Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 8th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Liverpool v Atletico Madrid -- match thread

Read 13783 times
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,499 posts | 8678 
      Re: Liverpool v Atletico Madrid -- match thread
      Reply #184: Nov 05, 2008 07:16:15 pm
      totally colapsed, and people sleeping in the floor waiting for the security control

Ha ha luckily then you didn't have to experience Istanbul or Athens. Those airports we had to go through were about the same size as John Lennon airport and had to deal with about 40,000
      MsGerrard
      Reply #185: Nov 05, 2008 09:33:45 pm
      I agree with you there.
      Some were going on 87 mins, I just dont understand why so called fans do that.

Some were walking out at 82 minutes !!  Disgraceful
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #186: Nov 05, 2008 09:48:06 pm
      Just back from the game.

Well played the Atletico fans put in a good performance. Our fans? F***ing useless.  An embarrassment to me and everyone else on here.  But more of that later.

To be honest a point was the right result - as it was in Madrid. We are clearly meant to meet them again in this tournament.

Our passing was shocking.  I've said before that playing with one up front at Anfield is a complete embarrasment.  Benitez needs to be a bit more adventurous or this tactic could really destroy us.

That said, they scored from pretty much their only chance in the entire game.

They certainly didn't have a single shot in the second half, and we were camped in their half.

The press may like to speculate that this was a lucky result - but we definitely deserved the draw.

Robbie Keane though - looking more like our biggest ever flop by the game.

I must start by agreeing about the fans.  The Atletico supporters were first class - ours were pathetic in comparison.  This is becoming worryingly common on these European Nights and I'm at a loss to explain why.
      I think our passing blew hot and cold although I can understand that the bad ones stick in the memory.

What I think we definitely got wrong was our tactics.  In defence of Robbie Keane he is not a player to play on his own up front.  It was never likely to work.  Atletico's tactics were spot on.  Pack the midfield and the defence and hit us on the break.  Their goal was a superb example of how to execute this approach.  The break out from defence was rapid, the control and first touch of the striker excellent and the shot unstoppable.  Something we could not achieve.  Our build up was far too slow and more often long balls were pumped forward and easily dealt with by Atletico's defence.  Our best striker on the pitch was Agger who could have ended up an absolute hero if he was a bit sharper and more match fit. 

We have beaten Man U and Chelski without Torres but wasn't this with two up front.

Sorry Rafa but I think tactically you came second best last night.

I risked a cup of coffee at the ground.  I thought it might be foul.  I wasn't disappointed.

Anyway we are still in with a great chance of getting through to the next round, joint top of the league and Fernando is nearing a return.  Looking for a big improvement on Saturday.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #187: Nov 07, 2008 01:23:43 am
      Hi Friend, I'm Atletico fan and I was yesterday there.
       First, we don't think different things about liverpool team and supporters now. It didn't change any idea. The things you are reading are because we had a really bad experience in the liverpool airport, totally collapsed, and people sleeping in the floor waiting for the security control, 6 people working for 3.000 people at the same time. Very bad organised, it is true, but it is not the liverpool supporters.
       Also the match would be different if the refs have the quality for champions league, would be different with a good ref. maybe better for liverpool maybe better for Atletico, but we cannot be Roth with this kind of match that the result is what the ref wants.
       About Platini and Marseille I would like to saw you some videos etc.. if we do the same thing in Anfield as the marseille fans did in the Madrid, I'm sure we would have problems with the police and with the liverpool fans, they star shooting bottles to the Atletico fans, to children's, old people and who ever was there. After that the police went to take out a flag because appear icons of violence and there start the fight with the police. The result is 2 match without go our field to watch our team because Marsella is the PlatiniĀ“s team. We are F..cked with this situation.
       So please don't take this conclusion because you are reading posts of angry people for our bad experience in liverpool airport. I want to change your point of view because I like liverpool fans and team from many years ago, and I cannot accept to see one red angry with us.
       Sorry for my English...

Also thanks to all liverpool, we had very good time there, people very polite, I get some friends there drinking and singing together in the centre before the match. (is true I saw you fans, better in the TV, I know you sing more than I saw... maybe bad day....)

Forza Torres....
       Miguel...

Thanks very much Miguel. Good to see the obvious friendliness on the pitch is still shared among the fans. The way the Atletico fans acted, from what i saw on TV, was impeccible and a credit to them as they came to cheer Fernando and their team without any nonsense. It made me feel very sad however that our fans resembled stunned mullets compared to their chants.

Quick Reply