled in the area.

"If that would have been in the middle of the pitch then it would have been a free-kick, but it happened in the box and it was not a penalty.

"We had some good chances, but they had one chance in the first half and scored from it.

"But it was really important for us not to lose today. OK, a win would be much better, but getting the point was very important because we are still near the top of the group.

"You could see that we were attacking and attacking, but they were very good in the counter-attack and had a lot of quality."

The Reds boss also praised his players for the character they showed to equalise so late in the game, but also expressed his concerns about the amount of chances his team are missing.

"We have talked a lot about the character of the team. I think we have come from behind five or six times now, so it is important for us.

"But we also had the same problem last weekend. We had two or three good chances then too and you really have to take them. It can make a massive difference - especially in the Champions League."

Link
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #163: Nov 05, 2008 12:25:06 am
      This game has further highlighted some of the problems that have plaqued us of late. Let me start from our defence our right and left backs are poor, in fact I dont recall Arbeloa playing a descent game since the Man Utd match. Personally I am getting sick and tired of him constantly getting caught out of position, he is always backtracking and always that yard short. I think it has been a blessing for him having a player like Kuyt in front of him who does a lot of tracking for him. The goals we conceded against At Madrid both came down the left firstly because our left back gets caught out Agger comes in to cover for him and Carra comes across for Agger and as we saw in both instances Carragher reacts poorly and they score.

Our full backs are probably the weakest aspect of our side Arbeloa and Dossena both lack the pace and look slow. I can not wait for this Degen lad to get fit and be given a chance that will at least give Arbeloa the drive to F***ing work hard to keep his place. Aurelio and Dossena have both been poor I am willing to give Dossena a tiny bit of time to adapt Aurelio has had plenty and has never convinced me really. Maybe we should look into giving Insua a run I mean we can not be worse off at left back then what we are allready.

Our central midfield was strong Masch was superb at the holding role and Alonso had a great game arguably MoM for me his vision and long passing was the catalyst for all our chances. I was dissapointed with Gerrard, Kuyt and Babel when he came in for the pure reason that their touch was absolutely sh*t and this brings me to debate again what and the amount of ball work we do at training. Ngog also ffs I mean the lad struggled to control the first 4 balls that came to him and he looked like an amateaur pulled from the stands thrown on to the pitch.

My biggest problem again was our lack of creativity in the final third, surely Nando gives us this dimension when he plays but we just lack the creativity when we have Keane, Kuyt and Babel up there. We knock the ball about, we win balls in great possesion but we dont have that player that has any idea in to converting it into a goalscoring chance. We had something like 20 shots and only 5 were on target our build up play around the box hardly penetrated Madrid's defense and when it did we had player miscontrolling the ball or missfiring badly.

I really feel for Athletico they took the lead were well composed in defense and looked like they were going to come away with the win. As for the penalty we got IMO it should never have stood I have argued this in another thread, however in saying that we did have a clear handball penalty denied but to be fair so did Athletico with handballs to Carra and Masch. To add to that I really think Carra is due for a rest he needs mental rejuvenation I am scared he might have another brain explosion that could prove costly.

Top post mate (for once ;) ) but I would disagree with the Arbeloa bit. I thought he played very well today, other than puttin' the ball in the box he didn't do a great deal wrong. And even then, when you've only got Robbie Keane to aim for there is very little point throwin' the ball into the mix, you have to stop, come back and start again.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #164: Nov 05, 2008 12:36:45 am
      Just back from the game.

Well played the Atletico fans put in a good performance. Our fans? F***ing useless.  An embarrassment to me and everyone else on here.  But more of that later.

To be honest a point was the right result - as it was in Madrid. We are clearly meant to meet them again in this tournament.

Our passing was shocking.  I've said before that playing with one up front at Anfield is a complete embarrasment.  Benitez needs to be a bit more adventurous or this tactic could really destroy us.

That said, they scored from pretty much their only chance in the entire game.

They certainly didn't have a single shot in the second half, and we were camped in their half.

The press may like to speculate that this was a lucky result - but we definitely deserved the draw.

Robbie Keane though - looking more like our biggest ever flop by the game.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #165: Nov 05, 2008 12:58:55 am
      My first initial reaction straight after the game, without reading the rest of thread first, which is highly unusual for me, is that we were lucky to scrape that draw with a penalty that I don't think was deserved but was well taken again by SG. Thank F**k he went the other way...his last few have all been in the bottom left corner and that's the way the keeper went.

We controlled the game for large chunks, what's new ??? but they looked super dangerous on the counter.
      That goal they scored was pure quality starting with that kick up the ground from their right back. Can't believe we didn't deal with that.

For me the standout was Xabi...his passing was sublime...God help us if we sold him during the last transfer window...his vision is just pure class.

Danny Agger should have had a hatrick....2 of those balls in the box fell to his favoured left foot and he should have buried them as well as that header....however with more match fitness, it looks like he might be another potent goal scoring threat we have as another option instead of the usual suspects of Torres and Gerrard and sometimes Kuyt, who I think, today was back to his horrible first touch problems again.

I was really pissed off with Lucas when he came on...I watched him shirk out of two important challenges that lucky for us didn't cost us in the end. I really believe he isn't LFC material...time to cut our losses on him in the January transfer window.

All in all a disappointing result again when we had so much possession...but we gained a point instead of losing another 3 and Marseille helped us out by beating PSV....come on REDS, lets improve my birthday months results by hammering WBA on Saturday...lift for fucks sake.

Took a lot of words out of my mouth there mate.

At first I was thinking we didn't deserve the point but on reflection I think the result was justified. We got out of jail though for not taking chances.

Two main things for me. Why play Keane up front on his own at home. And why couldn't we match the consistant noise of the very good support from the Atletico fans?

A lot of 'supporters' need to ask themselves why they're really there. And we need to ask ourselves why we don't really show much intent with our formation - especially at Anfield.

They looked very good on the few occasions going forward and their passing was crisp. We had a lot of the ball but didn't really do anything really dangerous with it.

I'll have to watch the game again to look at the some of the controversial points, but it was really good to walk out of Anfield with a point.

I expect us to be more ruthless on Saturday.

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #166: Nov 05, 2008 01:48:33 am
      I expect us to be more ruthless on Saturday.

I demand it.

Benitez has got some serious issues if he thinks 4-5-1 is any kind of appropriate strategy to employ against the might of 'West Brom'.

No question he is a fine defensive coach but if he keeps insisting on playing such a defensive formation against sh*te teams we should be beating then he will lose the support of a lot of people.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #167: Nov 05, 2008 01:50:55 am
      Benitez has got some serious issues if he thinks 4-5-1 is any kind of appropriate strategy to employ against the might of 'West Brom'.

No question he is a fine defensive coach but if he keeps insisting on playing such a defensive formation against sh*te teams we should be beating then he will lose the support of a lot of people.

I agree we should be goin' with two up top in every single home game at least. But we're still gettin' chances with a lone forward and if he's missin' the chance then it's not Benitez' fault. I'm not his biggest fan as many know, but I don't think it's the formation that's costin' us goals at the moment. More the player(s) who are up front.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #168: Nov 05, 2008 02:11:26 am
      I watched the first 60 and it seems nothing much changed after that. We attacked, they hit on the counter. Our passing in the final third was as shambolic as i've seen us play, touches were very poor and Stevie was one big culprit. A good result in the end but we had to win for more reasons than qualifying. History shows, one loss derails us and this was the chance to just bounce back but i saw no desperation to win by anyone up top. Yeah they got into position well but whatever followed was just garbage. Riera played very well in the second and looks a steal at just 10 million pounds. Keane should have buried the chance in the second half but he tries to round the keeper instead of just chipping him or slotting it to his side.

Rafa can keep on saying we're doing well without Torres but we need to show something more for our efforts and Nando knows where the net is, seems no one else does barring Kuyt of late.

I say for the Brom match; drop Keane, Kuyt up top with either Nando or Babel and stick JP on the right. I have no time for Robbie's sh*t and if he cant score, don't try save your reputation in the market Rafa and learn to drop him for the good of the side.
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #169: Nov 05, 2008 05:12:36 am
      One thing I always notice with Liverpool and tonight I saw it happen a lot. I dunno if it is the players them-selves or the order of the manager but why are the full backs don't try and hit the bi-line. As soon as they go in attack they stop parallel to the box and whip in a flat cross which defenders will win every time. It isn't like they haven got the chance to, many times I seen space where they can run into and make the defenders turn towards their goal but yet they stop about 15 yards out and work from there. I mean with a 4-5-1 the point of Javi is to coverage the back-line and give protection to allow full-backs to get ahead, you ever watch Chelsea as soon as Bosingwa gets ahead either Deco or Mikel slot in to their slot to cover them.

I know the likes of Aurelio and Arboloa are not the fastest but I remember when Arboloa first came he always was eager to be in attack and link with the wide man (remember Arsenal game) yet now he very rarely pushes towards the bi-line and Aurelio never seems to do it.

This is always something that really bothers me and tonight I thought it really stood out.

dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #170: Nov 05, 2008 06:21:47 am
      Very disappointing result I think we played ok we didnt look to bothered by them there goal came form no where and they took there only chance and got a goal. Rafa's tactics again were poor as has been said 4-4-2 was the way to play at home and then when we loosing he subs player for player when your loosing and going for it you have to take the defensive mid off and put an attacker on. What does he do he takes Reira off and puts Babel Keane for Ngog I mean really whats the point if you going to go out and win you take Masc and Alonso off as they are defensive and holding and you replace them with attackers simple but Rafa looks like he is scared to have a go and attack.

The one thing I really enjoyed last night was Phil Thompson was commentating what a breath of fresh air usually we have some pr**k who is against us and just speaks sh*t but big Phil was great had me laughing every time we had a shot or there was a penalty shout (3) he was ooohing and awing and almost screaming like when Gerrard missed that chance that Keane set up and he hit it high Phil was screaming noooooooo in the background pure class what a legend I wish he would commentate on all our games.
      benforrest
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 516 posts | -8 
      Reply #171: Nov 05, 2008 06:53:50 am
      This is why I don't like school, the internet there is terrible and the game finished over 9 hours ago and I still haven't seen the highlights. I saw up to like the 60th minute, and I could've watched the highlights in class except for the fact that the Liverpoolfc.tv E-Season doesn't work well at all at school, I think now that I'm at home I will watch now. From what I can tell, I think Torres will make a lot of difference, as things like trying to round the keeper are a lot more suited to him than Keane. I'm not to sad over the lose draw, but I can't wait for the next game to clear any negative thoughts.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #172: Nov 05, 2008 08:03:15 am

Good post Dadorious,Arbeloa reminds me of Venison in the fact he will get rid of the ball to a team mate even  if the team mate is under pressure.At the time Venison was playing for us another player on the staff pointed Venisons faults out to me and he was correct in what he said.I would like to add how about playing Agger as a striker when Skrtel is back and Torres is not available,He deserved a goal last night.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #173: Nov 05, 2008 01:10:21 pm
      Match Report from Official Atletico website

PernĂ­a and Gerrard leapt for the ball inside the area. They collided in the air and that’s it. It was minute 94 and AtlĂ©tico de Madrid was winning in Anfield after a great match. But one of the referee’s linesmen, before the general surprise of everyone, called an inexistent penalty on the left back. Neither the visiting side’s protest nor the evidence changed anything. The official didn’t overturn his assistant and the captain of Liverpool put away the ensuing penalty kick. And thus escaped what would have been a historic victory for an AtlĂ©tico side that had slowed down a desperate opponent. Until a linesman gave them life
 AtlĂ©tico was left without a win that was won with effort on the pitch and were also left without mathematical qualification for the Champions League round of 16. But the good image offered against Fernando Torres’ team, though the striker was unable to play in the end and watched it all from the Director’s Box, is something that nobody can take away.

Everything was set to see one of the most interesting clashes of the fourth Champions League matchday. With the absences of Fernando Torres and Sergio ‘Kun’ AgĂŒero from the pitch, AtlĂ©tico de Madrid and Liverpool faced off at Anfield, one of the most storied stadiums in Europe. The ‘rojiblancos’ weren’t alone, as around 2,600 Atleti supporters traveled to Liverpool to, once again, cheer on their team unconditionally.

In his second season as a ‘Red’, the striker from Fuenlabrada again heard his name coming from the mouths of all the AtlĂ©tico fans who showed up to attend the match, and who also insistently called for the presence of ‘Kun’ AgĂŒero on the field of the British stadium. The atmosphere was exceptional and the match became a football party, as two teams united by a single feeling went to battle.

In the opening minutes, when both teams were feeling each other out, Liverpool was characterized by their intensity and they showed it on the first ball into the area, which stemmed from a corner kick, although the Atleti back line didn’t have many problems in clearing the danger. AtlĂ©tico de Madrid was looking for quickness and accuracy in their passes, but the Reds were able to apply lots of pressure on them.

Little by Little, Rafa Benítez’s side began to advance their lines. On a corner kick taken by Gerrard in minute 12, the English squad could have taken advantage of a poor clearance by Leo Franco, but luck was on Atleti’s side on that play. The home team made a push and Keane almost put away the first of the night in minute 14 after getting past Perea and trying to beat Leo Franco on the ground, but the shot went just wide of the post.

Nacho Ambriz, who occupied suspended Javier Aguirre’s spot on the bench, wanted to give instructions for the team to pressure and try to push forward from the sidelines, and it seemed like his players listened to him. Portuguese winger Simão took in a pass from Pernía and tried to first time it past Reina, but his shot went just high.

Xabi Alonso made a fine pass in minutes 25 to his country man Riera, but the Spaniard’s shot also went barely wide of Leo Franco’s right post. The Liverpool players were carrying the weight of the game and the Argentinean’s goal seemed more vulnerable with each passing minute.

Liverpool’s clearest chance came in minute 33 of the first half from the boots of Keane, but Leo Franco charged out and took the ball off his feet with a tremendous play to save the Atleti interests. Things then changed in the blink of an eye. Maxi RodrĂ­guez made the AtlĂ©tico fans’ dreams come true. In minute 37, a magnificent play threaded together by Heitinga and Antonio LĂłpez, who had a fantastic first touch to control the long pass from the centre back, sent through the Argentine, who skillfully finished off the play by beating Reina to the far post in the first clear attack from Ambriz’s side.

In minute 56 of the match, Agger could have leveled after a free kick taken by captain Steven Gerrard, but his shot ended up going over. The encounter began to pick up speed and both teams enjoyed chances. First ForlĂĄn, who created himself some room with pace but his pass didn’t find a shooter, and right after a good chance for Liverpool came from the feet of Gerrard, who was one of the most active players of the match, along with Agger, who got off a shot only metres from Leo, though the keeper was once again a savior for AtlĂ©tico.

The siege on AtlĂ©tico’s goal was constant. A perfect combination between Keane and Gerrard caused nerves in the Atleti faithful, as the Liverpool captain almost beat Leo Franco. Ambriz wanted to give his side more bite and brought on Kun AgĂŒero, who brought about applause from the public on the first ball he touched.

Coming up on 80 minutes, the Argentine forward got away with speed and dropped the ball for Maniche, but his shot was cut off by Carragher, who kept out what seemed like a sure goal. It appeared as if luck was on Leo Franco’s side as Ngog unleashed a shot headed for inside the post that the Argentinean netminder wrapped up.

Things got a bit crazy for both teams. AtlĂ©tico de Madrid wanted to increase their cushion by playing the counter attack and Liverpool fought to keep possession of the ball. Leo Franco became the star of the night, as he repeatedly pushed away all of Liverpool’s attempts.

And then the culminating moment of the night arrived. Incredulity was plastered on the faces of the AtlĂ©tico supporters when the referee called an inexistent penalty on Mariano PernĂ­a which gave way to the Liverpool equalizer. It was a result that Rafa BenĂ­tez’s players didn’t expect due to the scoring chances that they had wasted.

LIVERPOOL, 1 (Gerrad, penalty); ATLÉTICO DE MADRID, 1 (Maxi).

Liverpool: Reina; Arbeloa, Carragher, Agger, Fabio Aurelio; Xabi Alonso, Mascherano (Lucas Leiva, 76’); Kuyt, Gerrard, Riera (Babel, 60’); and Keane (Ngog, 70’).

AtlĂ©tico de Madrid: Leo Franco; Antonio LĂłpez, Heitinga, Perea, PernĂ­a; Paulo Assunção; Maxi, RaĂșl GarcĂ­a, Maniche, SimĂŁo (Luis GarcĂ­a, 89’); and ForlĂĄn (‘Kun’ AgĂŒero, 70’).

Árbitro: Martin Hansson (Sweden). Showed yellow cards to Maniche (66’), PernĂ­a (94’), Heitinga (95’) and ‘Kun’ AgĂŒero (96’).

Incidents: Anfield Stadium. 42.010 spectators. Match corresponding to matchday 4ÂȘ of the Champions League group stage.

GOALS
      0-1 (37’). Maxi controls in the area and beats Reina.
      1-1 (94’). Gerrard scores a penalty kick.

Wish our offal did match reports that good!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,484 posts | 8671 
      Reply #174: Nov 05, 2008 01:53:48 pm
      A really good read that.

How impressive were their fans though! They even put the Marseille fans last season to shame.

And that scarf-waving and bouncing after the goal was just boss!
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Reply #175: Nov 05, 2008 01:57:48 pm
      I was watching it on TV and they were all linked bouncing and chanting. Was great to watch. Shame we can't seem to get all the lazy gits going at the moment. Someone tell them it'll keep them warm!
      Crazy Horse
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,324 posts | 39 
      Reply #176: Nov 05, 2008 02:23:55 pm
      A disappointing game for me, the 'Pool had chances but failed to notch and when that happens.............  the story always unfolds the away team breaks and scores with their first shot on goal!

The movement was poor and we looked devoid of ideas at times. We had loads of corners but only won one header from them and that was right at the end! The officials were very poor, It was a soft penalty we won, the ref pointed for a goal kick and it was the Linesman who gave the spot kick but I can't help feeling he was just leveling things up for not giving the peno when the Athletico defender had earlier taken up playing basketball in his own area! These officials bring this sort of pressure on themselves at times.

Athletico got exactly what they can to Liverpool for, and that was a draw. Gerrard made the most of the penalty incident and those challenges are never a foul for me no matter where they happen on the pitch, rumour has it it used to be a mans game once upon a time! But technically, there was contact and by the laws of the modern game a penalty it is. And I think a draw is a very fair result.

So after all that said after 18 games of our season we are on level points at the top of the league and are 1 win away from progression in the Champions league. For a big part this has been achieved with out the services of our star striker. The truth is our squad isn't as good as the other big teams and if we loose any of our big guns we won't look as good. For me Torres movement is sheer class and that's what we missed last night. The luck we need this season is to have all our star players fit, our squad might not be as good as others but I do believe our 1st choice team is and is now a match for any side in England and Europe (just ask Chavski or Man Ure  ;)). We do have some worrying problems like the full back positions but I don't think there is a team in Europe, from what I've seen that doesn't have a similar problem is some position on the pitch.

I am disappointed that we didn't seal our qualification last night but things aren't too bad and there are alot of teams that would like to be in our position right now. We need to have Reina, Carra, Agger, Masch, Gerrard and Torres fit for remainder of the season. Like I said that's the luck we need in football and if we get that we will be challenging for League and European honours at the end of the season.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #177: Nov 05, 2008 03:10:32 pm
      I guess another draw with the strongest opposition in the group is acceptable. But i rather have a win cause that makes the bounce back from the weekend defeat sweeter.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #178: Nov 05, 2008 04:01:08 pm
      I guess another draw with the strongest opposition in the group is acceptable. But i rather have a win cause that makes the bounce back from the weekend defeat sweeter.

Don't get me wrong.  The result was not the worst in the world.  They were the best side for us to face in the group.  They showed that in the second half in Madrid.

It was the negative tactics and the manner of the performance which was worrying.

I'm sure we've lost a few friends in Madrid.  Was having a look on some of the Atleti forums, and though my Spanish is distinctly average, I don't think we're their biggest fans.  'sh*t airport, sh*t fans, binning my Liverpool shirt' - that kind of thing.

Obviously they're claiming a UEFA/Platini conspiracy but to be fair if there was one then we would have got one of the 'blatant' penalties earlier in the game.

Plus the fact UEFA hate us more than Atletico.

Maybe they're just the 'bitters' of Madrid?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #179: Nov 05, 2008 04:04:42 pm
      Just got back from Liverpool about an hour ago, I had to have a coffee to keep me awake, was quite late going to bed after we'd been drinking in the pub, not sure if we were celebrating being lucky and getting a draw, or drowning our sorrows with the state of play up top........I am getting more and more frustrated with Robbie Keane, he had a great chance to score last night and cocked it up big time, although in fairness to him, playing him as a lone striker just doesn't suit him at all.

But in the end my Man Stevie did the business for us again and got us level, I think a draw was probably a fair result in the end, again though we had a lot of chances  but failed to score......we really missed Torres last night and I bet he was sitting in the stands biting his nails, and kicking every ball, he wouldn't have missed some of those opportunities, but like I said to Kenny last night, with Torres being out injured, who else have we got to play up front with Keane?

When you really think about it, we haven't got anybody of any worth, cos N'Gog certainly isn't good enough, I would love to see Nemeth given a go when he's back from injury and match fit again, but Mr 'too cautious' Benitez won't give him a chance.........I'm not slagging Rafa off, I love Rafa to bits and think he is the man to lead us to the title, but I do think he can be to reserved with his options.

I just can't wait for Torres to be back, I really thought he'd be on the bench last night, even if to only scare the sh*t of of the opposition .

To be honest though no-one stood out for Liverpool last night it was a lacklustre performance, and the passing at times was diabolical, in fact it was embarrassing at times, we just couldn't seem to get a grip on the game, and were hurried into making mistakes, nobody looked hungry enough.  :(

All credit to their fans for making some noise last night, at times they put the Liverpool fans to shame, the 'Kop' was very quiet last night  :o

I was at Anfield this morning, and the place was swarming with A.Madrid fans all queuing up to get into the Museum, obviously envious at our European achievements, and they were buying the shop out, all wanting Liverpool shirts with, guess who? on the back.........Fernando Torres...Liverpool's Number Nine  ;)

Anyway it was a good journey there and back and it was nice to meet up with Redkenny, Venison and JD again and talk footy and have a few beers .

I feel a thrashing coming on...........I hope so anyway, we really could do with a good convincing 4 or 5 nil victory.

WBA, beware your next. 

JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #180: Nov 05, 2008 04:06:54 pm
      ^^ Good to hear that they were still buying our stuff MsG and not wanting to destroy the gaff. 

Their fans back at home, or at least the ones posting messages, don't feel the same way. ;)

MsGerrard
      Reply #181: Nov 05, 2008 04:13:58 pm
      ^^^^^  I guess the fans that were there last night feel slightly different, they will have been caught up in 'Torres Mania' they may change their mind when they get back home though, and see an action replay of the game  ::)
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,683 posts | 6980 
      Reply #182: Nov 05, 2008 04:20:56 pm
      Sky are fanning the flames.

Swedish referee Martin Hansson has conceded he is unsure if he was right to award Liverpool a late penalty on Tuesday night.

Hansson pointed to the spot in injury-time of the Reds' UEFA Champions League draw with Atletico Madrid after Steven Gerrard went down under a challenge from Marian Pernia.

Gerrard dispatched the penalty to cancel out Maxi Rodriguez's first-half goal and leave Rafa Benitez's side level on points with Atletico at the top of Group D.

Hansson told SVT: "From my angle, I am not sure if it was a penalty. I am not allowed to comment on specific situations according to Uefa."

The official has come in for criticism in Sweden in recent weeks after three debatable penalty decisions.

It was obvious it was the linesman's decision at the time.
      MIGUELONE28
      • On Trial

• 4 posts |
      Re: Liverpool v Atletico Madrid -- match thread
      Reply #183: Nov 05, 2008 06:55:50 pm
       Hi Friend, I'm Atletico fan and I was yesterday there.
       First, we don't think different things about liverpool team and supporters now. It didn't change any idea. The things you are reading are because we had a really bad experience in the liverpool airport, totally collapsed, and people sleeping in the floor waiting for the security control, 6 people working for 3.000 people at the same time. Very bad organised, it is true, but it is not the liverpool supporters.
       Also the match would be different if the refs have the quality for champions league, would be different with a good ref. maybe better for liverpool maybe better for Atletico, but we cannot be Roth with this kind of match that the result is what the ref wants.
       About Platini and Marseille I would like to saw you some videos etc.. if we do the same thing in Anfield as the marseille fans did in the Madrid, I'm sure we would have problems with the police and with the liverpool fans, they star shooting bottles to the Atletico fans, to children's, old people and who ever was there. After that the police went to take out a flag because appear icons of violence and there start the fight with the police. The result is 2 match without go our field to watch our team because Marsella is the PlatiniÂŽs team. We are F..cked with this situation.
       So please don't take this conclusion because you are reading posts of angry people for our bad experience in liverpool airport. I want to change your point of view because I like liverpool fans and team from many years ago, and I cannot accept to see one red angry with us.
       Sorry for my English...

Also thanks to all liverpool, we had very good time there, people very polite, I get some friends there drinking and singing together in the centre before the match. (is true I saw you fans, better in the TV, I know you sing more than I saw... maybe bad day....)

Forza Torres....
       Miguel...

Don't get me wrong.  The result was not the worst in the world.  They were the best side for us to face in the group.  They showed that in the second half in Madrid.

It was the negative tactics and the manner of the performance which was worrying.

I'm sure we've lost a few friends in Madrid.  Was having a look on some of the Atleti forums, and though my Spanish is distinctly average, I don't think we're their biggest fans.  'sh*t airport, sh*t fans, binning my Liverpool shirt' - that kind of thing.

Obviously they're claiming a UEFA/Platini conspiracy but to be fair if there was one then we would have got one of the 'blatant' penalties earlier in the game.

Plus the fact UEFA hate us more than Atletico.

Maybe they're just the 'bitters' of Madrid?
      « Last Edit: Nov 05, 2008 08:58:48 pm by Venison 86, Reason: Spell checked »

Quick Reply