Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Steven Gerrard's "dive" and "loss of respect" for him

Read 17887 times
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Steven Gerrard's "dive" and "loss of respect" for him
      Nov 04, 2008 10:03:46 pm
      I just saw a comment on the BBC website saying someone had "lost a lot of respect" he had for Gerrard because of the penalty incident against Athletico Madrid.

I was wondering do you guys feel the same?

Is it alright to "play" for the penalty when you are desperate?

Can Gerrard ever comment on other "divers" again or will he be deemed to be a hypocrite?

I personally believe that he did dive and played for the penalty. It was a desperate time so I see why he did it. I hope he is honest and says the complete truth but I am not sure if he will.
      paulrobbo
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,875 posts | 106 
      • We are the Mods!
      Re: Steven Gerrard's "dive" and "loss of respect" for him
      Reply #1: Nov 04, 2008 10:06:25 pm
      He didn't dive. Far from it. He was barged over. I think the argument was, if it was shoulder to shoulder. As both Rafa and Stevie said, if that'd happen outside the 18 yard box we would've had a free kick (with probably no protests from the Atletico players).
      « Last Edit: Nov 04, 2008 10:12:48 pm by paulrobbo, Reason: added a bit »
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #2: Nov 04, 2008 10:08:40 pm
      Firstly, when i first saw it i wa slike "Yes, but it shouldn't have been a penalty". Until Gerrard said what he said (about getting pushed in the back after heading if first) made me think that it was a definate penalty. I then saw the replay and still felt the same way.
      Eem

• 6,018 posts | 89 
      Reply #3: Nov 04, 2008 10:13:04 pm
      I think he did make the most of it, but there was contact, no where near the ball, in theory it is a penalty, but I think it was VERY soft.

No loss of respect, though. Class act 99% of the time.
      T-Unit-LFC
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 403 posts | 11 
      • We Won It 5 Times!
      Reply #4: Nov 04, 2008 10:24:14 pm
      They can suck my balls as far as im concerned, thats the way the game is nowdays and if Ronaldo and Drogba and other wankers like that can get away with it then might aswell follow suite!

Nah..Being totally honest I dont agree with diving but when one of your own does it you cant help but shout for joy if it wins you something!

I dont think Gerrard dived anyway, top class player who held his nerve to clinch a deserved point at the very least!

You wont catch me complaining hehe!
      robbyr
      • The king of randomness and highly intellectual debate
      • Banned

• 2,684 posts | 27 
      Reply #5: Nov 04, 2008 10:24:53 pm
      complete respect for ste... his momentum got him the penalty, nobody else would have the heart to jump in like that, its called passion, he has it for the reds, and he never gives up, well done steve you got us the point with a GREAT piece of play
      BLEED_RED
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 604 posts | 22 
      • American Kopite
      Reply #6: Nov 04, 2008 10:47:03 pm
      I don't think he dove but the penalty was lucky to be given, BUT we got f***ed so many times during that game and the previous leg with penalties that were not given we should have gotten pens when we just stepped into the box. Every year I find myself saying I hope the refs in Europe will be better, and every year we get the same guys who are scared to make the proper but Big call, this needs to change and soon!
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #7: Nov 04, 2008 11:02:05 pm
      10 times out of 10 that would have have been a foul out-side the box so why does it change once your inside. There were 4 pens in that game tonight but only one got given, all in all the ref was poor and so were the linesman but at least they got one decision right and thank god it was for us because we again should have had a few goals before they scored and in the second half we should have scored even more, (starting to remind me of past seasons). Hurry up back Nando we need you.....
      Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #8: Nov 04, 2008 11:08:58 pm
      That was never a penalty but it was given Gerrard did make the most of it. There was contact but considering where Gerrard was in the box and the fact he's back was to the goal it should never have been given. It ended up earning us a valuable draw though.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,013 posts | 3352 
      Reply #9: Nov 04, 2008 11:14:39 pm
      If it'd be given up the other end then I'd be callin' their player all the cheatin' bas**rds goin' because it was minimumal in terms of contact. But we got it, he put it away and I don't lose any respect for Stevie because of it. At that time of the match, when you're one down, you have to be a little less sportsman like and go down easily.
      aw1
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,303 posts | 22 
      Reply #10: Nov 04, 2008 11:52:30 pm
      Well done Stevie ,kept going till the end. It is either a foul or not, no such  thing as soft. It was a foul end off Gerrard got the ball , he didn't correct decision.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #11: Nov 05, 2008 12:16:54 am
      He did'nt dive, he got to the ball 1st and was hit in the back, and like he pointed out if it was anywhere else on the pitch then a free kick would have been given.

Also it just makes up for the one not given.

I would'nt pay any attention to that pillock who said it because it wa probably a manc or another jealous fan.

Steven Gerrard reflected on Liverpool's last-gasp draw with Atletico Madrid at Anfield and insisted: "It was a penalty." 
      The Reds remained on course for Champions League qualification after Gerrard picked himself up from being fouled in the area and slotted the spot kick high into the Kop net.

The final whistle was met with vociferous appeals from the Madrid players who felt the officials had got the decision wrong - but Gerrard insists there should be no controversy around the call.

"I'll have to have another look at it, but in my mind it was a penalty," he said. "I got there first and he came into the back of me. If it had happened anywhere else on the pitch it would be a free kick, so it was a penalty.

"I can understand their disappointment because of the timing of it. If it had happened at the other end we would have been livid. But that's football and we have to move on.

"It was a big result for us tonight and a big point. Good teams usually don't lose two games in a row and so it was important we got something.

"The first half wasn't good enough and we know that. We upped it in the second half, played at a higher tempo and pressed harder. We're still in a strong position in the group now.

"We showed a lot of character tonight and we have to take that into the next league game."

Link
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #12: Nov 05, 2008 12:19:26 am
      As they say, 'that's football'.

We should have had a pen before that incident anyway so justice was done in the end if it was a dive. Haven't seen the foul replayed yet.

adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #13: Nov 05, 2008 12:22:17 am
      He has dived in games before so I dunno why people are shocked about it. :f_doh:
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #14: Nov 05, 2008 12:39:27 am
      He was knocked off the ball.  What a F***ing stupid topic to start.  In fact it's only staying up to provide you with embarrassment.
      DM Osbon
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,505 posts | 13 
      Reply #15: Nov 05, 2008 12:43:50 am
      He was knocked off the ball.  What a F***ing stupid topic to start.  In fact it's only staying up to provide you with embarrassment.

yikes... :couch:
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6726 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #16: Nov 05, 2008 02:59:06 am
      Definitely don't think it was a penalty but like SG said, if it happened anywhere else on the pitch it's a free kick....agreed he got nudged in the back but it wasn't that forceful....would have been gutted if it happened down the other end.

End of story, we got it, SG converted and got us a point. Lets move on.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #17: Nov 05, 2008 06:27:54 am
      No dive that Atl madrid player did not attempt to go for the ball he went straight for Gerrard therefore a penalty simple as that, we all know if you dont play the ball its a free kick or in this case a penalty we should have had two of them any way for the hand balls but as it is the penalty on Gerrard was legit.

Even Big Phil said so  ;D

I think if some one could find the highlight of it you will see it was not soft Gerrard got slammed into with NO attempt to play the ball.
      « Last Edit: Nov 05, 2008 06:33:12 am by dizzy141 »
      neilh2105
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,275 posts | 37 
      Reply #18: Nov 05, 2008 07:46:47 am
      It wasn't a pen full stop. I'm old enough to read someones face in an instant and Stevie knows exactally what he did!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #19: Nov 05, 2008 08:13:58 am
      If that penalty made the difference to winning  the European Champions Cup or losing would people still criticise Stevie Gerrard,I think not.As pointed out by other posters we should of had a legitimate penalty earlier.Anyway it was good to see Chelsea get a hiding by J.A.Rs Roma even if he only played for a couple of minutes. Sorry for going off topic MODS but it brightened my night when I saw that result.
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #20: Nov 05, 2008 08:47:57 am
      I thought he got head butted from where I was sitting in the Kop. 

I seen it again on ITV when I got home, I thought maybe it was a bit of exaggeration from Stevie but I do think it was a pen.

But hey, as they say; what goes around, comes around. 

That was our 3RD clear cut penalty shout and we deserved at least one, but the most confusing part is that we got the one that looked the most unconvincing!

World Class penalty though, I do believe if the Goalkeeper saved it he would of ended up parrying it back at Gerrard. ;)
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #21: Nov 05, 2008 09:06:23 am
      Definately no loss of respect. A result driven business and he found a way to bring his team out of jail. We should have won in Madrid if it werent for the stupid ref so i see it as karma. We should have had 2 in the first 20 odd minutes this morning too.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #22: Nov 05, 2008 09:19:10 am
      It was a soft pen - don't get me wrong.  But as SG said - anywhere else on the pitch and it would have been a foul.

Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      • Cut my veins open and I bleed Liverpool Red.
      Reply #23: Nov 05, 2008 11:35:29 am
      Very debatable but we earlier had many penalties which one should have been given but we got none. So, guess you win some and you lose some
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #24: Nov 05, 2008 12:05:24 pm
      Bit of a sh*te thread this one!  ::)

What player wouldn't go down in the penalty area when they got pushed in the back?  ::) This was just more eye-catching because we were one down and it was the last couple of minutes of the match.

There was contact so he dropped, simple. It wasn't like he threw himself around without being touched FFS.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #25: Nov 05, 2008 12:37:32 pm
      It wasn't like he threw himself around without being touched FFS.

Exactly.  One thing going down after a 'fantasy' challenge - completely different when a defender jumps in to a 50-50 in the penalty area.  It was a clumsy bit of defending.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #26: Nov 05, 2008 12:48:20 pm
      Exactly.  One thing going down after a 'fantasy' challenge - completely different when a defender jumps in to a 50-50 in the penalty area.  It was a clumsy bit of defending.

That's what I thought.

I'm not saying that I think it was a penalty, I said last night on the match thread that IMO it wasn't, but I didn't think Gerrard was simulating either. He went down under the challenge, the rest was the referee's understanding of the incident.
      kelv78
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,913 posts | 14 
      Reply #27: Nov 05, 2008 12:54:20 pm
      It was a soft one to get but we didnt deserve to lose the game and should have had a pen earlier on anyway,id have been fuming if it was at the other end and they had been awarded it but like they say thats football for you.
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,539 posts | 34 
      • Right or wrong, its MY opinion.
      Reply #28: Nov 05, 2008 01:01:02 pm
      It wasn't a pen full stop. I'm old enough to read someones face in an instant and Stevie knows exactally what he did!

It was a clumsy attempt at getting the ball, he failled, penalty given.  End of story.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #29: Nov 05, 2008 03:27:44 pm
      dived my a---se - it was 100% body contact,50% illegal and 0% ball contact if thats not a pen tell me what is ,can't be doin with all these titheads talkin about lucky again either but then again its just a wind up from spiteful gobshites who can only dream of attaining the same success as LFC.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #30: Nov 05, 2008 05:10:52 pm

Thanks for that. I'm pretty new on this forum and I start a topic and all you do is say something like that.

Cheers.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #31: Nov 05, 2008 05:18:50 pm
      chats o6  how the F**k can you question gerrard!

how many times have we been victims of simulation.
      stevo was knocked of the ball in the box,the madrid player had his arm across his face to me that is a foul and pen.

for fucks sake defend your player you tw*t.
      « Last Edit: Nov 05, 2008 05:25:50 pm by shabbadoo »
      LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #32: Nov 05, 2008 05:44:35 pm
      chats......forget the media. Let's look at the facts

http://www.d1g.com/video/show/?id=2424055

In this clip, the slow mo from the side, you see the atletico defender lead in with his right arm that blocks Gerrard.Gerrard's head gets there first.

It's a subtle move from the athletico defender but cynical as he knew Gerrard was powering into the box.

It's a free kick anywhere else on the pitch and a penalty.
      « Last Edit: Nov 05, 2008 06:35:30 pm by LondonRed »
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #33: Nov 05, 2008 06:52:42 pm
      They were both going for the ball. Gerrard was there first and was then knocked by the defender.

My first reaction was 'that's not a pen' but it was a foul. A foul in the box. Therefore it was a penalty.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #34: Nov 05, 2008 06:55:58 pm

Why we are discussing this action in yesterday's game ?  Its a penalty, you can see the defender's elbow and shoulder blocking Stevie ,who gets the ball with his head ,and empeded to continue the action

And why are we not discussing the clear hands in the penalty area earlier, ignored by the same officials

barrymanulow
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,014 posts | -14 
      Reply #35: Nov 05, 2008 06:56:20 pm
      Players with a turn of speed will always fall over more easily than others. Gerrard, as does Ronaldo, as does Drogba, all have that extra pace on the ball, and at their speed, any contact will knock them over. The growing trend that is bothering me is for players to knock the ball around the defender and then rampage straight into the defender, leaving the defender without any hope of avoiding the contact. Referees need to be more aware of this tactic and do as the basketball officials do and call it a "charge"  awarding a free kick to the defender. Ronaldo is probably the biggest culprit when it comes to this tactic, and when referres are awake to it he carries on like a spoilt brat waving his hands around like a girl. Referees need to start booking him for dissent to put a stop to this. Liverpool are getting the rub of the green this season, getting late goals and few decisions here and there, but it is no more than Man Utd and Chelsea got in their title winning seasons.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #36: Nov 05, 2008 06:59:27 pm
      How any red can ever say they lost respect for Gerrard is beyond me. I didnt think he dived but if he did he isnt the first and wont be the last to do it.Lose respect for Gerrard? Hes a living Liverpool legend for christ sake
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #37: Nov 05, 2008 07:04:00 pm
      How any red can ever say they lost respect for Gerrard is beyond me. I didnt think he dived but if he did he isnt the first and wont be the last to do it.Lose respect for Gerrard? Hes a living Liverpool legend for christ sake

The Chelsea flirtations had a few people understandably questioning him fella, don't you forget! :D

All forgiven now of course! ;) ::)
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #38: Nov 05, 2008 07:21:54 pm
      i think it as a pen, a soft one, but a definite spotter.

i think the only reason some people got their knickers in a twist is that we should have had two other pens (and i've seen their two shouts given as well) that were even more nailed on than the one we got.  out of all the pens that shockin ref could have gave, he goes and gives the softest one.

at the end of the day, who gives a sh*t.  we got it.  we scored it.  now we move on
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #39: Nov 05, 2008 07:26:06 pm
      It was definetly a soft penalty. Gerrard did go down easily, but in that situation, one down with seconds left id expect him to do it every time. So he did the right thing in my opinion. A stronger referee would have waved it away.
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #40: Nov 05, 2008 07:26:27 pm
      at the end of the day, who gives a sh*t.  we got it.  we scored it.  now we move on

My sentiments exactly.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #41: Nov 06, 2008 04:39:19 am
      Another reason these topics about diving came up is because it was in the 95th minute and we were 1 nil down
      berrypool
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 328 posts |
      • L.A. for LFC
      Reply #42: Nov 06, 2008 08:04:19 am
      I have had so many stupid friends send stupid youtube videos to me that show gerrard "diving" in other games.  anyone have any good rebuttles? All I have been saying is., "Foul on the field; penalty in the box"....
      LFC-Red
      • Banned

• 553 posts | 15 
      • Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.
      Reply #43: Nov 06, 2008 01:28:19 pm
      Can Gerrard ever comment on other "divers" again or will he be deemed to be a hypocrite?

He has been labelled a hypocrite about it, in his autobiography talking of Ronaldo and how its ruining the game. Then you see about 7 or 8 instances from different games where Gerrard has dived.

Face it, he is prone to the odd dive. Have I lost respect for him NEVER

BTW, like it or not that was never a penalty against A.Madrid the other nigh, but hey, I'm not complaining.
      dannyboylfc
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 82 posts |
      • I Just Can't Get Enough!!!!
      Reply #44: Nov 06, 2008 01:43:20 pm
      personally i haven't lost my respect for stevie and im not saying it wasnt a penalty but if aguero or another player did that if we where one nil up in the 95th minute im sure alot of you woudnt be very happy but im not complaining 
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #45: Nov 06, 2008 02:11:54 pm
      personally i haven't lost my respect for stevie and im not saying it wasnt a penalty but if aguero or another player did that if we where one nil up in the 95th minute im sure alot of you woudnt be very happy but im not complaining 

Of course.  It was a soft decision.  But it was a pretty stupid challenge - especially as Gerrard probably would have put the ball out for a goal kick.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #46: Nov 06, 2008 03:13:06 pm
      At one point of time in a player's career, he will dive. You can't expect everyone to be angels. I won't ever lose my respect for Stevie.

People are always remembered for all the best things they have done and for ONE stupid thing they do. Let's remember Stevie for all his milestones and records.
      vydex
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 154 posts | -5 
      Reply #47: Nov 06, 2008 04:34:31 pm
      I just saw a comment on the BBC website saying someone had "lost a lot of respect" he had for Gerrard because of the penalty incident against Athletico Madrid.

I was wondering do you guys feel the same?

Is it alright to "play" for the penalty when you are desperate?

I personally believe that he did dive and played for the penalty. It was a desperate time so I see why he did it. I hope he is honest and says the complete truth but I am not sure if he will.

Anywhere else on the pitch and the ref would have given a freekick. So therefore its a fcuking pen, the ref was fcuking mental anyways..
      red hat
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #48: Nov 06, 2008 06:38:30 pm
      This was a penalty simple.
      red hat
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #49: Nov 06, 2008 06:44:33 pm
      The Chelsea flirtations had a few people understandably questioning him fella, don't you forget! :D

All forgiven now of course! ;) ::)

It could be argued that he was using leveridge to boost the squad as well as his wages which were well behind other top players i dont think he ever needed forgiving.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #50: Nov 06, 2008 07:01:32 pm
      I honestly don't know if it should have been a penalty or not. Only seen it twice, once in full motion and once on slow motion. Full motion it did look a penalty but slow motion replay it didnt. However, this doesnt matter because we should of had a penalty earlier on and we didnt get it so it gets evened out in my eyes :).

Loss of respect!! What a joke, whatever liverpool fan has lost respect for gerrard then they arent a true fan. If we was to all lose respect for gerrard over 1 dive or whatever some people are classing it as then what the bloody hell should manure fans feel towards ronaldo ;D.
      Mildrop
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 207 posts |
      Reply #51: Nov 06, 2008 07:16:16 pm
      Stupid topic, lets start one called "Am I really a Liverpool Supporter"

/calls for thread lock and Banhammer
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #52: Nov 06, 2008 09:57:45 pm
      Didn't Ronaldo roll 20 or 30 yards down the pitch when he got tripped up by a Bitter?

... And people talk about this as if it's the world ending? Get over it ...
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1631 
      Reply #53: Nov 06, 2008 10:15:42 pm
      A local lad who has given all to the cause on numerous occasions no loss of respect and anyone who has should have a long think in a dark room, and if still of the same opinion go and support someone else ,end of.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #54: Nov 06, 2008 10:26:07 pm
      I couldn't make my mind up weather or not the athletico player has his eyes on the ball or Stevie and I've watched it seven or eight times. There was contact with his forearm which knocked stevie off balance when he was first to the ball. A dive ? More of a flop, probably tried to convince the ref, like they all do. Goal scoreing oportunity ? probably not, so the offending player wasn't sent off.  Ref's view ? not convincing so he asks his assitant who has a better view, and he says penalty.  Simple, There's nothing wrong with that, with one second at most to make a decision, right or wrong these sort of debateable decisions are made, probably in every game. Some in the penalty area, some not. Bonus if it goes your way, tough if there against,. Every side get's thier fair share of both throughout the season.  If West Brom get one on Sat and win 1 - 0 we'll be gutted. If they get one when we're 3 - 0 up we probably won't care too much. Thats football. Move on.
      simonmccreadie
      • Forum Youth Player

• 16 posts |
      Reply #55: Nov 06, 2008 11:28:54 pm
      ridiculous. There was no 'Dive'. Sometimes you can go down easier than others, and i'm sure if someone had offered him a billion quid to stay on his feet he may have managed it. Not to mention after you've been running constantly for 95 minutes everything is a million times harder. Why would you make a massive effort to stay on your feet when there is nothing to gain from it? Another bit of magic from a world class footballer!
      irishmick
      • Forum Youth Player

• 7 posts |
      Reply #56: Nov 06, 2008 11:59:20 pm
      give the lad a break he plays week in and week out for the liverpool shirt and not for the money
      it was a pen  and fair play to the linesman that gave it he never dived nor would he ever cheat
      the lads a true red you need to  look at the tackle the defender had no chance of playing the
      ball stevie won the pen on his honesty in trying to get there first so please eough of calling him a cheat and diver and respect him for everything hes done for the club and fans  :f_steam:
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #57: Nov 07, 2008 09:13:17 am
      Stupid topic, lets start one called "Am I really a Liverpool Supporter"

/calls for thread lock and Banhammer

I don't think the guys on about himself.
      Mildrop
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 207 posts |
      Reply #58: Nov 07, 2008 09:43:28 am
      I don't think the guys on about himself.

Agreed but this is a Liverpool forum for Liverpool supporters so why would we even want to comment on such inane drivell that was written in a tabloid newspaper about probablly one of the best footballers in the world
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #59: Nov 07, 2008 10:18:53 am
      You didnt get told to comment though pal. Everybody has the right to make a topic, he chose to make one about people slaggin gerrard off for diving. Nothing wrong with that, yes its a negative thing to be writing about but every topic deserves decent replies :). Give the guy a break ;D
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #60: Nov 07, 2008 11:00:24 am
      In my opinion, it was a penalty. Why?
      1) The Ref gave it.
      2) The history books will say
      Liverpool            1-1      Atletico Madrid
      Gerrard (pen) 90+5         Maxi 37

Now if I was the ref (unbiased  ;D), would I have given the Pen, probally not, :o.
      But how mant weird decisions have gone against us?
      Chelsea Pen last year at Anfield
      Goal against Stoke
      Goals against Athletico in the first game...etc
      I think we could lay this to bed as the game is over, the final score was 1-1, whether Stevie "dived", or was fouled, or made the most of player contact, is irrelivant, other players have done this for years, we have moaned and guess what...the resulting goal still stood.
      So in all, well done for getting an equaliser and keeping us very close to the Knockout Stage.
      Mildrop
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 207 posts |
      Reply #61: Nov 07, 2008 11:17:25 am
      You didnt get told to comment though pal. Everybody has the right to make a topic, he chose to make one about people slaggin gerrard off for diving. Nothing wrong with that, yes its a negative thing to be writing about but every topic deserves decent replies :). Give the guy a break ;D

Correct I didn't get told to comment but I didn't know I was waiting for permission, Yes everybody does have the right to make a topic and yes it does deserve a decent reply.

So in reply "Please can you no longer post topics that I believe in my opinion do not further the support of the players that play for the club which I support, I find it hard enough to ignore the tabloids when they see fit to look for ways and means to bring our great clubs players down. I think that possibly the writer of the article was a supporter of a famous London club who have an overweight midfielder who plays in a similar role as Steven Gerrard. Therefore I give no credence to the article as it is only to be considered as pointless and only serves to make others feel they can claim an injustice when Liverpool are Champions of Europe......Again"

and by the way I'm not your 'Pal'
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #62: Nov 07, 2008 11:26:03 am
      In my opinion, it was a penalty. Why?
      1) The Ref gave it.
      2) The history books will say
      Liverpool            1-1      Atletico Madrid
      Gerrard (pen) 90+5         Maxi 37

Now if I was the ref (unbiased  ;D), would I have given the Pen, probally not, :o.
      But how mant weird decisions have gone against us?
      Chelsea Pen last year at Anfield
      Goal against Stoke
      Goals against Athletico in the first game...etc
      I think we could lay this to bed as the game is over, the final score was 1-1, whether Stevie "dived", or was fouled, or made the most of player contact, is irrelivant, other players have done this for years, we have moaned and guess what...the resulting goal still stood.
      So in all, well done for getting an equaliser and keeping us very close to the Knockout Stage.

An that just about sums up everything. About time we got luck and let others deal with it. Case closed.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #63: Nov 07, 2008 12:12:36 pm
      Correct I didn't get told to comment but I didn't know I was waiting for permission, Yes everybody does have the right to make a topic and yes it does deserve a decent reply.

So in reply "Please can you no longer post topics that I believe in my opinion do not further the support of the players that play for the club which I support, I find it hard enough to ignore the tabloids when they see fit to look for ways and means to bring our great clubs players down. I think that possibly the writer of the article was a supporter of a famous London club who have an overweight midfielder who plays in a similar role as Steven Gerrard. Therefore I give no credence to the article as it is only to be considered as pointless and only serves to make others feel they can claim an injustice when Liverpool are Champions of Europe......Again"

and by the way I'm not your 'Pal'

Its not up to you what somebody else posts about ;D. But then again it wasnt me that posted so im not bothered about that bit. If you want to ignore tabloids then why come on here because a lot of things on here are from tabloids too.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #64: Nov 07, 2008 12:23:33 pm
      You get luck in some games and you lose luck in others. Just that the penalty came in the wrong game for Atletico and right game for us.

This penalty is almost the same as the Malouda + Finnan last season. So we were unlucky there and we are lucky here.

Penalty or not? Dive or not? It's all gone, we score. look forward to next game and forget about this incident. This is no way to talk about our most loved player
      berrypool
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 328 posts |
      • L.A. for LFC
      Reply #65: Feb 02, 2009 11:56:13 pm
      Possibly another Dive in the Chelsea Game........  Dont like seeing it but as a player I can understand how sometimes it just happens when your working your tail off and you just don't see the play working you fall in defeat.  Plus all my friends are giving me way too much grief about his recent "dives".  he's still as hard balls as they come IMO
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #66: Feb 03, 2009 07:53:01 am
      I regret starting this thread, please may it be closed?
      Epicthunder
      • Forum Geoff Strong

• 206 posts | -1 
      Reply #67: Feb 03, 2009 08:20:55 am
      no one can blame steven for diving when every single professional player does it! it's just a natural thing they do...even the slightest touch knocks them over.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #68: Feb 03, 2009 08:22:53 am
      The most decorated footballer this year is a career diver and a milker of all contact opportunities; and we have a topic about Gerrard diving?!! Gerrard is the hardest working midfielder, consistent goal-getter, team carrier and a team motivator.

Gerrard is the best. Diving is not an ingredient in his match-winning recipe.
      Adryan
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,704 posts | 378 
      Reply #69: Feb 03, 2009 08:25:26 am
      It's easy to say someone is diving from our point of view. We aren't in the shoes of the footballers so we don't really know what happens. Sometimes, you slip and it looks like a dive. You get off balance and you fall, and people call you a diver. Sometimes, you see a dangerous challenge coming towards you and you need to get out of the way.

So it's really a subjective thing.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #70: Feb 03, 2009 09:22:47 am
      Our Stevie doesnt dive, if anything (and its beens said on here before) he gets himself out of a tackle which could cause harm
      irishjig69b
      • Forum Youth Player

• 15 posts | -6 
      Reply #71: Feb 03, 2009 09:25:53 am
      hi, as a life long liverpool fan, i think gerard is 100 the best midfielder in the  prem leauge however i do think he is abit of a diver to be honest and a player of his quilty does not need to be. :)
      mattmcg
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,410 posts | 103 
      Reply #72: Feb 03, 2009 12:04:06 pm
      To say Stevie doesn't dive is a bit blinkered IMO.  Of course he does and its the only part of his game I don't like.  I know its a part of the modern game but as someone said, a player of Gerrard's quality doesn't need to do it and I hate seeing it.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      Reply #73: Feb 03, 2009 12:51:02 pm
      He does have habit of falling BUT its only when we're in desperate need of something to go our way so i dont blame him to do it.

Against Atletico, AC Milan (Istanbul) and now he has fallen rather easily to be 100% honest but they are up to the ref's discretion. I think a yellow is too severe in the situation however.
      dizzy141
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 837 posts | 27 
      Reply #74: Feb 03, 2009 01:14:37 pm
      Was annoyed when i saw him go down you could see he was looking for the free kick and when the ref gave him the yellow it just made him look more of a tw*t. Having said that i can understand what he was thinking as the time was running out and he must of being thinking we not getting through so i gotta try anything to get the points which also goes to show his character and the passion he has for our club he would rather go down and look like a tw*t if it doesn't come off, he didn't do it at all before then it shows he is thinking of the club and doing any thing to get the points.
      crzy_jkr@u
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,774 posts | 29 
      • Rebuilding a legacy...Trust, Will, Pride, Respect.
      Reply #75: Feb 03, 2009 01:29:03 pm
      I'll have a problem with Gerrard diving, when the likes C.Ron, Drogba, LAMPARD, Quaresma and those players that are suppose to have star like qualities

It's just apart of the game, maybe not the English but certainly in Spain...Have you dived today? try it works...
      Tayls

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #76: Feb 03, 2009 02:26:05 pm
      Gerrard definitely dives, we can't really defend that but neither can any team, it'd just be hypocritical, there are divers in every team, everywhere. What Gerrard doesn't do is roll about on the floor like he's been shot, a trait you can attribute to Ronaldo, Quaresma, Drogba, Robben etc, which is just trying to get the offending player in trouble.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #77: Feb 03, 2009 02:26:42 pm
      Bit naughty this has been bumped back up a couple of days after the game.  If it was straight after I could understand.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #78: Feb 03, 2009 02:32:14 pm
      Our Stevie doesnt dive, if anything (and its beens said on here before) he gets himself out of a tackle which could cause harm

Ah come on !! That's kind of like saying Gerorge Bush isn't a war monger he's giving the world the gift of freedom !! Look the fact is every player in the league, if they are in need of a goal and feel any sort of contact in the penalty area goes down. Stevie is no different from anyone else. He cannot be accused of being in the same league as the likes of Drogba and Ronaldo on this one though !!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #79: Feb 03, 2009 05:43:12 pm
      Not even in the same league as that perennial diving gobs***e Ronaldo

Never heard anyone complaining when Hamann used to win free-kicks ;)
      Paul 08
      • Forum John Toshack

• 281 posts | -4 
      • Justice for the 96 reds
      Reply #80: Feb 03, 2009 05:57:38 pm
      I'll never lose respect for Steven Gerrard no matter what he does.
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #81: Feb 03, 2009 07:26:58 pm
      I'll never lose respect for Steven Gerrard no matter what he does.

What if he murdered your whole family, burned anfield to the ground, joined united and scored a hat-trick against us ?? ;)
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #82: Feb 03, 2009 07:28:27 pm
      What if he murdered your whole family, burned anfield to the ground, joined united and scored a hat-trick against us ?? ;)

How you even thought of that stuns me.
      corballyred
      • Banned

• 17,707 posts | 307 
      Reply #83: Feb 03, 2009 07:38:59 pm
      Come on! If Liverpool were drawing 0-0 into the nintieth minute and they need 3 points to beat Utd to win the title and Gerrard dived to win us a penalty which won us the title would you be disappointed with Gerrard because I wouldn't.
      « Last Edit: Feb 03, 2009 07:40:27 pm by CRK, Reason: Spell check, caps lock. Use them. »
      Podge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,095 posts | 14 
      Reply #84: Feb 03, 2009 07:46:23 pm
      How you even thought of that stuns me.

I have an incredibly active and frightningly grim imagination!

Come on! If Liverpool were drawing 0-0 into the nintieth minute and they need 3 points to beat Utd to win the title and Gerrard dived to win us a penalty which won us the title would you be disappointed with Gerrard because I wouldn't.

At the same time you have to ask if we were drawing 0-0 against the mancs and Ronaldo dived in the 90th minute and got a penalty to win the game would you be happy ?? Diving is not a nice aspect to the game and it can ruin it but this is the real world and it exists and all we can do is try to be honest or benefit from that aspect of the game as much as everyone else does.
      « Last Edit: Feb 03, 2009 07:47:34 pm by CRK »
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,708 posts | 3716 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #85: Feb 03, 2009 07:47:22 pm
      Me neither. I would be very proud of him. Maradona scored with his hand, therefore it is peanut.
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,539 posts | 34 
      Reply #86: Feb 03, 2009 08:08:15 pm
      Not sure what to make of this thread, who honestly has lost respect for our captain?
      I can't remember him properly diving for a long long time, he may have over done the theatrics but he was was still fouled.
      Loss of respect?  Never!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #87: Feb 03, 2009 08:18:44 pm
      who honestly has lost respect for our captain?
      Loss of respect?  Never!

I don't know the summers of 2004 and 2005 were testing times  :f_whistle:
      alsmal
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,539 posts | 34 
      Reply #88: Feb 03, 2009 08:19:35 pm

I don't know the summers of 2004 and 2005 were testing times  :f_whistle:

I'm sure Rick the pr**k didn't help those situations did he?
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,235 posts | 8573 
      Reply #89: Feb 03, 2009 08:32:27 pm
      Agreed, old argument anyway, just glad he ours!

Another couple tomorrow and heap further misery on the blueshite :)
      « Last Edit: Feb 03, 2009 08:32:59 pm by CRK »
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #90: Feb 03, 2009 08:33:42 pm
      Agreed, old argument anyway, just glad he ours!

Another couple tomorrow and heap further misery on the blueshite :)

Hopefully fella. Would be class to see him throw a few raspers in at their place.

Derby hat trick? Imagine it! :D
      ohcampione
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 48 posts |
      Reply #91: Feb 03, 2009 08:39:50 pm
      Let them say what they want hes our's an always will be! We dont need Cockneys to lick his arse! We know he's class!
      « Last Edit: Feb 03, 2009 08:45:26 pm by CRK »
      CRK
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 13,604 posts | 361 
      • JFT96 YNWA
      Reply #92: Feb 03, 2009 08:45:48 pm
      Let them say what they want hes our's an always will be! We dont need Cockneys to lick his arse! We know he's class!

:D Fantastic point, well made!
      bartman49
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,157 posts | 37 
      Reply #93: Feb 03, 2009 08:52:23 pm
      Strange piece of play that led to the penalty and I dunno if it was a pen or not but what it wasn't was a dive (I hope I'm thinking of the same foul as you) SG was knocked flying and like Stevie said anywhere else on the field it was a foul and so it must have been a pen so how could he dive.....
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #94: Feb 03, 2009 08:58:55 pm
      i couldn't give a sh*t if he dives or not.  when he's on the pitch he gives 100% to win the game for us.  if that involves taking the odd tumble here and there, thats fine by me.

lets not kid ourselves here, 99.9% of players have taken a dive at some stage or another, it's just some are more prone to it than others, namely that greasy knob playing for the scum.
      red_kaiser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,506 posts | 60 
      Reply #95: Feb 04, 2009 12:19:17 pm
      Actually who can rasie a finger on Gerrard,not blues because Drogba does it all the time not mancs because Ronaldo does it all the time not gunners,well who even cares if they do complain they are not even competing for the title.

I would still not classify Gerrard's falls as dives because there is always some contact involved & maybe he goes down too easily sometimes but he has a right to do so if the opponent does make contact with him.

Loss of respect??For the same guy who won us CL & FA cup almost single-handedly.For the same guy who refused
      to join the greener grass on the other side & stuck with us through our highs & lows.For the same guy who would very well go down in anfield books as one of the best ever if not the best.I cant do that maybe you could.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #96: Feb 04, 2009 01:38:01 pm
      Actually who can rasie a finger on Gerrard,not blues because Drogba does it all the time not mancs because Ronaldo does it all the time not gunners,well who even cares if they do complain they are not even competing for the title.

I would still not classify Gerrard's falls as dives because there is always some contact involved & maybe he goes down too easily sometimes but he has a right to do so if the opponent does make contact with him.

Loss of respect??For the same guy who won us CL & FA cup almost single-handedly.For the same guy who refused
      to join the greener grass on the other side & stuck with us through our highs & lows.For the same guy who would very well go down in anfield books as one of the best ever if not the best.I cant do that maybe you could.
      Its all horseshit mate the only context you can use in the respect and Steven Gerrard situation is just how high does your respect go? The lad would give everything for LFC that is for starters,his contribution cannot be measured, respect doesn't even cover it.

Quick Reply